Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Zodiac5000 posted:

Yeah, so instead of having a fight in space in the middle of an already long movie justifying why the 'Iron Fleet' or whatever didn't protect earth they just skip going down that path. Do you... have a problem with what I said or are you just being bizarrely condescending? I specifically said it would be boring. I think they did well with the Wakanda battle, having some weird fight against drones in the middle would be boring on its own *and* make the fight at the end worse. I only have so much tolerance for mooks in action scenes so I'm fine spending that time giving each of the characters something neat to do (war-machine carpet bomb is my particular highlight) and then transitioning focus to the minibosses to let the supporting cast shine. I don't think either of us wants the villains versus grey Iron Man x10,000 taking up 5 additional minutes of runtime.

Have the mooks fight other mooks and the villains that matter fight the heroes that matter.

Like most genre fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I'm amazed at the argument that it's bad writing because there isn't enough exposition.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I'm amazed at the argument that it's bad writing because there isn't enough exposition.

No is demanding more exposition.

Watchmen the movie for example showed pretty clearly that a world with superheroes and supervillains becomes a bizarre dystopia. Snyder later followed that to show in Man of Steel and BvS to show what a "land in need of heroes" is like.

Zodiac5000 posted:

He was participating in a fight where a man got paralyzed by a robot firing a laser. If you judge it by real-world ethics and not on comic book terms they're all darkly hilarious psychopaths of one degree or another. I agreed that it was dangerous to bring spider-man because it definitely was, but I can't really make a moral judgement on the characters because once you start you never stop and it all becomes meaningless. It would be horrifying if almost any part of the MCU existed in reality.

I think it was a great use of Spider-man and cool scene. Watching Iron Man have cars rain on him is hilarious and it was neat revisiting the scene in Homecoming as part of Pete's video logs with him narrating. My favorite part in the MCU might be Spidey effortlessly clowning on Falcon and Bucky while they get angrier and angrier. He no sells the metal arm that dictated the tempo of all Cap 2's fight scenes (Cap gets advantage in fight, metal arm forces him to dodge or block, putting in on back foot, repeat) in a very effective way to communicate Spidey's power-tier (Better than loving Falcon) without making him aggressive or malicious.

It seems that the problem isn't just that Marvel movies avoid reality, but that you do too. You parse fiction in terms of power levels.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 10, 2018

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

*nods sagely* his piles, right?

That's clearly Texas.

Chieves fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 10, 2018

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It seems that the problem isn't just that Marvel movies avoid reality, but that you do too. You parse fiction in terms of power levels.

When watching fiction that is primarily concerned with spectacle I kinda do, I suppose. Not sure why this is avoiding reality (pro tip: Spider-Man isn't real) and you aren't really giving me much to engage with even if I assume you are interested in talking, but your rap sheet and and posts so far doesn't give me hope for that. So far you've bitched about my analogy when I tried to talk to you and accused me of ignoring reality because I described the Infinity War like a kung fu movie after I moved on from you, so I'm going to assume the landmine I noted earlier is that you're a self-righteous jackass so high on your own farts that you can't tell the difference between your own dick and a straw. If it seems like you're being ignored going forward I swear its just me spending more time reflecting on how devastated I am that you don't approve of my consumption of fiction.

P.S. don't worry, I swear it's not just me putting you on ignore and moving on. It's totally that I'm devastated.

Free Triangle posted:

Which part's Florida?

I'm going to go with like... the back half of the ballsack? That seems about right for Florida.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

You parse fiction in terms of power levels.

What does this even mean?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't think anything in the MCU is necessarily badly written it's just all serviceable. You get from point A to point B with minimal plot holes. Thanos is written okay, his motivation is dumb and weird which is fine because he is a weird genocidal alien, but I wouldn't call that "good" writing if that's the case. It would be better written if his motivations were more compelling.

What's weird to me is this constant dance of people saying "Thanos is such a well written fleshed out character" which then gets challenged and the fallback argument is "well of course his motivation is weird and dumb because he's so goddamn crazy".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Any Marvel villain who lives to see the end of the movie is lauded in some way. Remember how crazy people got for Loki?

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't think anything in the MCU is necessarily badly written it's just all serviceable. You get from point A to point B with minimal plot holes. Thanos is written okay, his motivation is dumb and weird which is fine because he is a weird genocidal alien, but I wouldn't call that "good" writing if that's the case. It would be better written if his motivations were more compelling.

