Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Battlefield 5 is $30 at target until thursday...

gently caress, don't buy more games Veni, Don't buy more games Veni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

It’s a great game triple v.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is the most trouble I've ever got myself in during a Holiday season. My backlog runs deep.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

This is the most trouble I've ever got myself in during a Holiday season. My backlog runs deep.

Odyssey
Soul Calibur 6
BLOPS
RDR2
Tetris Effect
Battlefield V

I’m drowning in the good game goo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

if it's already that cheap, it's gonna be even cheaper before long

also battlefield games are always unfinished for like a year post launch and everyone knows it

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Manatee Cannon posted:

if it's already that cheap, it's gonna be even cheaper before long

also battlefield games are always unfinished for like a year post launch and everyone knows it

Some of them never get fixed! :cryingbattlefieldhardline:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's literally foolish to buy a Battlefield game before February when you can get it for $25 wherever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

NO.

DOWN.

GO TO BED. (or play soulcal)

Don't listen to KD about dat good game goo, seriously just imagine the look on your face after too many holiday splurges :gizz:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s a great game triple v.

The V is for Battlefield V

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Odyssey
Soul Calibur 6
BLOPS
RDR2
Tetris Effect
Battlefield V

I’m drowning in the good game goo

Don't know if you've played much of Odyssey yet, but it's way better than I'd expected it to be. It's a rad ARPG and I recommend it to anyone even vaguely interested.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

I will be cautious to back a PSwitch based on sonys tendency to just abandon things if they dont take off

They would be fools to support 2 platforms. If they could somehow get it to run all their console software i could see getting it but idk what resolution they'd have to slump to to get a theoretical mini ps4 to work on just a battery

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

They would be fools to support 2 platforms. If they could somehow get it to run all their console software i could see getting it but idk what resolution they'd have to slump to to get a theoretical mini ps4 to work on just a battery
PS4 is x86 so a mobile version is immediately dead in the water, it'd suck battery no matter what. This does make me wonder if PS5 will be an ARM machine though. Now would be a good time to make the jump since ARM is edging into the server market -- Amazon just added ARM-backed instances to EC2. But wave goodbye to backwards compat if that happens

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I seriously doubt they would go ARM because there isn't an ARM SoC with a good enough GPU. The "high performer" consoles are going to remain x86 for the foreseeable future, that's the only way they are going to have good enough graphical hardware.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

It's just going to be the VR2 controllers that hitch into a screen dock for phones that streams from a PS5 app. Second screen functionality as another selling point for VR and peripherals.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
My uncle told me the PS5 is going to be a usb port on the side of your head.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's just going to be the VR2 controllers that hitch into a screen dock for phones that streams from a PS5 app. Second screen functionality as another selling point for VR and peripherals.

Maybe heavy remote play emphasis

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

PantsBandit posted:

My uncle told me the PS5 is going to be a usb port on the side of your head.

https://youtu.be/rv9_AlimsiQ

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
I'm about to buy a new TV/receiver combo (my current setup has lasted since the ps3 released), and already have a launch ps4. Crystal-balling aside, is the ps4 pro a big (or at least noticeable?) step up from the standard ps4?

Given that it doesn't play UHD discs - and that I use a shield for media/streaming services - does the 4k/hdr/better-framerate-in-general for games make a big difference? I appreciate that's very subjective, but I'm keen to hear any anecdotal evidence.

At present I'm only really hanging out for Sekiro and Death Stranding, if that matters any.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JBP posted:

Don't know if you've played much of Odyssey yet, but it's way better than I'd expected it to be. It's a rad ARPG and I recommend it to anyone even vaguely interested.

I’m not super far into it but I really, really like it. Had to shelve it for cowboys but I’ll be back soon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The V is for Battlefield V

Battlefield Battlefield Battlefield 5: Veni Veni Veni 3X V Maxx Edition is the full title

Don't listen to KD about dat good game goo, seriously just imagine the look on your face after too many holiday splurges :gizz:

:argh:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFcLyDb6niA

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Vr2 controller patent has big triangles on the ends for motion tracking and would be hilariously insane hitched up to a tablet.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Battlefield Battlefield Battlefield 5: Veni Veni Veni 3X V Maxx Edition

Jumping out of my fighter plane over an enemy owned capture point to tk the shithead griefing our team by colluding with the enemy to steal our vehicles

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

univbee posted:

I've just run into an absolutely baffling issue with my PS4 and PS4 Pro, and want to see if this rings a bell for anybody because I am completely dumbfounded by what this can be.

A little over a week ago my PS4 Pro started hard shutting down in the middle of use. As in no light at all on the console. Once this would happen, the console would completely refuse to even attempt to power on or even eject the disc unless I killed the power to it (as in unplugging the power cable) and plugged it back in, but for like an hour or two it was impossible to get it to power on correctly, at best it would stay on for a split-second (even the power-on beep would be cut short). So I was thinking my PS4 Pro was dying, and set up a service request for it over the weekend.

I had an older model "fat" PS4 hooked up (the all-matte kind with real buttons) in the iterim, and just today it did the exact same thing. Now given the difference in model there were some differences in how things were setup exactly, with the only common points being the HDMI cable/port used on the TV, and network cable. What's weird is I had it hooked up elsewhere on the same TV (different input, HDMI cable/port and network cable) and no issues. The only other common element was a newer model Playstation camera hooked up, the same one in both cases.

Now what baffles me is how an HDMI cable, network cable, or Playstation Eye are capable of somehow causing a console to fail this hard and for this long, like I actually do have to let the console sit for a few hours before it'll be usable again, even if I unplug it from power and everything.

