Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm so tired of Batman falling down holes and surprise it's a bat. Of all the retarded poo poo to carry over from Batman forever why THAT???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it owns so hard that all the people involved in the production thought the martha bit was good.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
For once I wanna see Bruce Wayne fall into an old well or w/e only to have it be full of rats and rusty microwaves. Alfred's dumb lesson for that day can be the importance of keeping your tetanus shots up to date.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dmitri-9 posted:

Valerian is an 70s comic book not YA fiction.

Is the awkward, lovely love story between Valerian and Cara Delivigne in the comics? Maybe it was portrayed better, but it felt very 'YA-y' to me.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

it owns so hard that all the people involved in the production thought the martha bit was good.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Subway is a pretty good really early Luc Besson movie, but it's hard to recommend because it's really French and kind of weird and boring.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Jeremy Irons is a bad Alfred and I'll just lie down on the floor and wait for everyone to come punch and kick me

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bvs writer: mannnn...how am i ever gonna solve this conflict. wait...martha kent....martha wayne...

*start writing like crazy with his tongue sticking out*

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's not that bad.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Paladinus posted:

It's not that bad.

Actually it really is.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Valerian bad so what

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Paladinus posted:

It's not that bad.

yes it loving is lmao

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

if anything that should have been the indicator that clark is a loving alien and will never be one of us. no human could gently caress up speaking that badly.

Seriously. Why wouldn't he say "Save my mother" and it could basically have the same effect as Wayne realizes that this thing he's fighting has a mother just like he had.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

WampaLord posted:

Seriously. Why wouldn't he say "Save my mother" and it could basically have the same effect as Wayne realizes that this thing he's fighting has a mother just like he had.

I know linking to other movie reviewers is basically sacrilege in this thread but MovieBob (warning, extreme Boston accent) has a pretty long dissection of BvS (it's into 2 parts now, going for a 3rd) and his whole thing is only doing positive reviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9juReoJxI0

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'd say the biggest issue is that Zack Snyder is extremely cynical and mean spirited.
Like making Batman a mass murderer is one thing, fine whatever but making Superman a psychopathic Alien is just so so bad and missing the point.

I knew I'd hate BVS when about twenty seconds in, we get a "cool" close up of Martha Wayne being shot in the face and you could just tell Snyder had a raging boner for that shot.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paladinus posted:

It's not that bad.

what the gently caress is wrong with you?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

As a poster, he's not that bad.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

It's not that bad.

bvs or valerian? either way it literally is that bad.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

13Pandora13 posted:

I know linking to other movie reviewers is basically sacrilege in this thread but MovieBob (warning, extreme Boston accent) has a pretty long dissection of BvS (it's into 2 parts now, going for a 3rd) and his whole thing is only doing positive reviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9juReoJxI0

Jesus, does that guy ever breathe?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

13Pandora13 posted:

I know linking to other movie reviewers is basically sacrilege in this thread but MovieBob (warning, extreme Boston accent) has a pretty long dissection of BvS (it's into 2 parts now, going for a 3rd) and his whole thing is only doing positive reviews

He's pretty good, I started watching some of his "How to fix X movie" videos and they're fairly insightful.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Okay, it's pretty bad. But is it that bad? I don't think so.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Who is that anyway I don't even remember him posting in this thread.

It's me isn't it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Shinjobi posted:

I will never take any BvS defender seriously, regardless of the cut they watched, because the movie opens on young Bruce Wayne summoning bats to lift him out of a well.

I've said this before, but if the film could be watched with only film score playing, no dialog, it would probably be a great experience and we'd be free to fill in our own story to explain the action going on.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I like Batman v Superman (the Directors cut anyway) and that Martha scene just fell flat on it's face.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

a bone to pick posted:

Is the awkward, lovely love story between Valerian and Cara Delivigne in the comics? Maybe it was portrayed better, but it felt very 'YA-y' to me.

It feels like YA because Cara Delivigne and the lead guy both look about 15.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Paladinus posted:

Okay, it's pretty bad. But is it that bad? I don't think so.

If you mean the movie, then okay, I didn't see it so I won't disagree.

But if you mean the Martha thing, yah I'll disagree. That might be the dumbest plot device ever. I know I've said it before, but the first time I heard it I legit 100% assumed it was a Mike Stoklasa joke. And even then I thought the hyperbole was a but thick. It's like finding out Zombie-Zod eating people was really in the film.

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 1, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The "MARTHA!" thing isn't even the worst part about it. It's Batman instantly doing a complete 180 after hearing it. Evidently that's all he needed to hear despite the fact that he was ready to kill Superman seconds before and just loving cutting his face up with kryptonnite like a loving sadistic psychopath.

BvS also had some needlessly dark imagery:

Like what the gently caress?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Love when movies about dudes in capes and external underwear take the time to be sadistic to every female character to the point of it being a clear sexual perversion of the director whose previous film was a women-in-prison sexploitation trash reel.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

I liked the way he ponderously cracks his left hand with the gauntlet on, then punches ironman with the right.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

a women-in-prison sexploitation trash reel.

Yeah, Sucker Punch is dope.

e: gently caress yeah sucker punch

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Love when movies about dudes in capes and external underwear take the time to be sadistic to every female character to the point of it being a clear sexual perversion of the director whose previous film was a women-in-prison sexploitation trash reel.

This post is a joke, right?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
my name is the batman and i summon bats in my times of need

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

viral spiral posted:

yeah i mean they removed the external underwear

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

viral spiral posted:

He's right

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Joss Whedons idea of feminism is to have a Strong Female Character in skimpy clothes kick butt! Buffy Killed the poo poo outta Vampires or whatever! Progress!

It's like what you'd expect a teenagers idea of female empowerment.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Yaws posted:

Joss Whedons idea of feminism is to have a Strong Female Character in skimpy clothes kick butt! Buffy Killed the poo poo outta Vampires or whatever! Progress!

Considering the target audience...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Collin completely falling apart at the Osteoporosis Dance commentary is still one of my all time favorite things. Dude just couldn't put himself back together.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Harveygod posted:

If you mean the movie, then okay, I didn't see it so I won't disagree.

But if you mean the Martha thing, yah I'll disagree. That might be the dumbest plot device ever. I know I've said it before, but the first time I heard it I legit 100% assumed it was a Mike Stoklasa joke. And even then I thought the hyperbole was a but thick. It's like finding out Zombie-Zod eating people was really in the film.

I mean the execution was way over the top, but the idea that Batman understands that Superman is as human as he himself is was okay.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Yaws posted:

You forgot that "female empowerment" is setting up Strong Female Characters then breaking them down thoroughly so you can lovingly film them whimpering and crying in the fetal position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Zack Snyder is a better feminist than Joss Whedon.