Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've been goofing around with the node investment system a bit as a low level character.

It looks like one of the big benefits is drop rate increases. At what level would that actually be useful enough to start investing energy? As is, if I'm out killing stuff, I expect I'd outlevel the zone before getting a return on my investment.

Is investing energy into cities a good plan? Are any better to start with than others?

Investing energy into nodes does nothing as far as anyone can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Estraysian posted:

Investing energy into nodes does nothing as far as anyone can tell.

Edit: I am wrong and stupid.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 29, 2017

J
Jun 10, 2001

FileNotFound posted:

But investing into cities does make the amity game easier. I suggest making a few energy alts for that.

Say what now? That's the first I've heard of this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Futaba Anzu posted:

The spot with a billion people in Velia is because there's a golden hot spot in a safe zone there.

Just be aware that if the servers are heaving and groaning like a sweating fat man trying to walk up the stairs that Velia is the worst place for disconnects in the entire game because of that fishing hot spot.

So if that's happening to you at some point just move on to a less populated area.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

J posted:

Say what now? That's the first I've heard of this.

Apparently I am wrong and stupid and it does nothing but fuels my imagination.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I guess it says it in the UI, but doesn't actually work?

Are there other mechanics like that to look out for?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

That's nothing. The game was out for a full year before people started to realize that the boost to your health/endurance when leveling up was RNG, and that it didn't necessarily balance out in time. I am not even sure if that ever got addressed :downs:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay so, keep questing for contribution points and build up a neighborhood of slaves and houses. Neat

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
You can cook for contribution as well. every ~500 cooks will give 1 contribution up to the soft cap

J
Jun 10, 2001

Yeah, if the node and worker system is what interests you and you want to be the biggest slavemaster you can be, here's how I'd do it.

Take all the nodes that produce the main ingredient for beer. Wheat, barley, potato, corn. These are near velia, heidel, and calpheon. There is a sweet potato node in mediah too but no need to worry about that early on. Don't sell these, you'll be using them yourself.
Once you're level 40, you'll have access to most of the daily quests in calpheon. This is a 15ish minute circuit of running around town that should get you a few CP per day until you start hitting CP softcaps. Here's a walkthrough of what order to do them in.
Don't burn yourself out on this, but if you just loving love daily quests and are level 50+, mediah has a shitload more of them.

The daily quests are more to build up your node empire while you're new and don't have a lot of silver to throw around. In the long run, cooking is the best way to get CP, but to do it effectively you need to be able to stack effects that reduce your cooking time. Many of these require effort, silver, or both that you probably won't have as a new player. I'll list them anyways though.

Advanced cooking utensil. -1s cooking time, and 900 durability compared to the vendor bought utensil that has 100 durability. You can make these from a level 3 tool workshop. You'll need to mine rough stones, and chop logs to make these.
Teff sandwiches (-.5s), or teff bread if you can't get sandwiches. -.3s
Alchemy stone of life. Depends on tier, but somewhere between 1 and 1.4seconds off.
Silver embroidered cook's clothes. -1second per enhancement level. +1 clothes are easy to get, just smash +0s together until you get one, don't worry about failstacks. +2s are more difficult, you'll want 10-15 failstacks before trying those. +3s are a much bigger pain in the rear end, +4 is super duper expensive. +5s basically don't exist. The market prices for these are hard capped way too low so the higher level ones basically never get sold.
Pearl shop cooking outfit, -2seconds.

Get as many of the things on that list as you can, and then just cook beer. You'll end up needing it to feed your workers sooner or later. Cooking anything produces byproducts that can be turned into npcs for a reward. One of them is contribution experience. If you go hog wild and get all of that stuff I just listed, including high tier cook's clothes and an alchemy stone, you can get your cooking speed down to 1 second per combine and can burn through an entire advanced utensil in 15 minutes. Then it's just a matter of producing enough utensils and having enough cooking materials to keep going.

Early on when your node network is small and your workers aren't artisan level yet, you might get tempted to sell excess beer. Don't do it. Eventually you'll get lazy about cooking, eventually your network will grow and you'll need more of it.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

Eltoasto posted:

That guide looks like it was done before Mediah and the Grunil armor set came out, check out this one.

That guide is way better, and has full names for armor too so I know exactly what to look for. Thank you!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Afgad posted:

That guide is way better, and has full names for armor too so I know exactly what to look for. Thank you!

