Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Well, its the closest i got since mechs are shaped like things that can move.
Theres no gyro that cuold stabilize a ben-shaped mech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

MedicineHut posted:

Lol. Regular debt then. Debt needs to be repayed though.

Not even Lloyds or RBS would have been reckless enough to offer a loan based on a webpage counter... If this is true then it means that at least someone in the bank industry may have had a chance to look at CIG financials?

What fucks the mind is how on earth a company supposedly inundated in cash needs a loan for operating expenses. Unless of course...

Its actually really common for companies to get a line of credit since it allows you to smooth out cash flow and to pay suppliers and employees when you're having a bad week. Nobody is going to keep $110M in cash just sitting in the piggy bank for a rainy day.

Basically as long as money keeps coming in, the bank is going to be happy to keep lending to you. It's only going to look deeper at your business when something comes up with your ability to service the loan or during a random audit. They don't have the resources to track the progress of every business they loan money to so if everything looks good on paper then it's all good.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

intardnation posted:

WOW didnt realize that. Hubris.

So he over promised drove the studio into the ground and had his brother clean up the mess while he chased dreams in moving pictures?

I dont know the full chronology of CR. I was kinda running off what Eight said a few days ago.

Basically the closer he has gotten to total control over a project, the worse the results are.

Star Citizen is what happens when total control crosses with unlimited cash and no deadlines

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ben's actually a gusion, just with far tinier arms.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Oh to be a fly on the wall when Romero meets with Chris

That office is probably like 20 mins from me I should be that fly

Also whoever made the Gary old man xenonorph mouth shop in that gbs prissy thread I showed it to one of the devs couple months back. Not sure if you read this thread but you should be proud

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 8, 2016

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Pewdipie, or whatever his name is, is loving awful. If Derek attacked him he should get a loving medal.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Soothing Vapors posted:

This thread should go in some sort of national archive or something

don't worry reddit is taking care of it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I am just insanely inspired this week. Presenting another loop, a companion to the previous one with extra features:

* Cool immersion gameplay
* It's like the parps follow you around the room
* What's this?! Backwards masking? Whatever could it be?! Hail Satan!
* Hey Reddit, archive this!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Unironic "if you think about it development didn't really begin until the summer of 2015".

Pictured here, content getting churned out by CIG

now that the beast is in full creation mode the speed is tripling every second and it shows no sign of slowing down.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 8, 2016

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
i engaged some actual citizens some days ago and i regretted it almost instantly. at the end the only things i got out of them was:

"star citizen is the most ambitious project yet"
"have you ever played a alpha with this much content?"
"i have full faith in chris roberts, even tho i know hes not perfect and i dont think he ever set out to scam anyone"

im never doing it again and i feel like a idiot for doing it in the first place, i have no idea how some of you can actually talk to these people on the reg

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Really? Giving you cancer, redditfriend? Or do you mean it's giving you ca-tpictures and recipes?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Massive hiring waves.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

Really? Giving you cancer, redditfriend? Or do you mean it's giving you ca-tpictures and recipes?

The first guy is talking about a thread on the RSI forums

Is it just me or is everything broken?

Featuring god tier posts by LeSabre and FrigginTommyNoble.

and lol, LeSabre is on probation

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

If you think about it, they hired a couple of guys last week so the actual development work with the current team only just started.

Krakenwagen
Oct 31, 2015
Whoever posted about Naval Action some hundred pages back, thanks. Got it yesterday and it feels solid and fun. An actual working Alpha, I wonder how they do it! Such skill, very no cig.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

Well I guess I can't blame them. The RSI forums are cancerous - just not for the reason they think.

Godspeed Tommy and LeSabre. Thank you for delving the depths of the sea so I don't have to.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Been catching up on the thread after being away for a few days, and this stood out like hell.

A capital ship with a crew of 50? FIFTY??!! Let's look at the crew numbers of other ships in Sci-Fi:

Battlestar Galactica: 5000
USS Enterprise-D: 1014
Eve Titan (any): est 15,000

But hey, why beat around the bush. Let's just look at the real world Nimitz class Aircraft carrier, with it's crew of 6000

FIFTY??

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Xaerael posted:

Been catching up on the thread after being away for a few days, and this stood out like hell.

A capital ship with a crew of 50? FIFTY??!! Let's look at the crew numbers of other ships in Sci-Fi:

But hey, why beat around the bush. Let's just look at the real world Nimitz class Aircraft carrier, with it's crew of 6000

FIFTY??

It's one of those weird situations where presumably they're not expecting that to be 50 human players - but if they're using AI, then why stop at 50?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Well I guess I can't blame them. The RSI forums are cancerous - just not for the reason they think.

Godspeed Tommy and LeSabre. Thank you for delving the depths of the sea so I don't have to.

LeSabre received the highest commendation from the CIG forum mods and now wears his "On Probation" badge with pride, knowing that they would rather censor people who get a little too close to the truth. o9

Or just for having fun epic trolling the white knights :flashfap:

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
Are there even 50 npcs in the whole server right now? Lol

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Shrinkage posted:

are there even 50 players in a server right now?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Shrinkage posted:

I think so, but they're about as active as the NPCs in Line of Defense.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Xaerael posted:

FIFTY??
50 is a destroyer crew. That kind of ship you use when you don't really need mad firepower but an inflatable dinghy is too shaky.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

There's some more good shitizen logic in this thread but a lot of people just don't much for Star Citizen apparently: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/49h8i8/star_citizen_10_for_the_chairman_vulkan/

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Daztek posted:

That's a surprise!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SelenicMartian posted:

50 is a destroyer crew. That kind of ship you use when you don't really need mad firepower but an inflatable dinghy is too shaky.

You're really downplaying destroyers. An Aleigh Burke crews some 300 and carries enough Tomahawks to fund an entire space MMO.

