Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

WhiteHowler posted:

PIC: I want to say the cool vineyard gunfight scene, but in reality it's the two hundred copy-and-pasted CGI Starfleet ships in the finale.

I never got this complaint. What’s so odd about Starfleet using large numbers of the same ship class? I didn’t even notice it while watching, though I also don’t really care too much about the ships themselves in Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tom Tucker posted:

TNG: Picard on the bridge doing diplomacy, I think from the one where he finds a loophole from the contract-abiding aliens on arbitration.

Casually walking up and examining the dust on the bridge plaque while the sheliac are desperately hailing him is a pro watch.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

LDS: That dog turning into a cube and rolling away.

I haven't watched Prodigy or any of the Short Treks yet.

:tipshat:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

chglcu posted:

I never got this complaint. What’s so odd about Starfleet using large numbers of the same ship class? I didn’t even notice it while watching, though I also don’t really care too much about the ships themselves in Star Trek.

It feels less alive and organic than the fleet scenes from other series -- the Federation task force getting ready to take on the Borg (or the aftermath at Wolf 359), or pretty much any of the Dominion War fleet shots.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah, comparing it to this it looks way lamer. Also not only is it all one ship, it's hundreds of them, the number of ships in those shots is absolutely ludicrous. For Sacrifice of Angels it's basically every ship available.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For me it's not stuff from specific episodes, just literal images:

TOS:

TNG:

DS9:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

WhiteHowler posted:

TOS: Klingon saying "It should be hauled away AS garbage".

I get why Scotty had to throw hands, there's no verbal recovery from a burn that good.

Anyway here's mine! Most of which have been mentioned already in the thread, which I guess proves how iconic this stuff is.

TOS: Kirk inundated with tribbles.
TOS Movies: The cool blue/red warp effect trailing behind the ship.
TNG: The Enterprise spinning around and exploding after being clipped by Captain Crane's ship.
TNG Movies: Data saying, "Oh poo poo!"
DS9: Quark dispiritedly clinking together his bars of worthless gold.
VOY: The Caretaker playing on his banjo.

Never watched ENT. Looking at what stuck in my mind from Voyager may indicate why I stopped caring about the franchise.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

V-Men posted:

i'm slowly making my way through Delta Flyers and I can't wait for Garret to get to this episode.

I don’t remember an episode with Harry and Tom where this happens - isn’t the scene in question with Harry and B’Elanna in ‘Deadlock’, which Delta Flyers did years ago (and made Garrett realize he’d been doing an anecdote about it wrong for almost 25 years)?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah, ok since this was the classic trek thread I didn't bother with LDS or DIS but since others threw it in, along with movies, I will too:

TOS movies: Boot search from Undiscovered Country for some reason. That or the floating pink klingon blood.
TNG movies: A dune buggy jumping. I don't remember if the dune buggies actually did a jump, but it's almost inconceivable to me that a movie would have a dune buggy and NOT jump it, so I'll assume that it's in my memory for a reason. I literally don't remember any plot from any TNG movie so it's just scenes from here and there.
LDS: "I can hear your nasty boy thoughts! Jamaharon! This boy wants jamaharon!"
DIS: I dunno, it's just an image of that dumb super glossy mood-lit bridge which I hate.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Somehow every time I think of LDS, I think of USS Solvang getting its poo poo ripped apart and how great a shot that was

Also I Leo-point at the screen any time there's a ship named after a place I've been to

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CPColin posted:

Somehow every time I think of LDS, I think of USS Solvang getting its poo poo ripped apart and how great a shot that was

I keep thinking about that every time I re-watch the series. It's a beautifully somber and quietly impactful shot for a comedy cartoon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

some kinda jackal posted:

Oh yeah, ok since this was the classic trek thread I didn't bother with LDS or DIS but since others threw it in, along with movies, I will too:

