Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

AF posted:

These are friggin' rad. I've been looking at mid-2000 S60Rs recently. Another fast Swedish sedan, but just not the same in terms of character and charm as your two cars, though.

edit: speaking of fast mid-90's sedans (and panel gaps), here's my Japanese American drama queen

'95 Ford Taurus SHO with the Mazda sourced five speed manual transmission. Last year of the 3.0L V6 by Yamaha. Wonderful engine wrapped up in a bizarre and quirky package. And by quirky, I mean anything that wasn't made by Yamaha on the car is a POS and is on the fritz

I have nothing but love for these. I almost picked one up before I got my CVPI but holy poo poo it was leaking oil like a sieve, smoked up a storm, and it made horrendous noises if you so much as looked at it funny. Didn't have the time or inclination to chase down all the issues so I had to pass on it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

kill me now posted:

Thats a nice change of pace. How many miles on your Z?
Thanks dude, it certainly is. ~57,000 miles on it. Not too bad for a 10 year old but it definitely isn't the 12,000 z that I also looked at.

davebo posted:

I really like this ever-increasing goonvette club we have going to combat the stereotype of 60 year olds who drive them under the speed limit. So is everything stock on that?
For the most part, yes. The wheels are aftermarket and the PO put in a custom stereo (and did a terrible job at that). Besides that, all is stock.

Hashal posted:

What's up C5 Z06 buddy :hfive:

Mine is black as well but with the older(?) style wheels. Mine's an '02. Wheels look like this, but are painted a graphite color instead of the chrome.

Honestly I like your wheels more. I'm not a big fan of these chromies. I'm hoping I can trade them with someone local.

Also thought you guys would enjoy this. I created it for my wife as a joke. Posted it on FB for my friends to see. Then one of my friends put it on reddit and all control was lost after that.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/14/use-this-powerpoint-when-convincing-your-spouse-to-let-you-buy-a/

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

dangerz posted:

Also thought you guys would enjoy this. I created it for my wife as a joke. Posted it on FB for my friends to see. Then one of my friends put it on reddit and all control was lost after that.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/14/use-this-powerpoint-when-convincing-your-spouse-to-let-you-buy-a/

Good god man, you are a genius. I reposted this on my Facebook. Some how, we will get you on the "Today Show".

therealNeoS
Jul 13, 2001
Just picked up a new 2013 Ford Focus ST :)

This thing is an absolute blast. I have been without a turbo car since I wrecked my DSM 5 years ago. Feels good to be back!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Playing in the dirt with my Forester.

copperswallow
Feb 5, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Call me crazy but I love the stock wheels.

I think you're crazy. I cannot stand the stock wheels. :)
I'm about ready to pay someone to take them away.

Yep, joined in on the MZR thread.

How are you liking that ST therealNeoS ? Do you guys have the problem with something similar to SWAS (steering wheel angle sensor) that the MS3s have? Basically shutting down power if your steering wheel is detected to be not at exactly 12 o'clock?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

therealNeoS posted:

Just picked up a new 2013 Ford Focus ST :)

This thing is an absolute blast. I have been without a turbo car since I wrecked my DSM 5 years ago. Feels good to be back!

You bastard. That's what, 4 in AI now?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Billy Tully posted:

Playing in the dirt with my Forester.

You took off the blower :(

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

This is what happens when you take a strange car to the local college for a smog check.

Sabmo
May 7, 2009

AF posted:

These are friggin' rad. I've been looking at mid-2000 S60Rs recently. Another fast Swedish sedan, but just not the same in terms of character and charm as your two cars, though.

edit: speaking of fast mid-90's sedans (and panel gaps), here's my Japanese American drama queen

'95 Ford Taurus SHO with the Mazda sourced five speed manual transmission. Last year of the 3.0L V6 by Yamaha. Wonderful engine wrapped up in a bizarre and quirky package. And by quirky, I mean anything that wasn't made by Yamaha on the car is a POS and is on the fritz

Thanks! 90's sport sedans represent. They are getting pretty old now, but like you said, nothing newer seems to have quite the character.. I have no idea what to replace mine with when the time comes. I'm a huge fan of S60R/V70R's too though - if you're looking at getting one it might be worth knowing that they received a suspension revision halfway through their lifecycle (although I'm not completely sure which year, sorry) that apparently improved the ride quite significantly. I've always wanted to try out their funky looking 6-speed ball shifter thingy.

I'm diggin' your SHO. We never got them on this side of the world :(

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
The 6-speed manuals are fairly uncommon...not as rare as some other models. But I have a 98 V70R auto and it's a lot of fun to drive.

