Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

thinking im gunna try reading some china mieville because everyone loves him apparently and i havent read anything hes written

where should i start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Anne Whateley posted:

Good but very depressing, don't read when sad or alone late at night. Or when sick

Those are the three times I want books the most. I guess it's mostly for the DMV or the hospital waiting room then?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

NecroMonster posted:

thinking im gunna try reading some china mieville because everyone loves him apparently and i havent read anything hes written

where should i start

iron councilllll

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Enfys posted:

Well, I haven't reread it as an adult, but I'm guessing it would be disappointing now. But then I remember seeing the movie and wondering how anyone could make a giant polar bear battle that boring.

seriously that scene was pretty hardcore, that movie was more disappointing than rereading the series as an adult tbh. perhaps the christian outrage about the movie was correct though, the books made me switch from episcopalian to atheist (I'm agnostic now)

although really the reason I loved that series as a kid was because of the idea of having an animal counterpart that could shapeshift

e: guys I got a dress!! this is a very rare occasion and it's partially your fault, it is awesome and colour block and makes me look ridiculously curvy

Portals fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 5, 2014

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
goodnight

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

thank you pick i thought that was the one you were talking about earlier but my memory is utterly usless anymore for reasons and i dont trust it

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Portals posted:

e: guys I got a dress!! this is a very rare occasion and it's partially your fault, it is awesome and colour block and makes me look ridiculously curvy

I always feel so weird in dresses. Like I'm overdressed or in a nightgown, depending on the dress.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Portals posted:

I am in love with colorblock ATM. Which one?? I'm on a sweaterdress kick right now.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

where should i start

I like Iron Council a lot but I know some people who really dislike it; The Scar has gotten pretty much universal praise so that may be a safer bet. Perdido Street Station is pretty rough but aside from some pacing issues it's a fun read IMO. The City and the City is a really trippy detective novel and Embassytown is kind of hard to get into but a cool sci-fi story about the nature of language.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Kimmalah posted:

I always feel so weird in dresses. Like I'm overdressed or in a nightgown, depending on the dress.

accessories and jackets and shoes can really tone down how formal a dress is

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

All of I know of Mievelle was this:

Which makes him sound pretentious, but then again it's the PA guys so :iamafag:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
webcomics

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

All of I know of Mievelle was this:

Which makes him sound pretentious, but then again it's the PA guys so :iamafag:

yes im afraid there are words in it

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i am going to destroy all the animals

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

penny arcade guys LIKE patric rothfuss

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bear in mind I was in no way endorsing the PA guys. They're "we're dads and it's precious" comics coupled with their lazy attitudes towards writing/drawing and occasional nerd-bro male-centrism is insufferable at best. It's just literally all I knew about Mievelle. Well that and that he wrote Perdido Street Station.

Also never forget: you can read every line of a Rothfuss protagonist in Zapp Brannigan's voice and it doesn't seem out of character either way.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

NecroMonster posted:

where should i start

i really liked The City and the City but I haven't read anything else by him

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

his prose is in the school of "i really loving love my thesaurus man i just loving love it" and while i generally sort have a bug up my butt over overly "smart" word choice its still really clean and mostly succinct so ill forgive him that especially if the other things ive heard about his writing (that i have no reason to actually question) bear true

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
i went to the zoo with my dad on friday and we saw a clouded leopard :3:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

did someone mention the Wheel of Time series by esteemed author Robert Jordan earlier because let me tell you i for one enjoy dubious quality sci-fi/fantasy where i like very choice parts of it amidst the sea of really questionable poo poo

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

poopkitty posted:

Those are the three times I want books the most. I guess it's mostly for the DMV or the hospital waiting room then?
I wouldn't read it in the hospital waiting room unless you're there for something pretty routine and not worrying. I read it mostly when commuting, and then the last ~third laying around on a Sunday. It's hard to put down, but commuting worked well because it kind of forces those breaks. I'm probably oversensitive but it's pretty unrelievedly brutal. Good though! Just have a chaser -- her other stuff isn't as depressing, and some is in the same universe. To Say Nothing of the Dog is very light, and fun if you like Three Men in a Boat, Wodehouse, etc.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

did someone mention the Wheel of Time series by esteemed author Robert Jordan earlier because let me tell you i for one enjoy dubious quality sci-fi/fantasy where i like very choice parts of it amidst the sea of really questionable poo poo

someone did and yeah i actually sort of enjoyed parts of those books but for god loving drat dont read them anyone ever gently caress

if brevity is the soul of wit than robert jordan was a loving retard

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Chiba City Blues posted:

:3: :3: :3:

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

there was a puma concolor too and i thought of you briefly

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Donkay NOoo posted:

accessories and jackets and shoes can really tone down how formal a dress is

Yeah, I don't know it's just something about skirts.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

NecroMonster posted:

someone did and yeah i actually sort of enjoyed parts of those books but for god loving drat dont read them anyone ever gently caress

if brevity is the soul of wit than robert jordan was a loving retard

i mean, it -almost- seems innocent until you phrase an important group in the books as 'a tower full of magic ladies who spank each other and also have to submit to their half of gender-based magic unlike guys who grab theirs by the horns forcefully yeehaw'

that said, the basic idea of the magic stuff in the books was kinda neat but all the extra details were an exercise in 'what the christ, robert jordan'

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Yeah, I'd never recommend those books to anyone. I did read them many years ago and actually enjoy them, though.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Watching people read those books whenever they came out and then bitch about how each one was dedicating progressively more and more pages just to recap the previous dozen books reminded me a lot of the way gamers just mindlessly consume horrible they kind of hate.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chiba City Blues posted:

leopards own

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
maybe I'm weird but I don't have the normal "awww kitty kitty" reaction to housecats but I do for leopards, lions etc

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

maybe I'm weird but I don't have the normal "awww kitty kitty" reaction to housecats but I do for leopards, lions etc

I like cheetahs a lot

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

poopkitty posted:

I am in love with colorblock ATM. Which one?? I'm on a sweaterdress kick right now.

I can't find a picture of it online but it looks similar to this but with elbow-length sleeves and no belt (and the material is less flowy):

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Yeah, I'd never recommend those books to anyone. I did read them many years ago and actually enjoy them, though.

same, i read up through 8 or 9 of them, mostly because i just enjoy reading a lot and if nothing else the series provides a lot of crap to chew through even if it's not high-class. i kind of want to read through the series entirely at some point just so i can have time-wasting material again.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Portals posted:

I can't find a picture of it online but it looks similar to this but with elbow-length sleeves and no belt (and the material is less flowy):

Nice! IMO belts dont belong on a dress like that. Defeats the purpose . . .

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

where should i start

embassytown

definitely embassytown or maybe the scar

(i guess some people don't like embassytown but it's basically the poo poo so whatever)

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I am making dash and shoyu eggs right now and dinner is going to be so totally delicious. My house smells like delicious warm soy. Turkey burgers tomorrow, anyone have a good recipe? (Not that I follow them, but ideas are good. I'm thinking Greek with Spinach, olives and feta.)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pick posted:

iron councilllll

no don't. it's super anoying because iron council is by far the best and really great, but my reading experience of it was enhanced a lot by having read perdido street station before hand, which is also good but kinda aimless and could put someone off the whole deal

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

poo poo too late im about a third through iron council already

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Chiba City Blues posted:

was it one of the animals the zoo keeps? because if so that's not very impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
it's really hard to paint red over black

NecroMonster posted:

poo poo too late im about a third through iron council already

it might work the same way the other way around.

• Locked thread