Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I had a side job my first year of grad school processing immunization records in the school's medical office. Was fun telling people that they can't live in the dorms because they haven't had MMR yet (thankfully there was very few of them, anti-vax poo poo hasn't made it to Alabama yet I guess).

You also had people bitching that it was racist they need a TB test because they're from <3rd world country>.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Whenever I see kids with amber teething necklaces I always worry that the kids might give my kids some horrible biblical disease because there's no chance those kids are vaccinated.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

People who don't vaccinate their kids deserve to have them taken away. I was talking to my doc with my wife about giving our kids the vaccine and she mentioned that a kid had died earlier that day.

A kid.

Died

From the loving FLU. A seasonal goddamn thing that a simple vaccine fixes. That's not even counting the real big hitters like pertussis and measles. They were the third that week. At Madigan.

You're an adult, do what you want, but don't force your bullshit "there is proof" crap. No there isn't. No loving link to autism. And potentially killing your kids is stupid. Same with the faith healers "God will heal them if they are to be saved." Or maybe your god sent a bunch of goddamn doctors with technology to save your kid and you are too evangelical to see through that poo poo.

This is sadly and depressingly more common. :smith:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

not caring here posted:

The only downside to vaccinations is that if you're like me and get an immigration physical and don't have your immunization records on hand then you get them all at once. 15 minutes later and running a fever that had me bed ridden for just over 48 hours and feeling hosed up for about a week after that.

The upside being not dying from poo poo that killed people in the dark ages.

Yup, that happened to me too. Now we have double autism!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've got the triple autism because the army gave me another round because lol, shot records.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Soulex posted:

People who don't vaccinate their kids deserve to have them taken away. I was talking to my doc with my wife about giving our kids the vaccine and she mentioned that a kid had died earlier that day.

A kid.

Died

From the loving FLU. A seasonal goddamn thing that a simple vaccine fixes. That's not even counting the real big hitters like pertussis and measles. They were the third that week. At Madigan.

You're an adult, do what you want, but don't force your bullshit "there is proof" crap. No there isn't. No loving link to autism. And potentially killing your kids is stupid. Same with the faith healers "God will heal them if they are to be saved." Or maybe your god sent a bunch of goddamn doctors with technology to save your kid and you are too evangelical to see through that poo poo.

The flu isn't exactly something we've eliminated outside of the non-vax population, dude, I'm sorry the kid died but is there some exigent circumstances here? Kids do not normally die from the flu -- what else was going on? The flu vaccine formulation (proper term escapes me) is, every year, a hedged guess against the strains likely to prevail during the upcoming season. In other words, we don't sustain herd immunity with it. Sorry to poo poo on your argument.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

canyoneer posted:

Whenever I see kids with amber teething necklaces.

I didn't even realize this is a thing. There's no way in hell 90% of them aren't tinted resin.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Zeris posted:

The flu isn't exactly something we've eliminated outside of the non-vax population, dude, I'm sorry the kid died but is there some exigent circumstances here? Kids do not normally die from the flu -- what else was going on? The flu vaccine formulation (proper term escapes me) is, every year, a hedged guess against the strains likely to prevail during the upcoming season. In other words, we don't sustain herd immunity with it. Sorry to poo poo on your argument.

It's not uncommon for kids to die from flu complications, and it is typically because they are unvaccinated. Even if the vaccine is for the wrong strain of flu it will still mitigate the symptoms.

Generally the parents wait until the kid is tremendously dehydrated and on death's door before they realize "aw poo poo gotta go to the hospital". Kids take a long time to go into decompensated shock but once they get there it can be very difficult to pull them back from the brink.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Vengarr posted:

It's not uncommon for kids to die from flu complications, and it is typically because they are unvaccinated. Even if the vaccine is for the wrong strain of flu it will still mitigate the symptoms.

Generally the parents wait until the kid is tremendously dehydrated and on death's door before they realize "aw poo poo gotta go to the hospital". Kids take a long time to go into decompensated shock but once they get there it can be very difficult to pull them back from the brink.

This. Just because something is seasonal doesn't mean that it isn't dangerous. You forget the millions that died before the vaccine and the hundreds of thousands (according to WHO) that die annually

Yeah the vaccine is a Hail Mary, but it ends up in the end zone more often than not. There are different strains of the virus and they are the strains that professionals feel will be prevalent that year. The good news is, is it doesn't matter what strains is going on that year when you were already vaccinated from 3 years ago and it had that strain in it. Now do that every year.

Point is, Id rather my kids take the vaccine.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Flu vaccines usually wear off within a year

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zeris posted:

The issue at large being that you will still generally respond BETTER to the flu with vaccinations and a history of exposure to vaccines versus none at all, and it can be lethal if your body is not used to it.

Tunicate posted:

No, that's not how it works. The flu strain changes, the vaccine is not wearing off. Your body will still have antibodys for that strain flu even decades later, but the strain being passed around evolves rapidly.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Soulex posted:

This. Just because something is seasonal doesn't mean that it isn't dangerous. You forget the millions that died before the vaccine and the hundreds of thousands (according to WHO) that die annually

The upper limit for the flu seen so far was the spanish flu, which was the most lethal part of WWI. Flu can result in some real nasty stuff.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

The issue at large being that you will still generally respond BETTER to the flu with vaccinations and a history of exposure to vaccines versus none at all, and it can be lethal if your body is not used to it.

No, that's not how it works. The flu strain changes, the vaccine is not wearing off. Your body will still have antibodys for that strain flu even decades later, but the strain being passed around evolves rapidly.

Exactly.

Goddamn enlisted. I have a friend that actively loving horks that poo poo out as soon as she sniffs it.

xthetenth posted:

The upper limit for the flu seen so far was the spanish flu, which was the most lethal part of WWI. Flu can result in some real nasty stuff.

