Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Snoo posted:

gonna go ahead and say the taste in music isn't the biggest issue here

I think it is, but its entirely about being an inspiration to the songwriters of Oingo Boingo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

girl pants posted:

is it bitter because the ownership of their funkopops is contested

it's bitter because he's a selfish manchild

oh, sorry, that didn't answer your question. no, to my knowledge there are no funkopops involved. there are two small children however :(

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

LadyPictureShow posted:

My boyfriend and I went to a wedding of his friend. It was Nic Cage themed (they got engaged at a Nic Cage festival and the wife had a tattoo from the event on her hamhock of an arm). It was like a ‘dress up as a Nic Cage character’ theme.

I styled a wig and did face paint for Ghost Rider. Only it turned out the entirety of the wedding was ‘sit down, eat a vegan burger, sit through Vampire’s Kiss and then ?????’

So after the ceremony they just wheeled out a tv/projector and told everyone to quietly watch Vampires Kiss? Did they mention before the wedding this would be happening?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Oh hey its that guy i carpooled with in highschool. Pro-tip, lady, time to brush up on your knowledge of the down low.

Btw I am mad that You didn’t respond to my dig at fruhlings erwaschen, a bona fide piece of poopoo

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

blarzgh posted:

I guess I'm only 33% gay.

well, which one is i... you know what, I'd rather not know.

Here are some of the 19 year old's comments:

quote:

[–]ShyGuyWithoutExp 0 points 5 years ago
Well thanks n.n

I know, it would be awesome if we both liked the exact same music. But I guess you are right. And we have a lot of other stuff in common, so we can overlook this.

And in regards of where I met her. Well, she's a friend of a friend, (most of my friends are actually 15-16 years old), but we actually met on a local geek meetup, and we got to know on a post-zombie-walk-fest.

I was on college, I dropped months ago, I'm now in kind of a neet state, looking forward to get out of it.

quote:

[–]ShyGuyWithoutExp 1 point 5 years ago
I have web developing skills, so my "life-plan" has been making websites and collect paychecks from Google. You are allowed to laugh and call me naive, everyone does.

As I was saying, I need a job. At least just to put my poo poo together get me life in order.

In response to saying he wants to do SEO:

quote:

[–][deleted] 2 points 5 years ago
A friend makes good money with SEO. If you are smart and able to build a client base locally, I don't see why you couldn't do it. You'll still want a degree but it is doable. Hard work but doable.

[–]ShyGuyWithoutExp 1 point 5 years ago
Thanks. I actually like to learn stuff, so I'll probably study something computer or electronic related at some point, I'm just looking for independence right now. I might not look like it, but I'm really hard working when properly motivated.

Thanks again.

[–][deleted] 1 point 5 years ago
If you do want to get into SEO and Googel Analystic poo poo, PM me. I'll see if my roommate wants to share his secrets.

[–]ShyGuyWithoutExp 2 points 5 years ago
Thanks, but there is no need, I think I'll be fine ñ.ñ

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Pick posted:

If anyone so much as mentions Rent during my wedding I’m burning it all down w/ everyone inside

I hadn't seen it before "Team America" came out. I laughed my rear end off when I did watch "Rent" and realized "Everybody has AIDS" was a pretty good summary. Because, holy poo poo!, everybody does have AIDS in that show. I did not like Rent.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's bitter because he's a selfish manchild

oh, sorry, that didn't answer your question. no, to my knowledge there are no funkopops involved. there are two small children however :(

I hope they take the responsibility to get little Luke and Leia into counseling.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

girl pants posted:

quote:

(most of my friends are actually 15-16 years old)

eewwwuuuughhhhhhhhhhhh

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I wonder if there's ever been a geek divorce over whether to name the kids Luke and Leia or Link and Zelda.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Bored posted:

I hadn't seen it before "Team America" came out. I laughed my rear end off when I did watch "Rent" and realized "Everybody has AIDS" was a pretty good summary. Because, holy poo poo!, everybody does have AIDS in that show. I did not like Rent.

