Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

World War 2 space combat, and capital ships have 50 crew? :laffo:

The earliest WW2 Aircraft Carriers had more than 800 people on board and that only functioned with hopes and 1940 duct tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Michaellaneous posted:

World War 2 space combat, and capital ships have 50 crew? :laffo:

The earliest WW2 Aircraft Carriers had more than 800 people on board and that only functioned with hopes and 1940 duct tape.

well they are modelling a 100 Ton Ben Lesnicks crew so that is 5000 Ton of crews

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Daztek posted:

The first guy is talking about a thread on the RSI forums

Is it just me or is everything broken?

Featuring god tier posts by LeSabre and FrigginTommyNoble.

and lol, LeSabre is on probation

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

EminusSleepus posted:

well they are modelling a 100 Ton Ben Lesnicks crew so that is 5000 Ton of crews

Don't let all the Bens run to one side of the spaceship or else we will keel over.

Capsizing in space.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I can deal with the idea that something like the Idris is only going to have 50 crew, but it depends on how they hand-wave it for the lore while still justifying the need to have a person at every bullshit station.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

A fine line between deft salesperson and retarded customer indeed

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

Don't let all the Bens run to one side of the spaceship or else we will keel over.

Capsizing in space.
There's a fun indie game idea in here - sort of like FTL, but on the high seas, and all the crew are fleshblimps that you have to carefully distribute around the ship for fear of capsizing.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I don't see how "good understanding of software development" would change ones view on SC. garbage is garbage, no matter if you know how it became garbage in the first place.

I've been distracted the last week or so, since I just found the Tails Got Trolled thread over at BSS. Anything real spectacular of note in the last 70 pages or so?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Daztek posted:

The first guy is talking about a thread on the RSI forums

Is it just me or is everything broken?

Featuring god tier posts by LeSabre and FrigginTommyNoble.

and lol, LeSabre is on probation

Doesn't say for how long any more. I'm guessing 20 years for wrongthink?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Berious posted:

Doesn't say for how long any more. I'm guessing 20 years for wrongthink?

Just a day apparently: This citizen is currently on probation until 2016-03-09 12:53 for misconduct.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Goddamn. This is beautiful and terrifying.

It almost gets musical in the middle. The ending is great.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
An old friend returns

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

That second thing makes me laugh.

CIG needs to "design their architecture to this scope".

The Problem

They skipped the BORING stuff that those BORING tie-wearing, nine-to-five, SQUARES do, and didn't write a detailed FSD. So they have no formal scope. They are the cool, anti-establishment, special super-coders, sticking it to the man, and consoles, and publishers. So they cut out all that crap and just started coding.

Scope Vomit

Whenever CR said, "Yes, of course we'll have that in the game", that's the scope. "Yes" to this. "Yes" to that. "Yes" was the word, as it brought in money.

What was the question again?

Oh, yeah.

"If a project takes 3 years, starts out with 2 people working on it, then their work gets discarded and reworked by 4 people in year 2, discarded again and redone by 6 people in year 3, does that mean 50% of the work was done in year 3? Or did the first two years not count?

"A code is executed in different code paths. If one path is not reachable because of a bug, but contains a few more bugs, then fixing the first bug doesn't introduce 4000 new bugs." Correct. But the problem is, there are ten thousand bugs in the code that is executing. Forget the special snowflake bugs hiding behind broken logic flow.

I said "logic flow", but I was thinking "goto" statements.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well as far as we know, CIG is using Visual Studio for coding. Which does normally generate warnings about unreachable code (after compiling). Unless it's unreachable due to external factors (User input or any other external data).

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

An old friend returns

I wonder what he thinks he's accomplishing?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:allears:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Kegslayer posted:

Its actually really common for companies to get a line of credit since it allows you to smooth out cash flow and to pay suppliers and employees when you're having a bad week. Nobody is going to keep $110M in cash just sitting in the piggy bank for a rainy day.

Basically as long as money keeps coming in, the bank is going to be happy to keep lending to you. It's only going to look deeper at your business when something comes up with your ability to service the loan or during a random audit. They don't have the resources to track the progress of every business they loan money to so if everything looks good on paper then it's all good.

Yeh, not the $110M seating in the piggy bank obviously, but enough to maintain and keep rolling your opex. The main reasons in asking for a loan to cover opex, assuming there is enough cash to self fund it, is if the eventual tax offset (or an alternative investment placement for that cash) is more attractive than the loan rates themselves.

A debt has to be paid back anyways, so the the loan can not really be counted as net reserves for CIG, its cost may be offseted by tax deductions or alternative investments but the principal will still represent a liability in the balance sheet.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Daztek posted:

Just a day apparently: This citizen is currently on probation until 2016-03-09 12:53 for misconduct.

Thanks for letting me know, as CIG haven't even so much as sent me an email or allowed me to log in to see the length of the "Probation". :colbert:

My only regret is that I did get my dates wrong when stating how how out touch with gaming croberts is, other than that, a fun time was had and many feathers were rustled. :cheers:

Krakenwagen
Oct 31, 2015

Mr Fronts posted:

That second thing makes me laugh.