TOS movies: Boot search from Undiscovered Country for some reason. That or the floating pink klingon blood.
TNG movies: A dune buggy jumping. I don't remember if the dune buggies actually did a jump, but it's almost inconceivable to me that a movie would have a dune buggy and NOT jump it, so I'll assume that it's in my memory for a reason. I literally don't remember any plot from any TNG movie so it's just scenes from here and there.
LDS: "I can hear your nasty boy thoughts! Jamaharon! This boy wants jamaharon!"
DIS: I dunno, it's just an image of that dumb super glossy mood-lit bridge which I hate.
Yes there is a dune buggy jump into a shuttle during that one scene in Nemesis

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TOS: Kirk doing the butt-drop on the fake Andorian in Journey to Babel No Kill I
TOS Movie: Though VI is my favorite, it's got to be KHAANNNN!!!!!
TNG: Locutus turning toward the view screen, his laser refracting into the camera
TNG Movie: imma gonna cheat here and say Zephram Cochrane blowing away a Vulcan with a shotgun...OK, fine, if I have to pick a scene actually from a movie not in the mirror universe, it's the Borg Queen blowing on Data's new organic skin, super-creepy
DS9: Sisko getting progressively more drunk in his never-heard confession OR that one guy on AR-558 who strung Ketrecel White vials around his neck
VOYAGER: I guess Voyager flying through undisturbed and undamaged right after the Krenim time ship has been destroyed
ENT: Mirror Mayweather kicking that dude in the ear/using the grav plate to crush the Gorn. I loved the mirror universe 2-parter, especially as it wasn't just "let's go over there and mess things up!"
DISCO: Burnham swallowing Mudd's mini-disintegration bomb
PIC: I really liked the scene where the Romulan and Data's daughter were sliding carefree down a corridor in the Borg ship. I thought it was a very cute and humanizing scene, really sold him as a spy
LDS and Prodigy: Haven't seen them yet; need to re-up my Paramount sub when PIC2 is done so I can enjoy them and be disappointed by Picard
Orville: ISAAC's face turn, of course

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lasting images for me:

TOS: Kirk's goodbye messages to Spock and McCoy in The Tholian Web
TAS: KIRK IS A JERK
TOS Movies: What does God need with a starship?
TNG: The transition from the normal bridge to the AU bridge in Yesterday's Enterprise
DS9: Odo degenerating from the virus
VOY: You became sexually aroused in my body!
ENT: Alien Space Nazis

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

I keep thinking about that every time I re-watch the series. It's a beautifully somber and quietly impactful shot for a comedy cartoon.

Going to warp with something holding on to the nacelle just seemed like an amazingly stupid idea to me.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

chglcu posted:

Going to warp with something holding on to the nacelle just seemed like an amazingly stupid idea to me.

I mean I could see it go either way, after all what they do is form a bubble of normal space around the ship, going to warp is just activating that bubble, so it was possible that whatever was holding on would've been sheered off. I don't think we've ever see anything similar to judge it off.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
After not watching any Trek for 10+ years, I recently got the urge to binge multiple series, ones I've seen pieces but don't remember much of like TNG and Voyager and ones I haven't seen, which are basically the rest. I'm starting with TNG and intend to watch all of it. I might give the JJ Abrams movies a pass though.

I'm skipping TOS, but I might watch it later if I feel like it.

I finished Season 1 of TNG already and I'm well into Season 2. I understand from conversations that Season 1 is considered the worst season, but I liked a lot of it nonetheless, with only one episode even being as bad as a bad Doctor Who episode (Code of Honor). I do think that even the mediocre ones are saved by the excellent cast.

I'm even surprised that I kinda grew to like Wesley, given how much people seem to hate him. He has been obnoxious at times (The Naked Now especially) but he does seem to have growth as a character.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

If you want to check out the Kelvin movies, 09 is pretty much just breezy space explosions for 90 minutes with Trek branding. It's fun for what it is. Beyond is at least actual Star Trek, I quite like it and feel it can hang with the big three TOS movies. People have also said it can feel more like a two parter of a series that never existed than a movie, and to me that's a positive. :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Emberfox posted:

After not watching any Trek for 10+ years, I recently got the urge to binge multiple series, ones I've seen pieces but don't remember much of like TNG and Voyager and ones I haven't seen, which are basically the rest. I'm starting with TNG and intend to watch all of it. I might give the JJ Abrams movies a pass though.

