Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hauki posted:

The new cospri's is pretty interesting. Also the Mjolner change is p. interesting and I think people are way underestimating the difference between a 30% chance and a 100% chance, 100ms cool down or no. For fucks sake, the Reddit thread is comparing it to goddess scorned as if they're remotely analogous. Anyway Mjolner or messing with cospri's malice might be a second char for me after I've gotten a bit of currency worked up to support it.

5th top post on the subreddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Based on the thread the creator made, Cospri's malice can be anywhere from 154 to 273 cold dps. The one in the screenshot is 238 cold dps. It's not terrible but it isn't amazing either. However you can auto-curse frostbite with it while casting AB/ice nova/freezepulse/frost bomb/whatever else you like which could be amusing.

J
Jun 10, 2001

TheRat posted:

I've been telling a few people lately that I really dont recommend going pathfinder as a first build, as I feel it requires too much investment to really shine.

As for my build, I'm going some form of firestorm. Here are the four options I've worked out so far, that may change depending on patch notes:

http://poeurl.com/JUj - MoM Berserker
Pledge of hands + kaoms heart + blood dance
Firestorm->Controlled destruction->Elemental Focus->Fire penetration->Increased Aoe->Faster Casting
blashpemy temp chains

http://poeurl.com/JUm - Berserker
Pledge of hands + kaoms heart + blood dance
Firestorm->Controlled destruction->Elemental Focus->Fire penetration->Increased Aoe->Faster Casting
Some sort of aura/blasphemy setup

http://poeurl.com/JPD - Blood magic Chieftain
blood dance + doons + rise of the phoenix
Firestorm->Spell echo->Controlled destruction->Iron will->Fire penetration->Increased Aoe
no auras

http://poeurl.com/JUk - Chieftain
kaoms heart + blood magic staff + blood dance
Firestorm->Spell echo->Controlled destruction->Iron will->Fire penetration->Increased Aoe
Some sort of aura/blasphemy setup

Did the patch notes change any of your thoughts on these builds? I've pretty much narrowed it down to either trying the 2nd build on your list, or just following the bandwagon and doing BV pathfinder.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

J posted:

Did the patch notes change any of your thoughts on these builds? I've pretty much narrowed it down to either trying the 2nd build on your list, or just following the bandwagon and doing BV pathfinder.

The patch notes didnt touch anything related to these builds at all, as far as I can tell.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Rianeva posted:

Can someone invite me to the guild, please? Character name is Marchani.

Says you are allready in a guild? Did you get invited by someone else?

Devor posted:

Could I get a guild invite for DevorQuaker?

Done.

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009
Thinking I want to do a bladefall poison trapper to start with, ive never played a miner/trapper build and dont really want to do another EQ build to start. Is this dumb? Will traps get nerfed 3 days in?

Alternatively what else should I start with?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

J posted:

you can do firestorm zerker to farm for your pathfinder since it can map with just the pledge and rares (pledge is fkin cheap now) and vinktars is mucho expensive early on (and ToH all league long)

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Anyone have any experience with emberwake? I don't think I've ever seen any real discussion of the item post-release.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
First very bad stab at cold mjolnering @ L80.

Need like 200 int on gear, and didn't manage to snag almost any spell damage. I think this probably gets you close to ~5 triggers/second of vortex, frostbolt, arctic breath (I think you want three spells rather than supports since the first is kind of a 100% more, the second 50% more, which is better than any supports you can get?)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I feel like freeze pulse would be better than frostbolt, since frostbolt is ultraslow.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
because it triggers in sequence, at 5 triggers per second (i.e., above the likely 100ms cap), is there a point with three spells? it's not 100% more - you don't get all three off with each trigger. you get one at a time. it may as well be the same one, but cold pen and hypothermia.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

ronya posted:

because it triggers in sequence, at 5 triggers per second (i.e., above the likely 100ms cap), is there a point with three spells? it's not 100% more - you don't get all three off with each trigger. you get one at a time. it may as well be the same one, but cold pen and hypothermia.
100ms = up to 10 triggers/s, and also spells have independent cooldowns like CWDT, though you can't trigger on the same attack, so it'll start slightly slower but then you should get them up to speed after half a second or so.

I think.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 1, 2016

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

TheRat posted:

Says you are allready in a guild? Did you get invited by someone else?

Yep, someone else got me. Thanks!

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

How annoying is Pathfinder to play? Facerolling my flasks constantly doesn't really sound like something I'd be interested in. The BV build looks super strong though, and cheap to get off the ground. I just don't know if I can take it.

That's probably my safe pick, but I'm leaning towards the Whispering Ice build anyway. I haven't played CI since beta, either, so that should be a fun change of pace.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MerrMan posted:

How annoying is Pathfinder to play? Facerolling my flasks constantly doesn't really sound like something I'd be interested in.

Put the flasks you want 100% uptime on on keys 1-4. Press all 4 keys together every 5-10 seconds. After a little while it becomes automated and you dont really notice doing it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

MerrMan posted:

How annoying is Pathfinder to play? Facerolling my flasks constantly doesn't really sound like something I'd be interested in. The BV build looks super strong though, and cheap to get off the ground. I just don't know if I can take it.