CIG needs to "design their architecture to this scope".

The Problem

They skipped the BORING stuff that those BORING tie-wearing, nine-to-five, SQUARES do, and didn't write a detailed FSD. So they have no formal scope. They are the cool, anti-establishment, special super-coders, sticking it to the man, and consoles, and publishers. So they cut out all that crap and just started coding.

Scope Vomit

Whenever CR said, "Yes, of course we'll have that in the game", that's the scope. "Yes" to this. "Yes" to that. "Yes" was the word, as it brought in money.

What was the question again?

Oh, yeah.

"If a project takes 3 years, starts out with 2 people working on it, then their work gets discarded and reworked by 4 people in year 2, discarded again and redone by 6 people in year 3, does that mean 50% of the work was done in year 3? Or did the first two years not count?

"A code is executed in different code paths. If one path is not reachable because of a bug, but contains a few more bugs, then fixing the first bug doesn't introduce 4000 new bugs." Correct. But the problem is, there are ten thousand bugs in the code that is executing. Forget the special snowflake bugs hiding behind broken logic flow.

I said "logic flow", but I was thinking "goto" statements.

:boom:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

hanales posted:

I do not know, but I am really glad he is trying

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

EightAce posted:

yes of course they will have done due diligence. However they will only have seen the actual cash in the bank and revenue stream back when the finances were a bit healthier. Remember that (None German) auditors are only interested in what they can see as tangible assets and revenue as they know the square root of gently caress all about game development etc.They simply wouldn't know where to look for warning signs ......... like this forum for example.

i'm guessing they got the loan for credit building purposes?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

hanales posted:

Other than proving he's an ignorant racist, not much.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

If only I could get the mean people to stop laughing at my game it would finally come out.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

LuiCypher posted:

Other than proving he's an ignorant racist, not much.

There is something magical to me when someone attacks by telling someone else that you are a 'mong' and buddy up to them, only for that person to be like 'wtf' and...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I don't understand why he is so against mangoes. They are delicious.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

peter gabriel posted:

There is something magical to me when someone attacks by telling someone else that you are a 'mong' and buddy up to them, only for that person to be like 'wtf' and...

Concerning "Major Tom": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoW4Vw4XGAs

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Genghis Khan was a Mongol.

I think he's trying to pay you a complement :pgabz:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Michaellaneous posted:

Capsizing in space.
So that's why all the ships are spinning in the PU. Those are unfastened virtual Bens rolling over.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IkZFLXjMoo

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

So that's why all the ships are spinning in the PU. Those are unfastened virtual Bens rolling over.

That explains why the performance is so bad. The CPU load of simulating all those Bens must be fantastic.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
"Oh god commander, it's worse than I could have ever imagined!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Quick question on the 30 gig patches: couldn't CIG just use basic torrent technology that hashes existing files into ~5mb chunks and only downloads the changed pieces?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fuctifino posted:

Genghis Khan was a Mongol.

I think he's trying to pay you a complement :pgabz:

I hope so!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

In retrospect, the previous advice I gave you might not have been the best EightAce. So I Googled some more and found this:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/when-human-resources-corrupt-steven-kalavity

When Human Resources is Corrupt

Summary: you're hosed.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Chris Roberts is my anti-drug

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

EightAce posted:

As in:
'hey look Mr bank manager a load of Autistic wealthy people have given us a poo poo load of cash and whats more will continue to do so whenever we ask. Can we take out some safe loans against this never ending income stream , just for day to day operating costs and what have you ?'.

Bank manger: 'No way we don't touch new media or video games etc too risky .......... hang on a loving minute , does that counter say £90 million !!!!!!! . Ahem .... will 8 million do for starters sir?'

This would actually make me more worried that they were running out of money. If they have a bunch of cash and a consistent revenue stream then there isn't a reason to take out a loan. They are instead giving up money later for money now. This is not the sign of a company flush with cash.

If they needed that money to cover operating expenses they are in serious trouble. The interest on those loans will only increase their operational cost. This coupled with the decreased funding rate could cause CIG to fail even faster. They are probably betting that SQ42 will keep them solvent, but I don't think it will bring in significant numbers even if they manage to release it.

I enjoy your insider knowledge, but I think now is the time to find another job, not when they start missing paychecks. Although, the UK probably has a lot better unemployment than the US so you might be ok.

Duckaerobics fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 8, 2016

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like the volume of not understanding game development posts has greatly increased recently. When that great argument is your last best fallback you probably have some problems commandos

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like the volume of not understanding game development posts has greatly increased recently. When that great argument is your last best fallback you probably have some problems commandos

Nah, they'll always have the good ol' "It's alpha"

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

No Mods No Masters posted:

I saw an non ironic 'rome wasn't built in a day' earlier and I felt blessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Now... I'm no fidelitous game designer, but wouldn't you need atmosphere to have exhaust curl like that?

• Locked thread