Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

it’s a security thing, at least on an iphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mod saas posted:

1) I had an old galaxy s5 that would do this increasingly often as it was dying, it would crash without actually rebooting to the SAMSUNG logo

2) apple devices do this too, turns out that even if you don’t power them off they’ll occasionally reboot userspace to keep everything clean

I don't mind rebooting the phone every so often if it keeps the passphrase thing away. I just want to know that rebooting is the reason for it so I can do it preemptively and not while trying to check out at the grocer.

But since Android phones can report uptime, and it's been 26 days since the last reboot, it's clear that clearing out userspace was not entirely the reason.

So hopefully this weekly reboot will do the trick, though. If I have to speculate any more on this issue then I'll probably go dig up code. If I remember correctly (albiet this may be lollipop days) that codebase is pretty bad but not impossible to follow.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I mean, I totally understand why they want people to unlock with a passphrase at least once every few days to make sure someone didn't just kill you (or knock you out or just stole your phone and your right hand) and is using your fingerprint to maintain access.

But if I do it once per day then I think that should be good enough to prove that it's still in the right hands, not some stupid random check.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sb hermit posted:

I don't mind rebooting the phone every so often if it keeps the passphrase thing away. I just want to know that rebooting is the reason for it so I can do it preemptively and not while trying to check out at the grocer.

But since Android phones can report uptime, and it's been 26 days since the last reboot, it's clear that clearing out userspace was not entirely the reason.

So hopefully this weekly reboot will do the trick, though. If I have to speculate any more on this issue then I'll probably go dig up code. If I remember correctly (albiet this may be lollipop days) that codebase is pretty bad but not impossible to follow.

sb hermit posted:

I mean, I totally understand why they want people to unlock with a passphrase at least once every few days to make sure someone didn't just kill you (or knock you out or just stole your phone and your right hand) and is using your fingerprint to maintain access.

But if I do it once per day then I think that should be good enough to prove that it's still in the right hands, not some stupid random check.

anroid lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have noticed that my iphone does the same ask for passcode thing randomly out of the blue like my pixel does, you can indeed check uptime in an Iphone if you have an app like status lite or system stats.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
oh gross I just clicked this thread by accident

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sb hermit posted:

it needs to happen constantly because repetition is what makes you actually remember it

the alternative is you forget it because you never use it, but you only find out that you've forgotten after a reboot and then you're totally screwed

also if it happens randomly, that makes it less obvious when you activate the "cop pulled me over and i don't want them to use my fingerprint to unlock the phone" mode

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Jabor posted:

it needs to happen constantly because repetition is what makes you actually remember it

the alternative is you forget it because you never use it, but you only find out that you've forgotten after a reboot and then you're totally screwed

also if it happens randomly, that makes it less obvious when you activate the "cop pulled me over and i don't want them to use my fingerprint to unlock the phone" mode

I think you forgot that I said that I activate it with passphrase at least 1x/day to see if it keeps the prompt away. If I'm entering it that often, it's unlikely that I forgot it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
back when i used a timbphone it would ask for my passphrase if i dind't unlock my phone by fingerprint for a day or so. as long as i hosed with it twice a day it'd stay like that

with my pixel it just does it whenever the gently caress. i'll hit lock and a minute later go to unlock it and it'll require my password again

it's extremely annoying. android

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

for iOS it’s:

https://support.apple.com/guide/security/touch-id-face-id-passcodes-and-passwords-sec9479035f1/1/web/1

quote:

The user has not unlocked their device for more than 48 hours.

The user hasn’t used their passcode or password to unlock their device for 156 hours (six and a half days) and the user hasn’t used a biometric to unlock their device in 4 hours.

it’s fun that Android does it completely randomly and too often, thus negating the actual convenience of the feature itself lol. that’s a new one to me. haven’t used android since 2011 or so, before biometrics were a big thing.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
just like when adnroid 9 or whatever made it so that the volume buttons no longer changed the volume of your ringtone/alerts

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Last Chance posted:

for iOS it’s:

https://support.apple.com/guide/security/touch-id-face-id-passcodes-and-passwords-sec9479035f1/1/web/1

it’s fun that Android does it completely randomly and too often, thus negating the actual convenience of the feature itself lol. that’s a new one to me. haven’t used android since 2011 or so, before biometrics were a big thing.

thanks for pointing this out

EDIT: The funny thing is that if I unlock my phone more than once every four hours then I start to believe that I'm getting addicted to my device.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
lg shows great confidence in their rollable phone tech by considering getting out of the phone biz entirely

quote:

LG Electronics may exit the smartphone business after losing about 5 trillion won ($4.5 billion) over the past five years.

Its CEO Kwon Bong-seok on Wednesday sent out a message to staff that hinted there would be a major change in the operation of the smartphone segment.

“Regardless of any change in the direction of the smartphone business operation, the employment will be maintained, so there is no need to worry,” he said.

“Since the competition in the global market for mobile devices is getting fiercer, it is about time for LG to make a cold judgment and the best choice,” an LG official explained. “The company is considering all possible measures, including sale, withdrawal and downsizing of the smartphone business.”

There have been rumors that the phone vendor might be preparing to downsize, or dismantle, its mobile device business unit.