A crew of 50 and “a step up from a dinghy” seems more suitable to describe a corvette/littoral combat ship or maybe a small cutter of some sort.

:goonsay:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Does LeSabre have an account on here yet?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chalks posted:

Does LeSabre have an account on here yet?

Pretty sure he even posted on this very page :v:

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Might add a disclaimer to the video

"I could be playing The Division right now..."

Homeworld remastered for tha win...lol

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Good morning Chris Roberts!

Try to go easy on the pot today, okay?

And see if you can find out who is blowing you off on that whole chat window overhaul and fire them for insubordination.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

here's his actual response. fuckin hell.

quote:

So there’s a really really cool plan it’s going to be done by combination of DevOps team in Austin and the folks in the Frankfurt office and Turbulent are all putting this together and building and it’s going to be super cool!

They're using three different offices to build a patching tool? Admittedly I know zero about coding but that seems excessive.

But Chris does say it is "super cool" so it must be special.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

intardnation posted:

WOW didnt realize that. Hubris.

So he over promised drove the studio into the ground and had his brother clean up the mess while he chased dreams in moving pictures?

I dont know the full chronology of CR. I was kinda running off what Eight said a few days ago.

My understanding of the Chris Roberts chronology:

Worked at Origin. Made Wing Commander.

Did other stuff while Wing Commander 2 (aka Best Wing Commander) was made. Conceptualized Privateer while his brother (aka Roberts the Competent) produced it.

Came back to direct Wing Commander 3 and 4.

Left Origin in 1996 to form Digital Anvil, which also included Tony Zurovec, Eric Peterson, and Erin Roberts. Made a deal with Microsoft in 1997. Digital Anvil's first title was Starlancer, which was done in conjunction with Warthog Studios (run by Erin Roberts). Digital Anvil was also the effects house for the Wing Commander movie. The movie came out in 1999, and shortly thereafter Microsoft acquired Digital Anvil and kicked Chris Roberts to the curb.

He then created Point of No Return Entertainment with the intent of producing entertainment, then founded Ascendant Pictures and produced The Punisher, Lucky Number Slevin, and Lord of War. Was sued by Kevin Costner for promising a role that never materialized and was blackballed from Hollywood.

Formed Cloud Imperium Games in 2011. Has yet to make Star Citizen.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

alphabettitouretti posted:

They're using three different offices to build a patching tool? Admittedly I know zero about coding but that seems excessive.

By spreading work around various separate offices you can blame communication issues for it never getting done.

Given how badly the things they do implement actually work it may be for the best; any patcher they put together would probably use a torrent style p2p methodology to save them on bandwidth, and it would still accidentally mine bitcoins or something.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Props to whoever had to stare into the mouth of madness to transcribe 10FTC. When reading them, it's interesting to notice that once you parse the whole lot of nothing that Chris says, he never actually answers the original question. It also seems to me that none of the game exists on paper, and not even really in his mind - it seems to me that he makes it up as he goes along whenever those questions come up. He's Fletch playing the role of CEO.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

alphabettitouretti posted:

But Chris does say it is "super cool" so it must be special.

In true CIG fashion, the new patcher will contain a number of funnovative features:

- A webapp that launches a German-language launcher

- Which then re-downloads all your game files to verify your installation before launching the Patcher

- Which then downloads the patch (see, the patch is much smaller now!) while displaying a cool 3D isometric representation of the patch being assembled, a la any hacking scene in the 90s, and then CTDs at 95% completion.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

EightAce: watch for these warning signs:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/03/23/is-your-boss-alcoholic-or-addict.html

Is your boss an alcoholic or an addict?
So the next time your boss acts in an erratic way, look for these tell-tale signs:

-Erratic Mood Swings

-Unexplained disappearances

-Change in physical appearance (i.e. weight loss; facial puffiness; red or pinpoint eyes)

-Deteriorating personal hygiene

-Deceitful behavior

-Falling asleep or nodding out

What can you do if your boss is indeed a closet drug addict? Depending on what kind of relationship you have with them, you can suggest that they get help. If they seem receptive, you can even help them find a good clinician or treatment program.

If you don’t have that kind of relationship with your boss, you can alert Human Resources—while you may feel uncomfortable reporting your bosses problematic behavior, understand that addiction is a life and death issue and getting the addict help is of utmost importance.

TL;DR: they recommend you inform Human Resources about this situation.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Daztek posted:

I know I know nothing about Games Development but I am an enterprise software engineer and the Alpha confuses me so much. Like when we do an Alpha it's bare bones, so lots of features don't work but the ones that do work actually work. CIG seems to have gone mile wide inch deep and put in loads and loads of features, none of which work correctly. It just seems incredible that they're continuing to add different ships etc when core features, like being able to walk to your ship and fly it around is fundamentally broken. Every patch they're fixing bugs they've created in features that should never have been in the Alpha in the first place.

I was in the World of Warships closed beta and that had only a very small number of ships and maps etc until all the core functionality was completed. You could sail around and shoot each other etc. Once it got to that stage and ONLY at that stage did they start adding more ships to the game. Then different types of ships etc. But always building on the core they had completed already.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The developers have a way clearer picture of what they are doing than Chris himself and its incredibly obvious that he's the biggest inhibiting factor in the entire production. Like someone behind the scenes is trying his or her damnedest to get something out and whenever chris rushes in a meeting with a head full of coke that person dies a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Erenthal posted:

A very displeased cat. Unfortunately he suffered a progressive kidney failure a few weeks after this picture was taken, and I had to put him down. He lived 12 years, but never to see Star Citizen released :(

Sorry about your loss :(
The upturned V white pattern on his nose reminds me of my catte that passed away last year :(, also of kidney failure.

• Locked thread