Actually Lurksion was correct and the guide I linked was prior to the roaring magical armor, which is a free chest piece they give you at level 50, which upgrades from quests to a really nice piece. From what I see, Tamers go with that and then get 2 pieces of Heve for the 2-piece bonus. Then you can round it out with a piece of Agerian. You are mostly worrying about set bonuses and crystal slots, and eventually boss gear will replace them all, that's long term though.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool I'll restructure my crafting spaces to meet beer. I had some stockpiled already for that purpose and was planning on seeing if I could do everything to make myself a boat.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

lurksion posted:

Anyway, so you get Roaring Magical Armor from a quest chain from the black spirit starting in SW Calpheon starting in the late 40s involving a murder tour of the area, then it upgrades every level until you get the final piece at L54 (?). You then would pair it up with 3 other pieces of your choice. 2/3 piece Heve is good, Grunil gloves/helm + 1 other is good, or another 3-piece set (3-piece Taritas probably good for Tamer since they use stamina alot iirc).

Is Roaring armor the last upgrade?

I got the Dim Magical Armor from the black spirit when i played on US and i also got the follow up quest to get the next armor step from the Black Spirit.
Now on EU, after the quest rewamps, i never got the quest to get the Dim Magical Armor and had to manually pick up the armor from one of the dudes in Calpathon. I cannot seem to find the follow up quests to upgrade the armor though, and i am 53 now.

frank.club posted:

Is there any way to stop the unending notification spam on the top of the screen

This is literally the most asked question in the ingame chat, even more than "is this game p2w?".
It is bizarre that the notification spam is left on by default, it is of so little use to so few players and is definitely of no use to newbies.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Is Roaring armor the last upgrade?

I got the Dim Magical Armor from the black spirit when i played on US and i also got the follow up quest to get the next armor step from the Black Spirit.
Now on EU, after the quest rewamps, i never got the quest to get the Dim Magical Armor and had to manually pick up the armor from one of the dudes in Calpathon. I cannot seem to find the follow up quests to upgrade the armor though, and i am 53 now.

This is literally the most asked question in the ingame chat, even more than "is this game p2w?".
It is bizarre that the notification spam is left on by default, it is of so little use to so few players and is definitely of no use to newbies.

Roaring magical armor is the last upgrade at the moment. It has the DP of PRI ultimate grunil and gives +50 hp, +5 accuracy, and has 2 gem slots. I think you get the quest from the black spirit every level or so starting from 50 until it's at roaring magical armor

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

No such quests from the black spirit. Do i need to do all the "for a sharper ..." quests first?

I only know about the magic armor because i did get these quests back in february when i played on US.

J posted:

Once you're level 40, you'll have access to most of the daily quests in calpheon.

How do you stop the pickpockets? I can do the non repeatable quest once on every character but the repeatable one doesn't work. Ill find a pickpocket, talk to him then he tells me something about how it wasn't him and there is no quest progress. I do it exactly like i have seen like 3 youtubers in Calpathon daily quest guides do it and no dice.

J posted:

Advanced cooking utensil. -1s cooking time, and 900 durability compared to the vendor bought utensil that has 100 durability. You can make these from a level 3 tool workshop. You'll need to mine rough stones, and chop logs to make these.
Getting the rough stone for these is a gigantic pain. They are almost impossible to get from the TP, even a 1400 silver preorder doesn't let me buy them. We can craft millions of copper, iron, silver and gold ingots but somehow getting regular STONE is the bottleneck?
Can the advanced utensils be repaired or are they trash once you do 900 crafts?.

J posted:

Silver embroidered cook's clothes.....
...+4 is super duper expensive. +5s basically don't exist.
Do these exist? The TP only shows them to +3.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 30, 2017

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

lurksion posted:

That looks way outdated too. Recommends Yuria still, no discussion of awakening, no mention of Roaring Magical Armor, which is probably BIS and breaks the Grunil set bonus.

Anyway, so you get Roaring Magical Armor from a quest chain from the black spirit starting in SW Calpheon starting in the late 40s involving a murder tour of the area, then it upgrades every level until you get the final piece at L54 (?). You then would pair it up with 3 other pieces of your choice. 2/3 piece Heve is good, Grunil gloves/helm + 1 other is good, or another 3-piece set (3-piece Taritas probably good for Tamer since they use stamina alot iirc).

