Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kstatix posted:

Anyone else here have a RAZR maxx HD and have issues with music skipping? I'm running stock everything and using Google music. Even in airplane mode it skips regularly. Its infuriating and my s4 can't come soon enough.

Yeah it seems to have started with the latest OTA update, at least for me.

It is not happening often, just maybe one super brief skip every 10 minutes or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah it seems to have started with the latest OTA update, at least for me.

It is not happening often, just maybe one super brief skip every 10 minutes or so.

It's happening about 10 times per song for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've streamed quite a bit from iheartradio and I haven't had any skips at all.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Still loving the MAXX HD even in spite of a little music skip here and there. I just had RunKeeper keep the GPS hot for a whole hour this morning, and used 5% battery. I'm tethering the thing to my Glass all day and that doesn't even make a dent in it either. If I did this with my old Galaxy Nexus I'd be down to 40% battery at lunchtime.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kitten smoothie posted:

Still loving the MAXX HD even in spite of a little music skip here and there. I just had RunKeeper keep the GPS hot for a whole hour this morning, and used 5% battery. I'm tethering the thing to my Glass all day and that doesn't even make a dent in it either. If I did this with my old Galaxy Nexus I'd be down to 40% battery at lunchtime.

Yeah, I've been going for bike rides every day after work and using My Tracks and I still go 2-3 days between charging my phone.

I've said this before, but this is the first time since my OG Droid where I really don't care about what the latest and greatest phone is. I don't see myself giving this thing up anytime soon.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

I've had nothing but motorola droids since verizon picked up the og droid. Went from that to the droid X, on to the bionic then RAZR maxx. I think I'm done with motorola. This one seems to get very hot in my pocket for no apparent reason.

Other than the music skipping, the mobile hot spot will get stuck in "turning mobile hot spot on" sometimes, indefinitely. Its still broadcasting the ssid when it gets stuck like that, but you can't actually connect to it and you have to power cycle to fix it, and sometimes it'll get stuck again. This is the first phone to really get on my nerves and I work with these things all day, as well as working with dumbshit customers, so I generally have a lot of patience with this stuff.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

kstatix posted:

Other than the music skipping, the mobile hot spot will get stuck in "turning mobile hot spot on" sometimes, indefinitely. Its still broadcasting the ssid when it gets stuck like that, but you can't actually connect to it and you have to power cycle to fix it, and sometimes it'll get stuck again. This is the first phone to really get on my nerves and I work with these things all day, as well as working with dumbshit customers, so I generally have a lot of patience with this stuff.
That sucks to hear. I'm eligible for an upgrade right now and was going to pick up a Razr Maxx HD provided nothing too neat comes out of I/O (I'm doubtful since Google all but snubbed Verizon with the Nexus 4). I guess I can always cross my fingers and hope I don't experience this audio-skipping issue.

Is there anything neat coming down the pipe hardware-wise?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It sounds like if any "x phone" comes out at I/O, whatever has hit the FCC this far only supports AT&T's LTE bands.

So I would still wait until Wednesday's I/O keynote but you could still be looking at a fall refresh of all the Motorola stuff and the S4 might be your option if you want a 2013 device right away.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm on a family plan, and I want to move to my own plan. The process that needs to be completed is the assumption of liability, correct? And this will ensure that I will retain my current service with my phone number, contract end date, and upgrade date, correct? I want to split off from the family plan and use my available upgrade towards the GS4.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 13, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Protocol7 posted:

I'm on a family plan, and I want to move to my own plan. The process that needs to be completed is the assumption of liability, correct? And this will ensure that I will retail my current service with my phone number, contract end date, and upgrade date, correct? I want to split off from the family plan and use my available upgrade towards the GS4.

You will be able to keep your current data plan but not voice plan (obviously), you will have to choose a new voice/sms plan.

But yes. The owner of the account calls in, says joe blow is going to take over my line and his contact number is 555-555-5555.

