Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just use firebug, problem solved. :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Lemon-Lime posted:

I mean, there's a pretty simple way of fixing them, in the abstract: instead of punishing players for having the wrong type of gun, reward them for having the right type. Make it so that if a zed resists a certain type of damage, it takes 80-90% of the damage it took before, and if it's weak to a damage type, it takes 125-150% of the base amount instead.

Then, simplify damage types into melee/bullet/fire/explosive (add shotguns as a fifth if you want), and make sure that each damage type is weak/strong against no more than a couple of enemies each. Then, be incredibly open about which enemy fits in which category for each gun - put it on loading screens, in an in-game codex and on the store page for each gun in the block of stats, so that players never have to remember the information or consult an external source for it, and can just look ingame.

It would end up as a codification and extension of what was there before with husk fire resistance and scrake explosive resistance, which is good, while also not being unfun and punishing for players.

This is a great idea. I also think that there should be a small little icon that lights up next to the larger enemies when you place your reticle on them that distinguishes the damage type so players instantly know which gun they should switch to instead of pure memorization.

Edit - And, of course - provide an option to turn it off.

Severed fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 13, 2016

az
Dec 2, 2005

I don't understand why you had to go so far overboard with this resistance update when a light touch could have worked so much better. Making most weapons very ineffective against most enemies feels super annoying and painful because it takes the flow out of the game and causes frustration when the player can't shoot mans and have fun. And only the hardest sperglord actuals of the world are going to feel good when they have to micromanage trash mob kills in a group because god forbid you can't shoot a siren yourself anymore because your gun is not rated as siren killer +1 CTH.
A sensible system would be similar to how the Husk used to handle. Fire had less effect on them, but you could still burn through them if you really wanted or had to. Give classes an enemy they are somewhat weaker against and one they are somewhat better against, with mild modifiers instead of 50%+ damage resistance. 20-30% are much more appropriate but leave the bottom trash out of it because noone wants to have a clot as their specialty or a crawler being a unkillable nightmare. Same applies to the minibosses, don't impede classes from properly assisting in fighting pounds and scrakes, that's frustrating again. If you insist on making a classes main weapons weaker against one of them, make them better against the other. Thus players can still feel useful and have little moments of achievement when they splatter their d&d racial enemy all over the wall in one good hit. Light touch. And if you really want to model serious damage reduction armor effects on enemies please be so kind and give each class some special munitions like armor piercing and anti personnel bullets tvym.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

"play in this exact very specific way or be actively punished"

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

how dare twi push a public beta without clearing it with the community first, next time run a ptr for the preview beta

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Tagichatn posted:

how dare twi push a public beta without clearing it with the community first, next time run a ptr for the preview beta

i mean you joke but Overkill published the skilltrees for their skill revision weeks in advance, got community feedback, and then improved them steadily until they launched a public beta where they continued to improve them until they launched with basically nothing but excitement

so

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I would also like the entire level up system revamped, so that instead of tiers for skills, rather you get points for specific skills and skills cost X level points (A level 15 Demo has 15 skill points and can select a combination of skills with a value that totals 15 or less). This makes skill balancing less important and opens up classes to wacky combinations. In fact, go in on it even harder, lovely skills or skills that have lower value, allow people to dump points into multiple times to get increased bonuses. This might gate some abilities but those would be naturally stronger abilities. That and you could come up with more than eight per class.

Like, say Demo has a skill "Improved Nonvolatility" which means his explosives will do a minimum of 25% damage inside a Siren scream. Costs 1 point, but they can take it 4 times. Do the same with "Frag Sleeve", 10% increase in splash radius, but you can take it 5 times, etc. Maybe "Proximity Detonator" which turns the HX25 into a proximity mine layer that deals explosive and shotgun damage for 3 points, or "Tandem Warhead" for 5 points, which causes explosives to penetrate in a wide cone on impact, dealing full explosive and impact damage to the target and full explosive damage inside the cone.

