Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

mllaneza posted:

Until it starts to thicken up.

tuyop posted:

Does the cookbook have a recipe for that sauce somewhere else?

Following up! The cookbook didn't have a separate recipe for "Thai sauce" that i could see, so I tried boiling the leftover marinade. Reduced it to around 1/3rd the volume and drizzled over the chicken. Tasted fine! We'll see in 0-24 hours if it gives us food poisoning. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

El Jeffe posted:

I've got some B12 supplements that contain about 42,000% the daily value per pill. Why put so much in it? Is B12 so cheap that an inert filler would actually be more expensive or something?

When some blood work showed that my vitamin D was low I was taking a weekly pill that was 1000% of the daily value on the orders of my doctor. This was a temporary measure and I believe the reason was that some vitamins linger in the body and keep getting absorbed rather than just being passed.

That said it sounds like it's just marketing because it's a cheap vitamin and they want you to see that bad be impressed as other people said.

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vitamin megadoses are pretty common treatment for deficiency, even some fat soluble vitamins are pretty difficult to overdose on at 10x daily recommended without going for a few months taking that much. I think vitamin A is a bit easier to overdose on and people who take supplements without needing them sometimes get too much of it, but it's not a super common problem.

Also basically everyone reading this is probably kinda short on vitamin D unless you live farther south than the average poster and spend more time outside than the general posting population, it's the only vitamin that most people should be taking.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

When some blood work showed that my vitamin D was low I was taking a weekly pill that was 1000% of the daily value on the orders of my doctor. This was a temporary measure and I believe the reason was that some vitamins linger in the body and keep getting absorbed rather than just being passed.

That said it sounds like it's just marketing because it's a cheap vitamin and they want you to see that bad be impressed as other people said.

Some vitamins, (A D E K), are fat soluble, so your body can store them. Some like B and C are water soluble, so in general your body can’t really store much and you end up peeing out the excess. The bigger issue is that since your body can accumulate the fat soluble vitamins you don’t want to megadose those unless your doctor has identified a deficiency like in your situation. If you megadose B you’ll basically just be making your pee yellower and more expensive.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Herbert Stencil posted:

Also basically everyone reading this is probably kinda short on vitamin D unless you live farther south than the average poster and spend more time outside than the general posting population, it's the only vitamin that most people should be taking.

Laughing in Australian at this.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The intersection should have lines painted on it to guide cars into the correct lane. However, I believe the legally expected behavior is that the leftmost lane entering the intersection goes to the leftmost lane leaving the intersection, and so on. People routinely ignore this, of course, and use intersections as a way to change lanes while making their turns.

You might ask in the GWS general questions thread.

Thanks for the info!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inceltown posted:

Laughing in Australian at this.

healthdirect posted:

More than 1 in every 3 Australian adults has mild, moderate or severe vitamin D deficiency.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Have you been outside in Australia? No, you haven't, because if you had you'd be on fire. Smart Australians stay inside.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I have a beanie I'm trying to sell but I can't find any existence of it online as far as I can tell. It's an Alexander McQueen which I guess is some kind of fashion brand but if there's no way to compare it to anything else how would I ever know if there's a good price on it? Is this a case of throwing it up on ebay and letting the bidders decide on the price?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

This site has one new for $420 Canadian, and here's a used one on eBay for $150 US. I don't know if Poshmark or some other fashion-focused site would be better or worse for a seller, but McQueen is pretty expensive anywhere.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Hotel Kpro posted:

I have a beanie I'm trying to sell but I can't find any existence of it online as far as I can tell. It's an Alexander McQueen which I guess is some kind of fashion brand but if there's no way to compare it to anything else how would I ever know if there's a good price on it? Is this a case of throwing it up on ebay and letting the bidders decide on the price?

Use google lens to take a picture search of it and find out what others like that one are selling for.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
after seeing the online values, you can also check local consignment/vintage if you have it before trying to deal with all the issues of actually selling online.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If you buy someone else a custom avatar, you lose all your gang tags?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

If you buy someone else a custom avatar, you lose all your gang tags?