Target buying +15 or PRI as a start as a poorperson (probably?), though I think TRI is apparently widely considered minimum PvP standards (no idea).

Is Roaring Magic Armor BIS for everyone or is this more specific to Tamers? Right now I'm running +15 2/2 Grunil and Heve on my Dark Knight and am trying to figure out what to grab next, might rework the gear to incorporate that if it's the better option.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Ineptitude posted:

How do you stop the pickpockets? I can do the non repeatable quest once on every character but the repeatable one doesn't work. Ill find a pickpocket, talk to him then he tells me something about how it wasn't him and there is no quest progress. I do it exactly like i have seen like 3 youtubers in Calpathon daily quest guides do it and no dice.

Once you interact with them, they follow you. Drag them back over to the guard and talk to him.

quote:

Getting the rough stone for these is a gigantic pain. They are almost impossible to get from the TP, even a 1400 silver preorder doesn't let me buy them. We can craft millions of copper, iron, silver and gold ingots but somehow getting regular STONE is the bottleneck?
Can the advanced utensils be repaired or are they trash once you do 900 crafts?.

The cooking ingredient vendor now sells higher endurance tools, i just use those instead of crafting advanced.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Rough stone has high preorders because of siege guilds. You will have to mine it yourself if you want to use the better utensils--supposedly there's a place in valencia that is good for this

Ineptitude posted:

No such quests from the black spirit. Do i need to do all the "for a sharper ..." quests first?

I only know about the magic armor because i did get these quests back in february when i played on US.

No idea I don't play on EU. +4-5 life clothes exist but there is no reason to be selling them

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

How difficult is it to find clothes with actual pants/shirts in this game?

I know what I'm getting into here kMMO-wise but it'd be nice to know if I can play one of the gender-locked classes without having to shut my door and pray no-one walks in on me playing a video game with a half naked anime realdoll because it's the only class that has a big sword.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

Rough stone has high preorders because of siege guilds. You will have to mine it yourself if you want to use the better utensils--supposedly there's a place in valencia that is good for this

No idea I don't play on EU. +4-5 life clothes exist but there is no reason to be selling them

I guess they aren't listed on the TP because no one has ever sold them. +3 cooking clothes is only ever sold 64 times, ironically one got added 5 minutes after i added a notification for it yesterday. I didn't win the bid :(

Brain In A Jar posted:

I know what I'm getting into here kMMO-wise but it'd be nice to know if I can play one of the gender-locked classes without having to shut my door and pray no-one walks in on me playing a video game with a half naked anime realdoll because it's the only class that has a big sword.

All the chicks have huge tits with advandced jiggly physics but if you don't buy a a pearl store costume you don't have to worry about any of that showing off. A few of the costumes are literal lingeré, most of them are dresses with various amounts of cleavage, some of them are full fledged armor.
If you don't spend any money on costumes you will look like a hobo with raggedy robes on for the most part.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 30, 2017

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Any use for mounting Heilang as a tamer in combat or just have him fight beside me?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Brain In A Jar posted:

Honestly, all of the cash shop outfits look pretty awful for dk. The cash shop costumes are probably more what you're looking for as far as covering stuff, but you're going to have koreagame boob jiggle no matter what. Even in what looks like plate armor. In this case, outfits all give the same bonuses (+amity gain, -death penalty, +vision range, +jump height, +10% combat xp), where costumes give different benefits to different activities with canape standing out as having a cooking bonus as well as the regular outfit bonuses.

I don't really know the deal is with the craftable stuff, but I think all regular armor looks the same

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I picked this game up early '16, played it to about level 15 and then became overwhelmed by the sheer amount of mechanics, terminology and weird translation and voiceacting and wound up walking away from it. After seeing it on STEAM again and seeing my friends get back into it, I decided to take a step back and look at it again. I think that playing WoW for so many years rearranged my brain so the concept of a sandbox MMO was foreign to me all over again because man I'm getting some real UO/Runescape(?!) vibes from this in that I'm having way more fun learning how to have a production system and prettifying my house than I had running around slaughtering critters. It's refreshing as gently caress to have an MMO where you just do stuff without feeling like you're wasting your time if you're not stuck in a dungeon or a raid.

