Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Think of it in terms of early game and late/post game regarding blitz. You get grabs on defenseless adcs with limited mobility early and that can be an early kill you can snowball with. Late game you grab the right person before the big 5v5 and suddenly your team has a HUGE advantage at the most important time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The Mash posted:

Blitzcrank exists because he has an ultimate-level ability on his Q and you can win games on him if you can land Q occasionally. Being good at Blitz, honestly, is less about how well you aim and more about learning when to try hooks and when not to

But you can be a retard who whiffs Q every time it's off cooldown and you can still land hooks by accident!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

The Door Frame posted:

Both lvl 6 Illoai and Vel can singlehandedly kill enemy ADC, supp, and a ganker with limited help from their own ADC if pressed. They can both, if not win, at least hold, solo bot if need be. In my mind, you would pick them for the same reason, so they get lumped together regardless of their respective strengths or abilities. I think this is where the confusion of my "Illoai is basically the same support as Vel" statement is coming from.

I would also lump Morg, Ziggs, Lux, Annie, Morde, Trundle, Quinn, and Aniva in that same category of "laning partner who will kind of support the ADC, but is really there to do what the ADC can't." Blitz, Sona, and some other hard supps could feasibly fall in that category too, but they are built for supporting instead of being solo laners who can thrive early-mid game on the razor thin margins of a support budget, and then build out from that early lead

I could be wrong in my weird, meta-classifications of supports, but I'm well aware that Illoai has different strengths and abilities from Vel-Koz. I'm not great by any stretch of the imagination, but I am definitely not that bad at this game
Why are you playing Morde, Quinn, Lux, Ziggs, and Anivia support

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Bholder posted:

But you can be a retard who whiffs Q every time it's off cooldown and you can still land hooks by accident!

Better than Thresh or Naut, you don't fly into the enemy on bad hooks

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

The Door Frame posted:

The trade-off is the alternate "ah poo poo guys I brought you all Amumu/Malphite"

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Love to initiate tower dives as Leona by getting Blitz hooked as our jungler enters the lane

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
I just had my first game as Kindred. It was fun and I won. What's the best way to build her for future games? I went down the warrior, bork, maw kinda build, though I'm not sure if that's the most efficient way of building her.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

I'm glad Illaoi is bad because she's a pile of minigames and gently caress having to learn that. Currently I can ignore her kit and that's fine by me.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

itsjustdrew posted:

I just had my first game as Kindred. It was fun and I won. What's the best way to build her for future games? I went down the warrior, bork, maw kinda build, though I'm not sure if that's the most efficient way of building her.

Standard build is Devourer, Runaan's, Maw, then whatever. Probably will still be the same post-Devourer rework just given how much she benefits from aspd.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Thank you, Yeah I can see how AS works well. I built warrior because I saw how good she is early/ early-mid game. plus every other champ I play in jungle is devourer based, so it gets boring. But thank, I'll do that.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Did they put in the changes where Maw and Sterak shield can't both be up or is that something that was on PBE? I thought it was live and then I double checked and can't find it now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I think it's on pbe. The idea is to give them both unique: lifeline or whatever it's called, so if that's not the case yet on live then it's still pbe

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

Somehow I don't get the feeling that landing too many hooks is your problem.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

RealFoxy posted:

Why are you playing Morde, Quinn, Lux, Ziggs, and Anivia support

I only play Quinn out of those, but the other 4 are common enough to see one every fifth or sixth game. Less so Morde since people bitched enough to nerf the EXP share and let him solo lane, but I still see one every so often. Also, I remember a recent 2-3 page long slapfight about Lux's viability as a support, so I don't know why you'd be surprised at all to see her on the list

And I play Quinn to live the gimmick of "Quinn can do anything".
She turns into an AD scaling caster if you support with her. She has a blind that scales with AP so you can build the frosty eye supp item and Banner without wasting too much inventory space, she has a slow/dash, and she has a vision ability; so she actually has some utility in her kit besides just the gimmick. Plus, you can build the weirder items that ADC's never actually use like Mortal Reminder or Wit's End so that you can have utility in team fights.
It's really more of a thing to do if you're bored or if you know for a fact that you need a second ADC in lane who can do things besides shoot fast and crit. I wouldn't recommend her for serious play in almost any situation, but it is more viable than any other ADC in the support role

