Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I read that NVidia cancelled the Watchdogs promotion because of overwhelming demand versus limited supply of Watchdogs copies/licenses. Great.

Considering they only seem to have got between a thousand to under a few hundred cards to any country that isn't America did they buy 5000 licenses and say good enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anybody know some good DIY video card tutorials on youtube? Might just start gluing on some transistors and make my own.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

VorpalFish posted:

Scan says they got a shipment yesterday.

Ocuk has been getting shipments according to their website as well, so zero count is obviously hyperbole.

The amount of time you spend in line waiting doesn't tell you anything about change in demand vs change in supply; just that demand exceeds supply.

And you didn't answer my question. Do you honestly believe this is not the most in demand flagship launch we have ever seen?

Here's last week vs this week

It's supposed to be lower due to golden week, next week will be more interesting. There have definitely been some cancellations as my queue position has not shifted but Asus has gone down 16.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 16, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

exquisite tea posted:

Anybody know some good DIY video card tutorials on youtube? Might just start gluing on some transistors and make my own.

I got you fam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7rce6IQDWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqY3FMuMuRo

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Wonder what the best online store to click first on the 3070 launch day will be. Amazon, Best Buy, Newegg or :iiam: ?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Some ASUS TUF 3080s hit Amazon for $699 at about 6:30 am today (eastern), I kept adding them to my cart and they kept not being there when I went to check out, I did that for about 2 minutes then they went OOS.

So given that my experience across all the platforms has been about the same, no clue about the 3070 launch. Which is a bummer because I actually want a 3070 at this point, and I'll only have about a week to snag one.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is the review embargo same day as launch for the 3070? At this point I might just go for the cheaper card, it'll still be an upgrade over my 1080.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
All info we have on this points to yes.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

That's a trend I loving hate. Allow the reviews to go up at least a couple days ahead of time, assholes.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

That's a trend I loving hate. Allow the reviews to go up at least a couple days ahead of time, assholes.

Order, read reviews, cancel if you don't like it after reading. That is what I am doing from now on.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
A bunch of 3080 models STILL haven't really been reviewed.

Like I haven't seen a Ventus or XC3 review.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

sean10mm posted:

A bunch of 3080 models STILL haven't really been reviewed.

Like I haven't seen a Ventus or XC3 review.

I've also not seen any Ventus cards for sale. At all.

There were a few videos that had XC3 cards, not proper reviews though. I think Jay had one?

E: and an OC video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVOzICOy3dI
Again not a proper review really.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 16, 2020

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Quite a few Ventus cards have been delivered in Europe. MSI and Gigabyte have been the best AIBs for supply so far here.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Of only getting a 3080 would be as simple as getting in line for a new iPhone...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Animal posted:

Of only getting a 3080 would be as simple as getting in line for a new iPhone...

If Nvidia was able to "simply buy TSMC's entire production capacity" like apple has for the new iPhone, it probably would be simple. Unfortunately, Nvidia ain't apple.

(Of course that doesn't exclude US retailers from their garbage lack of decent pre-order queues that the rest of the world has seemed to master, but yeah.)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

EVGA told GamersNexus that “demand far outweighs supply at this moment,” and further stated that, “in 15 years at EVGA, this product has the highest demand out of any of them that we’ve seen, but it doesn’t have the lowest supply out of them.”

Dunno how many people are going to have to say this before people start believing it. I guess it’s just babby’s first GPU launch for a lot of people.

ah, a random corporation told a random youtuber something, it 100% must be true then, and totally not damage control

Ihmemies posted:

And usenet is still probably the most useful source of illegal material. P2P software like irc dcc's, emule, napster, dc, torrents etc. came and went, usenet is still going strong, probably stronger than ever. :iiam:

Yes, I wish I had an ampere graphics card so I had actually something to do and talk about instead of talking crap in the GPU thread.

torrents seem fine to me? we're currently (for like, the last 10 years) at the point where downloading content is as easy as typing <title>+torrent into google lol

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 16, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, this seems the setup for the inevitable 3060 and 3050.