What's weird to me is this constant dance of people saying "Thanos is such a well written fleshed out character" which then gets challenged and the fallback argument is "well of course his motivation is weird and dumb because he's so goddamn crazy".

Why I think he's a good character is not because his plan is a good one, but more because I totally buy why HE thinks it's a good plan.

His planet was about to die
He offered a solution
He was told to gently caress off
His planet died.

That would have been traumatic as gently caress to go through. Which is why I think him being unstable is a valid argument to a degree. People in the real world don't always make the right or logical decision, and he watched everyone he knew and loved die. And there's probably also more than a touch of 'I'm going to prove I was right' It may be that Thanos HAS considered other options, but he doesn't give a poo poo because he's got a point to prove.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Why I think he's a good character is not because his plan is a good one, but more because I totally buy why HE thinks it's a good plan.

He offered a solution
His planet died.

That would have been traumatic as gently caress to go through. Which is why I think him being unstable is a valid argument to a degree. People in the real world don't always make the right or logical decision, and he watched everyone he knew and loved die. And there's probably also more than a touch of 'I'm going to prove I was right' It may be that Thanos HAS considered other options, but he doesn't give a poo poo because he's got a point to prove.

Yeah, Thanos has convinced himself that he has to be right, because if he's wrong, that means there was nothing he could have done to save his people- or even worse, something he didn't think of that could have saved them. And it means he was willing to kill all those people for nothing. He needs to prove to himself that it works because if it doesn't, he has nothing left

Of course, the whole thing with having nothing left is that he did it to himself. He's very desperate to be right

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What does this even mean?

Thinking that Spider-Man being part of the middle-heavy power tier (as explained in the Marvel Comics Encyclopedia) is characterization, like Zodiac5000 does.

He offered a solution
His planet died.

That just makes him a lamer version of General Zod from Man of Steel. That movie presents Zod's "solution" extensively with visuals and dialogue and why he's sticking to it.

Thanos's basic characterization, as you describe it, as that he's a un-charismatic fascist with poor planning skills. Nobody liked his plans on his home planet, and he's apparently unaware of any alternative solutions.

Zod's characterization is that he's a charismatic fascist with functional planning skills. He had substantial following on his home planet, and he's perfecetly aware of alternative solutions but finds them unworkable/heresy. He's automatically a more impressive villain.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 10, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Maybe if you ignore the dumbass haircut

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2avXbTFsXBc

e:

The thing that sums up how absolutely badly people are defending Thanos's characterization is that they can't quote a single line or scene from the movie to illustrate how Desperate He Is To Prove He Was Right.

Even that guy who was claiming that Thor calling Hulk "the stupid avenger" was the most emotionally searing moment in blockbuster cinema had a scene on which he based his nonsense.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 10, 2018

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

people don't need to pass a Nerd Test by reciting dialogue for you to have opinions about a character in a movie. this isn't a college essay or whatever

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sea Lily posted:

people don't need to pass a Nerd Test by reciting dialogue for you to have opinions about a character in a movie. this isn't a college essay or whatever

Then you can refer to the visuals.

But if referring to the visuals is also too much of a bother, what exactly is there left to discuss except the casting and marketing of the sequel?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Zodiac5000 posted:

I am not an expert on writing, and context cues indicate that I am stepping on some sort of landmine by engaging with you, but is not wanting to explore a specific subset of ramifications equivalent to not being interested in any ramifications when evaluating writing? It seems it would be tedious if all aspects of an idea or concept introduced in a book or film needed to be explored if you brought the concept up, but I guess that's a novel approach I hadn't considered. Like if in the middle of a book on tactics in the Vietnam war there was a sudden three page swerve into the greenhouse emissions of the propellant in M16 bullets or something, wouldn't that probably be a "what, why?" moment to most folks? If I mis-stated my thoughts and you got the indication that I didn't think they were interested in any ramifications I apologize, it might have been more obvious to me as I was writing my posts than it was on the page.

You're right that it would be silly to demand the series or any movie focus on any one idea, like demanding a trilogy about the implications of free energy or whatever, but I don't think anyone is doing that. Rather, it would be cool if the series chockablock with space ships, artificial intelligences, nanotechnology, and other sci-fi concepts was interested in any of it. They can pick what they give a poo poo about, but it would be potentially compelling if they picked something in addition to just the melodramatic squabbles of a couple dozen people.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I don't know, I think it's very rare for a movie to have a villain who thinks he's right and everyone else is wrong.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That still doesn’t make a lick of sense.