Y'all are so drat serious about what a champion can and can't do, experiment a little, have fun with the game. How else would we have Tank Ekko, Jungle Graves, Panth Mid, Brand Supp, and all of those out of place champions that dominate the meta if everyone played their champion in its designated role with its intended build? I get that it's not "just a game" since pro play has real money on the line, but try new things and enjoy the dumb fun of it because for the grand majority of us, it's just a game

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am all for off meta poo poo anywhere but the bot lane, because there's a really strong chance you're ruining the game for your other laner when you queue up as that Wit's End Quinn support.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Wow

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Personally, I'm convinced and will be playing Quinn support in all my ranked games for the rest of the season. You will all laugh now, but wait til it shows up in the LCS for the spell thief's/blind synergy.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

How else would we have Tank Ekko, Jungle Graves, Panth Mid, Brand Supp, and all of those out of place champions that dominate the meta if everyone played their champion in its designated role with its intended build?

But, none of these are crazy out of place? People have been building Ekko tank since his release because his kit is absurd, Graves' clears are insane and he takes no damage from monsters, Panth shits on squishies, and mages have been played as support since the beginning of time.

AP Quinn support or Ziggs support or Illaoi support is loving absurd and useless.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
i would think you're trolling if you weren't so loving earnest about this stupid poo poo The Door Frame

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Firebert posted:

But, none of these are crazy out of place? People have been building Ekko tank since his release because his kit is absurd, Graves' clears are insane and he takes no damage from monsters, Panth shits on squishies, and mages have been played as support since the beginning of time.

AP Quinn support or Ziggs support or Illaoi support is loving absurd and useless.

Firebert posted:

mages have been played as support since the beginning of time.
Ziggs support is loving absurd and useless.

Right, I forgot Ziggs was a bruiser
And that assassin is synonymous with tank. And that Quinn and Graves, both ADC's built for laning, specifically retooled for laning, are some of the best Junglers this season. And that we just had a page defending "Tank Karma" builds. But that's not out of character or against what those champions are designed for at all

Say what you want, but I would be more upset with Urgot ADC than a gimmick support, and he is supposed to be an ADC.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i had an AP MF support on my team last week, did pretty well in lane

pretty sure we ended up losing that one for other stupid reasons. its the guys on the champs you expect to be good that you gotta watch out for, not the AP MF.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Yo even "serious" players try out off meta stuff all the time. Usually it doesn't work so they don't go blabbing about it

Like I played twitch mid a couple times, it is bad, don't do it

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

There's a lot of people I trust with off-meta oddball picks and none of them are ranked in Bronze. Just play safe standard stuff and try not to make two dozen mistakes a game.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Libertine posted:

Just play safe standard stuff and try not to make two dozen mistakes a game.

Don't tell me what to do, dad.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Radical posted:

you guys do know that the champion mastery is comparing you to other people's performances on the champion and not some arbitrary bullshit right? the trinket thing might have affected it but after they changed the trinkets it clearly doesn't anymore

I must be an awesome blitz because I've had 5 S- and 1S and I'm not even level 5.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ekko is supposed to be an assassin, but everyone noticed that he had extremely high base damage numbers. Almost every single AP champion played somewhere other than they were supposed to be was built with way too high of bases, and smart players figured out that certain itemization favored them elsewhere. With the current keystones and itemization, literally any champ can be intended to do one thing but if they're melee and AP they will be better as a tank. It's not complicated and it's not because somebody was trying to make something off meta work.

It's also a far cry from trying out some goofy poo poo in the jungle or top lane from someone wanting to not play a support and picking something that can't do what supports need to down there. A lot of people have PTSD from that from past seasons. Also honestly support is an important role that needs to be able to do one of a few things and there's a reason most off meta supports can't do the role, and it's because they don't offer one of them. Usually it's CC/disengage/peel/engage/strong roaming ability/being able to get your ADC ahead. If your support can't do at least two of these things, throw them in the garbage can and start again.

