Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not taking my wife's side and siding with my parents?

This is a normal price for real Wisconsin ginseng, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Might as well name it if it’s worth that much. I vote Gingko Balboa.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Kit Walker posted:

The funny thing to me is that it seems insanely controlling dudes are exactly the type to get cheated on. If you were in a relationship with someone who watched you like a hawk, made it clear they didn't trust you further than they could throw you, and was always on the verge of accusing you of cheating on them, then actually cheating on them seems like the perfect choice to spite them when you get sick and tired of their behavior

Insanely controlling partners are usually like that because they are cheating themselves and paranoid that somebody is playing their game. This guy is at least consistent that he be held to his own standards so it's more that he has some extremely severe personal boundaries. He should just go find an eligible evangelical girl to settle down and have fourteen children/start a militia with.

Imagine getting so hosed up by somebody cheating on your brother that you turn into Mike Pence though. That's the wild part.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

darkwasthenight posted:

Imagine getting so hosed up by somebody cheating on your brother that you turn into Mike Pence though. That's the wild part.

It's sounds like his brothers girlfriend was a big part of the family growing up. Probably to assuage her guilt if she was hiding it for several years. Op being a kid attached to her as a sister figure so he felt betrayed by her and saw his brother break down.

Of course his parents didn't get him therapy so he went down the "the real problem in America is infidelity" rabbit hole.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

darkwasthenight posted:

Insanely controlling partners are usually like that because they are cheating themselves and paranoid that somebody is playing their game. This guy is at least consistent that he be held to his own standards so it's more that he has some extremely severe personal boundaries. He should just go find an eligible evangelical girl to settle down and have fourteen children/start a militia with.

See that's the only reason I'm kind of on his side, he holds himself the same standards. Yeah, becoming a version of Mike pence is definitely weird, but most of the time when we see these dudes, they don't hold themselves in the same standards as their partners and that's where the issue comes in. One issue.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Have you seen the internet? It’s a big problem.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Might as well name it if it’s worth that much. I vote Gingko Balboa.

Wisconsin ginseng is considered the best in the world, Chinese markets believe it's more potent than domestic Chinese ginseng due to the soil composition in the state.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nerdlord Actual posted:

Wisconsin ginseng is considered the best in the world, Chinese markets believe it's more potent than domestic Chinese ginseng due to the soil composition in the state.

Different countries' ginseng are considered to have different heat/medicinal properties for different curative needs, although the American stuff is supposed to be well rounded/versatile. Pretty good marketing coup.

I assumed both families in that story were East Asian for the ginseng to have that much clout.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for saying I'll be driving myself and paying for my own room on the upcoming family vacation so I won't have to be a babysitter?

quote:

I 23m was repeatedly stuck playing the part of helper and babysitter on family outings. I had to move out of my parents' house because I kept being forced to help watch my three nephews. Last year we took a family vacation in summer to the coast. I rode along with my parents, and they paid for my hotel room. Only, I had to share that room with three rowdy boys because my sister and her husband wanted a room to themselves. I was promised time to do my own things on the vacation. But instead I ended up having to help with these kids. I complained to everyone about it, and was reminded I was there for free. And then we pretty much just did only one thing I wanted to do. Which was tour an art gallery. I like doing this whenever I'm at the coast. But the kids find it boring.

This year my parents have a beach trip planned for June. And they assumed I'd be riding along the same way as last year. But I refused. I said I'd be driving myself, and paying for my own hotel stay to have my own room. My parents were shocked, and tried to remind me of the cost. I said it was no worry. I've got a good job and a decent running car. I can more than afford it. That's when the "Buts" started. I stated the previously listed things as why I'll be driving myself and paying for myself. I want to be able to enjoy this vacation as an adult, and not be treated like a child like last year.

My parents told my sister, and she called to blow up at me that I'll be ruining the vacation if I'm off doing my own thing while she has to wrangle her three boys. I ended up yelling at her that last year all she did was rope me into her mess. I didn't really get to do much of anything I wanted to do. And I was treated like the bad guy for wanting to just go to an art gallery. I'm a grown man. I deserve my own vacation too.

Now my sister is not speaking to me, and my parents are still trying to convince me to just ride with them to keep the peace. I'm still refusing. But the pressure is getting to me. AITA for not giving in? I know they'll have a pretty hard time when they won't have another person there to help.

Edit: It's barely been an hour since I posted. But my sister is apparently a reddit lurker in the mornings, and she saw my post. Not only is she furious with me. But she's also upset no one in the comments is siding with her. To make it short, she went on a big rant about how it's so hard to be a parent to triplets. And the least I could do is help because I'm young and single, and she needs a break. I stood my ground on my decision, and now she's calling our parents to get them involved. I'm expecting a call from them any minute.