Let’s say Thanos messed up a math question and claimed “2+2=22” in grade school, then everyone laughed at him. After this traumatic experience he endeavoured to obtain god-power and change the entire structure of the universe so that 2+2 actually does equal 22. (We can even add some kind of sunk-cost thing where he’s been stabbing puppies for years thinking that it will fix math (“I cut each puppy into 11 pieces! See?! Each 2 contains 22 inside of it!”))

In any case, using a ‘time-gem’ would obviously create a paradox where Thanos was retroactively never wrong to begin with, so nobody laughed at him and he was never traumatized, so he never sought the god-power. Also, in a broader sense, this would cause the universe to have never existed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The thing that sums up how absolutely badly people are defending Thanos's characterization is that they can't quote a single line or scene from the movie to illustrate how Desperate He Is To Prove He Was Right.
the scene where he talks about titan

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Then you can refer to the visuals.

But if referring to the visuals is also too much of a bother, what exactly is there left to discuss except the casting and marketing of the sequel?

the movie and the characters and the story?

which is what has been happening mostly

im sorry people don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of every line of dialogue and shot in the film for you to go "Debate Me!!!" about and force them to Prove Their Truthfulness And Honor

Irony Be My Shield posted:

yeah that scene established it all, pretty upfront about how he felt I think

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

What in particular about that scene?

e:

Sea Lily posted:

the movie and the characters and the story?

which is what has been happening mostly

im sorry people don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of every line of dialogue and shot in the film for you to go "Debate Me!!!" about and force them to Prove Their Truthfulness And Honor

People are praising the characterization of Thanos. Eventually they'll have to refer to some concrete visuals or scripting that inform his character..

Like yeah, the character certainly Believes That He's Right, we've established that. What distinguishes him from countless other characters that also Believe That They're Right?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 10, 2018

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Sir Kodiak posted:

You're right that it would be silly to demand the series or any movie focus on any one idea, like demanding a trilogy about the implications of free energy or whatever, but I don't think anyone is doing that. Rather, it would be cool if the series chockablock with space ships, artificial intelligences, nanotechnology, and other sci-fi concepts was interested in any of it. They can pick what they give a poo poo about, but it would be potentially compelling if they picked something in addition to just the melodramatic squabbles of a couple dozen people.

What do they need to do to show that they are interested in spaceships and space travel other than set movies in space where people do space-related things? How do they need to display an interest in artificial intelligence besides dedicate an entire movie's premise to a rogue AI and have a major supporting castmember in the recent couple movies be an AI? I don't know how to explore the implications of Tony's technology or Rocket's repairing spraypaint gun or the infinity stones to the common world without literally destroying modern society and replacing it with Star Trek utopia. When you say you want to see more interest in "Infinite Free Energy" I am at a loss to how that is a request compatible with "CG Action Comedy set on/around regular earth but starring superheroes" because a world with infinite free energy is by definition not the regular world.

They have clearly chosen not to focus on the "hard" sci-fi aspects of the universe and their logical impacts and they absolutely do lean into melodrama. I do understand your frustration if you want something more... profound or impactful to the MCU? That's sort of what the whole "Explore these concepts" thing is about, am I reading it right or missing the boat on that? That by their very existence these people and technologies should be shattering societies and radically changing the world (although they got something like that with Ultron leading to the Sokovian accords, I guess. That's wouldn't really be enough for me if I were looking for that though.). In BvS it showed all these scenes of people like Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about how superman was a paradigm shift for the whole planet and what have you. Getting over the "How are all of you talking about protecting the world when I could feed them all with my robots" hump is tough for me sometimes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zodiac5000 posted:

What do they need to do to show that they are interested in spaceships and space travel other than set movies in space where people do space-related things? How do they need to display an interest in artificial intelligence besides dedicate an entire movie's premise to a rogue AI and have a major supporting castmember in the recent couple movies be an AI? I don't know how to explore the implications of Tony's technology or Rocket's repairing spraypaint gun or the infinity stones to the common world without literally destroying modern society and replacing it with Star Trek utopia. When you say you want to see more interest in "Infinite Free Energy" I am at a loss to how that is a request compatible with "CG Action Comedy set on/around regular earth but starring superheroes" because a world with infinite free energy is by definition not the regular world.

