Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Maybe Tactics is just a bad game and gets more hype than it deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No poo poo you're set up to lose. It wouldn't be a challenge if you weren't. You're mistaking "this was too difficult for me to beat on the first attempt" with unfairness, which imho is pretty childish.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Weigraf is definitely a difficulty spike, and the fact that you can get softlocked into that fight is complete bullshit, but I don't know if I'd necessarily argue ithe fight itself is unfair. It encourages you to try different things, use different strategies, try different equipment...assuming you have an extra save and aren't stuck on it, of course. Outside that idiotic piece of game design, I don't think Weigraf is really as bad as, say, the Execution Site or even Dorter Trade City, where you have significantly fewer tools to work with.

However Riovanes Rooftop is complete bullshit since you're at the mercy of the poo poo AI unless you actively try to exploit the programming, and in general FFT has very poor gameplay balance overall. So really I guess I'm being pedantic here.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Saint Freak posted:

A Yeul that platinumed Knack 2
A Yeul that could do that whistle thing where you put both fingers in your mouth
A Yeul that was allergic to circus peanuts. Not like real peanuts, but those orange confectionery ones from the candy store that they call 'circus peanuts' because they kinda look like peanuts I guess but they usually just look like orange blobs.

A Yuel who expected an FF7R release date

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bregor posted:

A Yuel who expected an FF7R release date

So that's why Caius is immortal.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Riovanes is definitely a big difficulty spike that expects more system mastery than anything before it, but I wouldn't say the Belias fight is unfair. The rooftop fight, yes, absolutely, it's bullshit and poorly-designed. The game allowing you to trap yourself at Riovanes Castle is poor design. The fight with Belias itself is just a straight up slugfest that you can beat with any party with a coherent strategy, he and his friends just do a lot of damage. Bring tools to sandbag (ideally Item and a bunch of phoenix downs) if your team is getting owned and try not to bunch up for aoes.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

No poo poo you're set up to lose. It wouldn't be a challenge if you weren't. You're mistaking "this was too difficult for me to beat on the first attempt" with unfairness, which imho is pretty childish.

Oh shut up. I don't throw around "unfair" and "bad design" loosely and I hate it when people do.

That specific fight is not meant to be beaten with a conventional fight like most of the rest of the game. You literally can't beat it without a cheesy strat that basically abuses system mechanics when that was never a thing before.

FFT is my favorite game of all time but that fight really is badly designed and unfair for no good reason.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
On the bright side, Weigraf/Belias is the last big roadblock battle in the game. Nothing is near that challenging again besides potentially one end-game battle, and by that time you'll have a unit that's so powerful that they alone will eliminate any difficulty curve left over.

(And even that unit is not really that powerful compared to some of the crazy poo poo you can do once you get a deeper understanding of the game mechanics, but that character requires no real effort to break the game in half so they're still nice to have).

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

If "unfair" is the right word or not is a boring semantic discussion i'm not going to engage in. But the Riovanes sequence is such a sudden leap in difficulty it feels like I just got hustled. It's just not enjoyable.
Most of the battles can be won (or lost) during the actual battle, while this one is extremely dependent on selecting the right job, equipment and abilities before the battle even starts. And since the deck is so stacked against you there's a very limited amount of combination that works. You might not even have any levels in proper job for Ramza to deal with it.
On a general level I don't think setting up a situation where you're telling the player to go grind and come back later is good design either. And the whole Riovanes sequence feels like that. I don't mind a challenge, but it's a bit much all over.
Anyway, I'm done with it. The rooftop fight only took two tries thanks to dumb luck mainly.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Maybe Tactics is just a bad game and gets more hype than it deserves.

Eh, maybe. But there's still too much good stuff in the game for me to just outright call it bad. Just the soundtrack makes it worth playing.

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 27, 2018

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I will say that I think that strategy games shouldn't require you to have foresight of the battle in order to win. You should be able to beat it by thinking about tactics at the battle's outset, and not only after you lose and learn. But that's just me.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Alxprit posted:

I will say that I think that strategy games shouldn't require you to have foresight of the battle in order to win. You should be able to beat it by thinking about tactics at the battle's outset, and not only after you lose and learn. But that's just me.

I agree, and most games in the genre follow this rule. At least the ones I've played. FFT kinda ignores this often.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i really enjoyed fft 1.3, which is very hard, but, one thing it's missing (and one thing that would really be helpful in some of the maps that can blindside a player in vanilla) would just be the ability to look at the enemy formation/loadout before the battle actually started, so you could adjust your squad accordingly. you're going to know what the enemy's got eventually anyway so they might as well just tell you from the outset.
most of the time it doesnt really matter because they forgot to give the enemies skills

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Snow did nothing wrong

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Mediator/Monk Ramza is best Ramza

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

i really enjoyed fft 1.3, which is very hard, but, one thing it's missing (and one thing that would really be helpful in some of the maps that can blindside a player in vanilla) would just be the ability to look at the enemy formation/loadout before the battle actually started, so you could adjust your squad accordingly. you're going to know what the enemy's got eventually anyway so they might as well just tell you from the outset.
most of the time it doesnt really matter because they forgot to give the enemies skills