I don't think you do, but they do.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Taeke posted:

I don't think you do, but they do.

drat. That's really freaking lame.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

gangtags are just [img]s added in the text under an avatar, where one might put a redtext or you have that link. So if you buy someone a new avatar and don't include the previous [img]s they'll be gone.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ah hah, that makes more sense. Just add the former gang tags as additional img tags.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

If someone changes your avatar and you lose a gangtag you liked you can try pm a modmin to get them to put it back in for you.

This probably won't work if you got redtexted though, wear your badge of shame / pride.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Herbert Stencil posted:

If you're eating a vegan diet, you should also be supplementing with B12.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I want to record the sounds of my cat purring. I have a Canon 5D Mark III DSLR which I would like to use to record the video. What kind of gear do I need to record the audio? Where do I even begin?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Trickortreat posted:

I want to record the sounds of my cat purring. I have a Canon 5D Mark III DSLR which I would like to use to record the video. What kind of gear do I need to record the audio? Where do I even begin?

What's the usage? 95% of the time, your phone is pretty good for recording audio

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

bee posted:

Use google lens to take a picture search of it and find out what others like that one are selling for.

I tried but it seems like there's nothing like it. No mention of it even existing. I swear Puma made more than one of these

https://i.imgur.com/5FN6pQD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7U8ZdDe.jpg

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Hotel Kpro posted:

I tried but it seems like there's nothing like it. No mention of it even existing. I swear Puma made more than one of these

https://i.imgur.com/5FN6pQD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7U8ZdDe.jpg

My guess is that it's a fake. The quality is VERY different than the other mcqueen/puma beanie I saw in my search

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 18, 2023

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Is there a good place to ask about those electric stand up scooters? I live in Houston, and work about two miles from my house. I walk to the bars, restaurants, grocery stores etc all the time anyway. My neighbor has one and I've run around on it a bunch. His is a cheap $300 one and is great, but when I try to look them up online there's a million options from $200 to over $1000.

Aside from speed and range, and obviously build quality, I'm not seeing a huge functional difference. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start or a better place to ask?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
In lieu of anywhere else, there's likely a small or random questions thread in AI. Full disclosure: I never read or post in AI. But it seems like that's in their wheelhouse ( :haw: )

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ironhead posted:

Is there a good place to ask about those electric stand up scooters? I live in Houston, and work about two miles from my house. I walk to the bars, restaurants, grocery stores etc all the time anyway. My neighbor has one and I've run around on it a bunch. His is a cheap $300 one and is great, but when I try to look them up online there's a million options from $200 to over $1000.

Aside from speed and range, and obviously build quality, I'm not seeing a huge functional difference. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start or a better place to ask?

I hate being the guy who doesn't answer the original question and instead responds with something irrelevant. I would suggest looking into an actual electric bike rather than electric scooter. Seriously, they're incredible, offer more versatility, if you're doing quick grocery store runs, I'm sure you can kit your bike out with a trolley or container or something to easily carry your stuff home. You can offroad with an electric bike, and handle more uneven terrain. I used one when I was on vacation for a tour and it was a phenomenal experience and made me wish I could have my own. Sadly, the desert is not really somewhere that is conducive to cycling about. I don't know how robust the scooters are, but I know the electric bike I used made it super easy to cycle around parks, on the grass, over really bumpy terrain, cobblestones, etc. So you would be opening yourself up to enjoying a lot more experiences, like throwing it in the back of the car and going on a nice forest trail when you're not scooting about town.

So yeah, pushing a different agenda, but if it were me, I'd rather spend a bit extra (or unfortunately a lot in this case) for something that has heaps more utility. Electric scooters are also great but it seems like they're far more limited.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 18, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Electric scooter thread in Cycle Asylum. Haven't read it, but it doesn't seem like a very busy place.

