Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Astroman posted:

That's gonna be a huge problem for Discovery, setting it when they did. Star Trek can never resist crossing characters over, and there's a shitload of people who will still be alive from Enterprise or TOS in this era, many of whom should be prominent. Their absence will be more odd.

I'm pretty sure that's a BIG reason they set it when they did. They want to do the Gotham sort of thing where every so often there's some sort of hype about "it's going to be the first appearance of [famous character]!"

My prediction is season 1 will go by relatively free of this, then if they ever make it to season 2 it will be non-stop with "Young James T Kirk!""Young Spock!"

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Finally when it's about to be canceled they'll call in the big guns and get the J-comb up in there but it will be too late but that last season will be great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We'll only make this show be good as a last resort.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I doubt they'd use a headliner like Kirk, Spock, or McCoy, but maybe a Chekov.

Personally I'd rather see guest characters like Kang/Kor/Koloth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I expect they'll use T'pol to do a first-episode 'handoff' like in past.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MikeJF posted:

I expect they'll use T'pol to do a first-episode 'handoff' like in past.

Not with how disgusted she was with the end of Enterprise.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well that was a different production team.

Not to mention she was either a hardcore Trekkie before she started, or became one while on the show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Only if it's the exact same scene where she tells the new show's autist whatever McCoy told Data.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They should have set the show 40-50 years after classic trek so everyone's the right age for cash in cameos.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

tngseason7.png

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, he was in the same episode playing 2 characters once, for the first time in trek. They reaaaaaly wanted a scene where they see each other in passing and exchange a look but they didn't have time/budget.

Didn't Brent Spiner do that about once a season? He even played multiple characters who didn't look perfectly identical in the Soong episode.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Pieces of Peace posted:

Didn't Brent Spiner do that about once a season? He even played multiple characters who didn't look perfectly identical in the Soong episode.

Well, it was the first time they all weren't supposed to look like the same person.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Masaka is waking.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Delsaber posted:

I doubt they'd use a headliner like Kirk, Spock, or McCoy, but maybe a Chekov.

Personally I'd rather see guest characters like Kang/Kor/Koloth.

Wouldn't Checkov be like 15? Most of the TOS crew were in their 20s/early 30s, so they'd all be like cadet age or younger in this show. Scott, McCoy, and Spock were old enough to show up as junior officers, I guess, but I kinda doubt we'll see any of them except in a tiny cameo because they're A) super iconic and B) characters in a (possibly) ongoing movie franchise.

I would sort of like to see that lovable Irish scoundrel Finnegan beating the crap out of some snot-nosed cadet named Jimmy though.

I do expect a few guys to get reappearances, especially if they were in memorable episodes, but there's really only a handful of characters that anyone besides the turbornerds would recognize by name. The Klingon captains, Sarek and T'Pau, Mudd, Daystrom maybe, that crazy Commodore from Doomsday Machine...

Really, there's not a ton to work with because most of the guest stars were either too young, too insignificant, or from planets UESPA the Star Fleet had never visited before.

Even the name "Garth of Izar" is something I only remember because of those Axanar bastards and I've seen that crappy episode two or three times.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Throw Quinto some money to turn up as young Spock?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Please no. No more Quinto Spock.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Space is a big place. There's no reason for any old characters to show up, and it would really detract from the show to rely on lazy cameos.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

marktheando posted:

Space is a big place. There's no reason for any old characters to show up, and it would really detract from the show to rely on lazy cameos.

Everything I've seen so far on Discovery suggests they want it to be its own thing, driven by its own characters. I don't know why they'd ruin that with gratuitous cameos, particularly goddamn Enterprise characters.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Talking about characters ages, how old is Dukat? He comes across as someone in middle age, maybe in his 50s, but then he was in charge of the Bajoran Occupation when Kira was like 5 years old. I doubt the Cardassians would give some guy in his 20s or 30s to run their occupation of a planet.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

How long do Cardassians live? If they're closer to Vulcan life spans, then the age stuff works fine.

He might have been 45 then and he's 75 now but 75 is "middle aged" for Cardassians.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Best guest characters: Brunt, Damar, Weyoun, Q, Sloan, Martok. A lot of DS9 ones are hard to say because that show has such a large extended cast.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Best guest characters: Brunt, Damar, Weyoun, Q, Sloan, Martok. A lot of DS9 ones are hard to say because that show has such a large extended cast.

Swap Brunt for Barclay and I'm on board.

Worst? Might be Alexander Rozhenko.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Morn.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Talks too much.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gowron's eyes. Not Gowron. Just his eyes.

:gowron:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Fister Roboto posted:

I think I'd watch an entire show based on The Lower Decks.

The West Wing was supposed to be a show about the Communications Department of the White House, with Rob Lowe as the main character. However after a couple seasons it drifted to Martin Sheen and the Presidency. I would also watch Star Trek: Lower Decks, but it would be hard for average viewers to not know what was happening on the bridge.

*entire ship shakes*
"What happened?"
"I'm not sure, I hope the Chief Engineer tells us at our 2130 gamma shift engineering staff meeting. Might be a war with a new race. Say, have you seen a crate of self-sealing stem bolts in this cargo bay? Astrometrics is overhauling the lateral sensor array."
*all non-trekkie viewers fall asleep*

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Trekkie viewers complain about the inaccuracy of that model of stem bolt being used on this model of starship

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Phimosissy posted:

Trekkie viewers complain about the inaccuracy of that model of stem bolt being used on this model of starship

Was it self-sealing?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I wonder how much of the first few seasons of DS9 was O'Brien trying to make sense of Cardassian wiring diagrams and tech manuals.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does the universal translator work on text?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I feel like O'Brien could understand their diagrams and blueprints just fine, but spent most of his time trying to disable various booby traps and other insane Cardassian :tinfoil: poo poo.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

The West Wing was supposed to be a show about the Communications Department of the White House, with Rob Lowe as the main character. However after a couple seasons it drifted to Martin Sheen and the Presidency. I would also watch Star Trek: Lower Decks, but it would be hard for average viewers to not know what was happening on the bridge.

*entire ship shakes*
"What happened?"
"I'm not sure, I hope the Chief Engineer tells us at our 2130 gamma shift engineering staff meeting. Might be a war with a new race. Say, have you seen a crate of self-sealing stem bolts in this cargo bay? Astrometrics is overhauling the lateral sensor array."

I bet within a few episodes it's a bridge show and the Lt. Commander character is, like, unexpectedly in command or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Depends on if they finish all the episodes before they start airing. Though I guarantee season 2 will be a captain show because of loud mouthed idiots.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cojawfee posted:

Depends on if they finish all the episodes before they start airing. Though I guarantee season 2 will be a captain show because of loud mouthed idiots.

Let's wait and see if CBS All Access is even around for a season two.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Let's hope not, because then it may be on Netflix for everyone.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I wonder how much of the first few seasons of DS9 was O'Brien trying to make sense of Cardassian wiring diagrams and tech manuals.

Rewatching bits of DS9 makes me wonder why they didn't (in and out of universe) pull out the Cardassian panels and replace them with Federation ones somewhere up or down the road. The whole brown-and-red-and-green color scheme on everything isn't very pleasing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For real, that would be like taking over a Russian ship and not painting over all the Cyrillic.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, there should have been increasing amounts of FedTech metastasizing through the station over the years. More efficient systems, backups, replacement screens, absolutely. A chimera of styles.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not unlike

Borg assimilation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Fister Roboto posted:

tngseason7.png

God.

Geordi's mom, Data's mom, Worf's human brother, Beverly's dead grandma... wow, what a season. Not even Lower Decks can make up for the rest of that shitshow.