I'm skipping TOS, but I might watch it later if I feel like it.

I finished Season 1 of TNG already and I'm well into Season 2. I understand from conversations that Season 1 is considered the worst season, but I liked a lot of it nonetheless, with only one episode even being as bad as a bad Doctor Who episode (Code of Honor). I do think that even the mediocre ones are saved by the excellent cast.

I'm even surprised that I kinda grew to like Wesley, given how much people seem to hate him. He has been obnoxious at times (The Naked Now especially) but he does seem to have growth as a character.
TOS is the one show I would recommend watching a 'best of' of the 25 or so good episodes

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Watch everything, cowards. Your obligations in life are trivial and transitory; only the brand persists

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cowardly p'taQ use watchlists

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Watchlists are for cops anyway

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Eimi posted:

I mean I could see it go either way, after all what they do is form a bubble of normal space around the ship, going to warp is just activating that bubble, so it was possible that whatever was holding on would've been sheered off. I don't think we've ever see anything similar to judge it off.

Could have sworn that in the opening credits, the Cerritos was at warp when the monster was sucking on the nacelle. But I looked up the shot, and I guess they're just flying through a nebula or something.

https://i.imgur.com/QRZqZMm.mp4

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Eimi posted:

beaten like a red-headed step clone.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I don't really want to use a watch list. I want to see it all. Plus, even mediocre episodes have good character moments sometimes, as Season 1 of TNG taught me.

More thoughts, now that I'm at an actual computer:

- Tasha Yar deserved a better sendoff than Skin of Evil, which is among my least favorite episodes. I liked her as a character.

- Star Trek really does like its inscrutable godlike super beings that criticize humanity, rightly or wrongly.

- The outfit Riker got to wear for part of Angel One was excellent, and made up for an episode I didn't really like all that much. And given Jonathan Frakes' reaction to it in the episode, it seems he was amused as well.

- Deanna Troi really has some...weird parts and episodes for her. I understand that this was actually an issue many people had with TNG.

- Geordi is still my favorite character because Levar Burton is just lovely in anything he does.

- I do not like Dr. Pulaski so far for how she treats Data. It uncomfortably reminds me of how some people treat those with mental disabilities and it's kinda gross especially from a medical professional.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I skipped a bunch of episodes the first time I watched DS9 because I really wanted to get to the Dominion war arc and I loved the show but when I finished it I really regretted skipping all those episodes. The epic story arc stuff is great but the heart of the series is really the relationships and character development.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TOS is actually best watched at random. You don't really miss any plot things and it's a more even distribution of quality/ideas.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hell watch TOS backwards and the quality generally goes up

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
TOS:

TNG:

DS9:

VOY: I can just barely recall the first episode, for some reason.

ENT:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zaroff posted:

I don’t remember an episode with Harry and Tom where this happens - isn’t the scene in question with Harry and B’Elanna in ‘Deadlock’, which Delta Flyers did years ago (and made Garrett realize he’d been doing an anecdote about it wrong for almost 25 years)?

I tried to be very clear about my memory likely being incorrect. I conflated the scene from "Deadlock" with memories of Harry and Tom being friends.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

chglcu posted:

My main complaint was that it was weird to follow up a scene where Picard tricks the Romulans with a fleet of identical, holographic ships with a scene where a real fleet of identical ships show up.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I bet that magic wand would come in real handy right now against the First Husband and his goons.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

8one6 posted:

They clearly have enough subs to keep Paramount+ going. There are plenty of people who want to to watch Star Trek or [checks P+] reruns of the Andy Grifith show and half of the episodes of Wings.

how much could it cost to run a streaming service? ten dollars?

thotsky posted:

TOS:

TNG:

DS9:

VOY: I can just barely recall the first episode, for some reason.