This isn't hard. Fifth Element, a comic book action comedy movie set on earth but with superheroes, bases a chase scene on the idea of flying cars being ubiquitous.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 10, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

There is a persistent issue in the MCU where all of the main characters exist firmly in it, but for all intents and purposes the actual world itself is meant to reflect “our” reality. And if your conflicts are small, isolated events, you can get away without addressing that. But like, aliens invaded New York City. A space whale crashed into Grand Central Station. The non-reactivity of the world to that event alone is higher fantasy than a man wearing a robot suit or a kid crawling on walls.

My chief complaint here is that the entire MCU brand is built on this idea that all of these films in some way matter. Like at this point if you’ve seen every entry, it’s an investment. But you’re being asked to invest in a carrot. Why is it supposed to be shocking to me that we see regular people turn to ash in the after credits sequence of Infinity War? It’s a bit galling to ask to view it as a this epic tragedy when the MCU treats the civilians of its universe as an afterthought.

You can do subtle worldbuilding. You can do worldbuilding with the price on a gas station marquee. Peter Parker spends a fair amount of time in bodegas in Homecoming, plenty of room to sneak in some visual exposition there. Hell, does the school itself have an Alien Invasion Safety Shelter? I don’t know! But after half of the city skyline is turned to coleslaw by space monsters, you think it might be a possibility.

I mean, we still have to take our shoes off at the airport.

Edit: weirdly, the clearest example of world reactivity in the MCU is the Captain America video in Homecoming. Its existence implies there was production, a script, a whole crew to create it. And superheroes are apparently now so ubiquitous they can bang out a series of Knowledge Is Half The Battle skits in a day where they aren’t fighting death androids or whatever. Also, the kids are like, bored of it. That’s the closest lens we get on how the world has reacted to this new era.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 10, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fart City posted:

There is a persistent issue in the MCU where all of the main characters exist firmly in it, but for all intents and purposes the actual world itself is meant to reflect “our” reality. And if your conflicts are small, isolated events, you can get away without addressing that. But like, aliens invaded New York City. A space whale crashed into Grand Central Station. The non-reactivity of the world to that event alone is higher fantasy than a man wearing a robot suit or a kid crawling on walls.

My chief complaint here is that the entire MCU brand is built on this idea that all of these films in some way matter. Like at this point if you’ve seen every entry, it’s an investment. But you’re being asked to invest in a carrot. Why is it supposed to be shocking to me that we see regular people turn to ash in the after credits sequence of Infinity War? It’s a bit galling to ask to view it as a this epic tragedy when the MCU treats the civilians of its universe as an afterthought.

You can do subtle worldbuilding. You can do worldbuilding with the price on a gas station marquee. Peter Parker spends a fair amount of time in bodegas in Homecoming, plenty of room to sneak in some visual exposition there. Hell, does the school itself have an Alien Invasion Safety Shelter? I don’t know! But after half of the city skyline is turned to coleslaw by space monsters, you think it might be a possibility.

I mean, we still have to take our shoes off at the airport.

this is one of the many problems the MCU has inherited from its source material by emulating the big extended universe canon idea; both marvel and dc's comic universes need the world to continue being Just Like Ours but at the same time also have magic and aliens and ancient gods and superscience all out in the open with next to no thought as to how any one of those would change society on an insane scale

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Brother Entropy posted:

this is one of the many problems the MCU has inherited from its source material by emulating the big extended universe canon idea; both marvel and dc's comic universes need the world to continue being Just Like Ours but at the same time also have magic and aliens and ancient gods and superscience all out in the open with next to no thought as to how any one of those would change society on an insane scale

Yeah, exactly. And while I recognize that the issue is a symptom of the genre, it’s still mind blowing that there is zero issue made of things like Thor and Loki walking around NYC in Ragnarok. Like a passerby stops to take a selfie with Thor while completely ignoring Alien Osama bin Laden standing right next to him. Is Marvel Studios seriously suggesting that Loki’s identity is a secret or something? He was flying around the city on a scooter!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

Thanos: Titan was like most planets. Too many mouths, not enough to go around. And when we faced extinction, I offered a solution.