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

Had both cars side-by-side at work the other day, so I took a crappy phone pic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Talking mid 90s "sport" sedans, huh? My 3.4l has a whooping 215hp, though a sedan it is not.

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 15, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cage posted:

Talking mid 90s "sport" sedans, huh? My 3.4l has a whooping 215hp.

3.4 DOHC? That has to be quite possibly the biggest pile of poo poo GM turned out. But when it did run, it was a fun motor ....

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

3.4 DOHC? That has to be quite possibly the biggest pile of poo poo GM turned out. But when it did run, it was a fun motor ....

hey now, it's no 2.8 LR2 60 degree V6.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Oh AI, you and your fancy gadgets and fast cars and killer performance... but without comfort, what does it all mean?

I just sold my 96 Grand Marquis to buy an 86 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegeance. And while I may have sacrificed speed and power, I'll be damned if it's not the nicest, smoothest ride I've ever experienced. Also the slowest.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Speed? Performance?

Pfft.

We just picked this up a couple days ago. 2005 xB, 116k miles, manual transmission, almost spotless. One previous owner, came up from Georgia a couple years ago so it's pretty clean underneath (We live in Pennsylvania, clearly) but it does have some ridiculous factory options, one of which was highlighted in the second photo. Yes, that was to get the Scion logo near-level, not to be 'cool'

Not seen are the blue LED foot well illuminations or the multi-color selectable cupholder illuminations. Someone actually spent ~$500 for these in 2005 (unless, like us, they used them in their bargaining as to why the car is going to sit on the lot a lot longer than they like and why they should take our offer)

KBB places it at around $8200, after sitting on their lot a month they dropped it to $6990, and they took our offer of $6490... with surprisingly/alarmingly little hesitation. It was a trade-in on a new car so I'm sure they made a hefty profit on it even at what we paid.

A great part about it, too, is the Forester it's replacing only had liability and comprehensive, but adding on collision to this one was only $2 a month more. Parts for this are so cheap by comparison it'd make your head spin. $3-400 for a rear bumper for the Forester? $100 for the xB. I don't WANT us to have any car damage issues, but if it's going to happen, it'll hurt a lot less with this.

I didn't like it at all from photos, but once I saw it in person and rode in it I was sold.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

hey now, it's no 2.8 LR2 60 degree V6.

Lets not get started there.

Remember when they shoe horned that pig into the Cherokee? I remember seeing tons of them for sale "2.8 motor is bad, rest is good" ads all the time. They have kinda dried up when people found out how easy it is to throw a 4.0L back into the bay where it belongs.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Faerunner posted:

Speed? Performance?

Pfft.

'Sup Slowbro :hfive:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Comrade Flynn posted:

This is what happens when you take a strange car to the local college for a smog check.

Did it pass? :ohdear:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

djfooboo posted:

'Sup Slowbro :hfive:

:hfive:

Also does anyone know what model those Enkei wheels are? Maybe I should ask in the questions thread. They're 15s which seems to rule out most of their wheels.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Lets not get started there.

Remember when they shoe horned that pig into the Cherokee? I remember seeing tons of them for sale "2.8 motor is bad, rest is good" ads all the time. They have kinda dried up when people found out how easy it is to throw a 4.0L back into the bay where it belongs.

you actually have to do some custom bodywork (read: sledgehammer the gently caress out of the firewall) to fit a 4.0, but people drop in chevy 3.1s and 3.4s all the time (with or without EFI) and get some performance improvement.

And yeah, 2.8s are good for one thing. Spinning rod bearings. Wait, two things, they are good for spinning main bearings and rod bearings. Err, they are good at wrecking cams and cam bearings too I guess... 3 things... I'll come in again.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Nobody Everybody expects the 173 Implosion!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Faerunner posted:

Also does anyone know what model those Enkei wheels are? Maybe I should ask in the questions thread. They're 15s which seems to rule out most of their wheels.

Looks like a J10 in black
http://www.enkei.com/j10.shtml

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Hm... Yeah I can see it. I guess answer found already, thanks djfooboo :D

Edit: Went and looked them up in black, yeah, that's definitely it. Everything else was throwing me because of the thickness of the silver lip on them, that one is dead on.

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 15, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

you actually have to do some custom bodywork (read: sledgehammer the gently caress out of the firewall) to fit a 4.0, but people drop in chevy 3.1s and 3.4s all the time (with or without EFI) and get some performance improvement.