Actually tank Elise support reminds me of that first point I was making, she has high enough bases to be able to build tanky while still doing some damage, and she has a spammable hard CC ability and is very strong in lane.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

And that Quinn and Graves, both ADC's built for laning, specifically retooled for laning, are some of the best Junglers this season.

I'm not sure why you would think that either Quinn or Graves are built for laning or were reworked to make them better laners. When you look at Quinn's reworked ult, you really shouldn't be thinking 'boy ... they sure did retool her for laning'.

Support is actually not that flexible of a role. You need lots of CC, lots of poke with good bases and reasonable mana costs, or lots of sustain/shields that can be cast on opposing champions, and at least *some* utility to make yourself viable in the role. You can't scale off AD/AS because there is no good build path for you, and you have to have a decent early game. There are actually a surprisingly low number of champions in the game that fit that description.

Midlane is actually a very flexible role as long as you're not blind picking, which is why off-meta stuff like Irelia/Yi/Wukong/J4/Pantheon/Quinn are all viable and in some cases very strong in the matchup. Probably close to half the champions in the game are viable in mid, as long as you aren't picking first.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Taking the bait but...

The Door Frame posted:

Right, I forgot Ziggs was a bruiser
And that assassin is synonymous with tank. And that Quinn and Graves, both ADC's built for laning, specifically retooled for laning, are some of the best Junglers this season. And that we just had a page defending "Tank Karma" builds. But that's not out of character or against what those champions are designed for at all

Say what you want, but I would be more upset with Urgot ADC than a gimmick support, and he is supposed to be an ADC.

Ziggs has one form of CC and it's pretty lousy for peeling or setting up kills, compared to Brand or Annie or Zyra or Velkoz or...

Ekko has mobility, %hp damage, loads of CC and great base damage, pretty much all quintessential bruiser/tank traits...

Graves' autos intentionally knockback monsters, Quinn intentionally blinds them, both are completely useless for laning and were both added in the marksman rework to make them viable junglers.

Tank Karma is loving useless lol

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

Like I played twitch mid a couple times, it is bad, don't do it

The Door Frame posted:

It's really more of a thing to do if you're bored... I wouldn't recommend her for serious play in almost any situation

:thejoke:

I write my experiences playing the relevant champions because I don't mind looking silly while playing League, but I don't think I've actually said that it was a good idea to play any of the champions I mentioned as supports. I know I said Illoai used to work, but I also said that I stopped playing her anymore because people learned how to fight against her, and that that inexperience was more than half of the reason she worked at all.

Bottom of the ladder seems to be a completely different game than most of the posters here experience. I would recommend smurfing a bit, you get to experience all of the madness that happens when you have a bunch of lovely players, a couple of super toxic douchenozzles, a bunch of smurfs, and a bunch of tryhards who suck, all in the same game

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

The Door Frame posted:

:thejoke:

I write my experiences playing the relevant champions because I don't mind looking silly while playing League, but I don't think I've actually said that it was a good idea to play any of the champions I mentioned as supports. I know I said Illoai used to work, but I also said that I stopped playing her anymore because people learned how to fight against her, and that that inexperience was more than half of the reason she worked at all.

Bottom of the ladder seems to be a completely different game than most of the posters here experience. I would recommend smurfing a bit, you get to experience all of the madness that happens when you have a bunch of lovely players, a couple of super toxic douchenozzles, a bunch of smurfs, and a bunch of tryhards who suck, all in the same game

Lol if I played in bronze I would stop being bronze pretty quick

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

The Door Frame posted:

I could be wrong in my weird, meta-classifications of supports, but I'm well aware that Illoai has different strengths and abilities from Vel-Koz. I'm not great by any stretch of the imagination, but I am definitely not that bad at this game

arent you bronze 3? yes you are

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

blah_blah posted:

I'm not sure why you would think that either Quinn or Graves are built for laning or were reworked to make them better laners. When you look at Quinn's reworked ult, you really shouldn't be thinking 'boy ... they sure did retool her for laning'.

Support is actually not that flexible of a role. You need lots of CC, lots of poke with good bases and reasonable mana costs, or lots of sustain/shields that can be cast on opposing champions, and at least *some* utility to make yourself viable in the role. You can't scale off AD/AS because there is no good build path for you, and you have to have a decent early game. There are actually a surprisingly low number of champions in the game that fit that description.