Then you (joe blow) call the AOL hotline,(888) 832-4540, Give them the line you are taking over, and setup new service under youre name including a credit check and possible deposit requirement.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/faqs/Account%20Management/faq_billing.html?faq=2&grp=3

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
That seems straightforward enough. I don't know what the hell my credit scores are like considering I only pay everything off debit and I have no contracts, so who knows. I guess I'll find out. Thanks guy.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Protocol7 posted:

That seems straightforward enough. I don't know what the hell my credit scores are like considering I only pay everything off debit and I have no contracts, so who knows. I guess I'll find out. Thanks guy.

If the ebayers who bought my unlimited lines could figure it out, so can you.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I'm on a Rezound and thinking about going with the sgs4, I have unlimited still, do the work arounds of using another lines upgrade or opening a new line still work? I was thinking about opening a new line on my family plan with the sgs4, buying a cheap dumb phone, then swapping them and giving the dumb phone to one of my kids

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BJA posted:

I'm on a Rezound and thinking about going with the sgs4, I have unlimited still, do the work arounds of using another lines upgrade or opening a new line still work? I was thinking about opening a new line on my family plan with the sgs4, buying a cheap dumb phone, then swapping them and giving the dumb phone to one of my kids

Yes. Verizon is also going to offer payment plans to buy phones at full price over time (like tmobile)

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
After almost a year of use, my Razr Maxx has a cracked screen and a broken headphone jack. I was cool with the screen, but this phone is worthless to me if I can't use it for Spotify anymore. I have insurance on it. Should I pay the $100 or whatever deductible at Verizon, or are there any comparable phones I might be able to find for a decent price on eBay?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

After almost a year of use, my Razr Maxx has a cracked screen and a broken headphone jack. I was cool with the screen, but this phone is worthless to me if I can't use it for Spotify anymore. I have insurance on it. Should I pay the $100 or whatever deductible at Verizon, or are there any comparable phones I might be able to find for a decent price on eBay?

Pay the 100.

CPFinnit
Jun 5, 2008
My wife and I currently each have iPhone 4's and we've been up for renewal since February. Right now we have unlimited 3G but we've never gone over 4GB of data in a month.

Online one of our lines shows an extra 50 dollar discount for an upgrade/renewal. Would I still be able to get that discount if I went into a store and upgraded?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
If I want to keep unlimited I need to buy a phone off contract correct? How do I go about doing that? Additionally is there any indication the HTC One will be coming to Verizon? I'm not really impressed with either flagship smartphone option Verizon has right now.

I'd be interested in this year's model of the Razr Maxx series but it looks like that won't be out for quite some time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

axeil posted:

If I want to keep unlimited I need to buy a phone off contract correct? How do I go about doing that?

Pay full price for a phone at a verizon store or on verizons website. Buy a phone off someone privately like ebay/craigslist/forums.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

CPFinnit posted:

My wife and I currently each have iPhone 4's and we've been up for renewal since February. Right now we have unlimited 3G but we've never gone over 4GB of data in a month.

Online one of our lines shows an extra 50 dollar discount for an upgrade/renewal. Would I still be able to get that discount if I went into a store and upgraded?
That 50 dollar extra discount is probably the retired New Every Two. It was removed officially 04/15/2013 but extended to 05/15/2013 so it is most likely gone now.

If it is still there for some reason you can use it through any direct channel: store, website or telesales. Just avoid 3rd party resellers, they typically don't support anything other than 2 year pricing.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Pay full price for a phone at a verizon store or on verizons website. Buy a phone off someone privately like ebay/craigslist/forums.

If I buy privately do I go into the store and say I want to switch my GNex with the phone I bought? Will I be able to re-sell the Galaxy Nexus?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

axeil posted:

If I buy privately do I go into the store and say I want to switch my GNex with the phone I bought? Will I be able to re-sell the Galaxy Nexus?

Exactly, you may even just be able to take your gnex sim and swap it in to the new phone, but worst case go into a store and they would swap it on your account. then your Gnex would be ok to sell.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

That 50 dollar extra discount is probably the retired New Every Two. It was removed officially 04/15/2013 but extended to 05/15/2013 so it is most likely gone now.