The 60 V6 was never a good truck motor. The torque was all misplaced and well, they just sucked at life. But using a sledge to modify the firewall was so worth it to get a real motor.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Rib Feast posted:

Just had an ECU remap, resonators removed, x-pipe fitted, 2nd cats taken out. I swear rats are coming out at night and eating the tyres :tinfoil:

loving awesome please take backlit burnout pics :allears:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Octopus Magic posted:

Did it pass? :ohdear:

Yeah. It's smog exempt so I'm honestly not sure what they were checking for, but whatever it was it passed.

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009
My baby: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28. I've had this car for 6 years now. It is currently about 95% done with an LS1/T56 swap, I can't wait to get it back on the road. Before this it had a built 350 with MegaSquirt and a T5 manual.

My newest vehicle: 1985 Chevy C10 Silverado. My dad owned this for 8 years and I recently convinced him to sell it to me. It has a mild carb'ed 350/TH350 for now, but one day a 5.3/4L60E combo might find it's way into the bay.

Oh yeah, also some Subarus. 98 Outback and 99 Legacy. One of them will be sold when I get the Camaro running again. The white one used to be my driver before I got the truck.

therealNeoS
Jul 13, 2001

copperswallow posted:

I think you're crazy. I cannot stand the stock wheels. :)
I'm about ready to pay someone to take them away.

Yep, joined in on the MZR thread.

How are you liking that ST therealNeoS ? Do you guys have the problem with something similar to SWAS (steering wheel angle sensor) that the MS3s have? Basically shutting down power if your steering wheel is detected to be not at exactly 12 o'clock?

I have a love hate relationship with the wheels honestly.

Loving my ST2 though. I haven't noticed any loss of power when giving it gas in the corners. I just wish this thing got better gas mileage, but that's expected with my lead foot :D.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

T1g4h posted:

leaking oil like a sieve, smoked up a storm, and it made horrendous noises if you so much as looked at it funny.

Typical SHO presentation. Lucky for me, mine was owned by an SHO enthusiast so he did a fair amount of work himself. Still didn't stop it from having all sorts of other wonky rear end issues. Your CVPI will be much more reliable, I'm sure of it.

Sabmo posted:

I'm a huge fan of S60R/V70R's too though - if you're looking at getting one it might be worth knowing that they received a suspension revision halfway through their lifecycle (although I'm not completely sure which year, sorry) that apparently improved the ride quite significantly. I've always wanted to try out their funky looking 6-speed ball shifter thingy.

I would buy a V70R in a heartbeat, as long as it had the manual tranmission. They seem pretty rare, though. :( Yeah, I read they removed an unnecessary torque limiter in 1st/2nd after '06. Sounds like a later model is the way to go. Thanks for the compliment :)

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

AF posted:

I would buy a V70R in a heartbeat, as long as it had the manual tranmission. They seem pretty rare, though. :( Yeah, I read they removed an unnecessary torque limiter in 1st/2nd after '06. Sounds like a later model is the way to go. Thanks for the compliment :)

Pretty sure the V70R was auto-only in the states. A good friend had one and drove it as a winter car, it was pretty fun but he gave up on it after 130k miles.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I thought it was only the 850R that was auto and the V70s came in both?

I am still kicking myself for missing out on a manual, red 850R for 4000.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
The 70S/V Rs came in both auto and manual but the manuals were uncommon, very few in the US.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Cage posted:

Talking mid 90s "sport" sedans, huh? My 3.4l has a whooping 215hp, though a sedan it is not.

For the life of me I can't remember the model name of this car. What is it?

It looks super familiar, but my guesses were wrong

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Mat_Drinks posted:

For the life of me I can't remember the model name of this car. What is it?

It looks super familiar, but my guesses were wrong

Cutlass

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Supreme!

Guffikins
Jul 4, 2004

Not enough British iron here- let me introduce you to one of the worst cars ever made, the 1977 Triumph TR-7:

Like any good British car I spend all my time working on it and almost never get to drive it- it's almost worth a thread (except I never do anything interesting and don't have any idea what I'm doing).

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
Awesome.

Are you here in SF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guffikins
Jul 4, 2004

toaster_pastry posted:

Awesome.

Are you here in SF?

Yeah, just moved here this summer with my fiancee (moved for her job) and bought the car so I'd have something to do while I looked for work. It hasn't disappointed. If you troubleshoot electrical problems (I took the carbs out, rebuilt the bypass valves, put them back in and the starter won't engage now- has to be electrical) there's payment in beer.