Dr. Stephen Strange: Genocide.

Thanos: At random. Dispassionate, fair to rich and poor alike. They called me a mad man. And what I predicted came to pass.

Dr. Stephen Strange: Congratulations, you're a prophet.

Thanos: I'm a survivor.
Here Thanos lays out exactly how he sees the issue: he identified a problem and proposed a solution for it. He was ridiculed for this solution, but no-one else came up with one that could save his planet. In his eyes, this vindicated him and showed that he was right.

Referring back to others calling him a "mad man" demonstrates that he's still sore about the whole thing, and has a point to prove. This is further supported by this line in the opening scene:

Thanos posted:

I know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail nonetheless. It’s frightening. Turns the legs to jelly. I ask you, to what end? Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same. And now, it's here. Or should I say, I am.
Again, he talks about when he was too weak to, as he saw it, save Titan. Now he's the strong one, so he can force his solution on everyone else. When he does, everyone will see how right he was all along, and be grateful for it.

quote:

Dr. Stephen Strange: And then what?

Thanos: I finally rest, and watch the sun rise on a grateful universe. The hardest choices require the strongest wills.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Fart City posted:

Edit: weirdly, the clearest example of world reactivity in the MCU is the Captain America video in Homecoming. Its existence implies there was production, a script, a whole crew to create it. And superheroes are apparently now so ubiquitous they can bang out a series of Knowledge Is Half The Battle skits in a day where they aren’t fighting death androids or whatever. Also, the kids are like, bored of it. That’s the closest lens we get on how the world has reacted to this new era.

Homecoming was "good" about this in general, but really I'd hesitate to say it was good at all. There are two ways to go about making a hard sci fi movie, I'd wager. You either take the 2001: a Space Odyssey or The Fifth Element approach, where you take great pains to build a realistic seeming universe and ground your script and visuals in that milieu, or you go with a Star Wars or ET approach where you exemplify the extra-ordinariness of the sci-fi element and try to imbue your movie with a sense of wonder.

Honestly, I think superhero movies that try for the latter approach tend to be much better than those that try for the former. Homecoming, by portraying the Avengers as brands, really de-emphasizes a lot of the interesting things you can do with visual and emotional language. The average person in Homecoming can have a relationship with the idea of superheroes as complex and nuanced as the one they might have with Peyton Manning, which is to say, not very interesting at all. Compare to Raimi's Spider-Man 2, where people's interactions with Spider-Man range from the comical ("Spider-Man stole that guy's pizza!") to the transcendent.

Infinity War tries to inject psychological realism to the idea of Thanos. What possibly could have motivated such a murderous figure, the movie wonders. At the same time, the movie wants to present Thanos as this unstoppable force of nature. He upends entire civilizations, he destroys giants! But these two approaches work at cross-purposes. You can't have an unstoppable force of nature who is at the same time pettily concerned with the stupidity of bureaucrats. We can't be properly intimidated or compelled by a character written like this.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Right, the Malthusian concept is wrapped up in the sympathetic portrayal of Thanos and this is something that influences characterisation throughout the movie - but importantly it’s how the underlying Malthusian notion is given ground. In order to give gravatas or whatever in service to his characterisation the basic premise - too many mouths, not enough to go round - is an accepted underlying assumption.

So the confrontation or conflict of the movie is largely concerned with how he plans to solve this problem, where the heroes won’t make the sacrifice, uh, play - in the sense of a blood offering on an alter to some deity.

Importantly this relates to how the world is presented and characterised. Since after Thanos snaps his fingers, instead of causing what should be an extinction level event on Earth, what’s actually shown is more of a weird Judgement Day fantasy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Here Thanos lays out exactly how he sees the issue: he identified a problem and proposed a solution for it. He was ridiculed for this solution, but no-one else came up with one that could save his planet. In his eyes, this vindicated him and showed that he was right.

Referring back to others calling him a "mad man" demonstrates that he's still sore about the whole thing, and has a point to prove. This is further supported by this line in the opening scene:
Again, he talks about when he was too weak to, as he saw it, save Titan. Now he's the strong one, so he can force his solution on everyone else. When he does, everyone will see how right he was all along, and be grateful for it.

Now that we have a concrete example, we can play close attention to how this dialogue is garbage.

