Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

huh, a Class G amplifier

https://youtu.be/6xjRdBjmePQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
For three grand I don't love it to be honest. They took a few cool vintage looks but it's got an early 2000's "trying to be vintage" vibe to it. It's probably just the render though.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
I'm in a bit of a conundrum on a receiver/amp. My wife bought a nice piece of furniture for the center console and it does not fit standard sized receivers (I have a Pioneer VSX-532 as a stand in until I find something else). The cabinet size is 16 1/2" wide and 14" deep. Height is adjustable. It's a 5.1 setup, and I do like watching movies in that room.

After a bit of googling, I'm unsure on how to approach the amplification of the speakers. I've found amps, but they do not usually do video. Most receivers are around 17" wide (like the one I have now) and will not fit my need.

Are there any mini receivers that do 4k hdmi and 5.1?

Should I use my TV as a switch and optical out to a purely audio amp? (Generally, I've had bad luck getting 5.1 to work this way, it seems to always convert to stereo)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

raej posted:

Should I use my TV as a switch and optical out to a purely audio amp? (Generally, I've had bad luck getting 5.1 to work this way, it seems to always convert to stereo)

I know on my Sony XBR-850D there is an Android TV audio setting that controls whether it compresses multichannel, or digital passthrough. My receiver won't get audio from some sources otherwise.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

raej posted:

I'm in a bit of a conundrum on a receiver/amp. My wife bought a nice piece of furniture for the center console and it does not fit standard sized receivers (I have a Pioneer VSX-532 as a stand in until I find something else). The cabinet size is 16 1/2" wide and 14" deep. Height is adjustable. It's a 5.1 setup, and I do like watching movies in that room.

After a bit of googling, I'm unsure on how to approach the amplification of the speakers. I've found amps, but they do not usually do video. Most receivers are around 17" wide (like the one I have now) and will not fit my need.

could you run an HDMI or HDMI-over-ethernet or TOSlink to a closet or cabinet or shelf nearby? Maybe tucked in a bookcase in a corner or something like that?

Edit: also no rule against putting the receiver on the floor under the unit, right? Might get a bit dusty tho.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

raej posted:

Marantz has slim receivers but looks like they're still too wide and deep for your needs. I actually have to keep my cabinet doors slightly open since my receiver is too deep.

Would you be able to place the receiver on top of the furniture? I'm sure Andrew Robinson has some YouTube videos you can watch for inspiration since he's more of a design oriented audio/video guy.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's basically no small receivers right now, the closest would be the Integra DSX-3 but that's expensive and weak and you'd still have barely an inch of clearance. There's some people on AVS standing stuff on its side and facing at an angle to fit but that's not the airflow they're designed for so who knows if that would work. I luckily bought my rack specifically to fit my old CD jukebox so everything fits now but I'm not sure what to tell you.

The dumb part is amps have never been smaller or more efficient so the giant power supply and cooling fins for class AB amps that made receivers so big to begin with are just artifacts of the old times. If I wanted to waste 8 figures of someone else's money I'd make a compact surround preamp with an optional detachable front display [and then nobody would buy it because multiple boxes is "too complicated"].

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
Looks like I'm gonna just set it on its side and hope for the best!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

raej posted:

Looks like I'm gonna just set it on its side and hope for the best!

Rad. You could get some stick-on feet to put on it so you don’t mess with the convective airflow as much

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Anyone using the Ikea SYMFONISK stuff? I just noticed they released a slim speaker that doubles as art, and they have a few different replacement panels you can put on it.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/symfonisk-picture-frame-with-wi-fi-speaker-white-50487329/

This stuff uses Sonos which I'm unfamiliar with. From what I can tell you don't actually need some 'hub' device for Sonos, you can just have all of these randomly on your wifi and through a phone app choose which ones to 'pair' or whatever?

I can't imagine audio quality is amazing, but I'm fond of the idea of replacing a rear speaker in surround sound with something like this to not be fugly.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been toying with getting those but I still need to figure out how much more I want to invest in Sonos and I want something I can control without my phone [but that's a separate project now that I have Roon]. That said Sonos stuff generally sets up easy, works very reliably and sounds decent, I don't know if I'd use these for my living room but I've had Play Ones in my bedroom for years and am super happy with them. Sonos works without a hub device but it can work better if you have one, depending on your home wifi. I can probably answer any other questions you have about Sonos in general.