I liked how literally none of the starving artists we're making any art that was even close to good, while bucking "the system" that was the only thing keeping them alive.

A Verhoeven Starship Troopers-like adaptation that spends its runtime telling the viewer that the original work was garbage would work well with Rent.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bored posted:

I’ll dance to Pearl Harbor Sucks And I Love You

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

Btw I am mad that You didn’t respond to my dig at fruhlings erwaschen, a bona fide piece of poopoo

Theres too many posts and:

Bored posted:

Rent is complete trash that is morally and ethically bankrupt. I had to listen to that sound track every day at 6 am for a year in highschool so part of me fears i will go out in a blaze of bullets after snapping when somebody casually mentions la vie boheme.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bored posted:

rent is a good litmus because nearly every character in rent is a piece of poo poo and anyone who doesn't recognize that is probably also a piece of poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0qfFbtIj5w

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

I liked how literally none of the starving artists we're making any art that was even close to good, while bucking "the system" that was the only thing keeping them alive.

A Verhoeven Starship Troopers-like adaptation that spends its runtime telling the viewer that the original work was garbage would work well with Rent.

They arent even all starving! One of them is a trust fund kid and one is a techno hacker thief. M

The character who were supposed to mourn the passing of murders a dog in cold blood

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pay your loving rent!!!! Also your art sucks and talk to your dad!!!!! God!!!!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mark's parents love him and all he does is poo poo on them. He Brittas everything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh no, my art is popular I should ruin it! We should protect our controlled rent environment by loving over our friend until hes forced to evict us! gently caress you homeless people, you exist solely for me to treat like noble savages!

Edit: Also AIDS is sad and all of us have it. This shouldnt make you the audience happy but it does because we are horrible.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I have to admit that at this point I would rather listen to Rent than Hamilton.

My sister [18/F] cannot carry a tune or act to save her life, but is encouraging my [25/F] parents [55/F/57/F] to pay her way to Broadway, and they're willing to pay.

quote:

submitted 3 months ago * by ItsDeLovelyyy

My sister (Lola) is eighteen, and the baby of the family. Our parents have spoiled her rotten since she was born, despite having three other children, my brothers (19/21) and myself (25). We usually get neglected, and have had to pay for our own schooling and amenities. I only got my tuition paid for after I complained that they weren't being quite fair. My brothers have given up on college entirely, and I'm currently studying gynecology.

Lola has decided that she has a passion for theatre, after receiving minor roles in school plays for the past 3 years. She's always received a chorus part in the musical, because she cannot sing or act. On stage, she's constantly distracted, and her voice sounds like a terrible recorder performance, and that's being nice.

Last night at a family dinner, she told everyone that she wants to go to New York after high school (she's a senior). My parents asked her why, and she said she wanted to become a Broadway sensation. My brother choked on his water, and we all asked what spurred her decision. She said that she knew this was what she wanted to do, and my parents applauded her. They said she had much more direction than I had at her age, and will ultimately be doing more than the rest of us.

I asked my parents what made them think that while I'm in med school, and my mother replied that "any old person can look at a vagina, it takes a real star to stand out on stage." My father became a little more practical and asked my sister where she was going to get the money for this scheme, and she asked for a loan from them. To my horror, they agreed.

Lola is going around bragging about how she's going to be just like "Hamilton." She's always been pampered and has little idea of what ideas are realistic and what aren't, but this is absurd. Usually, I would let this slide and just laugh when they all come back crying, but her Broadway money is coming out of my med school money. If she ends up dragging this fantasy out longer than a year, I may very well have to find a second or even third job. How can I stop this madness and protect my tuition money?

TL;DR: My sister can't act or sing, but is being financed to get to Broadway by our parents, who are taking her expenses out of my tuition money. How can I get them to reconsider?

EDIT: It’s definitely come to my attention that I’m entitled. Almost 70 people have affirmed that for me. I do understand, but I think a lot of people aren’t entirely clear on the situation I’ve been in.

