Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

MeLKoR posted:

Wasn't that pretty much what happened to BoB? How did Goonswarm manage to survive losing everything?

Well BoB was a bunch of pubbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

MeLKoR posted:

Wasn't that pretty much what happened to BoB? How did Goonswarm manage to survive losing everything?

Goons don't play to "win" in Eve to start with, so loss isn't nearly as crippling to them.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Edit: For gently caress sake, self, learn to F5 before replying to something.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
BoB was built on unorganized pubbies dominating mostly by threat and honor-bound battles. Goonswarm is built on a pre-existing community and could easily assemble all their former members and retake poo poo because they're pretty ruthless.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Rutkowski posted:

BoB was built on unorganized pubbies dominating mostly by threat and honor-bound battles. Goonswarm is built on a pre-existing community and could easily assemble all their former members and retake poo poo because they're pretty ruthless.

If goonswarm ever gets seriously threatened I'm going to reinstall EVE just to help out and get my share of the pubbie tears, but right now I'm totally content to let the current swarm keep delivering these great stories for me to read.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
^ Yeah, things like this makes me want to reinstall EVE again, but like King Arthur I'll return in the swarm's hour of greatest need.

I'd just like to congratulate the Mittani and goonswarm on the burn jita campagin, hulkageddon and the cartel- because it is seriously one of the coolest things I have ever heard of anyone doing in a game ever. Cornering an entire market like that and driving up prices through terrorism? loving brilliant, just brilliant.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It could only be topped by them demanding regular "taxes" (protection money) from everyone in highsec and effectively becoming the de facto EVE government. Sort of the barbarian takeover of the Roman Empire.

"The game creators and their defensive bots can't protect you, only we can ensure business goes on as usual." :black101:

I never played EVE but reading this stuff makes me wish I had the time to but something puzzles me. Couldn't this whole thing be prevented simply by the devs making the defensive response times shorter? That way it would be impossible to kill the target before getting destroyed making the whole "suicide but take out more expensive targets" moot?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 5, 2012

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

MeLKoR posted:

It could only be topped by them demanding regular "taxes" (protection money) from everyone in highsec and effectively becoming the de facto EVE government. Sort of the barbarian takeover of the Roman Empire.

"The game creators and their defensive bots can't protect you, only we can ensure business goes on as usual." :black101:

I never played EVE but reading this stuff makes me wish I had the time to but something puzzles me. Couldn't this whole thing be prevented simply by the devs making the defensive response times shorter? That way it would be impossible to kill the target before getting destroyed making the whole "suicide but take out more expensive targets" moot?
The police already respond so quickly after you shooting that getting off a second shot is next to impossible - just means you have to make the first shot count. Besides the devs love it, why would they want to prevent it?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

Highsec police aren't meant to make killing people impossible, merely very difficult and (usually) not worth the cost.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Slime posted:

Highsec police aren't meant to make killing people impossible, merely very difficult and (usually) not worth the cost.

Right. I've heard of a few bounties paying for themselves by people nuking someone in highsec, because they know they'll come out ahead after the bounty is paid, even with the loss of the ship they were in.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Afaik the bounty system is a PvP mechanic. You contract out the death. Naturally, if the bounty is high enough, the victim asks a friend to put a bullet through their head (they'll get better). The difference between the bounty and the cost of the clone just gets split between the associates.

And you will never get into goonfleet.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Afaik the bounty system is a PvP mechanic. You contract out the death. Naturally, if the bounty is high enough, the victim asks a friend to put a bullet through their head (they'll get better). The difference between the bounty and the cost of the clone just gets split between the associates.

And you will never get into goonfleet.

It's not even that complicated. You put the character with a bounty into a clean clone and have your alt pod it on the station undock. As long as your bounty is higher than your clone cost you come out ahead.

Because of alts bounties will never work.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I find EVE fascinating from an academic perspective, and it pretty much stands as proof that a libertarian system does not work, since someone clever will come in and mess everything up.

Not that I'd never play it. I don't have the fortitude for spreadsheet mmorpgs.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I think I found a way to grief in Dota 2. If you pick Clockwerk, he has a move called Power Cogs that traps enemies inside this fence of gears. Thing is it also works on your own team's minions, so you can keep them from attacking enemy turrets. I don't think it works on your team's heroes (it just shoves them out) but my god does it piss people off.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Infinite Monkeys posted:

The police already respond so quickly after you shooting that getting off a second shot is next to impossible - just means you have to make the first shot count. Besides the devs love it, why would they want to prevent it?

I have to image that CCP is thrilled that GoonSwarm is doing what they are doing right now. Every time goons destroy a massive ship the player has to go out and spend money/resources to get another one instead of buying PLEX.

What people may not realize is that you can buy monthly game time by spending in game currency. (This is how people are figuring out "GoonSwarn just destroy $x of stuff"). Now instead of just spending the money a person made off mining on the monthly fee, they need to spend it on rebuilding AND then paying real money to CCP for the month of play time.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Beach Bum posted:

It's not even that complicated. You put the character with a bounty into a clean clone and have your alt pod it on the station undock. As long as your bounty is higher than your clone cost you come out ahead.

Because of alts bounties will never work.

More like because everyone are immortal demigods that bounties won't work.

Goonfleet's tactic has always been to target the people, not the pilots. The only way to disable your opponents is to make it unfun for them to play. You have to grief them out of existence.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Goonfleet's tactic has always been to target the people, not the pilots. The only way to disable your opponents is to make it unfun for them to play. You have to grief them out of existence.