For example, why does Dr. Strange think that Thanos is right?

quote:

Thanos: Titan was like most planets. Too many mouths, not enough to go around. And when we faced extinction, I offered a solution.

Dr. Stephen Strange: Genocide.

Thanos: At random. Dispassionate, fair to rich and poor alike. They called me a mad man. And what I predicted came to pass.

Dr. Stephen Strange: Congratulations, you're a prophet.

Thanos: I'm a survivor.

You can brush this off as sarcasm, but he's not sarcastic about Thanos's error, he's sarcastic about Thanos being right. If he wanted to say that Thanos was wrong, wouldn't he pick up on on Thanos being called a madman, or note his folly in presuming that his plan would have worked?

This is what happens when your idea of wit is having a character just say something sarcastically. As already pointed out, the heroes have no counter to Thanos. They're unable to argue against a plan that is immediately erroneous.

And getting to Thanos's characterization, it's very bad here. Just look at how weak his "I'm a survivor" comeback is. He's the sophisticated type, he should declare in response that no one is is a prophet in their homeland. Having him imagine himself a prophet of doom would be characterization.

quote:

I know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail nonetheless. It’s frightening. Turns the legs to jelly. I ask you, to what end? Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same. And now, it's here. Or should I say, I am.

Here you just have basic mistakes. Losing and failing despite knowing you're right isn't frightening. It doesn't turn your legs to jelly. The thought of failure is frightening, not failure itself.

So Thanos isn't characterized as someone who believes himself right no matter what. He's just lying.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 10, 2018

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, I find it weird how people apparently need to explicitly state "Genocide Is Bad!" to convey that they are in fact opposed to genocide, whatever the reason. They hear of Thanos' arrival and I'm not sure part of the characters even learn about his plans until Thanos tells them on Titan. Before that moment their mission statement was "We need to stop Thanos (because he is generically evil)" and after that it might as well have been "We need to stop Thanos (because he's evil and his plan is lovely)" but I'm not too broken up about Quill not quipping this to Tony.

Recent discussions about 300 have led me to believe that unless people emphatically state that actions like genocide ,or throwing babies off cliffs, is bad people will absolutely see this as an endorsement of genocide (or throwing babies of cliffs). However the issue here isn't that Thanos's argument isn't verbally rebuffed by the heroes, or that the movie somehow doesn't denounce genocide, but rather that the movie implicitly agreeing with him because his approach has apparently worked. This then implies his dumb idea that the problem is overpopulation is proven correct, when any idiot can tell you that the real problem is that the rich are vastly overconsuming resources. The real problem then suddenly becomes that them foreign people in poor countries breeding like rabbits, see?
It's further compounded because Thanos is seen as the protagonist of the movie and is portrayed as a man who "has the will necessary to make the hard decisions". It almost admires him for having the moral fortitude to make this selfless sacrifice for the benefit of allkind, and nowhere is this more obvious than the comparisons between Thanos and Cincinnatus.

brawleh posted:

Right, the Malthusian concept is wrapped up in the sympathetic portrayal of Thanos and this is something that influences characterisation throughout the movie - but importantly it’s how the underlying Malthusian notion is given ground. In order to give gravatas or whatever in service to his characterisation the basic premise - too many mouths, not enough to go round - is an accepted underlying assumption.

So the confrontation or conflict of the movie is largely concerned with how he plans to solve this problem, where the heroes won’t make the sacrifice, uh, play - in the sense of a blood offering on an alter to some deity.

Importantly this relates to how the world is presented and characterised. Since after Thanos snaps his fingers, instead of causing what should be an extinction level event on Earth, what’s actually shown is more of a weird Judgement Day fantasy.

Right, exactly.
As an aside, the "sacrifice play" theme (what a dumb term) is asinine because again it implies that the heroes are too weak willed to make the correct decision (sacrifice the few for the many), which is daft because the heroes have been happy to throw themselves on the proverbial grenade before.

Regarding the worldbuilding discussion, compare MCU to BvS. In 1 sequel Snyder managed to do more worldbuilding than MCU did in 17. They have no excuse to have made so little effort, and honestly it's just sloppy. It's a universe where humanity has technology like free energy, nanobots, shrinking technology and who knows what else, and they're still in the same boring world we are. That implies that the "heroes" of MCU are just hoarding all their goodies and refuse to let the unwashed masses benefit from the genius of their hero overlords.

