Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Malek posted:

I was genuinely wondering about the lack of starting spells. I might do a run real quick to see how they play as I haven't done much with them. However I can see them healing up really nicely with a high power rating and using Cure.

According to the stats, the Mage starts with 5 x Lightning Bolt scrolls and transcribes them each floor. Again, haven't played it b but just reading it over. Going to try him in the Adventurer's Forest now.

You start with 5 Lightning Bolts, that's it. When you level up a Title it gives you a handful of spells, like 3 Bless for the first title. But you attack is so pitiful that unless you burn through all your limited spells, you end up trading blows with enemies like 4 or 5 times each, and it just wears you down so fast. The first 10 floors or so are cake because duh, but once you get deeper it just gets so hard to progress it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Went ahead and made a SA guild in Valkyrie Connect.

To join, open the chat box in the lower left on the home screen, tap Join a Guild then search for:

SÖMTHINGSMÖRBOLL

Smorboll translates to "butter ball".

If you're playing this game, join the guild you fat buttery nerds.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Google just send me a google store dollar to my email. They called it a Christmas gift. Jump on that fellow cheap as gently caress goons.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

Millennial Sexlord posted:

You start with 5 Lightning Bolts, that's it. When you level up a Title it gives you a handful of spells, like 3 Bless for the first title. But you attack is so pitiful that unless you burn through all your limited spells, you end up trading blows with enemies like 4 or 5 times each, and it just wears you down so fast. The first 10 floors or so are cake because duh, but once you get deeper it just gets so hard to progress it seems.

Mages get easier as you upgrade your star levels, so you start out with higher stats and more EP. Opening both soul links helps as well, so you can attack magic/melee/venture skills. Also, knowing which magic paths work best in which dungeons (e.g., don't go dark magic against the undead) makes a big difference.

Also, Earth Portal makes a huge difference in being able to build up a huge stack of spells for later dungeons.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Shwqa posted:

Google just send me a google store dollar to my email. They called it a Christmas gift. Jump on that fellow cheap as gently caress goons.

Happy Birthday, Shwqa! Google remembered!

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Actually I was getting a Lightning Bolt scroll per level as I went down and since I stuck to melee attacks, that massed up quickly.

Lowest I ever got was 50 with a melee character on the 3rd boss in Adventurer's Forest... with a mage... I got to 70 just now. Not under powered but I did exclusively use the monkey in the tree from floor 6 onward and just danced around encounters until I ran out of items to pick up / spots to click.

Mages are bad rear end, and they drop bosses very nicely

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Whoever recommended Galimulator for watching the rise and fall of space empires without ever actually playing, you did me a solid. I've been watching the Illegal Wong Syndicate scrap and peddle their illegal Wongs from a small spiral arm of a dozen stars for 40 millennia.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Happy Birthday, Shwqa! Google remembered!

You remembered :unsmith:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Malek posted:

Actually I was getting a Lightning Bolt scroll per level as I went down and since I stuck to melee attacks, that massed up quickly.

Lowest I ever got was 50 with a melee character on the 3rd boss in Adventurer's Forest... with a mage... I got to 70 just now. Not under powered but I did exclusively use the monkey in the tree from floor 6 onward and just danced around encounters until I ran out of items to pick up / spots to click.

Mages are bad rear end, and they drop bosses very nicely

I...never thought to not try to kill everything I see.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

RoboCicero posted:

Holy balls I'm an idiot. I got all the way up to the arena dungeon and it was your post that prompted me to tap on a food icon and feed my dudes! I though the lock icon was the beginning so I kept tapping on the lock, shrugging because the requirements seemed like they kept moving further away, and navigating back out.

Yeah, you aren't going to do loads of damage if you're just smashing some empty balls into the enemy's face over and over.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
You shouldn't need to even use spells until past floor 30. Just level your balls the reason why you are fireballing stuff so early is because base stats are so low.

Also Mage gumball is more of a support character for soul link. Main ball should be Odin if you can afford him, his unique buff to electro field pretty much allows him to double his stats when you cast it.

FYI Mage/Canan Enlightenment units are expensive as hell to build a good team.

The cheapest/best teams for endless runs are still melee based. Zorro/Zerg Queen/other.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Whoever recommended Galimulator for watching the rise and fall of space empires without ever actually playing, you did me a solid. I've been watching the Illegal Wong Syndicate scrap and peddle their illegal Wongs from a small spiral arm of a dozen stars for 40 millennia.

Agreed 100% -- I've been rooting for the Meng worlds, who were a contender for major power around 20 millenia ago, but now are much smaller, with about 4 stars in the NE corner, and just had an empire called "Axe Gang" start expanding near them and I've got a feeling their days are numbered...

