Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Require More Fire posted:

Went to do my upgrade on Amazon Wireless. I'm on an individual plan (not share everything) with unlimited data. I told Amazon to keep everything the same but, obviously, I have to change my data. The option I have is for a "2GB Smartphone data with mobile email" plan. That's just a regular 2GB data plan, right?

Oh, and they're out of Razr HD Maxx's again, so I get to wait some more. :smith:

You can't use a subsidy and keep unlimited. Your only options are to buy a phone at full price and keep unlimited or buy a subsidized phone and take the 2GB cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Athenry posted:

You can't use a subsidy and keep unlimited. Your only options are to buy a phone at full price and keep unlimited or buy a subsidized phone and take the 2GB cap.

I'm aware of that; I'm asking if the 2GB plan is the regular 2GB tier for old-school individual lines. The part about "with mobile email" threw me off a little.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Stock 4.1.2 for the GS3 just dropped today. No major changes or anything. Hope they kick their butts into gear and start working on 4.2 already. I don't wanna root. :colbert:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you have an corporate discount it looks like starting 4/1 you will have 60 days to prove your eligibility or you will lose it on June 1.

edit: hah, the comments there show a bunch of people still on Circuit City employee discounts. They've been gone, what, 4 years?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 6, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kitten smoothie posted:

If you have an corporate discount it looks like starting 4/1 you will have 60 days to prove your eligibility or you will lose it on June 1.

edit: hah, the comments there show a bunch of people still on Circuit City employee discounts. They've been gone, what, 4 years?

Circuit city still exists.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I've been pretty used to CM because it's easy, but I've had this Linaro (non-aroma) AOKP rom on my Gnex for the last few days and the battery life is wayyyyy better than the nightlies I was running.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Any word on when 4.2.2 will drop for the GNex?

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

On the consumer side I can see this pissing a lot of people off, legitimate discount or not.

But the truth is they never validate an employee discount past the initial application of the discount itself.

Verizon is squeezing everyone's money out, even their employees.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

kstatix posted:

On the consumer side I can see this pissing a lot of people off, legitimate discount or not.

But the truth is they never validate an employee discount past the initial application of the discount itself.

Verizon is squeezing everyone's money out, even their employees.

Yeah honestly I can't see how people would have a legitimate problem with this. I would EXPECT them to check up on employee discounts once in awhile...I got one applied to my account at the end of 2009 and they've never said a peep about it since.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah honestly I can't see how people would have a legitimate problem with this. I would EXPECT them to check up on employee discounts once in awhile...I got one applied to my account at the end of 2009 and they've never said a peep about it since.

If the schoolyard bully beats you up for your lunch money every few days, does it make you feel better that his motivation the last time was that his mom forgot to pack his lunch that day?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Penguissimo posted:

If the schoolyard bully beats you up for your lunch money every few days, does it make you feel better that his motivation the last time was that his mom forgot to pack his lunch that day?

Do you seriously have a problem with a company checking to see that the discounts it gave out are still valid?

E: I mean yes it's a way for Verizon to get some money back from people that might not be eligible for their discount anymore but at the same time...they're not eligible for it anymore...

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 7, 2013

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Do you seriously have a problem with a company checking to see that the discounts it gave out are still valid?

E: I mean yes it's a way for Verizon to get some money back from people that might not be eligible for their discount anymore but at the same time...they're not eligible for it anymore...

This is pretty much my thought. I'm not really getting the :argh: VERIZON!!! :argh: as they're only affecting those who aren't eligible anymore.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Honestly I'll cancel my service over it. I rarely leave the house now I work from home, and I have Skype at home for my phone calls. I'd consider that T-Mobile smartphone prepay since it'd cost me half of what I pay Verizon now after the discount.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

kensei posted:

Any word on when 4.2.2 will drop for the GNex?

Its out to testers now and that version leaked if you're into doing it yourself. So, soon.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's not that I think it's valid anger; it's just that after years of Verizon shamelessly wringing every last possible drop of money out of people (elimination of unlimited data, inflation of smartphone prices, elimination of grandfathered unlimited data plans, Share Everything, probably about nine more things I'm not thinking of right now) it's not surprising that people would get upset at yet another instance, especially if they—like most normal people—don't think about their cell phone plans all that closely beyond paying it.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Athenry posted:

Its out to testers now and that version leaked if you're into doing it yourself. So, soon.

I installed it in hopes of improved Bluetooth. So far seems pretty good to me. Nice to have the same point release as my Nexus 7.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Athenry posted:

Yeah, I saw the leak, that's why I asked. I was wondering how much longer it might take.

What was the time from the last RAZR soak test to released OTA? Anyone remember?

waffle iron posted:

I installed it in hopes of improved Bluetooth. So far seems pretty good to me. Nice to have the same point release as my Nexus 7.

My BT seems okay, but I don't stream to my car stereo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kensei posted:

What was the time from the last RAZR soak test to released OTA? Anyone remember?

For the HD, it was like 3 days. Soak test went out on a Tuesday and the update was rolling to everyone by Friday.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Circuit city still exists.
No dude, you're thinking of Radio Shack

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Thinking about coming back to Big Red after flirting for a few years with Sprint. I'm looking at the Droid Razr M and the RAZR HD, how easy are these to root? other than screen size and internal memory, is one significantly better than the other? I'm leaning towards the M, but I can go the other way if the HD has kickass features or something. For reference, I'm coming from a Samsung Epic 4G so pretty much anything is better at this point.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Finally today, I got my boss and I approved for company provided smartphones (we're the IT department and have had to use our own poo poo for three years, despite being at a fortune 500). Only problem is they have to be Verizon, and our purchasing department is trying to cap the on-contract price at $50. As you could imagine, this limits us to some absolutely horrid phones that I don't want to be stuck on for the next two years to do all my work.