Any ideas? :psyduck:

My Pro was doing that before I opened it up and cleaned and reapplied thermal paste. Now it doesn’t.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

buildmorefarms posted:

I'm about to buy a new TV/receiver combo (my current setup has lasted since the ps3 released), and already have a launch ps4. Crystal-balling aside, is the ps4 pro a big (or at least noticeable?) step up from the standard ps4?

Given that it doesn't play UHD discs - and that I use a shield for media/streaming services - does the 4k/hdr/better-framerate-in-general for games make a big difference? I appreciate that's very subjective, but I'm keen to hear any anecdotal evidence.

At present I'm only really hanging out for Sekiro and Death Stranding, if that matters any.

I have a high-end 1080p set and find that games that have Pro enhancements or play nice with boost mode definitely make the upgrade worthwhile.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just finished Horizon: The Frozen Wilds to 100%. This is the kind of DLC expansion we should be getting! Just a huge new area, lots of new stuff to do and kill and craft. Although even on my Pro the snowy environments made the fans sound like they were about to lift off on rare instances. I was going into this expecting some kind of chintzy 5 hour thing but I spent a few days worth of sessions with it, clearing out all the quests and learning more about the arctic north. They set up a sequel villain pretty hard with this expansion too, and I'm actually excited to see where the angle with Hephaestus goes in a potential sequel. But wow they really ramped up the difficulty on this thing, I'd gotten all cocky what with having the special Halo recharging shield armor and then they have the giant robot bears that spew fire and they get a couple swings in on you and hey where did 500 of my health go!?

I've only got two trophies to round out a complete trophy set, but they're the NG+ and beat the game on Ultra Hard ones so I'm really not all that eager to speedrun the game with all my busted Frozen Wilds gear at this time. Sony did send me the platinum trophy e-mail though, but from the message line I thought they finally sent me the Bloodborne one they never did :(

Still this game was great, I hope Guerrilla is working on making this their new big franchise because there's so much potential in it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

if you really want the Bloodborne Platinum theme, you just have to contact support chat. I did it like 2 years after I got the plat and they gave me a code.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I find support chat so loving weird. I've called PS support twice and they answered quickly, provided good service, but I felt like an eight year old going "my bideo game broked :("

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Battlefield V: The Phantom Playercount

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BFV on PC is super good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BFV on PS4 is super good.

I was worried I might regret it at full price but it’s bringing me back to playing 1942 for hours and hours and hours.

acksplode posted:

Jumping out of my fighter plane over an enemy owned capture point to tk the shithead griefing our team by colluding with the enemy to steal our vehicles

F

Policenaut posted:

Just finished Horizon: The Frozen Wilds to 100%. This is the kind of DLC expansion we should be getting! Just a huge new area, lots of new stuff to do and kill and craft. Although even on my Pro the snowy environments made the fans sound like they were about to lift off on rare instances. I was going into this expecting some kind of chintzy 5 hour thing but I spent a few days worth of sessions with it, clearing out all the quests and learning more about the arctic north. They set up a sequel villain pretty hard with this expansion too, and I'm actually excited to see where the angle with Hephaestus goes in a potential sequel. But wow they really ramped up the difficulty on this thing, I'd gotten all cocky what with having the special Halo recharging shield armor and then they have the giant robot bears that spew fire and they get a couple swings in on you and hey where did 500 of my health go!?

I've only got two trophies to round out a complete trophy set, but they're the NG+ and beat the game on Ultra Hard ones so I'm really not all that eager to speedrun the game with all my busted Frozen Wilds gear at this time. Sony did send me the platinum trophy e-mail though, but from the message line I thought they finally sent me the Bloodborne one they never did :(

Still this game was great, I hope Guerrilla is working on making this their new big franchise because there's so much potential in it.

I’m glad you enjoyed it. I can’t think of a dlc/expansion I’ve enjoyed more than TFW. Everything it tried to do it did well. Basically felt like a greatest hits of the best main game parts with new fun things sprinkled on top.

And yeah it really needs to be their main franchise + a long term franchise for Sony.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wait does Black Cat show up in the retail game because if she leaves me tapes and I have to buy DLC to actually fight her that’s some straight up bullshit

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PS5 is going to be backwards compatible and it's going to own because I will get around to playing all the games I already bought and not buying new ones and

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Wait does Black Cat show up in the retail game because if she leaves me tapes and I have to buy DLC to actually fight her that’s some straight up bullshit

Yeah this is it

I guess I’m gonna try Red Dead Online today

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

:smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhE5nWvoQYY

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
loving

loving

What

The

Hell

You were supposed to be one of the good ones, Spider-Man

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

loving

loving

What

The

Hell

You were supposed to be one of the good ones, Spider-Man

If it helps, when I played the game there was no DLC so I assumed it was a hook for the sequel. A bit like in Arkham Asylum where you see some empty cells for some of the bigger villains but they are not in the game.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I feel like the Black Cat missions in the main game are fine by themselves and if you didn’t know about the DLC thing it wouldn’t be an issue

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
They already made a PS5witch guys, it was called the Vita, it was good, but unsupported.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Dewgy posted:

RDR’s shotguns are incredible across the board really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgDvAp5LHy8

I fell in love with incendiary buckshot. I need do upgrade my satchels so I can hold more than 3 moonshine at a time for easier crafting. The fences must think I am crazy for buying 3 twenty times in a row each time I visit.

Aside from the occasional rampant murder spree, RDR2 has become my go to chill out walking (riding) simulator. The slow, deliberate feel to almost everything to do is very calming.

Also, get the Arabian horse from the west shore of Lake Isabella (the legendary White Bison is on the other lakeside as well).

Wheeeeeeee.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
RDO doesn’t unlock for a few hours so I’m playing part 2 of the Spidey DLC. I seriously hate the combat in this game the more I play parts of it. Like I’m literally on friendly difficulty but I spend every fight spamming down on the d-pad just to get health back