That's probably my safe pick, but I'm leaning towards the Whispering Ice build anyway. I haven't played CI since beta, either, so that should be a fun change of pace.
I played a Doomfletch Pathfinder and having 100% flask uptime is remarkably amazing, but if you don't want to constantly mash flask buttons there's little point to playing a Pathfinder at all.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

lurksion posted:

100ms = up to 10 triggers/s, and also spells have independent cooldowns like CWDT, though you can't trigger on the same attack, so it'll start slightly slower but then you should get them up to speed after half a second or so.

I think.

yea. you won't hit the cap. so instead of triggering 1.6 of each spell per second, why not just fire off the most damaging one five times and then give it two supports

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Constant flask uptime is good and you acclimatise quickly. I have been playing with my legacy surgeons on standard and it comes surprisingly easily.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

5th top post on the subreddit

I'm... not sure what you're trying to say here? Yes I'm aware it has a 100ms cool down, that's why I mentioned it in my post.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Could this be the time for...glacial cascade?!

(No)

I do wonder about either a reave or lacerate build that shits out freezing pulses though.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Oh well.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 1, 2016

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

you tried

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

bakka bakka posted:

Anyone have any experience with emberwake? I don't think I've ever seen any real discussion of the item post-release.

It's an interesting concept but the stacked burn effect ultimately ends up working like a crappier and more limited version of poison after all the downsides are thrown in. It's very much an over-time type of deal, which can work pretty well against single targets but is basically the antithesis of what you want for pack clearing.

There are builds that can make it work, but I think you'd almost always end up being better off just doing a more straightforward build.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hauki posted:

I'm... not sure what you're trying to say here? Yes I'm aware it has a 100ms cool down, that's why I mentioned it in my post.

You were saying reddit is crying it's bad.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Where the hell you been?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

panda clue posted:

Where the hell you been?

discord, you irc grandpa

check the OP :c00l:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Are those the ones I gave away?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Could this be the time for...glacial cascade?!

(No)

I do wonder about either a reave or lacerate build that shits out freezing pulses though.

Glacial cascade is good and fun.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

You were saying reddit is crying it's bad.

Right, and they are doing that as well. Even in the very same thread.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hauki posted:

Right, and they are doing that as well. Even in the very same thread.

word, i just skimmed the top posts, no comment digging :v:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
It's certainly different for sure now. I think you can only really get max 3-charge discharges out of it now since its guaranteed to go off now?
i.e.
hit (1 power)
arc trigger (2 power after)
hit (3 power)
discharge (0 power, 3 endurance)

Hmm...is this even be stronger than before now that you can have consistent 3 or 6 charge discharges going off every 1/10 of a second, even at 65% of the prior damage and with less max charges?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 1, 2016

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

I wish that were the case, but it's not good nor fun.

edit: this mjolnir change is really making me consider some sort of arc setup with frenzy as the trigger maybe

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

dis astranagant posted:

I'll say its fun, but its not very good. I wish it was.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
All I want is to have a glacial cascade that does respectable damage like Glace or Haast. I did a GC build in Talisman with a 21/20 gem and all the trimmings and it wasn't as good as freezing pulse.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Hamburger Test posted:

Are those the ones I gave away?

yup

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Could I get an invite to the guild for NoperQ?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

If I chance Skyforth again maybe you'll get another chance after Essence.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Vasudus posted:

All I want is to have a glacial cascade that does respectable damage like Glace or Haast. I did a GC build in Talisman with a 21/20 gem and all the trimmings and it wasn't as good as freezing pulse.

I like the spell too, because it's unusual. Unfortunately that also means that there's nothing available to take advantage of its unique mechanics. Knockback sort of works sometimes to get more hits in but that's about it. Apart from that and aoe I don't think there's anything else even interacts with it in a meaningful way.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
So I've followed but not really played for a while and would like to play in the Atlas with some goons again.

I've followed along with the updates and did play after ascendancy and am only like 55% bad at the game, but I wonder if anyone has any ideas or suggestions about how to make a molten shell character to start the Atlas league. I need the brick shithouseiest monster tank that a fresh character could expect to make with that as the central skill and don't really care much what secondaries I use. I'm sure juggernaut and champion are obvious considerations, but I've seen lots of slick ideas pop up here while I've read along. I don't imagine it would be that hard to make MS cost over 100 mana and then try to get that new unique to make some other spell related silliness happen.

Hopefully Comcast will get their loving poo poo together so I can actually try to play the drat game and hopefully get invited back to the guild as vaporgenie or whatever I end up making after it releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

TheRat posted:

I really recommend grabbing Elemental Overload instead of RT. Then you can take the dex/accuracy nodes instead of the pure dex nodes. Also, you really should use blood magic keystone instead of blood magic gem. The life-cost from gem is pretty loving insane.

Here's the jugger EA I ran in 2.3 https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters (EARodent)

What order would you recommend taking the ascendencies in for this?

e: also MithridatesPontus needs an invite tyvm

• Locked thread