My parents are a bit nuts. They dropped thousands of dollars on a doomsday bunker when I was younger, and keep it fully stocked and force us to do “apocalypse drills” every few months. They’re also embroiled in a world of conspiracy theories and fantasy, and kept us in it too. I only realized that these theories were a little out of control when I broke my leg two years ago, and refused to take pain meds because my parents convinced me that the government used over-the-counter medications to distribute illegal drugs. My boyfriend persuaded me to take some Advil, and I promptly realized my parents were off on that one.

My dad works in finance, and I’ve always taken his word above all else. It sounds naïve, but I’ve been taught that the world of finance is corrupt, and he knows the true secrets. He “educated” me about loans in a way that made very little sense, but sounded very scary. He told me about a friend of his who killed himself because of debt, and others who lost their homes because of loans they took on in college. It sounds stupid to believe at my age, but these threads were a genuine eye opener about how loans actually work. My dad went over loans and such with me, and talked me out of about every single one.

I also do feel more resentful about my parents’ favoritism than I do about the money. My parents were exotic animal “collectors” (read: hoarders), and when my aunts and uncles convinced them to give up all the animals, they had Lola to fill the void. She was spoiled throughout her entire childhood, and the rest of us did get neglected because of it. My parents routinely stayed home with Lola rather than come out to my sporting events, and would “forget me” at grocery stores and friends’ houses.

I realize my behavior here sounds really childish, but we were always referred to as “money drains” when we were younger. I become defensive about this because it’s basically all I have to “prove” that my parents have some fair in me. Gynecology is a passion of mine, I want everyone to have good health care in a field that’s routinely ignored or shamed. If I had to give that up because of their favoritism, I’d be beyond devastated.

Thanks to everyone for their help, I’m finally understanding what my parents miseducated me about.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Oh hey it's a heroin-addicted stripper I bet a relationship with her is just the thing my continuing recovery needs!

girl pants posted:

My sister [18/F] cannot carry a tune or act to save her life, but is encouraging my [25/F] parents [55/F/57/F] to pay her way to Broadway, and they're willing to pay.

I agree that we all need a break from Hamilton but this is going a little far.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

My husband sold a bunch of my beer

quote:

I know. First world problems.

My husband (41 M) and I (37 F) are big into craft beer. Our marriage is physically lacking, but otherwise, we’re happy together.

We have an enviable craft beer cellar. He’s bought most of them, but I’ve put in considerable money.

So he decided the cellar was getting out of hand and decided to hold a “beer draft” for his buddies and rid ourselves of 160 or so beers.

Quick back up - the night before, I’d cracked one of his beers that was in the fridge and he was snotty about it, so I apologized and said I’d only drink my beer. So I come down and he’s cataloging beers for the draft. Nearly half of them are mine, most of which I obtained when he wasn’t there. First road trip to San Antonio and all. The kicker was a beer I literally bought three weeks ago and pricing into the draft is less than its worth.

I don’t want to make him look like a thieving goober in front of his friends so I played guitar for a while. He sensed something was wrong and I asked him what in hell he was doing. He says a lot of them had “fallen off”, etc. as I watched them pulling more and more of my stuff, I just went upstairs.

He came up later and we got into a really big mostly one sided argument. He apologized profusely and wants to make it right.

I know this all sounds stupid but it amounted to him effectively stealing over 300 dollars worth of my property and selling it without even a text. One of the beers he sold is the Christmas present he got me last year.

Im giving up the hobby, which means I’m also giving up our Valentine’s Day plans and a bunch of others. I slept upstairs last night. I know he’s sorry, but I’m also extremely resentful and feel like he has zero respect for me. Since it’s beer, I think he just wrote it off in his head as “eh, girls and beer” because it would never have occurred to him to put my amp on Craigslist, which would have cost me way less money.

And no, he’s not hiding drugs or a mistress, just “hey, extra cash and clutter clear”.

I feel super betrayed and resent losing my hobby. He’s incredibly sorry but I’m still really angry and I’m not sure where to go from here or how to stop being angry, not how to not have a fight every time there’s a beer event I don’t go to.