Case in point: RoyofCA's "People of RISE" campaign. Mittani dedicated one of his TTH:SoaSS columns to it.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/69125

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
http://tindeck.com/listen/lroj

This is all I know about Goonfleet and I'm okay with that because Eve is loving boring.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
I would play EVE and I really want to, but I'm a broke SOB who can't afford to drop actual cash on a game regularly. Goodness, but I wish I could run my face into people's big dumb ships.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

A Frosty Beverage posted:

I would play EVE and I really want to, but I'm a broke SOB who can't afford to drop actual cash on a game regularly. Goodness, but I wish I could run my face into people's big dumb ships.
When I still played, it wasn't hard at all to get to the point where you could earn enough ISK to buy timecards. Especially since Goonswarm controlled some rich space that new players normally wouldn't be able to take advantage of. I can't imagine it's changed since then, and trading for timecards is fine by CCP.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 6, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If you've got the time to play (with the amount of time that actually entails scaling with how good you are at earning money one way or another) you can pick up game time with PLEXes for in-game cash, and it's not really that hard.

You'd probably have to pay for one month of game time to get started, and if you've been actually playing that month to the point you want to keep playing after it, you'll almost certainly have come up with something that pays for PLEXes faster than one every 30 days.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
I guess I'll try this fourteen days free thing and see how I like it. How do I get in contact with Goonswarm to join up?

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

I guess I'll try this fourteen days free thing and see how I like it. How do I get in contact with Goonswarm to join up?

Post in their thread in the MMO HMO subforum. It usually hangs around the top.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

MeLKoR posted:

This is awesome. I've never been interested in Eve until now. I want to be a suicide bomber!

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Category Fun! posted:

http://tindeck.com/listen/lroj

This is all I know about Goonfleet and I'm okay with that because Eve is loving boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfv1QtZDirY
Listening to this every once in a while is the closest I get to playing EVE

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

SlothfulCobra posted:

I find EVE fascinating from an academic perspective, and it pretty much stands as proof that a libertarian system does not work, since someone clever will come in and mess everything up.
:laugh:
Isn't it more like "anarchy doesn't work"?

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

Hietala posted:

At first I thought 'I know what this is going to be ugh' but then I watched it a bit and it did bring back some good memories. Remedial and the free trade zone or whatever it was called, my first taste of WAR! and leaving the safe feeling of kzf, training bombers to go hang out cloaked to bug out rise, drone ratting and getting to use the sigma pos even though I was in rho, sesfan and suas and the desperate sense everyone had in trying to hold those little systems in detorid and tenerifis (and then the long awaited titan nerf was finally patched in and we resoundingly fought them back across the south after finally killing sir molle's titan), specifically rolling and buying a timecard for an afk pos shooter alt to help clean up all the goddamn towers in dead systems after bob pulled everything out of them. Oh god I can only think of several times the game was really fun to play over the course of years, eve has griefed me :qq:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Shoot me a pm with your email and I'll send you a 21 day buddy invite.

EDIT: This goes for anyone, really. I'll even send you 250m isk if you sub.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 6, 2012

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Also, if you look on the Goonfleet forums when you get authed in, there should be tutorials and chatlogs on how to scam pubbies. You should be able to scam enough money to get a PLEX within your trial period so you don't have to spend real money on the game.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Hietala posted:

I prefer this one.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nektu posted:

:laugh:
Isn't it more like "anarchy doesn't work"?

I've never seen a difference. :smuggo:

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill

Beach Bum posted:

Shoot me a pm with your email and I'll send you a 21 day buddy invite.

EDIT: This goes for anyone, really. I'll even send you 250m isk if you sub.

I don't have PM, can I use a messenger to contact you?

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I prefer this one.

Since we're all having a Goonfleet nostalgia dump (and I've been in since Syndicate wut-wut)

http://soundcloud.com/mrchijuliankirov/a-wedding-story

This is the famed Wedding Story, as told by our God-Emperor The Mittani (during the PR- permacamp in Delve War II). The story is about our old CEO Remedial (who stole space money from us and we hate forever) and how he got married in Orlando.

People who have no idea who anyone is or even what Eve is will still get a kick out of it. The quality is poo poo because it was recorded in teamspeak with 200+ people in channel.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

In eve-online, if you attack someone in hi-sec, the police will spawn and kill you. However, you can attack people in your own corporation with no consequences. It also doesn't flag you for anything, so you can have an alt heal you while you fly around killing people in your corp while you yourself can't be killed because of heals, and they can't attack your space priest without the police spawning and killing them. Cue me joining mining corporations and spicing up the excitement of their mining ops.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Also I'm sure this has been mentioned but in WoW I used to get people to dual me on the zeppelin, get their health low then mind control them to their real death by jumping them off.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
The idea of widespread mayhem and making idiots cry actual real life tears appeals to me. Especially doing so IN SPACE. I'm going to give EVE another go, wish me luck.

Obviously if I do massively ruin someone's day I'll write about it here.

Hooray for grief and tears!

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

6EQUJ5 posted:

The idea of widespread mayhem and making idiots cry actual real life tears appeals to me. Especially doing so IN SPACE. I'm going to give EVE another go, wish me luck.

Obviously if I do massively ruin someone's day I'll write about it here.

Hooray for grief and tears!

I don't think they'll let you in with such a low post count.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Tardcore posted:

I don't think they'll let you in with such a low post count.

I'm seriously thinking of giving it a try as well. It sounds fun and doesn't have the tedious grinding of WoW apparently. Plus, being a total dick to non-goons has to be a blast.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Big Centipede posted:

I'm seriously thinking of giving it a try as well. It sounds fun and doesn't have the tedious grinding of WoW apparently. Plus, being a total dick to non-goons has to be a blast.
You are correct, there is no tedious grinding. The tedium is an integral part of the gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Big Centipede posted:

The entire game is tedious grinding. Even the fun griefing can only be achieved through crushing tedium.

• Locked thread