The 'transcending/degenerating' behaviors really make the interplay of different empires so much more interesting in terms of the macro-level rise/fall than when you're actually playing a 4x.

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

mrkillboy posted:

Solitairica is a mash up of solitaire and RPG and roguelike things that's out now on Android after an initial iOS release a few months back.

I love this, thank you for posting it! It's got a nice sense of humor to it and the RPG elements really feel like they got some thought.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

In the gumball arena dungeon when you go to a 1v1 against another gladiator take damage all enemies spells/items and you can kill the crowd and get loot :black101:

I'm probably having a duh moment but how do I repair the airship?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Len posted:

In the gumball arena dungeon when you go to a 1v1 against another gladiator take damage all enemies spells/items and you can kill the crowd and get loot :black101:

I'm probably having a duh moment but how do I repair the airship?

I wondered if there was some way to interact with the gladiator crowd! That's funny.

To repair the airship, I think you need to have 15 gumballs on your tree, and then pay half a million coins. I've got the cash but only like 10 characters so far :(

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
For what it's worth, I'm at the point where I've got the Airship and have cleared up to the Witch gumball's dungeon, and am trying out Mage for the first time with Priest and Terminator soul-linked because my daily quest was that. I got up to level 20 or so, Portaled back to the start, and took Black Robe -> Conjuror -> Earth Master -> Plane Prophet. Plane Prophet itself won't help me any more unless I get my hands on more Portal scrolls, but that start-over grace period let me level up the Totems and that's going great. I'm mitigating damage using Totems intelligently, have more than enough HP to clean up a level and heal myself, and am starting to work on the Fight skills to make life even better. It's slow going but it's a powerhouse and I haven't even touched 90% of my scroll cache.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Are there any controllers designed for Android (as in, they have those retractable or screw on holders for the phone) that use a direct wired connection instead of Bluetooth? I pucked up a Moga on the cheap and the input lag in emulators is killing my fun.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Tip for those wanting to use a lot of magic in Gumballs; buy the Magic Golem gumball from your little cave (and the Hellfire one). Its skill link ability lets you offset health damage into MP, which lets you tank damage long enough to EP up your Hellfire gum to start generating obscene amounts of Fire damage. With the basic Fireball spell I was doing 150+ damage by the first boss. Insane output.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Are there any controllers designed for Android (as in, they have those retractable or screw on holders for the phone) that use a direct wired connection instead of Bluetooth? I pucked up a Moga on the cheap and the input lag in emulators is killing my fun.

I use the Gamesir 3G, and it is just fantastic. It can be used both wired and via bluetooth (using the phones micro USB slot). The regular model comes with a cable, but you can get a cheaper one that doesn't have bluetooth and only has a cable:

https://www.amazon.com/Gamesir-Gamepad-Controller-Android-Smartphone-Tablet/dp/B019H4DSI0/

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Rutibex posted:

I use the Gamesir 3G, and it is just fantastic. It can be used both wired and via bluetooth (using the phones micro USB slot). The regular model comes with a cable, but you can get a cheaper one that doesn't have bluetooth and only has a cable:

https://www.amazon.com/Gamesir-Gamepad-Controller-Android-Smartphone-Tablet/dp/B019H4DSI0/

Looks nice! I noticed the G4s is on sale for $50 and has the same baseline features. I think I'll grab that one.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Rutibex posted:

You want pixel art and dood collecting and Pokemon battles?! Oh boy do I have a game for you:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thylacinestudios.siralim2&hl=en
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUQdYc1n4Bo

This game is stupidly fun. Got to catch them all and MURDER everything

Level 11 death caster with, i feel a strong team. I tweak people every time someone's starting stats or abilities tickle my fancy. Catch people up quickly enough

Haven't figured out how to get eggs yet but this is fun

Edit just unlocked the hatchery but but...i don't want to lose the parents forever :(

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 10, 2016

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
So the gumball game is pretty fun and I wanted to go ahead and spend the buck for the terminator gumball but I can't seem to buy anything. I can push the "Confirm" button but it never pops up the normal purchase dialog. This happen to anyone else?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What is the best Diablo 2 clone on Android? Can I play actual Diablo 2? I know there are a lot out there, but the game I am looking for must have a few important features:

-No micro-transactions or DLC
-Fully offline

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I think Torchlight might be your only option? I'm not aware of any other game in the genre that doesn't use microtransactions.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dancer posted:

I think Torchlight might be your only option? I'm not aware of any other game in the genre that doesn't use microtransactions.

Is that even on Android? I can't find it.