You will not be able to use these as rear speakers unless you have a Sonos soundbar or amp to integrate with.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I have an Onkyo Receiver, ~4 years old (TX-NR676), it says it's not compatible with Sonos. However, it appears that some newer models got firmware models that make them compatible:

https://www.onkyousa.com/news/world...-functionality/

For now, I'm going to just keep an eye on such things and not pull trigger in any of that 'smart speaker' world. If my receiver goes to crap, I may consider getting in to it, again mainly for less ugly (and wireless speaker wire) rear speakers. That is, if it can have that low of latency.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Do any of your NET features work worth a gently caress? Cause I have the same AVR and they are just poo poo. Bluetooth is half decent I guess but forget about streaming music off my phone via chromecast, the DTS app or anything else they have there. Just a laggy mess

falz
Jan 29, 2005

codo27 posted:

Do any of your NET features work worth a gently caress? Cause I have the same AVR and they are just poo poo. Bluetooth is half decent I guess but forget about streaming music off my phone via chromecast, the DTS app or anything else they have there. Just a laggy mess

The only one i use is Pandora and it's flakey. Basically it always says 'timed out' on screen but continues to play music in the background IF you had used Pandora at all without a hard (unplug, not soft off) reboot. Since it takes a few minutes to actually boot from that scenario, I haven't attempted some workaround like a smart power strip to turn it off, although perhaps doing so nightly at 3am or something could be reasonable.

Also it was extremely flakey until I realized its wifi totally sucks, at which i hard wired it and that solved all of those issues. Oh and it STILL PREFERS wifi while ethernet is connected unless you disable it.

AVSForum owners thread I chimed in about it but no one really chimed in.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/the-official-onkyo-2017-tx-nr575-and-tx-nr676-thread.2831561/page-57#post-59183654

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/the-official-onkyo-2017-tx-nr575-and-tx-nr676-thread.2831561/page-60#post-60039383

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

falz posted:

I have an Onkyo Receiver, ~4 years old (TX-NR676), it says it's not compatible with Sonos. However, it appears that some newer models got firmware models that make them compatible:

https://www.onkyousa.com/news/world...-functionality/

For now, I'm going to just keep an eye on such things and not pull trigger in any of that 'smart speaker' world. If my receiver goes to crap, I may consider getting in to it, again mainly for less ugly (and wireless speaker wire) rear speakers. That is, if it can have that low of latency.

I have a "Works with Sonos" Integra receiver, and it's pretty weak. You have to buy a $450 Port [or an older Connect like I have] and mine doesn't even have volume pass-through and none of them support wireless surround speakers, only the Sonos soundbars and Amp do that. It could have been a ton better if they just built it into the recevier's network features and had a $99 DLC code or something but as it stands to "Work with Sonos" costs 60% as much as a lifetime Roon subscription which lets you stream to almost anything, including Onkyo receivers.

The NET features work quite well on my DTM-7 [2018 model, same as an Onkyo 8270] with the caveats that I have my system on ethernet and it for some reason has to turn the TV on for Airplay or Chromecast. Right now I'm mostly streaming Roon to my TV via Chromecast so I can get album art, etc.

e: Randomly I saw Amir on audiovideoscince did a review of the Symfonisk wall speaker and he liked it, they don't have much bass but that shouldn't be surprising given the small woofer and lack of cabinet volume.

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 31, 2021

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
For the past 5 years or so I've been rocking with a pair of Wharfedale Reva-4 tower speakers in Walnut. I will be moving into a new home this week that is going to be giving me a few opportunities and some new challenges for my home theater. And I'm thinking of replacing the Wharfedale's with something else.

On the pluses side I have a much longer front wall to utilize. So I can get a bigger TV and larger tower speakers and space everything else out much better instead of cramming it as close as possible. I can also wall mount the TV and would be able to get a center speaker. On the minuses.. the back is a "half wall" that gives way to the dining and kitchen area. And while I could technically do surrounds my vanity and WAF would not like it. Hence why I have walnut speakers to begin with.

So I'm looking to retire the Wharfedale's to my home office and upgrade to a 2.1 or a 3.1 setup. Really would like to find another good looking pair of speakers, preferably in some kind of real wood veneer. I've lived with a 2.0 setup for a while and have had no problems with dialog clarity etc. so I'm willing to stay with just stereo setup if that allows me to get a much better speaker than if I also had to spend money on a center. And who knows.. maybe further down the line I can buy the center later (although I've had bad luck in the past with things going out of style or no longer manufactured by the time that happens).

Budget I'm looking at $8k max for just the speakers. I've already got funds allocated separately for the Rythmik sub and components.

The first obvious candidate would be the KEF R5 or R7 with the R2c center channel and all in that walnut finish.
Anything else I should look at / consider. Looking for speakers that look nice and sound good.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kef Rs look nice and aren't super finicky about positioning. There's also newer Wharfedales and you're even in Revel or Dynaudio territory. Think about auditioning if you have any good local shops.