Or for the mobile parts. I know they haven't done an M-part in a bit, but they might roll them out again given that trying to smash a 320W part into a laptop is simply a non-starter. Max-Q can only do so much.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Truga posted:

ah, a random corporation told a random youtuber something, it 100% must be true then, and totally not damage control

The Switch, a three and a half year old product built on extremely mature processes, has been largely unavailable for several months this year. Many other entertainment products have suffered similar issues. Demand for entertainment is incredibly high. The movie and TV industries are largely shut down and new content has been coming at a trickle, and rather than going out and falling behind on content over the summer people have caught up and run out of poo poo to do.

I'm not saying that they're definitely telling the truth, but it's the more likely possibility. This is the first GPU that seems to be a screaming value in years, right before what is expected to be the biggest game release in years, during a global disturbance where people are consuming digital entertainment at an unprecedented rate. Is it really hard to believe that the problem is more demand than supply?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

At this point, I feel like waiting until February or March of 2021 to get a 3080. I am in no rush, but my girlfriend just got a high refresh 1080p monitor I wanted to give her the 1080ti I am using to drive it. I can't compete with bots, scalpers and Discords so I am going to wait for the hype to die down before I even attempt to get one. It's just sad in general.

I am just hoping that AMD has something worthwhile but the last few launches have been limp with some factor affecting it like overhyped performance or driver issues.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

K8.0 posted:

The Switch, a three and a half year old product built on extremely mature processes, has been largely unavailable for several months this year. Many other entertainment products have suffered similar issues. Demand for entertainment is incredibly high. The movie and TV industries are largely shut down and new content has been coming at a trickle, and rather than going out and falling behind on content over the summer people have caught up and run out of poo poo to do.

I'm not saying that they're definitely telling the truth, but it's the more likely possibility. This is the first GPU that seems to be a screaming value in years, right before what is expected to be the biggest game release in years, during a global disturbance where people are consuming digital entertainment at an unprecedented rate. Is it really hard to believe that the problem is more demand than supply?

Yeah I started trying to buy a Switch in March. I didn't go to great lengths or anything, but I checked Amazon, Best Buy, Target, WalMart etc. every 2-3 days. It wasn't until earlier this month I was finally able to find one for sale.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I am just hoping that AMD has something worthwhile but the last few launches have been limp with some factor affecting it like overhyped performance or driver issues.

They might not be able to knock out the 3080 in pure performance, but that they could be getting somewhere even vaguely close should mean that they're a viable option (prices nonwithstanding) for people who aren't interested in RTX for whatever reason.

If nothing else, it should be a hell of a lot more competitive than the 5700 XT was.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah I started trying to buy a Switch in March. I didn't go to great lengths or anything, but I checked Amazon, Best Buy, Target, WalMart etc. every 2-3 days. It wasn't until earlier this month I was finally able to find one for sale.

same but I gave up and at this point I think I'm going to wait for a new refresh with DLSS since that should be a huge leap in performance/quality.

PS5 availability is also speculated to be a shitshow, like I am nominally interested in getting one but not interested enough to fight scalpers with bots for it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

same but I gave up and at this point I think I'm going to wait for a new refresh with DLSS since that should be a huge leap in performance/quality.

PS5 availability is also speculated to be a shitshow, like I am nominally interested in getting one but not interested enough to fight scalpers with bots for it.

Are you talking a Switch still? Amazon has the AC version in stock right now.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Truga posted:

Yes you're right a corporation directly involved in the production of the product making a statement is definitely less reliable than all the evidence to the contrary such as

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I loaded DS on my PS4 just to see the difference my 3080 makes. Between that and Nintendo’s awful online infrastructure my consoles are gonna be getting dusty.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

I loaded DS on my PS4 just to see the difference my 3080 makes. Between that and Nintendo’s awful online infrastructure my consoles are gonna be getting dusty.

I always go high end PC + Nintendo console. Then later in its life I get a late generation model Playstation to play the exclusives for cheap. I may get a PS5 within its first two years if they put out good exclusives at 60FPS.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Animal posted:

I always go high end PC + Nintendo console. Then later in its life I get a late generation model Playstation to play the exclusives for cheap. I may get a PS5 within its first two years if they put out good exclusives at 60FPS.