And they call Snyder objectivist.

Edit: Also, I have no idea who bought me an avatar, but thanks!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
And let's recall how the scene plays in motion through a crappy youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM-DoO84Sf4&t=64s

The best part is how Thanos declares that his homeworld was beautiful, and it looks the same as the ultra-banal, boring-rear end planet the Guardians of the Galaxy defended.

Compare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsNjYQMPA1o

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Thinking that Spider-Man being part of the middle-heavy power tier (as explained in the Marvel Comics Encyclopedia) is characterization, like Zodiac5000 does.

That just makes him a lamer version of General Zod from Man of Steel. That movie presents Zod's "solution" extensively with visuals and dialogue and why he's sticking to it.

Thanos's basic characterization, as you describe it, as that he's a un-charismatic fascist with poor planning skills. Nobody liked his plans on his home planet, and he's apparently unaware of any alternative solutions.

Zod's characterization is that he's a charismatic fascist with functional planning skills. He had substantial following on his home planet, and he's perfecetly aware of alternative solutions but finds them unworkable/heresy. He's automatically a more impressive villain.

I honestly don't give a poo poo one way or the other about Zod or Man of Steel. If I did I'd be in a different thread.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

pospysyl posted:

Homecoming was "good" about this in general, but really I'd hesitate to say it was good at all. There are two ways to go about making a hard sci fi movie, I'd wager. You either take the 2001: a Space Odyssey or The Fifth Element approach, where you take great pains to build a realistic seeming universe and ground your script and visuals in that milieu, or you go with a Star Wars or ET approach where you exemplify the extra-ordinariness of the sci-fi element and try to imbue your movie with a sense of wonder.

Honestly, I think superhero movies that try for the latter approach tend to be much better than those that try for the former. Homecoming, by portraying the Avengers as brands, really de-emphasizes a lot of the interesting things you can do with visual and emotional language. The average person in Homecoming can have a relationship with the idea of superheroes as complex and nuanced as the one they might have with Peyton Manning, which is to say, not very interesting at all. Compare to Raimi's Spider-Man 2, where people's interactions with Spider-Man range from the comical ("Spider-Man stole that guy's pizza!") to the transcendent.

Infinity War tries to inject psychological realism to the idea of Thanos. What possibly could have motivated such a murderous figure, the movie wonders. At the same time, the movie wants to present Thanos as this unstoppable force of nature. He upends entire civilizations, he destroys giants! But these two approaches work at cross-purposes. You can't have an unstoppable force of nature who is at the same time pettily concerned with the stupidity of bureaucrats. We can't be properly intimidated or compelled by a character written like this.

There’s a kind of beautiful irony that the over saturation of superheroes within the MCU has robbed the concept of mysticism or wonder to the average civilian. Like the idea of there being a kind of superhero bubble within the Marvel Cinematic Universe itself is hilarious.

But I do think it says a lot that in ten years and god knows how many movies, the most direct insight we’ve gotten into what it’s like to live in-universe comes from a gag. It just reinforces the idea that Marvel wants he audience to be more invested in the MCU as a brand or concept than the actual setting itself.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I honestly don't give a poo poo one way or the other about Zod or Man of Steel. If I did I'd be in a different thread.

If you're trying to argue that Thanos is a well-written character, why do you object comparing him to similar characters?

Imagine if some people were talking about Rorschach from Watchmen, and someone declared that they don't care about Mr. A and if they wanted to discuss Mr. A they'd be in a different thread.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Fart City posted:

Except the school staff acknowledge that the man in the video is now an enemy of the state, and have done nothing to replace the tape or even just stop showing the video. It’s a lovely lampshade to shove in a cameo.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Pirate Jet posted:

Except the school staff acknowledge that the man in the video is now an enemy of the state, and have done nothing to replace the tape or even just stop showing the video. It’s a lovely lampshade to shove in a cameo.

Oh I didn’t say it wasn’t broke-brained. It’s just the clearest example we’ve gotten of what it’s like to live in the MCU as a plebe.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We also know Thanos is full of poo poo because starvation doesn't throw a planet off it's axis.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

The rest of the film is dire enough that the best we can hope for is the clumsiest, most straightforward method of conveying the information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

We also know Thanos is full of poo poo because starvation doesn't throw a planet off it's axis.

Climate change caused the Syrian Civil War.