With the budget you have you should have a pretty kickass sound system despite missing the surround channels. I love my Rythmik.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
La Scalas

go big or go home bitch

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Personally, I like horns and magnepans. If you're gonna spend used Toyota Corolla money on speakers they should be tall enough to play highschool basketball or literally kick you in the chest.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

falz posted:

Anyone using the Ikea SYMFONISK stuff? I just noticed they released a slim speaker that doubles as art, and they have a few different replacement panels you can put on it.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/symfonisk-picture-frame-with-wi-fi-speaker-white-50487329/

This stuff uses Sonos which I'm unfamiliar with. From what I can tell you don't actually need some 'hub' device for Sonos, you can just have all of these randomly on your wifi and through a phone app choose which ones to 'pair' or whatever?

I can't imagine audio quality is amazing, but I'm fond of the idea of replacing a rear speaker in surround sound with something like this to not be fugly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGzNkUmPdXc

100W x2 Stereo Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Amplifier/Receiver Board, DC5-24V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G8JS1HG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_QH8VA4G9D8SNDCDAWQ8V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Dayton Audio DAEX32Q-8 Dual Steel Spring Balanced 32mm Exciter 20W 8 Ohm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3D0OR2/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_2GSEFBEV5FFDGSQR8QQ2

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-C...-20WE/207179253

https://www.allposters.com/-st/Movie-Posters_c101_.htm

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

qirex posted:

[but that's a separate project now that I have Roon].

Not sure if there's a better thread about this, but what's your verdict on this service?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Listerine posted:

Not sure if there's a better thread about this, but what's your verdict on this service?
I really like it, I'm getting a lot more use out of Tidal than I did before and I love being able to play to basically every device I own and not limited to Sonos hardware anymore so I can use it on my phone, my work laptop, etc. and it's all the same interface. That said it is an exceedingly unnecessary expensive luxury but it's worth it for me given how much time I spend at home nowadays and I'll probably buy lifetime once my year is up. It would be vastly improved if more services supported it, being stuck to Tidal and Qobuz is lame but it's on the streaming companies to have an API [which they mostly don't do, Spotify even got rid of theirs] and I'd kill for Soundcloud/Mixcloud support. I'd say if you do primarily your own music or primarily streaming it's not super useful but for someone like me with a large local library who also does streaming it's wonderful, even compared to Sonos/bluesound which does a limited version of that. It's finicky, depending on Chromecast or Airplay means you get the quirks of those platforms but they're getting increased support from vendors which is nice to see. It also doesn't really know what to do with a lot of my rave tapes and bootlegs but I'm used to that and I could fix a lot of it with their tag editing which I was holding off on diving into until I was sure I was going to keep using it. Being able to have multiple artists per album/track alone is a revelation.

tl;dr: it's great but it costs too much but if you're a big music nerd it might be worth it

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Any recommendations for a good budget sound bar? Mostly for streaming content on an older Panasonic with crap speakers so I have constant dialogue / sound effect audio issues. I'm not looking to set up a full home theater or anything just looking for the most bang for my buck to spend a few hundred to make watching Netflix on my TV less of an issue.

Checked the OP but updated 2015 so figured I'd just ask. Googling shows a range of $1,500 options then anything from $150 to $300-$500. I'd be willing to pay $300-$500 if the $150 option wasn't going to solve my problem but if for a hundred I can hear the dialogue in a youtube video on my TV over the music I'd go with that - I'm looking for quality of life with my current system not quality of sound.

Thanks for any advice!

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Tom Tucker posted:

Any recommendations for a good budget sound bar? Mostly for streaming content on an older Panasonic with crap speakers so I have constant dialogue / sound effect audio issues. I'm not looking to set up a full home theater or anything just looking for the most bang for my buck to spend a few hundred to make watching Netflix on my TV less of an issue.

Checked the OP but updated 2015 so figured I'd just ask. Googling shows a range of $1,500 options then anything from $150 to $300-$500. I'd be willing to pay $300-$500 if the $150 option wasn't going to solve my problem but if for a hundred I can hear the dialogue in a youtube video on my TV over the music I'd go with that - I'm looking for quality of life with my current system not quality of sound.

Thanks for any advice!
Clear dialogue was my primary consideration too. RTings has a frequently updated article featuring their Best Soundbars for Dialogue, which should give you some ideas.

I went with the $300 Vizio M51A-H6 to get surround sound, an extra HDMI port, and support for all the current audio formats. If you just want a simple soundbar it looks like the Roku Smart Soundbar for around $130 or the Vizio M21d-H8R for $150 seem to have the best bang for your buck.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sonos has refurb Beams for $319.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Any recommendations for a budget active subwoofer? I don't need much volume, just want to add some lower range to an old stereo-in-a-box.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Speakers are like music gear in that you are often times better off going used than cheap-new on a budget.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Baby Proof posted:

Any recommendations for a budget active subwoofer? I don't need much volume, just want to add some lower range to an old stereo-in-a-box.
If you're buying new start here, well the later pages of it since the thread is 10 years old. IMO "proper" subwoofers [RSL Seedwoofer, refurb SVS] start around $400 new but there's lots of options below that. If you buy used make sure you can test it, a lot of subs have flaky amps [that's what killed my beloved Elemental Designs] and it's usually the first thing to go. There's also a ton of unwanted passive subs from HTIB sets floating around, avoid those unless you also feel like buying another amp.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Clear dialogue was my primary consideration too. RTings has a frequently updated article featuring their Best Soundbars for Dialogue, which should give you some ideas.