This has been my winning plan, as well. Especially since with my PS4 Pro, I can likely still get a decent experience on most of the PS-exclusives I'll actually end up bothering with (JRPGs and such) until the PS5 Pro comes out, or at least the PS5 Slim.

e; I also finally hooked up my PS Vita (lol) to my PS4 the other day so I could play DQ11 while my girl monopolized the TV for whatever Switch game she wanted to play this week. Remote Play is surprisingly decent, though the Vita's crap wifi capabilities do show.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 16, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

VorpalFish posted:

Ihmemies posted:

Order, read reviews, cancel if you don't like it after reading. That is what I am doing from now on.

That's exactly why they like the embargos.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So ekwb announced they will have water blocks for the evga XC3 and FTW 3080/3090 cards, which leaves me torn between them since I'd be going for a full cover 3080 to replace my existing 1080 on a full cover.

Will the higher power limits/boost clock on the FTW actually matter under water? I checked a couple disassembly videos of the FTW and the XC3, the XC3 even with a back plate was a hell of a lot easier to disassemble, FTW looks like kind of a pain in the rear end really. Also the XC3 Black might even completely skip the giant LED on the back of the PCB which would be a pretty significant bonus for my setup (even if I would just leave it unplugged if I got the FTW). Except as far as I can search nobody on the entire internet has posted a picture of the back of a XC3 Black card so I can't actually tell if it omits the LED or not.

By the time I track down all the info for this and availability clears up, it might be close to December when the 20 GB cards are rumored to show up... What a pain in the rear end.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

Will the higher power limits/boost clock on the FTW actually matter under water?

Unknown, but I have my doubts. The scaling efficiency of these cards above stock seems really, really bad. Maybe slamming 450W through a card might get you 3-4% more performance than letting it self-cap at ~375W like normal.

The FTW seems to mostly be selling you on the better cooler. If you're just going to rip that off, it doesn't seem like it'd be worth the extra cost, assuming you can find either of them at MSRP.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Lockback posted:

That's exactly why they like the embargos.

Do embargos work when 90% of your customers won't receive their order for 2 months? :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's more of a blockade at this point.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Canada computers got the Strix. I can pick mine up now!!!!!’

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Kraftwerk posted:

Canada computers got the Strix. I can pick mine up now!!!!!’

Grats. Must be a huge weight off your shoulders given you essentially paid in full.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

MikeC posted:

Grats. Must be a huge weight off your shoulders given you essentially paid in full.

Not yet. I’m outta town so I can only get it Sunday. Unless I decide to skip work and rush back to my store which is more than 120km away from me right now. They told me they’d hold onto it till I grab it Sunday so I hope nothing bad happens between now and then. But holy poo poo I’m almost there guys.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Kraftwerk posted:

Not yet. I’m outta town so I can only get it Sunday. Unless I decide to skip work and rush back to my store which is more than 120km away from me right now. They told me they’d hold onto it till I grab it Sunday so I hope nothing bad happens between now and then. But holy poo poo I’m almost there guys.

Your restraint is an inspiration to us all.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

Your restraint is an inspiration to us all.

Here's hoping he doesn't come back to an empty box and a bunch of minimum wage store clerks insisting no one knows what happened.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
This may seem like a dumb question so sorry about that.

Would the 3070 be expected to "run cooler" than say a 1080ti under the same load? Or would the 3070 just be able to push more before getting to that thermal point?

If that makes any sense at all

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CyberPingu posted:

This may seem like a dumb question so sorry about that.

Would the 3070 be expected to "run cooler" than say a 1080ti under the same load? Or would the 3070 just be able to push more before getting to that thermal point?

If that makes any sense at all

I'm assuming you're concerned about heat in your system as a whole or JUST die heat?

1080ti is 250W TDP, I thought the 3070 was 220W. So right there there's less heat coming in. I'd expect the 3070 won't be pegged fully as much as the 1080ti under the same workload, so it'll probably spend more time below that max anyway.

3070 isn't going to run as cool as, like, the 1070 does but it should compare nicely against the 1080ti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Temperature is a function of both heat produced and dissipated. Assuming you mean actual efficiency, as in energy consumed to produce the same FPS at the same settings, Ampere is very efficient despite the silicon being pushed about as hard as it can be because it's a really drat good architecture. The 3080 is the most power-efficient GPU you can buy today, and it's quite possible the 3070 will be more efficient still.