Yeah, you start every battle with selecting and positioning your troops, but it's done on grey tiles in a void so it's just kind of a gamble if it's a smart move or not. It's rare that it actually matters that much in figths though.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just got rinoa and she's level 11 where the rest of my group is under 10. Will this gently caress up my enemy levels if I'm trying to fight level 1-9 mobs?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Wait, is wiegriff/belias before or after the rooftops? Because the rooftops are more BS than goatman.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The rooftops is more just RNG. I beat it several times before I knew the "tricks" without issue, and didn't know why so many people complained about it. Weigraf/Belias is just balls-hard.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I beat Riovanes by letting my ninja rush up to him and attack. Worked on the second try. :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My favorite is when Refia walks up to the guy, punches him in the face, and gets countered to death.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Does anyone have a cliffsnotes version of the important details of Kingsglaive that I would want to know for FFXV? I just got to the fall of insomnia if it matters.

Everything I've read/ heard points to that movie being garbage so I'm fine with the broad strokes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

The rooftops is more just RNG. I beat it several times before I knew the "tricks" without issue, and didn't know why so many people complained about it. Weigraf/Belias is just balls-hard.

My experience is exactly the opposite. Weigraf/belias is sooooo easy. Slap on Auto-Potion, Yell/Accumulate for ever, kill Weigraf in one punch and Belias before he can even move. But doing well on the Riovanes Rooftop mission requires you either to understand precisely what the victory conditions are and how to achieve them, or get really lucky with your loadout. There are some very specific abilities that make that mission very easy if you have them by accident.

PantsBandit posted:

Does anyone have a cliffsnotes version of the important details of Kingsglaive that I would want to know for FFXV? I just got to the fall of insomnia if it matters.

Everything I've read/ heard points to that movie being garbage so I'm fine with the broad strokes.

it's no worse than advent children. basically the important things are: lunafreya's brother ravus puts on the ring of the lucii, which burns off his arm. before he dies, king regis gives the ring of the lucii to lunafreya to take to noctis. various action sequences happen, and many large statues come to life to fight a monster that looks like diamond weapon, destroying urban insomnia entirely.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 27, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

PantsBandit posted:

Niflheim suggests a peace treaty but it was a ruse to steal Insomnia crystal. The end.

The game itself reveals Regis knew it was a trap but he had no power left to stop the invasion so he puts all his faith to Noctis and his friends. Hence he agrees that Noct leaves the city to marry the oracle as a sign of good faith, as suggested by Niflheim chancellor.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I just got to the part where Snow ramps in on Shiva and thought he was finally going to be cool and he was for a while. Then he calls resistance fighters dumb and Hope asks him if people who fight are dumb and he's like "you're a really FREAKING bonehead if you die fighting the baddies lol". Even if you don't know this is the son of a woman you helped get killed did you really forget about the whole bunch of people you lead to their deaths like a day ago after convincing them to fight? Also I thought he should take off the bandanna and then I saw a picture of him from XIII-2 :whitewater:

Technically Snow didn't convince them to fight. He saved their lives then was like "Alright everybody. You are safe for the moment but we can't stay here we are going to go fight some more of these guys." And some of them were like "What? WE WANT TO FIGHT TOO!" And Snow looks like he's torn a bit on it before shrugging and functionally going "Well....we have spare guns, if you want to fight for your lives we aren't going to stop you." And he gives Noah specifically a second chance to say no she doesn't actually want to go when he notices she had a kid. Then hands off the last gun to the person least likely to use it well that's left to protect them and runs off to fight robo-monsters with the plot-armored teens and the fodder civies.

Like....its still not a remotely good thing that he said what he did but he legitimately didn't try to convince any of them to fight, he protected them and then was going to run off with just the....5? 4? of them before they got up and decided they wanted to go get shot by better trained better armed men. This line of thinking basically being trying to convince himself he's not responsible for their deaths but insulting them in the process of trying to disassociate with it and not curl up in the fetal position about how he was tangentially connected to them all getting shot by handing them the guns and making it seem possible they could win and not die.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't mind strategy games having boss fights that might take a few iterations to work out the optimal strategy provided it has a quick turnaround between retries and it's not an endless multipart boss like the end of KH with no save points. Also in these cases ideally once you work out the strategy the fight should pass relatively quickly too.

Chaeden posted:

Technically Snow didn't convince them to fight. He saved their lives then was like "Alright everybody. You are safe for the moment but we can't stay here we are going to go fight some more of these guys." And some of them were like "What? WE WANT TO FIGHT TOO!" And Snow looks like he's torn a bit on it before shrugging and functionally going "Well....we have spare guns, if you want to fight for your lives we aren't going to stop you." And he gives Noah specifically a second chance to say no she doesn't actually want to go when he notices she had a kid. Then hands off the last gun to the person least likely to use it well that's left to protect them and runs off to fight robo-monsters with the plot-armored teens and the fodder civies.