If it is still there for some reason you can use it through any direct channel: store, website or telesales. Just avoid 3rd party resellers, they typically don't support anything other than 2 year pricing.

They are also having a special promo they are running, if that eligible line is a dumbphone and they are offering $50 of a 4s to get people to upgrade.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 16, 2013

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Exactly, you may even just be able to take your gnex sim and swap it in to the new phone, but worst case go into a store and they would swap it on your account. then your Gnex would be ok to sell.

Ah okay thanks. Also I remember there used to be a trick where you could upgrade a different line (I'm on a family plan) and then swap the phone number. Is that still viable or will you lose unlimited in the process?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

axeil posted:

Ah okay thanks. Also I remember there used to be a trick where you could upgrade a different line (I'm on a family plan) and then swap the phone number. Is that still viable or will you lose unlimited in the process?

It still works. If another phone on your family plan has an upgrade. Use the upgrade on that line. Then once the new phone is activated on the line that has the upgrade swap the old phone back on. Now the new phone isn't on any line. Now just swap your phone with the new phone on your unlimited line.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

axeil posted:

If I want to keep unlimited I need to buy a phone off contract correct? How do I go about doing that? Additionally is there any indication the HTC One will be coming to Verizon? I'm not really impressed with either flagship smartphone option Verizon has right now.

Why are you not impressed with the S4? It beats the HTC One in some regards and about ties in others. There have been rumors but nothing official that the One might come to VZ. Once it is confirmed it will still probably be a month or two. If you want a current flagship on VZ right now it's pretty much the S4, Note2, Razr Max HD iPhone 5, and for giggles Droid DNA.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So I moved to Ohio and now we have utter poo poo service. What would be the best way to either A) get them to give me a discount or B) get out of my contract and switch over to t-mobile and save $90 a month. Is there any way to 'trade' phones from cdma to gsm, or will I basically have try and sell my current phone on ebay and buy the equivalent gsm?

Ideally B) if I can easily swap phones.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mr. Crow posted:

So I moved to Ohio and now we have utter poo poo service. What would be the best way to either A) get them to give me a discount or B) get out of my contract and switch over to t-mobile and save $90 a month. Is there any way to 'trade' phones from cdma to gsm, or will I basically have try and sell my current phone on ebay and buy the equivalent gsm?

Ideally B) if I can easily swap phones.

If you have unlimited data you can sell your line to somebody else.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Don Lapre posted:

I used to, lost it when my wife got onto my line and now we have the wonderful "share everything" plan.

In hindsight I probably should have sold that and just got a new one. I never used that much data. Oh well.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Stick100 posted:

Why are you not impressed with the S4? It beats the HTC One in some regards and about ties in others. There have been rumors but nothing official that the One might come to VZ. Once it is confirmed it will still probably be a month or two. If you want a current flagship on VZ right now it's pretty much the S4, Note2, Razr Max HD iPhone 5, and for giggles Droid DNA.

Oh the GS4 is a very nice phone, don't get me wrong. The One looks to have a far superior camera and given how atrocious the Galaxy Nexus camera is that would be a nice upgrade. I'm also not a big fan of TouchWiz as I hated it when I had a Droid Charge about 2 years ago.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to upgrade or not, I'd really like to know when Motorola's phones for this year were coming out so I could make an informed decision. But it looks like no one knows anything except for that rumored "X-Phone" which is only on ATT&T according to all the leaks. Last time I bought a smartphone in the summer I got a Droid Charge and that was well...the Droid Charge. :smith:

Seems like the Android market is at least a little bit better now than it was 2 years ago though. Verizon never even got the Galaxy S2.

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 16, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

Oh the GS4 is a very nice phone, don't get me wrong. The One looks to have a far superior camera and given how atrocious the Galaxy Nexus camera is that would be a nice upgrade. I'm also not a big fan of TouchWiz as I hated it when I had a Droid Charge about 2 years ago.