Don't get me wrong, bodyslamming goblins is A++ primo gameplay, but it's just nice to be able to slow the gently caress down and tool around making things, and generally I hate crafting so this is a bit of revelation. I've even gotten used to the weird voiceacting, I couldn't bring myself to turn it off.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

The cooking ingredient vendor now sells higher endurance tools, i just use those instead of crafting advanced.

All of them? My cooking house is in Velia and i thought that dude still only sold the regular one

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

All the chicks have huge tits with advandced jiggly physics

Tamers have small boobs that don't jiggle :eng101:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ineptitude posted:

Whichever quest chain ends up with killing a scroll witch. I think "for a sharper ..." come after that? So you should be eligible - try moving character to Calpheon?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Brain In A Jar posted:

FYI Warrior also has a big sword at 56 as well.

And yeah, DK costumes suck. Her regular armor actually doesn't look too bad though, notably less hoboey than some others.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I was mad disappointed in DK costumes, the Robin hood one is the best because the cool hat though. My Sorc had way cooler costumes

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

The DK hasn't been around long, so it is still catching up on costumes. Eventually it will have all the standard sets that the other classes have.

Drythe posted:

All of them? My cooking house is in Velia and i thought that dude still only sold the regular one

I'm talking about the Balenos cooking tool that was added. It's not as good as an advanced but has 5x the endurance of the base level one, so good for afk cooking.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ineptitude posted:

I guess they aren't listed on the TP because no one has ever sold them. +3 cooking clothes is only ever sold 64 times, ironically one got added 5 minutes after i added a notification for it yesterday. I didn't win the bid :(

That's exactly it. People don't sell them because the market price is capped way too low. The +3s that do get sold are a result of someone getting a +4 and saying "gently caress it, I'm done", and liquidating the extra +3s they were prepared to blow up trying to get +4.

Songbearer posted:

I picked this game up early '16, played it to about level 15 and then became overwhelmed by the sheer amount of mechanics, terminology and weird translation and voiceacting and wound up walking away from it. After seeing it on STEAM again and seeing my friends get back into it, I decided to take a step back and look at it again. I think that playing WoW for so many years rearranged my brain so the concept of a sandbox MMO was foreign to me all over again because man I'm getting some real UO/Runescape(?!) vibes from this in that I'm having way more fun learning how to have a production system and prettifying my house than I had running around slaughtering critters. It's refreshing as gently caress to have an MMO where you just do stuff without feeling like you're wasting your time if you're not stuck in a dungeon or a raid.

Don't get me wrong, bodyslamming goblins is A++ primo gameplay, but it's just nice to be able to slow the gently caress down and tool around making things, and generally I hate crafting so this is a bit of revelation. I've even gotten used to the weird voiceacting, I couldn't bring myself to turn it off.

This is the correct way to play this game. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Most MMOs have a ton of content that doesn't unlock until you hit max level, and have a habit of making existing content/gear obsolete on a regular basis. Thus you feel pressured to "catch up" but also have to wonder if the next patch is going to make everything you just did worthless. BDO doesn't do that at all for the most part. When they do add better gear, it tends to start out comparable to existing items but scales better with enhancement level, while costing orders of magnitude more silver to create.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

J posted:

This is the correct way to play this game. Take your time and enjoy the journey.

So far my game experience has been like this:

I decide to learn how to fish. Thirty minutes later I am fishing in a hotspot.

I decide to learn how to cook. But to cook, I need food. So how do I get food? This leads me to learn how to set up worker production. 3 hours later my contribution points are all dedicated to making potatoes.

Then I finally have some potatoes and I cook (?) some beer. Why this is cooking and not brewing I have no idea. Maybe Koreans drink fermented potato mush and call it beer.

The cooking guide said making tea is a good deal, but that means I need flowers. Thus, I had to learn how to farm. 2 hours later I had sunflowers on a little plot.

The lifeskills part of this game is super fun and incredibly time consuming. I'm loving it.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

J posted:

Yeah, if the node and worker system is what interests you and you want to be the biggest slavemaster you can be, here's how I'd do it.

Take all the nodes that produce the main ingredient for beer. Wheat, barley, potato, corn. These are near velia, heidel, and calpheon. There is a sweet potato node in mediah too but no need to worry about that early on. Don't sell these, you'll be using them yourself.
Once you're level 40, you'll have access to most of the daily quests in calpheon. This is a 15ish minute circuit of running around town that should get you a few CP per day until you start hitting CP softcaps. Here's a walkthrough of what order to do them in.
Don't burn yourself out on this, but if you just loving love daily quests and are level 50+, mediah has a shitload more of them.

