Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Aphrodite posted:

The crowd still pops for someone who lifts Big Show even though it's been done so many times.
I'm still salty about Show taking a Perfect Plex in 2001 for only a two-count... on Sunday Night Heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Minidust posted:

I'm still salty about Show taking a Perfect Plex in 2001 for only a two-count... on Sunday Night Heat

Hennig shouldve won the world title in his return run.

i wasnt watching then and i dont know if it would've made sense but it shouldve happened

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He should have at least won that Rumble where he got to the final four and everyone was going nuts

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The completely broken down guy who had been a shell of his former sell for 5 years should definitely have won the Royal Rumble.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

The completely broken down guy who had been a shell of his former sell for 5 years should definitely have won the Royal Rumble.

Worked in 1989.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

MassRafTer posted:

That describes at least half of the Rumble Winners of the past decade

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Wrestlers breaking the fourth wall/kayfabe against creative's (Vince's) wishes during a taping, or better yet, live on tv is the loving best

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dick Bastardly posted:

Wrestlers breaking the fourth wall/kayfabe against creative's (Vince's) wishes during a taping, or better yet, live on tv is the loving best

the image is from a satire site

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shiki Dan posted:

Yes WWE is terribly booked, I know.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

flatluigi posted:

well poo poo

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

MassRafTer posted:

Correct

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

flatluigi posted:

I mean they did have Curtis Axel point at it when he insisted he was still in the Rumble that one year

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shiki Dan posted:

And the current one has a broken back taking him off house shows for 3 months.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

Who was the best football player (in terms of actual football ability) to ever really become a star in wrestling?

I think you'd have to give it to McMichael, though that's cutting it close for a "star." But Ernie Ladd also won an AFL championship with the Chargers.

sometimes the obvious answer is the right one, let's not forget The Rock played at Miami during the real The U years, I think he even was back-up for Warren Sapp.

The hard part with the question is "famous pro wrestler" requires you to be a physically bigger dude than a lot of the "star football player" positions are, since offensive/defensive linemen much more rarely become household names. and the ones that do make the pros and get famous don't really have a need to come to wrestling -- look at all the guys who came out of small Texas colleges (Funks, Stone Cold, DiBiasi, Stan Hansen, Bruiser Brody).

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

leo nomellini was extremely good and probably the best player turned wrestler of all time but i don't know if he counts as a star

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

There's a dude in both the football and WON Hall of fames but I don't remember his name

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

leo nomellini was extremely good and probably the best player turned wrestler of all time but i don't know if he counts as a star

He was a huge star in San Francisco.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yeah but that's cheating.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

yeah but that's cheating.

In the territories you were only allowed to be a star in one city if you left they arrested you.

Obviously he was a huge football star there but he was good enough that Lou Thesz seemed to like working with him. He was also pretty big in the AWA but not nearly as big as he was in SF.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I am sorry

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

I am sorry

I forgive you big dog.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Suplex Liberace posted:

There's a dude in both the football and WON Hall of fames but I don't remember his name

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Bronko Nagurski is both a Pro Football and Wrestling Observer Hall of Famer.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Bless you

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
in kayfabe, why does winning the King of the Ring make people turn into psychopaths obsessed with royalty

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Low Desert Punk posted:

in kayfabe, why does winning the King of the Ring make people turn into psychopaths obsessed with royalty

because wrestling is inherently about hierarchies so it only makes sense that it attracts monarchists.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

All wrestlers are inherently narcissists who resolve their problems through brutal violence all for the right to wear gaudy jewelry.

So put a crown on one of them and you open the floodgates.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Brock never got a "King" gimmick.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

harperdc posted:

sometimes the obvious answer is the right one, let's not forget The Rock played at Miami during the real The U years, I think he even was back-up for Warren Sapp.

The hard part with the question is "famous pro wrestler" requires you to be a physically bigger dude than a lot of the "star football player" positions are, since offensive/defensive linemen much more rarely become household names. and the ones that do make the pros and get famous don't really have a need to come to wrestling -- look at all the guys who came out of small Texas colleges (Funks, Stone Cold, DiBiasi, Stan Hansen, Bruiser Brody).

The problem with the Rock is that he peaked as an NCAA backup/CFL practice squader. Compared to other football players he was pretty bad. He’d be the obvious answer as who was he best wrestler that also played high level football but not the other way around.

Ron Simmons is probably in the running amongst modern guys. Not much of a pro career, but he was a legit great in college and (Collegiate Football HOF, All-American, number retired by a real football school) and definitely clears the bar for wrestling star if you don’t count Mongo or LT.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ron Simmons is definitely the answer (he even got Heisman votes, yikes) but

pseudodragon posted:

The problem with the Rock is that he peaked as an NCAA backup/CFL practice squader.

A backup on early ‘90s Miami is still pretty legit. And that team won a national championship as well. Not as good as the 2001 team, but nobody is.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Whew, cheated on my diet today and every time I do I'm reminded of this promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8FXrGL0gzs

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shiki Dan posted:

Whew, cheated on my diet today and every time I do I'm reminded of this promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8FXrGL0gzs
same but I always think of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqo4OZ0Pqs

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
What's some examples of matches that just seem bizarre or out of place for the time?
Like generation clash or maybe even before finding fame?
Like this weird example of DB vs Kamala
https://youtu.be/RpcZoKhTwCk
Or this Kane vs Taker match
https://youtu.be/dK1vscn5yKw

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Raven vs Terry Gordy comes to mind

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dory Funk vs. RVD at the Terry Funk retirement show

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MisterGBH posted:

What's some examples of matches that just seem bizarre or out of place for the time?
Like generation clash or maybe even before finding fame?
Like this weird example of DB vs Kamala
https://youtu.be/RpcZoKhTwCk
Or this Kane vs Taker match
https://youtu.be/dK1vscn5yKw

All of those Dynamite Kid vs Tiger Mask matches look like a transmission from the future compared to everything else on those New Japan cards

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kendo Kashin vs RVD vs Necro Butcher from some IGF show.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So, it seems like the whole "This should just be a one on one match but we're shoving Charlotte in" Becky Lynch/Ronda Rousy thing might be tied to a persistent rumor that Ronda, like Dean's, gonna leave after Wrestlemania. Any idea why? Considering all the hype it seemed like she'd be around for a given definition of 'long term'...has she fallen victim to the same issues that have killed a laundry list of star's passion for the business, like Dean's supposedly is/was? Or something else? Or is it just a rumor?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, it seems like the whole "This should just be a one on one match but we're shoving Charlotte in" Becky Lynch/Ronda Rousy thing might be tied to a persistent rumor that Ronda, like Dean's, gonna leave after Wrestlemania. Any idea why? Considering all the hype it seemed like she'd be around for a given definition of 'long term'...has she fallen victim to the same issues that have killed a laundry list of star's passion for the business, like Dean's supposedly is/was? Or something else? Or is it just a rumor?

I suspect it might be as simple as "I'm loving tired". He's a 15 year vet who worked some awfully grimy, nasty matches in CZW and he worked a WWE schedule for 7 years.

Apparently a staph infection almost killed him. Maybe he re-evaluated his life after that.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 12, 2019

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Cornwind Evil posted:

It's a rumour, she's spoken about wanting a family. But like, Dean's stopped being a rumour and started being fact. I'd say she's going to stick around based on feelings. Who knows though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cornwind Evil posted:

Ronda is going to be part time after WrestleMania. She wants a family and gets sick and bails on things pretty quick too. The company has basically confirmed she won't be full time when they were asked for comment and only said she was under contract another two years.