I went with the $300 Vizio M51A-H6 to get surround sound, an extra HDMI port, and support for all the current audio formats. If you just want a simple soundbar it looks like the Roku Smart Soundbar for around $130 or the Vizio M21d-H8R for $150 seem to have the best bang for your buck.

I'm looking at similar and am probably after a simple soundbar, so the refurb Beam looks good. However, it seems that all the highly rated ones have Alexa or Google voice built in. I don't want that poo poo. Anyone got a good recommendation that is dumb and ideally will stream via bluetooth?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Subwoofer? Look for a used SVS near you, or just buy one of their cheaper options new, they last basically forever if you don't actively try to kill them.

codo27 posted:

Speakers are like music gear in that you are almost always often times better off going used than cheap-new on a budget.

FTFY - as long as you don't buy something broken :v:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm looking at similar and am probably after a simple soundbar, so the refurb Beam looks good. However, it seems that all the highly rated ones have Alexa or Google voice built in. I don't want that poo poo. Anyone got a good recommendation that is dumb and ideally will stream via bluetooth?
On Sonos stuff the mic is fully optional [just don't sign into Amazon or Google in their software] and has a LED that must be on if the mic is. That said I bought the One SL non-voice models for myself so I understand the hesitation.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've got outdoor speakers on the way finally and I'm wondering, how should I go about protecting the terminals from the weather?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

codo27 posted:

I've got outdoor speakers on the way finally and I'm wondering, how should I go about protecting the terminals from the weather?

Mount them under a roof...

(Nah, sorry, I don't have anything better than that. I bet 80% of all outdoor speakers sold to consumers end up on patios under a sun roof, though.)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

What's the story on AVRs with proper HDMI 2.1 support? Last I checked the few available all had some hardware bug breaking 4K 120Hz w/ VRR. I'm getting impatient and starting to consider upgrading to an AVR with eARC and plugging devices directly into the TV, but that means rearranging my setup which I wanna avoid.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

acksplode posted:

What's the story on AVRs with proper HDMI 2.1 support? Last I checked the few available all had some hardware bug breaking 4K 120Hz w/ VRR. I'm getting impatient and starting to consider upgrading to an AVR with eARC and plugging devices directly into the TV, but that means rearranging my setup which I wanna avoid.

Onkyo TX RZ50 and some others are becoming available.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

acksplode posted:

New Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra models* have 3 40gbps ports and appear to work. Denon and Marantz fixed the hardware in newer receivers so the single 40gbps port they have is working properly if it's been manufactured in the last few months. Yamaha just hosed up all over the place, maybe wait until next year? All the gory details are here

*except for the TX-5100

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

codo27 posted:

If they're actually outdoor speakers the terminals should be under a weatherproof cover to begin with, every pair I've played with had either a sealed cover with cable entering from below for a drip loop or a tight rubber cable bung to thread cable through which you could further seal with caulk/mastic/silicone sealer/whatever you call it where you are.

Drip loop is important even if your connectors are sealed.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 10, 2021

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I love the idea of having a surround system for TV / Movies, I've always just had the tinny little TV speakers. We've done a bit of work on the house and I can probably swing a surround set but our couch where we will be watching is against the wall. Effectively the room is a vague Square Shape with our TV being in one corner, facing diagonally inwards and our couch is an L shaped couch against the opposite corner. How would the 'rear' speakers be in this situation? Is it pointless and I should just go for a 2.1 system or a soundbar?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You can certainly have a surround setup but your speaker placement is going to be weird due to the room layout. You're able to time align and set the level of all the speakers so you can balance the wavefront of the audio coming from the screen to your ears but it's absolutely always going to be a compromised setup if you can't place speakers where they need to be instead of bundled up together in the corner like I've seen before in homes with odd shaped rooms.

A nice 2.1 setup is obviously going to be the easiest option and will sound great pretty much no matter what, I guess it just depends on where you could possibly place speakers if you consider surround as an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Something like a Klipsch RP502S will help you cover more area in a sorta weird setup like that. Traditionally you’d use them when your listening position backs up to the wall and you can’t get your surrounds on the sides but I think it’d be a good option in this case as well. Alternatively, you could try and mount some more directional speakers on an adjustable mount near the front parts of the couch and angle them toward the corner a bit, but I think that’d be more fiddly and look worse.

Also is the ceiling an option?