Midlane is actually a very flexible role as long as you're not blind picking, which is why off-meta stuff like Irelia/Yi/Wukong/J4/Pantheon/Quinn are all viable and in some cases very strong in the matchup. Probably close to half the champions in the game are viable in mid, as long as you aren't picking first.

Eh, I say that for the same reason that Urgot and Morde are "ADC's", they were part of the marksmen update that focused on ADC's. Plus, almost every patch, their ability to jungle goes down a little bit more, like just this patch, Graves' direct AD->Damage ratio got slightly nerfed and his crits were buffed. Most jungle builds don't add in crit chance until later in the game, and even then, it's rarely higher than 60%, which leads me to believe they intend to gently push him towards lane. Top lane, if need be, but lane in general

Support is extremely flexible as long as both sides are being just as flexible. As I say almost every single time, real supports completely outclass gimmicks, but if the enemy has no real supports by their 4th pick, you're generally safe with Heimer, Aniva, or whoever has a respectable health pool, some CC, or just high enough base stats to secure early kills.
That's actually a lot of the reason I stopped maining support, even though I love support champions. As I got slightly higher MMR, I would run into more Sonas, Rakas, Blitzes, and the like, and they would wreck my gimicky poo poo. As much as I love doing stupid poo poo, I like winning more, so I moved into the jungle and into top lane, where dumb bullshit is just par for the course.

Where else could my most successful champion be a tank built specifically for kamikaze attacks, if not the jungle?

E:

Verviticus posted:

arent you bronze 3? yes you are

I'm better than 16% of all of the players on the NA servers. As sad as that is, by virtue of the legions of shitmongers who play this game, I'm statistically not that bad. Not great, but better than 1/6 of everyone on the continent who plays ranked

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 29, 2016

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

The Door Frame posted:

I like winning

its not obvious

The Door Frame posted:

I'm better than 16% of all of the players on the NA servers. As sad as that is, by virtue of the legions of shitmongers who play this game, I'm statistically not that bad. Not great, but better than 1/6 of everyone on the continent who plays ranked

you are very below average. you are quite bad

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
the only weird stupid thing i do is ADC mages in ARAM and the only good one i've found is ahri

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

The Door Frame posted:

i can't even

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

The Door Frame posted:

Eh, I say that for the same reason that Urgot and Morde are "ADC's", they were part of the marksmen update that focused on ADC's. Plus, almost every patch, their ability to jungle goes down a little bit more, like just this patch, Graves' direct AD->Damage ratio got slightly nerfed and his crits were buffed. Most jungle builds don't add in crit chance until later in the game, and even then, it's rarely higher than 60%, which leads me to believe they intend to gently push him towards lane. Top lane, if need be, but lane in general

Support is extremely flexible as long as both sides are being just as flexible. As I say almost every single time, real supports completely outclass gimmicks, but if the enemy has no real supports by their 4th pick, you're generally safe with Heimer, Aniva, or whoever has a respectable health pool, some CC, or just high enough base stats to secure early kills.
That's actually a lot of the reason I stopped maining support, even though I love support champions. As I got slightly higher MMR, I would run into more Sonas, Rakas, Blitzes, and the like, and they would wreck my gimicky poo poo. As much as I love doing stupid poo poo, I like winning more, so I moved into the jungle and into top lane, where dumb bullshit is just par for the course.

Where else could my most successful champion be a tank built specifically for kamikaze attacks, if not the jungle?

E:

Lol you suck rear end, and I'm bad.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I want to respond but at the same time I feel like it has to be a troll :ohdear:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Verviticus posted:

its not obvious

you are very below average. you are quite bad

Eh, fair enough. I would argue that that I'm still better than a couple hundred thousand players, but that's a bit of a facile argument and I hill I wouldn't choose to die on

I just wish that at least the client worked the way I wanted it to. I've been unable to login all afternoon and just want my League fix before I have to study more

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

~Another one bites the dust~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
You suck rear end, a few thousand are worse. Millions are better.

• Locked thread