Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How do we make games not suck for 75 minutes before they get good? I wish they'd try designing a rule for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I would be interested to see how binning players for 10 minutes for certain infringements would impact games.

Not sure what infringements should result in a binning. Maybe professional fouls that currently result in a yellow? A binning for persistent fouling or bad fouls might work as well.

Messi and Barca players would still never get called for it.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Brony Car posted:

Marco Van Basten, who is now FIFA's technical director, is proposing rule changes.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/marco-van-basten-fifa-plans-change-football-a7534186.html

They include:

According to other articles/reports I've seen, other proposed changes include getting rid of the offside rule and extra time and splitting matches into 4 quarters.

And of course it will be up to the clubs and not the national FAs to make the fixture reduction happen.

Should this go here? I think it should.

Can someone please clarify what an 8-second run-up is, exactly?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

Watch old NASL or MLS shootout run-ups.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

TheBigAristotle posted:

Basically a hockey penalty shot.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
British man dies working on Qatar 2022 World Cup stadium

quote:

A British man has died after falling off a suspended platform while working on a 2022 World Cup stadium in Qatar.
The man, 40, fell when the platform, used to manage sound and lighting, collapsed at the Khalifa International Stadium on Thursday, its construction firm contractor said.
His safety harness was cut during the fall, Midmac-Six Construct said.
Labour said the Qatari authorities and Fifa had been putting "profit before safety", and urged Fifa to investigate.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38689250

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

TheBigAristotle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjt9-uuejYM

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
'cut during the fall'

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I quite like the idea of hockey style penalties for shootouts. We might get to see players breakdown and cry halfway to the area instead of closing their eyes and blasting it like they do now.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

I would be interested to see how binning players for 10 minutes for certain infringements would impact games.

Not sure what infringements should result in a binning. Maybe professional fouls that currently result in a yellow? A binning for persistent fouling or bad fouls might work as well.

Yeah I'm not opposed to the idea of a sin bin, but I'm having trouble seeing where it would be used outside of maybe second yellows.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah sin bins are the only part of that which isn't completely stupid.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I think all the old euro stars who played in the NASL said they liked the breakaway challenge more than the traditional shootout

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think all the old euro stars who played in the NASL said they liked the breakaway challenge more than the traditional shootout

I just watched a video of a NASL shootout for the first time, and they are unequivocally better than normal penalties in every way.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

blue footed boobie posted:

Yeah I'm not opposed to the idea of a sin bin, but I'm having trouble seeing where it would be used outside of maybe second yellows.

sin binning for things like persistent timewasting or simulation is a much better way of dealing with it than a yellow card.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its also a good alternative when a ref thinks a challenge should get a booking but a second yellow is harsh

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Corrode posted:

Yeah, if you do something stupid on purpose, you disadvantage your team, I really like that about RFU

EDIT: All for unlimited sin bins instead of double yellow = red

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Corrode posted:

NASL shootouts owned actually

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I think Van Basten's idea was that it would be for accumulating fouls, like five fouls gets you a ten minutes time out.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Last year a scout for Jeonbuk of the K-League got caught for offering bribes. The KFA's punishment was a nine point deduction for the 2016 season, that wasn't good enough for the AFC though and Jeonbuk is being banned from the Champions League.

http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_en.jsp?cid=AEN20170118011851315&site=0200000000&mobile

quote:

The South Korean club got disqualified from the 2017 Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Champions League, the K League said Thursday. It said the Entry Control Body (ECB), a judicial body independent of the AFC, reached the decision following its review of Jeonbuk's eligibility.

The ECB, established last December, has jurisdiction over reviewing and ruling on a team's eligibility for entering the AFC Champions League (ACL) among other continental events.

Last year, one of Jeonbuk's scouts was convicted of bribing referees in 2013. They were docked nine points by the K League's disciplinary committee -- which cost them a chance to win their third straight domestic league title -- and were fined 100 million won (US$85,700).

Jeonbuk went on to win the ACL in November by beating Al Ain of the United Arab Emirates. Jeonbuk also secured their spot in the 2017 ACL by finishing second in the K League Classic.

In a statement, the AFC noted that Jeonbuk have been ruled ineligible because of their "indirect involvement in activities aimed at arranging or influencing the outcome of matches."

According to a document on eligibility rules, clubs involved in "arranging or influencing the outcome of a match at the national or international level" will be barred from the ACL for one year. The AFC General Secretary Windsor John said last month that the Asian football body has "zero tolerance towards match manipulation and has done more than many other bodies to tackle that threat to sport."

Jeonbuk said they will take the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), the world's top sports tribunal, to "justify our participation" in the ACL.

Jeonbuk have 10 days to ask the ECB for the reason for its decision. And within 10 days of the reception of the ECB's response, Jeonbuk may then take the case to the CAS.

Jeonbuk had been paired in Group H with Adelaide United of Australia, Jiangsu FC of China and a playoff-winning team to be determined later.

According to sources here, Adelaide United earlier requested the AFC to deny Jeonbuk access.

With Jeonbuk's disqualification, Jeju United, which earned an ACL playoff spot after finishing third in the K League Classic, will take Jeonbuk's place in Group H. Ulsan Hyundai, fourth last year in the domestic league, will get into the playoffs in Jeju's stead.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Dravs posted:

Every single game would devolve into 10 players inside their own penalty box hoofing the ball into the opposing sides penalty box where their lone striker is standing by the goalpost.

This is exactly how I played Nintendo World Cup when I got bored of attempting to kill everyone on the opposing team.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

blue footed boobie posted:

I just watched a video of a NASL shootout for the first time, and they are unequivocally better than normal penalties in every way.

Based on skill, goalkeepers don't have to guess, and it's just as exciting

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

dex_sda posted:

Based on skill, goalkeepers don't have to guess, and it's just as exciting

The only positive of the idiocy of that type of penalty is greater chance for somebody to do a John Terry in the rain. That fact alone makes it vital we go with this change.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Can you do an NASL shootout on a rainy Tuesday in Stoke?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Keep normal penalties for during a game and hockey style ones for shootouts

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'd be good with this

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

I'd be good with this

Agreed.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJEnwi7otu0

How could you not want this?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Awesome.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

This is pretty great though imo 5 seconds was too short

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

vyelkin posted:

This is pretty great though imo 5 seconds was too short

Yeah you basically only have time to get to the top of the box before you have to shoot

Was kinda surprised no one in that vid just lobbed the keepers, seeing as they came rushing out immediately every time

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

I've been waiting for this all week. I forgot about the jacked up clock, hahaha

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Never seen a NASL shootout before, but I quite like this

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Make it 7 or 8 seconds and it's perfect. Penalties are stupid as hell.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Would have loved to see mad Jens take a stab at one of these

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
that's a great shootout but yeah, longer time is needed

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Would have loved to see mad Jens take a stab at one of these

Just imagine, instead of some dickhead like neymar doing those poo poo stutter runups they get to the area, do a step over, then get absolutely flattened by mad jens

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Imagine Zaza's penalty in shootout form

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

can't wait to see this 5 times in a row

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHrKcp49tqM

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Don't think anyone's suggesting replacing in-game penos. Then again van Basten is pretty mental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Wait. You guys actually think MLS 1.0 penalty shootouts are a good thing?