Some 60 percent of the staff there would be moved and reassigned to other business units within the company or to other LG affiliates, the rumors said. Despite its surprising teaser of a rollable display smartphone at this year’s CES technology show, some local media reported that LG would make an important announcement Tuesday regarding its smartphone division.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
:rip: I had an lg dumb phone that was fine until it broke. at one point I had a leg smartphone that was fine until it broke

hmmmm

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

they should try putting their smart tv operating system on a phone imo.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lg env-2 maroon best dumb phone

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I had an lg phone it was the nexus 4 and it was the best phone I ever owned

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

Jenny Agutter posted:

I had an lg phone it was the nexus 4 and it was the best phone I ever owned

same

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

you should get a good phone, they're pretty cool. think my mother in law had an lg and it was utter garbage, to zero surprise.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

EL BROMANCE posted:

my mother in law had an lg and it was utter garbage, to zero surprise.
l g = literally garbage

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

lucky goldstar

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i had a samsung flip phone that was pretty nice, had a little screen on the front to show who was calling, but then att made me upgrade and i got an lg flip phone and instead of a screen on the front it had a tiny mirror that you couldn't see your whole face in and gave no information about who was calling

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
on the plus side posters could tell you to “open ur phone lol” when you said something was gross

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

you should get a good phone, they're pretty cool. think my mother in law had an lg and it was utter garbage, to zero surprise.

Yeah, iPhones are pretty cool. It’s a shame there aren’t any good anroid phones.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

correct

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
LG products have always been lousy quality. they seem incapable of making things without cutting corners and their design is terrible. it’s unfortunate because they’re one of the best LCD and OLED panel makers.

welp, I guess it’s just Samsung in the US now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm quite happy with my Lucky Goldstar computer monitor, yeah

But I don't think I'd buy any other of their products

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Life's Good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

I'm quite happy with my Lucky Goldstar computer monitor, yeah

But I don't think I'd buy any other of their products

i have one of those, except it's a television, but i use it as a computer monitor.

it is very nice

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Management posted:

LG products have always been lousy quality. they seem incapable of making things without cutting corners and their design is terrible. it’s unfortunate because they’re one of the best LCD and OLED panel makers.

welp, I guess it’s just Samsung in the US now

Funny enough, when I did use anroid the V20 was one of the best Anroid phones I ever used.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i used an LG monitor for a long time, and also had a great LG phone for a teenager to own

the ENV2

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/01/sony-adds-hdmi-to-last-years-android-phone-charges-2500/

quote:

Sony's latest entry into the smartphone market, the Sony Xperia Pro, is a boring, old slab phone that seems utterly forgettable until you look at the price: an astounding $2,500, or the price of three brand-new, $800 Samsung Galaxy S21s. Sony has really outdone itself.

Mostly the Xperia Pro seems a lot like the Xperia 1 II, Sony's already-overpriced $1,300 flagship smartphone from 2020. Both have 6.5-inch, almost-4K, 3840×1644, 60Hz OLED displays, the Snapdragon 865 SoC, three rear cameras, an IP65 rating, and a 4000mAh battery. This year's Xperia Pro gets a tier bump to 12GB of RAM and 512GB of storage, but that's only usually worth $100 extra. There's also mmWave 5G this year, two "app shortcut" buttons on the side, and a shutter button. Fancy.

None of that explains why this phone is at least $1,000 more than it should be. Sony's justification for the outrageous price is (drumroll please) an HDMI port. Yes, in addition to the USB-C port on the bottom, there is also a Micro HDMI port that can be used as a video input. Sony suggests either hooking the phone up to a Sony Alpha camera and using it as a live video monitor or pushing an external video source out to the Internet for livestreaming. Just this one feature and the camera-adjacentness is worth $1,000 extra by Sony's logic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i spent 300 dollars on my sony about 3 years ago and it's still going great. the camera is only adequate but i have a real camera so who cares.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i kind of like that play by sony. it is outrageously expensive for a phone, but not that ridiculous for anyone seriously wanting to stream some video at very high quality (by sending your high-quality cameras video over hdmi to the phone). a narrow use-case, but there being the one phone perfect for all people was always nonsense.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
couldn’t you just plug a $120 elgato cam link into any android?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
it begins: google shuts down internal stadia-focused game development studios, refocuses stadia on third-parties

Google posted:

In 2021, we’re expanding our efforts to help game developers and publishers take advantage of our platform technology and deliver games directly to their players. We see an important opportunity to work with partners seeking a gaming solution all built on Stadia’s advanced technical infrastructure and platform tools. We believe this is the best path to building Stadia into a long-term, sustainable business that helps grow the industry.

Creating best-in-class games from the ground up takes many years and significant investment, and the cost is going up exponentially. Given our focus on building on the proven technology of Stadia as well as deepening our business partnerships, we’ve decided that we will not be investing further in bringing exclusive content from our internal development team SG&E, beyond any near-term planned games.

Kotaku posted:

Still, without offering an all-you-can-play service nor offering killer exclusive games, Stadia struggled to get its footing. Meanwhile, Microsoft ramped up its xCloud cloud gaming service as part of its Game Pass Ultimate bundle, and Stadia became less and less alluring to the kind of hardcore gamer who can build buzz for a new gaming service.

Google seemingly built for the future with the creation of first-party studios and a leadership team consisting of accomplished studio heads and creative directors, but those efforts weren’t enough to stave off the fate many people feared when hearing about this Google initiative: that it would lose support from within before it got ample time to realize its potential.

Stadia isn’t quite done. The Stadia tech could still succeed. By many accounts, Stadia runs games great. But as a game-maker, Google appears to have packed it in. Said one source familiar with Stadia’s first-party operations, citing another tech giant’s widely publicized failure to create video games: “Google was a terrible place to make games. Imagine Amazon, but under-resourced.”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Kins posted:

Stadia isn’t quite done. The Stadia tech could still succeed. By many accounts, Stadia runs games great

lol

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

the final stadia of stadia

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
google is such a goddamn fuckup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

did they actually release any first party games?