I just got a HTC One through work and I will tell you that if you aren't a big fan of touch wiz, you will hate what HTC has done to their drat phones. It's less bloat than their older ones but the tweaks they make to android are just infuriatingly stupid. I would take a S4 over a One any day.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I just got a HTC One through work and I will tell you that if you aren't a big fan of touch wiz, you will hate what HTC has done to their drat phones. It's less bloat than their older ones but the tweaks they make to android are just infuriatingly stupid. I would take a S4 over a One any day.

Oh. :smith:

Well maybe I'll get a GS4 then. Although now I'm hearing how it has very little storage space. My Nexus is using around 16GB right now and that is more storage space than the GS4.

Maybe I'll just tough it out until there's more phones available or there's a larger GS4.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

axeil posted:

Oh. :smith:

Well maybe I'll get a GS4 then. Although now I'm hearing how it has very little storage space. My Nexus is using around 16GB right now and that is more storage space than the GS4.

Maybe I'll just tough it out until there's more phones available or there's a larger GS4.

They have the Note 8 if you want something larger than the GS4.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

They have the Note 8 if you want something larger than the GS4.

Ah sorry by larger I meant larger storage space. I think Samsung is planning on releasing 32 and 64GB versions. The 32GB version should be fine as that's what I have now and I've got plenty of space.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

axeil posted:

Ah sorry by larger I meant larger storage space. I think Samsung is planning on releasing 32 and 64GB versions. The 32GB version should be fine as that's what I have now and I've got plenty of space.

I has a microSD slot doesn't it? buy a 32/64bit microsd card and stick it in the 16gb.

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010
My almost 3 year old HTC Incredible 1 is about to bite the dust and I need to get a new phone. I currently have unlimited data and want to keep it. A friend of mine is getting a new phone and is willing to give me her S3 for cheap. (It's a verizon phone with a 4G sim.) Is it possible for me to swap in her phone? I know I won't get access to 4G speeds, but will I still be able to use her phone with my unlimited data plan and 3G?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I has a microSD slot doesn't it? buy a 32/64bit microsd card and stick it in the 16gb.

Yes it does, you should be able to buy a 32gb for like $30. There was a rumor that Samsung was eating SD cards but it turned out that the SD cards just sucked but the only people that noticed were users of Samsung phones.

I'm a fan of AOSP and touchwiz looks like poo poo but doesn't piss me off. LG's is fine but HTC's customization drove me up a wall.

I like some of the touchwiz changes like the toggles and most of the offensive issues can be fixed without a rom.

The S4 is the only real Android option that significantly adds to Android with all of the motion / other touchwiz changes. You might hate them but they are almost all easily disabled.

If you want a flagship on VZ right now you want a S4 or Note 2.

Also it's a subjective toss up between the HTC One and S4 for camera performance. HTC One takes better pictures in the dark S4 takes better pictures when it's bright.

The unlock button on the One would drive me crazy.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 16, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

the real blah posted:

My almost 3 year old HTC Incredible 1 is about to bite the dust and I need to get a new phone. I currently have unlimited data and want to keep it. A friend of mine is getting a new phone and is willing to give me her S3 for cheap. (It's a verizon phone with a 4G sim.) Is it possible for me to swap in her phone? I know I won't get access to 4G speeds, but will I still be able to use her phone with my unlimited data plan and 3G?

Wha...huh? If you buy her phone from her and just put it on your account you'll get to keep your unlimited data AND get 4G speeds.

When you get the phone just go down to the Verizon store and ask for a 4G sim. They usually hand them out free.

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Wha...huh? If you buy her phone from her and just put it on your account you'll get to keep your unlimited data AND get 4G speeds.

When you get the phone just go down to the Verizon store and ask for a 4G sim. They usually hand them out free.

OK, cool. I did not know that. I just thought that since Verizon was trying to force people off unlimited data with 4G that it wouldn't be allowed or something. I don't really follow this stuff.

the real blah fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Don Lapre posted:

What's the process for this? Also, will I be able to keep my phone number if I do? When my contract is up I plan on porting it to Google Voice and going pre-paid.

• Locked thread