The daily quests are more to build up your node empire while you're new and don't have a lot of silver to throw around. In the long run, cooking is the best way to get CP, but to do it effectively you need to be able to stack effects that reduce your cooking time. Many of these require effort, silver, or both that you probably won't have as a new player. I'll list them anyways though.

Teff sandwiches (-.5s), or teff bread if you can't get sandwiches. -.3s
Alchemy stone of life. Depends on tier, but somewhere between 1 and 1.4seconds off.
Silver embroidered cook's clothes. -1second per enhancement level. +1 clothes are easy to get, just smash +0s together until you get one, don't worry about failstacks. +2s are more difficult, you'll want 10-15 failstacks before trying those. +3s are a much bigger pain in the rear end, +4 is super duper expensive. +5s basically don't exist. The market prices for these are hard capped way too low so the higher level ones basically never get sold.
Pearl shop cooking outfit, -2seconds.

Get as many of the things on that list as you can, and then just cook beer. You'll end up needing it to feed your workers sooner or later. Cooking anything produces byproducts that can be turned into npcs for a reward. One of them is contribution experience. If you go hog wild and get all of that stuff I just listed, including high tier cook's clothes and an alchemy stone, you can get your cooking speed down to 1 second per combine and can burn through an entire advanced utensil in 15 minutes. Then it's just a matter of producing enough utensils and having enough cooking materials to keep going.

Early on when your node network is small and your workers aren't artisan level yet, you might get tempted to sell excess beer. Don't do it. Eventually you'll get lazy about cooking, eventually your network will grow and you'll need more of it.

Thanks, love these kind of guides. Any advice on getting all artisan workers to make the rest of the advice work? Having a hard time telling how many to put where and figuring out how much and which lodging properties to have...

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Afgad posted:

Then I finally have some potatoes and I cook (?) some beer. Why this is cooking and not brewing I have no idea. Maybe Koreans drink fermented potato mush and call it beer.

It's small beer, which is actually pretty historically accurate.

quote:

Thanks, love these kind of guides. Any advice on getting all artisan workers to make the rest of the advice work? Having a hard time telling how many to put where and figuring out how much and which lodging properties to have...

This video came out today which is a pretty good guide too. As for Artisan workers, I'm pretty sure it's just 'plop alts next to the worker people in each city, spend energy on it from each alt each day until you get the right colors'. You can also promote workers but it's slow and you can only have one promotion test going on at a time.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Sooo, since this game is cheap right now I'll try it out with a buddy. Downloading at the moment.

Any words of warning to a MMORPG noob goon? What do you lose when you die in this game? What the hell am I getting myself into?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Basically the way to get artisans is either dump thousands of energy fishing for the artisan or just hire skilled/professional and promote. Don't hire green or white tier workers ever.

I've seen people list artisan workers for sale as well

SlightlyMad posted:

Sooo, since this game is cheap right now I'll try it out with a buddy. Downloading at the moment.

Any words of warning to a MMORPG noob goon? What do you lose when you die in this game? What the hell am I getting myself into?

If you die to non-safe PVE, you lose ~1% exp and have a chance of any socketed crystal breaking. If you have negative karma from killing too many people/horses, you also have a chance of equipment degrading.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Just promote them, you could have them all up to artisan in a few weeks

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Use alt's energy to hire blue+ workers, and promote as they level. It's RNG, but you should get what you want eventually.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

J posted:

This is the correct way to play this game. Take your time and enjoy the journey.

That does actually sound kind of nice. And watching some videos, I'm impressed with how fluid the movement controls seem, too. Most MMOs have really limited or floaty movements but in videos it looks Black Desert's movement tries to feel like a single-player game, with climbing over fences, skidding on horses, and cool stuff like that.

I've bought too many games recently but this does look like a fun way to spend some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

SlightlyMad posted:

You can sometimes (rng) lose crystals that are tranfused into gear, after level 50 and you die from PVE, you lose 5% (i think?).

Pick a class you think you'll like. Follow the creepy black spirit quest dude up, he usually steers you towards mobs that are around your level. The graphics/gameplay are quite different from most MMO's out there.