Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I tried listening to Windows Weekly this week and it is just a terrible podcast. Its like thurrot and Mary Jo Foley are completely incapable of participating in group dialogue and it just sounds like Leo is a teacher awkwardly guiding them through the class discussion for 2 hours.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

anthonypants posted:

yeah, but what do they know

enough to use os x, the world's best personal computer operating system

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I did a stupid drunk voice recording reading thurrott the other night. does yospos want it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PleasureKevin posted:

I did a stupid drunk voice recording reading thurrott the other night. does yospos want it

yeah

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

carry on then posted:

the vast majority of os x users, actually
youre probably right

i never liked how much space the dock eats up at the bottom of the screen even if you set it to auto hide

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i actually like the dock and leave it visible on the bottom of the screen. it's a good reminder of "hey you've got a bunch of stuff paged out to swap, maybe you might want to quit some of it"

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i took sniep's recommendation of putting it on the side and it owns

autohide in osx is also really nice because you also don't have apps turn orange and set the dock/taskbar to not autohide ever until you look at it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

there were good operating systems back when but you usually needed an $8000+ workstation to use them. even when good operating systems like NeXTStep got ported to x86 they still needed 16 megs of ram which would have doubled the cost of most systems back then.

$8,000 bought you a really top-notch windows PC, or a really low-end UNIX workstation. either way, 16 MB of RAM.

unfortunately 16 MB of RAM isn't enough to run UNIX and a gui shell acceptably. your 16 MB workstation takes 20 minutes to boot swaps constantly. the windows machine flies, every click responds instantly.

your unix workstation had literally 5x the CPU power (compare a 100 MHz MIPS to a 33 MHz 486. it's not even close) but it doesn't matter because the memory requirements are obscene. your disk swapping is the sound of windows winning the desktop

p.s. nextstep/osx is included in the unix gang. running it in 16 MB is practically impossible.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

:laffo: windows was a lovely gui on top of dos until nt came along.

this is technically true but not important to developers or users

windows provided an API to write multitasking GUI applications on dos, support copy/paste, and actually have everything work together. this was so self-evidently useful to developres and users that the lovely technical underpinnings didn't matter very much

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I tried listening to Windows Weekly this week and it is just a terrible podcast. Its like thurrot and Mary Jo Foley are completely incapable of participating in group dialogue and it just sounds like Leo is a teacher awkwardly guiding them through the class discussion for 2 hours.

windows, weakly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PleasureKevin posted:

Beeftweeter posted:

windows, weakly

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

minivanmegafun posted:

i actually like the dock and leave it visible on the bottom of the screen. it's a good reminder of "hey you've got a bunch of stuff paged out to swap, maybe you might want to quit some of it"
i am v. good about quitting apps when im done so that doesnt really happen for me but my wife leaves the dock visible just for that reason

Phoenixan posted:

i took sniep's recommendation of putting it on the side and it owns

autohide in osx is also really nice because you also don't have apps turn orange and set the dock/taskbar to not autohide ever until you look at it
yeah agreed on all of this

i throw it on the left and have a pair of working desktops and a couple full screened apps to the right of that the docks there if i need it but between exposé and mission control i just swipe to what i need never really using the dock

also b/c i started using os x under lion i use launchpad unironically which i know is not pro but i actually like it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

eschaton posted:

enough to use os x, the world's best personal computer operating system

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

i dunno whats its pleasure quotient kevin

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

theadder posted:

i dunno whats its pleasure quotient kevin

worthy of the yoscast I pray

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

p.s. nextstep/osx is included in the unix gang. running it in 16 MB is practically impossible.
it was even more fun because those first nexts would swap out to...not a hard drive, but a magneto-optical disc cartridge

you swapped out to a weird off-brand early cd-rw prototype

apple was really lucky that jobs burned through most of his dumbest ideas before before returning to take control in 1997

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I think he was showing off at that time

pram
Jun 10, 2001

FMguru posted:

it was even more fun because those first nexts would swap out to...not a hard drive, but a magneto-optical disc cartridge

you swapped out to a weird off-brand early cd-rw prototype

apple was really lucky that jobs burned through most of his dumbest ideas before before returning to take control in 1997

lol i forgot about this. i think the idea was you could carry your entire system/files with you

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i've tried to put the dock on the side but it just feels right on the bottom

but now i have a retina macbook so if i need more space i can just crank the resolution up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

left dock auto hide supremacy

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

pram posted:

lol i forgot about this. i think the idea was you could carry your entire system/files with you

the only experience i have w/ magneto-optical discs is that they are apparently very popular and important in raccoon city

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
remember mini discs?

Boy they would have been great for data storage before useb sticks became a thing

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

MO discs were still in os x for a while, that's what the "beachball" is supposed to be.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

little drum I had forgotten about you

where are you now little drum

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the ash heap of history

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qntm posted:

little drum I had forgotten about you

where are you now little drum

where it belongs

:downsrim:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i always think when i see the little drum again that it is quite sinister

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

LastInLine posted:

who the gently caress doesnt autohide the dock put it on the side and then just never use it ever? if i could turn off the dock i would

my nigga have you tried gnome 3

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

A Yolo Wizard posted:

WW is polished as gently caress compared to What The Tech, where Thurrott and some guy bitch for an hour about how they're not taken seriously

it basically dares you to watch it

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
oh my tech! Utah edition

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i have been going through my dropbox public folder for some ancient windows stuff

note: this is an actual theme ms developed

ms-developed bonus:

thats all it would do lol

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 19, 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Beeftweeter posted:

i have been going through my dropbox public folder for some ancient windows stuff

come on son what kinda windows 3.x theme is that??!?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sniep posted:

come on son what kinda windows 3.x theme is that??!?

sadly i dont think calmira is themeable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

the best part is that these things are hilariously unreliable

you could count on losing your files every 3 to 6 months

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

my syquest ezdrive was really, really reliable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beeftweeter posted:

i have actually browsed the forums with ie5 for solaris, many moons ago

i don't think there was any js back then

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

flakeloaf posted:

my syquest ezdrive was really, really reliable

syquest ezdrive was a hdd-in-a-cartridge, not magneto-optical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

syquest ezdrive was a hdd-in-a-cartridge, not magneto-optical

it could also be permanently destroyed if you did the ejection sequence incorrectly

media and drive heads

• Locked thread