Help? TL/DR - my husband sold several hundred dollars worth of my property without asking. He’s sorry; I’m angry. I don’t know where to go.

IS this really about the beer :thunk:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
craft beer people are maaaaaybe almost as bad as cat people

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
For some reason i thought the story was about brewing their own beer and feuding over selling it, but no they just collect beer??

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

How did everyone talk about nerd weddings and not post this loving picture?

I am disappointed in all of you.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

girl pants posted:

Hmm..someone specializing in gynecology in med school while working several jobs but doesn't realize how advil works.

Something in this story smells fishy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Skutter posted:

Jesus. Uncharted Man in the FRONT ROW

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

La Brea Carpet posted:

My husband sold a bunch of my beer

IS this really about the beer :thunk:

X posting from the tindr thread

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
Do people... collect beer? Why?

La Brea Carpet posted:

Hmm..someone specializing in gynecology in med school while working several jobs but doesn't realize how advil works.

Something in this story smells fishy.

To be fair she did say that was years ago.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I haven't seen rent but you all make it sound like it scarred you into seeking out the kind of fresh idiocy and drama that only r/relationships can provide

like the world's lamest stockholm syndrome

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dudeness posted:

For some reason i thought the story was about brewing their own beer and feuding over selling it, but no they just collect beer??

Its like wine collectors, but somehow a step down.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Skutter posted:

surely Hagrid and Chewbacca should be in the back

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

I haven't seen rent but you all make it sound like it scarred you into seeking out the kind of fresh idiocy and drama that only r/relationships can provide

like the world's lamest stockholm syndrome

It is the 90s equivalent of Brigadoon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

girl pants posted:

Racist

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

girl pants posted:

PICTURED: Lena Dunham's origin story

Skutter posted:

all this makes me think is that this couple does not have any friends or family

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

if wanting a good view at shows makes me a racist, so be it

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

girl pants posted:

To compensate, Hulk's out the loving window.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Skutter posted:

Why is that child from the zombie thing getting married to Frodo?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

My [24F] boyfriend [26M] of one year would me like to cosplay for him as an underaged anime girl in the bedroom

quote:

I actually recently told him that if he would want to try something different in general he could be open to me about it. It's not like things have been getting stale or anything but I also wouldn't mind trying some more adventurous stuff every now and then, of course only if we're both okay with it.

So about a week later he shows me this cosplay costume he found online and asks me if I would potentially be open to wearing it in the bedroom. Now I'm not really into anime myself, I don't mind that he his but it's just not for me I guess, but I thought if it's something he'd like to try I wouldn't mind too much playing along with it, so I agreed to it.

Later on I did some research though, I knew the character name so finding the show was easy enough. I found it a bit disturbing to realise that she's only 14-15 in the anime. Generally I wouldn't mind the cosplay thing but I worry that he's maybe sexually interested in her and is trying to use me as a substitute for his fantasies. Her being that young also makes it a bit creepy to me.

I'm not sure if I should tell him now that I have doubts or talk to him what I worry about in regards to the issue, especially since I already agreed to it.

tl;dr: Boyfriend asked me to cosplay for him as a specific underaged anime girl. Not sure if I should be worried about that and don't know how to proceed from here.

quote:

Often our fantasies are not aligned perfectly with what we'd actually do IRL.

My point being: he's making this innocent by doing it with you.

TLDR: not a paedo, go for it, enjoy

quote:

There's someone in this relationship having difficulty differentiating fantasy and reality.

It isn't OP's boyfriend...
:reddit:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RE Rent btw: my wife was obsessed with it as a quirky teen which is a perfectly acceptable reason to like Rent (SEE: the reason I like anything I like)

and I thought the Over The Moon song was decent as in-universe performance art (if a little on the nose) but then I love weird poo poo in general so maybe I'm a bad example

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

wisconsin_chicks.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

It is the 90s equivalent of Brigadoon.

buddy if I don't know from rent what makes you think i'll know a musical from the 50s

you theater kids never change