EDIT: Ok, I guess it's on its way: http://torchlightmobile.com/

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 10, 2016

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Titan Quest was released on Android earlier this year, but I have no idea about the quality of the port.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Rutibex posted:

What is the best Diablo 2 clone on Android? Can I play actual Diablo 2? I know there are a lot out there, but the game I am looking for must have a few important features:

-No micro-transactions or DLC
-Fully offline

Hold out for torchlight. Ive been looking for the same thing for years, and most android games in this genre are either heavy on IAPs, have a huge grind or both.

Dungeon Hunter 5 is the worst example. At first it seems fun, but it pulls you in too many directions and nagging you to either spend money or watch videos. There is a way to play Diablo 1, but you have to through a ton of poo poo to get it to work, and even then, plan on needing an OTG cable for the mouse/keyboard for it to be remotely playable.

Alternatively, you can use Splashtop to stream whatever game you want from your pc. If you pay or have your own vpn you can take it anywhere, otherwise youre tied to streaming on the local network. I used it for a while, and it works surprisingly well hut android games are getting so good nowadays i dont want to gently caress with setting it all up.

Unless you really like the idea of trying to shoehorn touch controls onto pc games, or want to carry around an otg cable, mouse and keyboard, just wait for torchlight.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

butt dickus posted:

So the gumball game is pretty fun and I wanted to go ahead and spend the buck for the terminator gumball but I can't seem to buy anything. I can push the "Confirm" button but it never pops up the normal purchase dialog. This happen to anyone else?

This happened to me as well, and I can't remember what I did to fix it. Pretty sure I went to the store screen via a different button, but don't know which one.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I got Gumball and Dungeons and I can't believe how it can get away with all that copyright infringment.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

There is a way to play Diablo 1, but you have to through a ton of poo poo to get it to work, and even then, plan on needing an OTG cable for the mouse/keyboard for it to be remotely playable.

I have been playing the PS1 version of Diablo 1 on my tablet using an emulator. Its no Diablo 2, but its still better than all the micro-transaction hell games I found in the Android Market:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7KCXXSVeck

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Hold out for torchlight. Ive been looking for the same thing for years, and most android games in this genre are either heavy on IAPs, have a huge grind or both.

Unless you really like the idea of trying to shoehorn touch controls onto pc games, or want to carry around an otg cable, mouse and keyboard, just wait for torchlight.

Uh, from the look of their facebook and Twitter they haven't done or said anything about the game in almost a year. Is there some other news that makes you think it'll actually ever come out?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

are there any android games like that old Gazillionaire game where you fly around the galaxy and buy/sell stuff, and there's also a stock market? i've been looking for something to scratch that itch (and disappointed that Gazillionaire doesn't have a port)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

horriblePencilist posted:

I got Gumball and Dungeons and I can't believe how it can get away with all that copyright infringment.

It was mentioned that the developer said the game was originally going to be for an established IP, but then it didn't happen. So, yeah, it's a Not Dragon Warrior Slimes game.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I'm really curious about the history of that game's development. In the one in-game letter they posted, it almost sounded to me like they started developing it as a DQ slime game on their own, and then went to Square-Enix and tried to pitch them on a collaboration. So now we have a "these totally aren't slimes you guys" game, but they decided to leave in full names and accurate likenesses of a lot of other fictional characters, like Indy/Lara and Predator. I guess the Wizard of Oz characters are in the public domain, but the less said about the "Dorothy's Diary" item the better :barf:

edit: not to mention a literal Terminator playable character

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I like the gumballs and dungeons so far with the huge exception of the bosses they feel like too huge of roadblocks Ivery only beaten 1 or 2 wit hour dumping iap.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

socialsecurity posted:

I like the gumballs and dungeons so far with the huge exception of the bosses they feel like too huge of roadblocks Ivery only beaten 1 or 2 wit hour dumping iap.

I'm getting more into it the more I play. Bosses are only roadblocks until you upgrade units a few times and learn to game each boss's mechanic.
It's surprisingly well made for all of the terrible English.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The only thing I don't like about Gumballs and Dungeons is that dungeons quickly get too long to keep it a proper poopbreak game. It's really, really good otherwise.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aaronicon posted:

Tip for those wanting to use a lot of magic in Gumballs; buy the Magic Golem gumball from your little cave (and the Hellfire one). Its skill link ability lets you offset health damage into MP, which lets you tank damage long enough to EP up your Hellfire gum to start generating obscene amounts of Fire damage. With the basic Fireball spell I was doing 150+ damage by the first boss. Insane output.

The only problem with this is that the Mage isn't in the same faction as the Magic and Hellfire golems. Who is a viable substitute to skill-link these to?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The only thing I don't like about Gumballs and Dungeons is that dungeons quickly get too long to keep it a proper poopbreak game. It's really, really good otherwise.

You can just close the game and reconnect later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

poop slower :shrug: