Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

That sounds fun in theory until you remember how boring doing the first 40-70 floors will always be, and why they moved away from the old "keyed GRs" where a rift key was attuned to a level and you had to level the key up every. single. time.

Eh there are design methods around that. Especially if you get to start from scratch on D4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iirc the free demo for d3 was really good. It went to the Skelton King and level pl 13 iirc. I think if have the achievement.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Also worth noting is not many mainly-single-player-games still have dev support and content updates/platform ports 6 years after the fact. D3 had a huge glut of "it's a diablo" sales on the strength of D2 but it's probably got one of the longest long tails of any non-MMO game

This is why Blizzard will always have a space in my heart. EA would have dropped this game years ago. But Blizzard has continued support, even though it's not an esport game, or a game with microtransactions (anymore) or a lootbox game. We still have active servers (D2 as well), some game development and they still seem to care about the game. Kudos.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There hasn’t been any development since ... 2016? But yeah the servers are on.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
/\ Yeah absolutely

I will wholeheartedly poo poo upon a lot of the design decisions blizz made with d3, but I definitely respect that they somehow managed to turn the game around. I wonder sometimes if the delay for the next D4 is because they're waiting for people to forget the d3 release.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

They weirdly skipped 2017 entirely, like "not even a blizzcon banner/pet" and I don't think they had anything on the floor, but the themed seasons thing at least indicates that someone who cares about the game/ip may have cycled onto the team again

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

euphronius posted:

Well Necros were introduced last year. That's development, they didn't have to do that. I haven't really played with the Necro though so I don't know if it was worth bothering with.

Necromancers were released June 2017.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

euphronius posted:

Iirc the free demo for d3 was really good. It went to the Skelton King and level pl 13 iirc. I think if have the achievement.
That was sort of the problem: D3 had a yearlong beta, but the beta only covered normal mode up to the Skeleton King (because, presumably, they didn't want to introduce players to Tyrael in the demo). So they couldn't get any feedback on the endgame, which wound up being the biggest problem.

At no point during that year (which they spent iterating on the skill system, mostly) did they rig up a way for people to make premade characters who could play the higher difficulties and tell them how much their inferno loot design sucked.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Necros are fun and good. I still play more DH and Monk for non-group and zbarb/zmonk for group. But a lot of people enjoy them and they are very strong compared to the rest of the classes.

It is worth the money for the fun and in encouraging more Diablo development.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Incoherence posted:

That was sort of the problem: D3 had a yearlong beta, but the beta only covered normal mode up to the Skeleton King (because, presumably, they didn't want to introduce players to Tyrael in the demo). So they couldn't get any feedback on the endgame, which wound up being the biggest problem.

At no point during that year (which they spent iterating on the skill system, mostly) did they rig up a way for people to make premade characters who could play the higher difficulties and tell them how much their inferno loot design sucked.

The above mentioned infinite dungeon adventure mode could be a remedy for that. Make that the D4 public beta (or more accurately alpha) to get the crunchy mechanics and scaling down pat and to cull dumb ideas like the RMAH, reserve the true campaign for full release.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Something fundamental about D3 has always felt like an awful mistake to me, but it’s hard to articulate. In D1/D2, everything just felt more meaningful and deliberate. In D3, I think it’s all the same poo poo all the time, at a shallow and rapid pace. Each skill is just another way to kill stuff on a map that pretty much feels like a meaningless featureless plane. I know these words can apply to the past games too, but it’s.. different. Maybe it’s juat the pace of all systems in D3.

I’d like D4 to have a deliberate and thought-out world with meaningful secrets and surprises. Enemies you have to think about, and skills that interact with each other in exciting ways. Consumables that significantly change things or open up new possibilities, and items that have the most profound effects on your whole experience. Combine all that with a social hub and trading bazaar and baby you got a stew going.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Tenacious J posted:

Something fundamental about D3 has always felt like an awful mistake to me, but it’s hard to articulate. In D1/D2, everything just felt more meaningful and deliberate. In D3, I think it’s all the same poo poo all the time, at a shallow and rapid pace. Each skill is just another way to kill stuff on a map that pretty much feels like a meaningless featureless plane. I know these words can apply to the past games too, but it’s.. different. Maybe it’s juat the pace of all systems in D3.

I’d like D4 to have a deliberate and thought-out world with meaningful secrets and surprises. Enemies you have to think about, and skills that interact with each other in exciting ways. Consumables that significantly change things or open up new possibilities, and items that have the most profound effects on your whole experience. Combine all that with a social hub and trading bazaar and baby you got a stew going.

It's the story being poo poo.

D2 had this epic trailing story. D3 has mostly hot garbage. Makes it difficult to stay motivated.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fuzz posted:

It's the story being poo poo.

D2 had this epic trailing story. D3 has mostly hot garbage. Makes it difficult to stay motivated.

How can you say D3's story is poo poo, when it has one of the best things ever: The Templar making you promise to kill him if he leaves his order, and when he does, you don't?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I hadn't played Diablo 2 until a couple months ago and I honestly wasn't really that big of a fan of the story. I didn't hate it per se, but it felt really meandering to me - especially doing poo poo like searching for dungeons in Act 1 and Act 2 and trying to track down the Gidbinn. I feel like 3's story direction was much clearer because I always knew where I was supposed to be going and what I was supposed to be doing once I got there.

killing deckard cain and replacing him with leah was a loving mistake though

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The story of D2 was enhanced by being 9 to 16 years old

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
D3's story is offensively and insultingly lovely, as was the plot of pretty much everything Blizzard was writing at the time, but D3 was by far the worst offender. Yeah worst poo poo than savior Kerrigan or fighting Deathwing's warts or similar idiotic stuff like that. Butterfly Magic offing Cain and that loving repeated villain line are bottom of the barrel.

Reaper of Souls on the other hand wasn't that bad actually. It was the first not terrible but ok plot Blizzard did in years.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shoenin posted:

Reaper of Souls on the other hand wasn't that bad actually. It was the first not terrible but ok plot Blizzard did in years.

RoS felt better up until the very end, imo, when they went into full-on "tell don't show" mode about all this totally terrible poo poo Malphael's doing offscreen. No, really, everyone's dying up there, right now :geno:

D3 probably would have felt better with a more overarching plot beyond "Leah had a bad dream and Cain's worried about it", too. I know the usual "good job breaking it hero" trope is something people really like to throw out there (diablo wouldn't have come back if we had literally done nothing), but you get shuffled from fetch quest to fetch quest for no compelling reason so frequently that it all blurs together, eery enemy introduced doesn't even have a full act to build any momentum before you slap them down, etc.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I always like how the butterfly lady tells you what she's gonna do next and how there is no way you can stop her.

Also Zoltan Kulle following you around and evil laughing and you know he's gonna turn on you but there's nothing you can do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What really enhanced it was the fact that it was comfortable shutting the gently caress up when appropriate :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean care about what you want to care about in life but I don’t know if “story” is the focus of the ARPG genre.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kulle becoming your haunted ghost buddy owns.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Him and Kadalla laughing at you all the time is great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I loved how at release Kadala totally no-sold every legendary and felt genuinely slighted when they fixed her dialogue to compliment you.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

exquisite tea posted:

I loved how at release Kadala totally no-sold every legendary and felt genuinely slighted when they fixed her dialogue to compliment you.

Her loving dialogue is the reason I've had voices shut off for over a year now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

5er posted:

Cursed post.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

D3's story is pretty forgettable. Like, I barely remember the context of wtf is happening anymore since adventure mode is a thing. It was predictable and silly, but meh whatever. It's still fun.

5er posted:

:aaa: I will have to look into this.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
For better or worse Diablo 4 is going to be a game designed for and released in 2019. All I ask for is controller support for the PC version since its implemention on the console versions of Diablo 3 is actually really, really good.
As long as it's got that signature meaty gameplay and tons of character & gear customization that is all I ask for.

It'll be interesting to see if it chases the Path of Exile rabbit or the Destiny one. They both have wildly different intepretations of the future direction of the ARPG. 4 is almost certain to go off in a very different direction to 3, it can't just be more of the same with a different coat of paint. Even if you greatly dislike either game you cannot deny that right now they are dictating the way the game is played.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Destiny is an ARPG?? Thought it was a shooter. Guess I should read some reviews :shrug:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

exquisite tea posted:

Cursed post.

Sorry about your masochism.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would also argue that Starcraft 2 was kind of a total shitshow when it released, and had way way more millions of dollars of infrastructure invested in it and on the whole cost them more money to fix than D3 did.

Diablo 3 was frustrating at launch but it took anyone with a brain maybe 3 seconds to realize it was the RMAH and the secondary trade market that ruined the game (forcing you to spend $$$ on progression) and they fixed it, whereas SC2 was like a quilt of bad decisions.

Also no company will refer to a game that is a complete commercial success as a ‘failure’. The damage to Blizzard’s brand hasn’t stopped them from maintaining their chokehold as a juggernaught of video gaming compared to literally every other developer on Earth.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 4, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t expect d4 and destiny to have much intentional crossover

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

For better or worse Diablo 4 is going to be a game designed for and released in 2019.

This seems incredibly optimistic.

I'm expecting 2022.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

For better or worse Diablo 4 is going to be a game designed for and released in 2019. All I ask for is controller support for the PC version since its implemention on the console versions of Diablo 3 is actually really, really good.
As long as it's got that signature meaty gameplay and tons of character & gear customization that is all I ask for.

This.

And yeah, playing an ARPG with a controller literally makes you never want to use a mouse ever again.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I say this from the perspective of not having played D3 on a controller, but from just listening to people who have and hearing about the differences in builds, etc..

Unless they intentionally design all of the mechanics around a controller, you'll end up with what will feel like a less pronounced split between m/k and controllers for FPS, with top competitive being mouse only. Depending on what you want out of the game, that'll likely not matter, but it still is something to consider when talking design choices for the game as a whole.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mayveena posted:

Destiny is an ARPG?? Thought it was a shooter. Guess I should read some reviews :shrug:

It’s both.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Dameius posted:

I say this from the perspective of not having played D3 on a controller, but from just listening to people who have and hearing about the differences in builds, etc..

Unless they intentionally design all of the mechanics around a controller, you'll end up with what will feel like a less pronounced split between m/k and controllers for FPS, with top competitive being mouse only. Depending on what you want out of the game, that'll likely not matter, but it still is something to consider when talking design choices for the game as a whole.

There's no competitive in Diablo.

The mouse/kb and controller divide hasn't been relevant for years now, most of the top competitive shooters let controller and m/kb users live side by side - Battlefield, Call of Duty, Fortnite, PUBG, Destiny, etc etc etc. If people want to use controllers and get their arses kicked in the process, they are more than welcome to. Developers are ok with controller users entering competitive matches at a disadvantage to themselves. There has been no 'talking design choices for the game as a whole' for a while now, they simply let them in and play. It's no longer a philosophical discussion nowadays

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
I wonder how hard it would be to get D3 to work with a steam controller?

Dameius posted:

Necros are fun and good. I still play more DH and Monk for non-group and zbarb/zmonk for group. But a lot of people enjoy them and they are very strong compared to the rest of the classes.

It is worth the money for the fun and in encouraging more Diablo development.

I am having so much fun with the Inarius set this season.

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Rayburn-1798/hero/104379649 (Ring of Grandeur is in the cube to equip Steuart's greaves, don't know why it isn't showing)
I switch between Trang's and Ingeom in the cube.

I'm just hitting T13 content now, Normal Rifts take me 2-4 minutes.
I tried the Pestilance build but I need to level up the Legendary gems for it I think. It's way too squishy for my taste.

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 4, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can you program macros on controllers because I def do not do that on k+m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

euphronius posted:

Can you program macros on controllers because I def do not do that on k+m.

No real need. Instead of mindlessly clicking on stuff you're manually running around like it's an arcade game and all the buttons are bound to whatever attacks you want. For example I use the right trigger for auto attack. You can use the right stick to dodge roll, as well, so it's a lot more responsive and engaging as you run around smashing poo poo.

Honestly, if they went whole ham into the controller style to have you specifically running around and having to use faster reflexes for actual movement, that'd be fine by me. Turn it into something like GoW era beat em ups meet ARPGs. Could be cool, but people would lose their goddamn minds about the tweak in format even though the existing ARPG format hasn't really been improved on much in the last 15-20 years and is really, really dated.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 5, 2018