Yeah, I had to do all types of research for it and holy gently caress. It's like when you go back and look at fatalities in wars and see that a gently caress load came from disease.

Tunicate posted:

What.

No.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

It isn't just the flu strain drifting. Your antibody response drops off over time - at the six month mark your serum antibody titer is already half what it was at peak.

Or just ask the CDC

The CDC posted:

Why do I need a flu vaccine every year?

A flu vaccine is needed every season for two reasons.
First, the body's immune response from vaccination declines over time, so an annual vaccine is needed for optimal protection.
Second, because flu viruses are constantly changing, the formulation of the flu vaccine is reviewed each year and sometimes updated to keep up with changing flu viruses.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Tunicate posted:

Or just ask the CDC

CDC is in the pockets of big pharm. I get all the real vaccination info from mommy blogger in her autism news section.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

xthetenth posted:

This was true of every American war until WWII. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18192771

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

I used to have a guy with me who's wife was a 'Christian Scientist' AKA they don't believe in the strange witch doctor magic that is modern medicine. I always had to make sure when his kid was sick that he snuck them behind the spouse's back for the kid's benefit. I shudder to think what would have happened had the kid died.

Edit: Don't stick your dick in crazy. Even more importantly, if you do stick your dick in crazy, don't have kids.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Or get a power of attorney

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Derek Dominoe posted:

This was true of every American war until WWII. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18192771

drat, now I really want to read this article.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

thetechnoloser posted:

I used to have a guy with me who's wife was a 'Christian Scientist' AKA they don't believe in the strange witch doctor magic that is modern medicine. I always had to make sure when his kid was sick that he snuck them behind the spouse's back for the kid's benefit. I shudder to think what would have happened had the kid died.

Edit: Don't stick your dick in crazy. Even more importantly, if you do stick your dick in crazy, don't have kids.

Knocking up a crazy person was my biggest fear and I can't imagine trying to be a father to a child who's mother was any sort of anti intellectual.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So apparently something happened and NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO HAVE ANY DRINKS.

Not like, no drinks out of the galley/DFAC, they removed all soda, Gatorades, milk, and fuckin bottled water.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol:

I'm just trying to imagine what could've happened.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Somebody poisoned the water hole!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sarge I rotted the teeth out of mah head!

*Removes all beverages

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Thank you GiP goons who are still in for regular reminders of why I'm glad I'm loving out.

AHAHAHHAHA

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Mike-o posted:

Thank you GiP goons who are still in for regular reminders of why I'm glad I'm loving out.

AHAHAHHAHA

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
$5 it involves semen.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It's poo.

It's always poo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mike-o posted:

AHAHAHHAHA

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Not like, no drinks out of the galley/DFAC, they removed all soda, Gatorades, milk, and fuckin bottled water.

Please tell me this is something reasonable like some greenfor dude injecting poison into milk cartons or something in Afghanistan/Iraq and not what I imagine it is

I imagine it's some sort of massive overreaction to something stupid stateside

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Allegedly some jacknut took an extra drink or two from the Galley, and the base commander gave them hell. Well, that idiot decides to tell a full-bird captain SMDFTB over some pocket sodas.

Now we all bear the burden of some idiots sin.

I hate this stupid place and I hate the military. Have fun Cyks.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Hahaha I love every part of that but the best part is my unemployment claim goes out tomorrow. Life is good.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Arbitrary and confusing group punishment has to be part of the standard curriculum at OCS and Staff Academy or something.

"And now finally, group punishment. Use it whenever you can. The less you explain it, the better. You definitely want at least 2-3 different theories per platoon for why you've instated a new policy."

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

There has to be a health and welfare reg that says that they have to give you drinks with your food.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Allegedly some jacknut took an extra drink or two from the Galley, and the base commander gave them hell. Well, that idiot decides to tell a full-bird captain SMDFTB over some pocket sodas.

Now we all bear the burden of some idiots sin.

I hate this stupid place and I hate the military. Have fun Cyks.

It's...perfect.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

There has to be a health and welfare reg that says that they have to give you drinks with your food.

What?

Dude. Have you forgotten where you are?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Wasabi the J posted:

I remember when they got rid of canned soda at Kadena and everyone was saying "they stopped it because the cans are classified as 1.2 explosives because the cans can explode", so they can't fly with them on airplanes. I'm not talking about one person but everyone was saying this and would argue with me when I said how stupid that was.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

chemosh6969 posted:

I remember when they got rid of canned soda at Kadena and everyone was saying "they stopped it because the cans are classified as 1.2 explosives because the cans can explode", so they can't fly with them on airplanes. I'm not talking about one person but everyone was saying this and would argue with me when I said how stupid that was.

That's on the list of "dumbest poo poo I've ever heard" and given that I was in the Air Force, that's a pretty big deal

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bulletsponge13 posted:

They allow drinks in glasses in the galley so juice and tap water (with cucumbers!) are still served.

Its just retarded with all the food here. Months ago they stopped serving to go plates from the galley, then they stopped serving bottled water, under the auspices of environmental protection (burning Styrofoam is bad). Effectively all this did was end hot chow to go basewide, because you can just leave the galley, go around the corner to the grab and go, where you can still get cold chow in a Styrofoam box, and get a bottle of water there.

They also have Styrofoam cups in the galley which you are FORBIDDEN TO USE IN THE GALLEY but you can take to go, but there's that warning that all drinks must be consumed IN THE GALLEY.

Its the most pointless set of gestures that have only served to annoy most and stops none of the excesses.

Also they are having a spoon amnesty drive because we don't have any more teaspoons.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
as a taxpayer i demand to know what happened to the spoons