Like....its still not a remotely good thing that he said what he did but he legitimately didn't try to convince any of them to fight, he protected them and then was going to run off with just the....5? 4? of them before they got up and decided they wanted to go get shot by better trained better armed men. This line of thinking basically being trying to convince himself he's not responsible for their deaths but insulting them in the process of trying to disassociate with it and not curl up in the fetal position about how he was tangentially connected to them all getting shot by handing them the guns and making it seem possible they could win and not die.

Yeah that's accurate! He just admitted that he got them killed and has no idea how to take responsibility in the cutscene I just watched so that's good, and Hope attempted to murder him. Also I'm glad in the scene where Lightning punches him it's like three punches not just one.

Fister Roboto posted:

I really think that part of the game could have been improved by introducing Fang earlier and put her in that party. So Lightning could be the one saying "maybe chill out a little and don't murder my brother in law" and Fang would be all "yeah fuckin shank the oval office mate"

That would have been a lot more fun I reckon but I don't know if it would have worked as well. Lighting being all "hell yeah just focus on fighting to the exclusion of all else" and realising how loving bad an idea that is only works because she sees immediately how it affects Hope. They could still do that with Fang there ofc and still have her spurring on Hope after Lightning is trying to calm him down but imo I'm glad they took the time to develop individual character relationships like that it's not something or FF games I recall did.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kingtheninja posted:

Just got rinoa and she's level 11 where the rest of my group is under 10. Will this gently caress up my enemy levels if I'm trying to fight level 1-9 mobs?

No. It's based off your average active party level.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

PantsBandit posted:

One detail that hasn't been mentioned.
When Noctis was young he lived in another country for a while, where he met and befriended Lunafreya (the oracle) and her brother Ravus. Niefelheim then invaded that country, and King Regis (Noctis' dad) fled with him, back to their own country, leaving Lunafreya and Ravus, whose parents were murdered in the invasion. Ravus has hated Regis and Noctis since, while Luna and Noctis have kept in touch by writing letters and keeping a journal they keep sending back and forth in secret.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 27, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also not really 'Kingsglaive' and more "FFXV itself"

Noctis and Luna are actually pretty tremendous dorks

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Can guests level up while traveling with you in ffxii?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

IcePhoenix posted:

Can guests level up while traveling with you in ffxii?

In Vanilla? No. In Zodiac Age, no idea.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Onmi posted:

In Vanilla? No. In Zodiac Age, no idea.

They get LP but if they do get XP it's heavily scaled, I swapped a couple party members in 3/4 or so through Zodiac and they were 10 levels behind. It worked out OK though since LP and gear seem to matter a lot more than levels and you can catch them up some pretty quick by having gambits set OK and just 4x speed run around an area slaying mobs that don't give you a tough time near a tent save crystal.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

teh_Broseph posted:

They get LP but if they do get XP it's heavily scaled, I swapped a couple party members in 3/4 or so through Zodiac and they were 10 levels behind. It worked out OK though since LP and gear seem to matter a lot more than levels and you can catch them up some pretty quick by having gambits set OK and just 4x speed run around an area slaying mobs that don't give you a tough time near a tent save crystal.

I'm not asking about non-active party members (who do not get XP), I'm asking about guests (Larsa, Vossler, etc).

Basically I'm doing lategame cleanup with a guest (because fourth party member) but they keep getting their rear end whipped because their HP is so low so I'm worried that they won't level with me while I'm doing everything.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just saw the original license board and I didn't know that it was like a single thing for everyone. The layout is so weird.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not asking about non-active party members (who do not get XP), I'm asking about guests (Larsa, Vossler, etc).

Basically I'm doing lategame cleanup with a guest (because fourth party member) but they keep getting their rear end whipped because their HP is so low so I'm worried that they won't level with me while I'm doing everything.

Ohhh, right. Dunno much about the game systems but I'm pretty positive I just saw a guest get levels with me last night.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Guests do level up.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Oh shut up. I don't throw around "unfair" and "bad design" loosely and I hate it when people do.

That specific fight is not meant to be beaten with a conventional fight like most of the rest of the game. You literally can't beat it without a cheesy strat that basically abuses system mechanics when that was never a thing before.

FFT is my favorite game of all time but that fight really is badly designed and unfair for no good reason.

This is insane. Like, how do you even let yourself type out things like this.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

gigglefeimer posted:

This is insane. Like, how do you even let yourself type out things like this.

No it's not. gently caress off.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I don't particularly think that "this fight requires you to use cheese tactics that abuse faults in game mechanics" is a logical argument that a fight is fairly designed and balanced.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I don't particularly think that "this fight requires you to use cheese tactics that abuse faults in game mechanics" is a logical argument that a fight is fairly designed and balanced.

Nor do I think the argument of "Changing a primarily multi-unit driven tactical game into a one-on-one showdown with no way to build up beyond reverting a save" is either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Elephant Ambush posted:

No it's not. gently caress off.

I mean I beat it when I was 10 so I think ITS IMPOSSIBLE WITHOUT A WALKTHROUGH is indeed dumb