Does anyone know if I can realistically negotiate the contract prices with Verizon? I notice Amazon sells the Droid DNA for a subsidized $50 but it's $200 at Verizon's site. I think if I could pick any phone for us it'd probably be the Razr HD Maxx but the site says it's sold out.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Zero VGS posted:

Finally today, I got my boss and I approved for company provided smartphones (we're the IT department and have had to use our own poo poo for three years, despite being at a fortune 500). Only problem is they have to be Verizon, and our purchasing department is trying to cap the on-contract price at $50. As you could imagine, this limits us to some absolutely horrid phones that I don't want to be stuck on for the next two years to do all my work.

Does anyone know if I can realistically negotiate the contract prices with Verizon? I notice Amazon sells the Droid DNA for a subsidized $50 but it's $200 at Verizon's site. I think if I could pick any phone for us it'd probably be the Razr HD Maxx but the site says it's sold out.

Razr M.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The RAZR M is an absolutely fantastic phone, and free through Amazon or Best Buy right now. $50 after rebate through Verizon proper. GF, mom and brother all have one right now, and I'm thoroughly impressed with it.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I rooted my Galaxy Nexus as soon as I opened it and forgot about it. Do I need to unroot before I install the update?

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

If you're a fortune 500 company with a Verizon account, you can't buy the phones through amazon or best buy. Those locations can't even access your account. You can negotiate with the person handling your account on vzws side, and you might actually have some luck with that as national account managers have a lot of pull and discretion to discount phones.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

arisu posted:

I rooted my Galaxy Nexus as soon as I opened it and forgot about it. Do I need to unroot before I install the update?

If you "just" rooted but it's otherwise stock, chances are excellent the update will apply just fine. If you're worried about keeping root post-update, there are a couple programs that try to help with this. (Superuser Elite is the one I've used, and I survived the last Galaxy Nexus OTA update just fine.)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Or you can just reroot it easily since it's a nexus device.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
So I finally got out of my Sprint contract but their one condition was that I send back my iPhone last week. So I took advantage of that Dell Galaxy S3 deal last week for $10 w/ $50 gift card and opened up a new Verizon contract. Since the S4 is probably coming out in a week or two, I was wondering what I'd need to do in order to get the S4 instead. Do I have to not open/activate the S3 and return it within 14 days or can I use it and return it within the grace period?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The S4 probably won't come out until summer, it isn't even being announced until next week. Samsung already said it wasn't coming out in March even.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

The S4 probably won't come out until summer, it isn't even being announced until next week. Samsung already said it wasn't coming out in March even.

Gotcha- some sites I was reading made it seem like it had a next week release.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Penguissimo posted:

It's not that I think it's valid anger; it's just that after years of Verizon shamelessly wringing every last possible drop of money out of people (elimination of unlimited data, inflation of smartphone prices, elimination of grandfathered unlimited data plans, Share Everything, probably about nine more things I'm not thinking of right now) it's not surprising that people would get upset at yet another instance, especially if they—like most normal people—don't think about their cell phone plans all that closely beyond paying it.

The quality of service has gone down. I have larger deadspots now that when I first started using cellphones. Hell, I lost 66 miles of 3G coverage from Verizon.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

InterceptorV8 posted:

The quality of service has gone down. I have larger deadspots now that when I first started using cellphones. Hell, I lost 66 miles of 3G coverage from Verizon.

This is odd. It would seem rather backwards and I've never heard of a case so drastic. 66 miles of coverage is huge. What phone do you have?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, I'm surprised, if anything it's gotten better for me in the last two years. My house is in a dead spot for everyone but Verizon (I don't know for sure why this is, but I blame NIMBYs in the adjoining old-money neighborhoods who don't like towers but still complain their phones don't work). I switched to Verizon in 2011, because it was just the least-bad there.

I don't know what they did, but I can actually now get LTE and much better voice service in my house. Back in 2011 I could only pick it up in my driveway, and I got weak 3G inside.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
Any OG Razr owners get their Jelly Bean OTA update yet? I've been :f5h::fap: since I heard it was rolling out and still nothing. :(

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
My Note 2 should be here on Mon or Tues! I'm hyped, it's an amazing phone! Should I stick with the Asurion insurnce, go through someone else, or just forget about any insurance?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Does anyone use the Good app for work email on Android? When I was on Sprint, I didn't have to pay extra to use it but VZW is claiming I need to upgrade to a enterprise data plan and pay $15 extra for Good. Is this true or is there any way to get around it?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

UncleGuito posted:

Does anyone use the Good app for work email on Android? When I was on Sprint, I didn't have to pay extra to use it but VZW is claiming I need to upgrade to a enterprise data plan and pay $15 extra for Good. Is this true or is there any way to get around it?

Yeah, apparently Good wont work without an enterprise feature code on your line.

My dad has grandfathered unlimited and Verizon will not let him move up to the enterprise unlimited plan, no matter who he asks. But he doesn't want to lose the unlimited tethering buy-up so he just gave up and tethers his iPad.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I may have spoken too soon as far as my 4.2.2 upgrade. Now when I start my car, my stereo kicks over to being in a call (I am not). I might have to mess with NFC tags or something to turn on/off BT instead of having it on all the time.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
2 Questions guys

1) I have a thunderbolt that I kept when I upgraded my phone. Because its not on verizons network, I cant automatically get the ICS update. Whats the easiest route to do so (and is the update worth it)?

2)I have a Razr m thats rooted, which app will make it into a wifi hotspot? I noticed foxfi got updated today, and when I tried to enable a wifi hotspot for a test run, I got "Your carrier has blocked wifi mode in jellybean".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I can answer the first..Your thunderbolt will get the update if you put it on wifi and hit check for updates.

• Locked thread