One major thing with the more expensive scooters is replacement part availability. But also puncture resistant tires, ride comfort, anti theft measures, app integration (eugh), acceleration curve, disc brakes... How compact you can fold it up to and weight might matter if public transport is part of your commute. One model I was casually looking at had the charger built in, so you could just recharge anywhere with a standard kettle lead. Most scooters support a rider weight of up to 100kg. If you imagine yourself with a backpack full of groceries going over that, more expensive scooters can be more robust.

It is not all going to matter if you only ever do very walkable distances as essentially a novelty. It's obviously a different value proposition of you need it to get you to work. But if something breaks on the $200 scooter and it becomes a paperweight because you can't get parts, that sounds like a bummer. There is going to be a second hand market for older models that were well reviewed. Something to look into.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I have a random question that I guess pertains to social norms.

My best friend's daughter (his first kid) was just born. His wife is having a lot of trouble with the post-birth pain (after they got it checked out they confirmed it's nothing dangerous) and I was mentioning it to my mom. She mentioned that, after my birth, in addition to the pain from tearing/episiotomy, she also realized that there was pain from hemorrhoids from all the anesthetized pushing during the birth (but it was hard to tell because it was mixed in with all the other pain/discomfort from the tearing, so she didn't realize it was contributing for a while). Treating that as well (because the lidocaine spray/cream they give isn't exactly going to do much for internal hemorrhoids) apparently helped a lot.

Is it weird/inappropriate to mention this just as a "can't hurt to use some hemorrhoid meds since they might be contributing to the pain/discomfort" thing? For more context, we're both each others' best friends and he's been confiding in me a lot regarding the whole process (which is why I know about the pain from the birth to begin with), but I don't know his wife that well (obviously I'd be tell him though, not his wife). You'd think that the hospital would have mentioned this, but apparently they had a really bad time just getting them to answer any questions about her issues (because many medical professionals don't take womens' pain seriously).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're best friends then it's really a question of how your relationship is.

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean it just depends on your relationship, are they the kind of people who would be weird about it or not?

If it was me I'd just send a text saying "btw here's what my mom said about her experience with childbirth" and include that. I dunno how anyone else is going to be able to tell you how they'd react though.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Post birth me would have been stressed out by the idea of my partner discussing my damaged vage with their friends. IMO, leave it be.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

bee posted:

Post birth me would have been stressed out by the idea of my partner discussing my damaged vage with their friends. IMO, leave it be.

No need to tell her directly. He could (and I would) relate the story to his best friend though. Don't know what kind of relationship it is but you're all adults and adults sometimes talk about weird/gross/personal poo poo and you're only trying to help. I wouldn't make it a big deal or a whole conversation unless my friend wanted to, but I'd definitely mention to my friend "oh, btw, you told me about that thing and it reminded of this thing my mom told me that might be helpful. Anyway, how was the game last Saturday?" Or whatever if that makes it less awkward.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

"oh, btw, you told me about that thing and it reminded of this thing my mom told me that might be helpful. Anyway, how was the game last Saturday?"

This is probably the most awkward way possible to do it but also very funny.

I would just say it directly - your friend is clearly comfortable having a frank discussion with his wife as well as you, based on what you’ve written here.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

leave an anonymous note in a conspicuous place

"heard about ur brith hurts"

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Goon Boots posted:

leave an anonymous note in a conspicuous place

"heard about ur brith hurts"

This, but since it is your best friend, go ahead and buy some preparation H to attach the note to and then leave that on their porch.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I’ve heard the two biggest pains in your rear end after birth are your spouse and hemorrhoids, how’s he treating ya?
Great, and the hemorrhoids?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Do any religions or denominations keep their places of worship open all night?

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know of any that do services overnight as a full time thing generally, though I bet there are plenty of late night muslim gatherings at places of worship during Ramadan in the summer.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Orthodox churches do a lot of overnight things but don't keep the church open overnight as a rule. I suppose if the community needed it (like Vegas or some other place that doesn't have a single time where everyone is asleep) they would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

NotNut posted:

Do any religions or denominations keep their places of worship open all night?

I've heard of individual churches staying open all night to shelter community members that the government wants to kick out of the country, because in many countries places of worship are constitutionally protected. Doesn't mean they offer services all night though.