There is a hell of a lot more possibilities inherent in the system and a lot more cooler things you can do with it then some of my dumb skill suggestions. It also lets players have fun, and rather than balance what a skill does and make a player feel less powerful, just balance it's point cost. *thread devolves into endless "proper build" arguments*.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 13, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Psion posted:

i mean you joke but Overkill published the skilltrees for their skill revision weeks in advance, got community feedback, and then improved them steadily until they launched a public beta where they continued to improve them until they launched with basically nothing but excitement

so

Bonus points to them because they took a pretty worthless thing (akimbo pistols) and through external testing and feedback made it a Very Good Choice. By this I mean "you must specialize in something mediocre" to "anyone can use them and there's a few skills here that will make it more effective than it already is"

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Psion posted:

so

Well you know, baby steps.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

I would also like the entire level up system revamped, so that instead of tiers for skills, rather you get points for specific skills and skills cost X level points (A level 15 Demo has 15 skill points and can select a combination of skills with a value that totals 15 or less). This makes skill balancing less important and opens up classes to wacky combinations. In fact, go in on it even harder, lovely skills or skills that have lower value, allow people to dumb points into multiple times to get increased bonuses. This might gate some abilities but those would be naturally stronger abilities. That and you could come up with more than eight per class.

Like, say Demo has a skill "Improved Nonvolatility" which means his explosives will do a minimum of 25% damage inside a Siren scream. Costs 1 point, but they can take it 4 times. Do the same with "Frag Sleeve", 10% increase in splash radius, but you can take it 5 times, etc. Maybe "Proximity Detonator" which turns the HX25 into a proximity mine layer that deals explosive and shotgun damage for 3 points, or "Tandem Warhead" for 5 points, which causes explosives to penetrate in a wide cone on impact, dealing full explosive and impact damage to the target and full explosive damage inside the cone.

There is a hell of a lot more possibilities inherent in the system and a lot more coller things you can do with it then some of my dumb skill suggestions. It also lets players have fun, and rather than balance what a skill does and make a player feel less powerful, just balance it's point cost. *thread devolves into endless "proper build" arguments*.

Oh come on you can't say those things and not tell me if "Frag Sleeve" stacks with "Tandem Warhead", this is crucial info because
:goonsay:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo :rip: KF2 indeed.

TWI really have no idea what made the first one so much fun to play, and what continues(d) to make KF2 fun to play do they?

The one TWI guy that posted in here with Head Popping Simulator was right even though he was trying to be stupidly snarky with that comment. You know why DOOM 2016 turned out to be such a good game? They took what made the originals a lot of fun to play, cranked those to 11. They then took the last decade and a half of modernization within the FPS formula and add that in. Then they wrapped it in a very pretty blanket and called it a day. Oh and you feel like a badass the entire way through the game.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Killing floor on the Rage engine would be the last game I ever played. (Because I'd play it forever).

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

frozenpeas posted:

Killing floor on the Rage engine would be the last game I ever played. (Because I'd play it forever).

You can effectively make Killing Floor in Doom 2016 with Snapmap, serious.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Hot news out of E3: *the wettest fart noise*

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well apparently, according to Tripwire on the E3 PC Gamer Show, the Bullseye update is LIVE NOW.

God help us.

Oh and this weekend is a Free Weekend.

EDIT: Oh and the full game is scheulded for fall 2016.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 13, 2016

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Also there's a VR Killing Floor so maybe that's why they haven't exactly seemed eager to get the regular rear end game right.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Really? You're saying they launched a beta branch Thursday, made some trivial changes on Friday, then went home for the weekend only to launch it Monday morning in the live branch? :lol:

I get it, E3 deadlines, but... Tell me I'm wrong, please.

e: ah, it seems they made another round of changes before pushing to live. But still, wow. Two day beta? :raise:

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 13, 2016

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
What an absolute poo poo show. It's gonna be a long rear end time before I buy another Tripwire game.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Wait wait wait. You mean the one thing that people vocally complained about made it to the live version without any major changes?

Welp, twas fun while it lasted. But maybe another game can give me some high-intensity gorefests.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

quote:

The changes from the latest Beta build are as follows:

Zed

Siren

resistance to Remington lowered to 1 was 0.6

Husk
resistance to Remington revolver lowered to 1.0 was 0.75

Gorefast
resistance to Remington revolver lowered to 0.9 was 0.75

Weapons

Berserker - We increased the block and parry mitigation so that it's not so punishing

Crovel
Block strength will mitigate 40% damage was 30%
Parry strength will mitigate 50% damage was 30%
Pulverizer
Block strength will mitigate 50% damage was 40%
Parry strength will mitigate 60% damage was 40%
Zweihander
Block strength will mitigate 50% damage was 40%
Parry strength will mitigate 60% damage was 40%
Eviscerator
Block strength will mitigate 60% damage was 50%
Parry strength will mitigate 70% damage was 50%
Katana
Block strength will mitigate 40% damage was 30%
Parry strength will mitigate 50% damage was 30%

All Weapons with Bash
increased stumble power
added melee hit reactions power
stumble power wasn't strong enough to stumble zeds when hit with bash this has now been adjusted. also added in melee hit reactions so that if stumble for the zed is on cool down the zed will still flinch from the bash

Demo

RPG7
damage radius increased to 400 was 250
weight reduced to 9 was 10. We increased the damage radius so that it's got better splash damage and decreased the weight by 1 so that you can carry a M79 and RPG7 together.