ENT:

This was closer to my answers to the question but I see you had a more vulcan specific set of babesball cards. In that light, I am most confused by your sexy Tuvok erasure.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 15, 2022

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

chglcu posted:

It probably helps to understand that many fans like the ships of Star Trek, and think they're neat, and like seeing new ones, and interesting shots of the classics they love.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

When someone mentions TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY to you out of the blue -- what is the subconscious image or episode that immediately pops into your head?

Rescue... 911!
Dune Pug
SOFT. WARE. FLYING.... CARS!
President Obama

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

So this kind of came up while I was talking to my friends and it's a cool little thought experiment.

When someone mentions TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY to you out of the blue -- what is the subconscious image or episode that immediately pops into your head?

TOS: I think I more think of the color pallet than anything. A mix of the bright reds and purples and greens that would make up the sets and costumes, and the sort of diffuse overlay they'd have on the camera to hide flaws

TNG: sound of the Enterprise...churning? across the stars at warp. That sound of like an ocean liner cutting through empty space.

DS9: This is super tough...but I think probably the slightly more somber or lonely version of the theme song as the camera swoops across the station. Or maybe from the later seasons, the Defiant undocking and pushing out past the outer ring and past the camera

VOY: Janeway looking over at Tuvok during a red alert, the camera shaking and maybe some debris flying. We get it Janeway, you trust Tuvok more than anyone else!!

ENT: Tucker and T'Pol holding each other in the last (real) episode

DISCO: in the premier, there's a moment when Burnham is in the brig during the battle, and an ensign wanders in suffering a concussion, and he's prompted sucked out in to space and dies after saying "what's going on, we're explorers?"

Picard: the painful images Paul Atrides felt when he put his hand in the agony box

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

chglcu posted:

On top of the already mentioned people being used to fleet shots with a variety of designs thing, the way the scene was done was the fault of time crunch rather than deliberate decision - there were [i]meant/i] to be 3-4 different ship types, running out of time turned that into one ship with some getting different nacelles to (not very successfully) make them look different, and the one base ship was visibly under detailed compared to normal Star Trek ship models.

It just didn't look good! Also it being a 150v100 confrontation didn't really land dramatically, it could have been 15v10 and been just as effective, but that probably would have exposed the models lack of detail more than the big blob did.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

TOS: The bridge. Kirk writes something on a PADD and hands it to a yeoman.
TNG: The observation lounge, where Geordi is briefing the senior staff on a problem.
DS9: Quark's. Bashir and someone else sit at the bar, talking. Quark butts in.
VOY: Janeway's ready room. Janeway sits on her couch, reading. The doorbell chimes.
ENT: ...I cannot remember a single image from Enterprise.
DIS: The entire spore jump sequence, starting from Black Alert and through the end of the jump.
PIC: I think of both Picard's study and the bridge of the La Sirena.
LD: The bunks. Everyone's having a lively conversation. A guy wearing nothing but a towel walks by.
PRO: The engine room. (It's a really good engine room.)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Seemlar posted:

On top of the already mentioned people being used to fleet shots with a variety of designs thing, the way the scene was done was the fault of time crunch rather than deliberate decision - there were [i]meant/i] to be 3-4 different ship types, running out of time turned that into one ship with some getting different nacelles to (not very successfully) make them look different, and the one base ship was visibly under detailed compared to normal Star Trek ship models.

It just didn't look good! Also it being a 150v100 confrontation didn't really land dramatically, it could have been 15v10 and been just as effective, but that probably would have exposed the models lack of detail more than the big blob did.

It could have been 1 on 1, even.

We wrote ourselves in to a corner is, in fact, a big dummy excuse. Which is why I've never used it! I'm the opposite of a big dummy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Given that it was a whole bunch of little warbirds (or at least that's what they were designed to look like), it would've been even more effective if it had been five huge Starfleet ships that just tower over the fleet of little Romulan ships.