Baby steps in the right direction (and Demo can finally roll RPG + GL), but LOL, I guess I am the fool for thinking TWI was being careful with the preview and taking community feedback into consideration before releasing this into the wild.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Demo changes look okay. The other stuff is laughable.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well given that they are going to roll back all the resistances to "1" at this point, making all guns neutral again, I might still play this in the future.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kikas posted:

Well given that they are going to roll back all the resistances to "1" at this point, making all guns neutral again, I might still play this in the future.

Where'd you see that?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Psion posted:

Where'd you see that?

Pretty much every update in the beta and now the live one has reduced resistances, like a stubborn kid.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lol why are they making VR KF2. Who wanted that.

Finish KF2.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

alg posted:

Lol why are they making VR KF2. Who wanted that.

Finish KF2.

Gotta jump on that VR bandwagon.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

oh I get it. So it wasn't literally something they said.

too bad, it would've been a valuable display of customer communication and trust.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I can't wait to see how free weekenders react to the new resistance system. :allears:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

closeted republican posted:

I can't wait to see how free weekenders react to the new resistance system. :allears:

They won't even notice it existing other than some vague feeling that their guns are kinda weak for some reason, if they even notice that.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Propaganda Hour posted:

They won't even notice it existing other than some vague feeling that their guns are kinda weak for some reason, if they even notice that.

I"m expecting "WTF why are my guns so weak-feeling?', not a statistical breakdown on why the resistances suck.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Maybe, but chances are they'll play on normal or hard, and with no basis of comparison it might pass with something of a shrug. On the other hand, most classes are awful at level 0, so, who knows.

the latest steam reviews are a bucket of fun though, I'll say that. Coolguy, I saw yours!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I rarely write steam reviews, and I have literally never written a negative one. But good god, this is so aggressively bad. Tripwire can't even figure out what kind of game they want, how the hell can you recommend buying it?

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Bought this game around when it was first available, haven't touched it in forever.

What's all the hubub about?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I did my negative review as well recently, first I've ever done. I thought it might be a bit premature when I did it because the changes weren't live yet. Was thinking "maybe I should remove it", but since they went live with it, gently caress it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Tykero posted:

Bought this game around when it was first available, haven't touched it in forever.

What's all the hubub about?

If you're just starting, nothing really. However, if you're gonna do Suicidal or HOE... well...

Also never Zerk now. The resistances just made that class loving awful.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Really bringing home how little the overall dev process gives a poo poo despite the ones on the staff who DO give a poo poo trying their best to act like human beings and attempt damage control.

My sympathies to Questioner and Turnways.

Man, imagine if they'd test all the stuff half the player base has been asking to get worked on. Rather than try this hard to force the stuff half the playerbase doesn't want with "But you should give player testing a chance!" and missing the :ironicat:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 13, 2016

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

widespread posted:

If you're just starting, nothing really. However, if you're gonna do Suicidal or HOE... well...

Also never Zerk now. The resistances just made that class loving awful.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702207621

There is only one Zed that Berserker's melee does normal damage to, and only three zeds where it does at least 75% damage to. The rest take half damage.

So yes, the new resistances just made it awful. Berserker's projectile weapons do have a better damage spread but that was the absolutely wrong direction to take to make them comparable to his normal melee weapons.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
What the gently caress is up Tripwire's rear end where they have to keep punishing Zerker for being beautiful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Theta Zero posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702207621

There is only one Zed that Berserker's melee does normal damage to, and only three zeds where it does at least 75% damage to. The rest take half damage.

So yes, the new resistances just made it awful. Berserker's projectile weapons do have a better damage spread but that was the absolutely wrong direction to take to make them comparable to his normal melee weapons.

So you must use a ranged weapon as a loving BERSERKER to be even sort of useful? Yeah no, garbage system.

Also I like how in the little chart for Melee, it says "Good: FRIGGEN NOTHING"

Wait. Crossbow is Piercing? I understand but... WHY.