AITAH for not taking care of my sick "husband"?

quote:

Hey all, thanks for the read, let get into it. Me (34f) and my husband (34m) are getting divorced. We are almost done with this process and it has been contentious. We have been living separate for over a year. Recently he got a stomach bug. He was struggling to care for the children on his days. Thursday he called my mother who went over to care for him and the children. I had the children on Friday as planned. He called me Saturday morning and told me he was still unwell. I offered to trade future days with him but he did not want that. He stated it was my responsibility as his legal wife to go over to his house and care for him and the children. I honestly laughed because I thought he was kidding... he was not. I told him I will keep the children if it would help but otherwise it was not my issue. He told me this is why I would not be able to have a successful relationship because I am not able to give of myself for others. I thought I was in the right but my parents took his side and were actually mad at me for "letting him suffer". But he had a flu, which sucks but is not overly serious. They are not talking to me ... aitah?

Edit for Info: I have been getting these questions so I thought I would put them up here.

My marriage ended mainly because of disrespect. The best example is that he regularly called me trash. I dealt with it and even believed it for a while and tried to get better. When my daughter (5) began also calling me trash I knew I had to leave.

We did do marriage counseling and I have been in therapy for years. He has no interest and says it kills the natural masculinity and feminine nature.

My parents have been married for 41 years. They do not believe in divorce. When I left my mom became very mad because my father does many of the same things to her and she takes it as an attack on their relationship that I left.

My dad tried this poo poo when he and my mom separated. He was shocked that she refused to help take care of him when his new partner was busy.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 26, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for saying I'll be driving myself and paying for my own room on the upcoming family vacation so I won't have to be a babysitter?

fuckin straight into my veins

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Give me your free time

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITAH for not taking care of my sick "husband"?

My dad tried this poo poo when he and my mom separated. He was shocked that she refused to help take care of him when his new partner was busy.

My ex-wife called me for a ride when she crashed her car into a parked truck while drunk. I laughed and said no, then had to remind her that I don't have a vehicle because I gave it to her during the divorce and she just totaled it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My ex-wife called me for a ride when she crashed her car into a parked truck while drunk. I laughed and said no, then had to remind her that I don't have a vehicle because I gave it to her during the divorce and she just totaled it.

COL

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Genuinely curious, what was her reaction? Like, "I don't have a car, I gave you my car, that you have now wrecked."
"...Right. poo poo."?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Genuinely curious, what was her reaction? Like, "I don't have a car, I gave you my car, that you have now wrecked."
"...Right. poo poo."?

She was drunk so she actually started yelling about bringing the other car, the one she had totaled four years prior by rear-ending a school bus.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

What the gently caress is happening?

Batterypowered7 posted:

This is me when you tell one of your wild stories.

She was drunk so she actually started yelling about bringing the other car, the one she had totaled four years prior by rear-ending a school bus.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My (M25) girlfriends (F23, F19) are both pregnant and now my family wants to disown me.

quote:

I've always had 'unconventional' views on relationships. From a young age I have been adamant that I wanted multiple partners and to raise a big family with them. My family always laughed it off as being a joke.

I have been with my F23 partner for four years and my F19 for one and a half years. Both were aware of my ideals from the beginning and the attraction between the three of us is mutual.

As I've gotten older I have generally kept my relationships private as my family is judgmental but now that both of my partners are pregnant I had to let that be known. I did it at a family dinner - you can imagine the scenes. Complete chaos.

Now all but one of my family members have 'disowned' me. I was even called an 'immoral pig', but there was no justification as to why this is wrong if all 3 of us have consented and it's hurting no-one.

I want to maintain good relationships with my family - what can I do or say?

tl;dr Impregnated both of my girlfriends and have been disowned by my family. Want to reconcile.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
So this is what happens a few months after that Penthouse forum letter I reread 5 times.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Cythereal posted:

My (M25) girlfriends (F23, F19) are both pregnant and now my family wants to disown me.

Well, the good news is you’re making a new family at an exponential rate

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Cowslips Warren posted:

just go on holiday by yourself, you clearly despise your family with good reason

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cythereal posted:

takin Nick Cannon as an inspiration

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

My 24M girlfriend 23F says I am being abusive.

quote:

supposedly the things I do are "red flags" and "toxic."

Strong thread title contender there

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Evil Willow posted:

My 24M girlfriend 23F says I am being abusive.

When I tried to google this the first thing that came up- even before the Reddit post itself- was a link to help for people in abusive relationships. :unsmith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

trickybiscuits posted:

When I tried to google this the first thing that came up- even before the Reddit post itself- was a link to help for people in abusive relationships. :unsmith:

Google has a few hardcoded results like that. It will also give you a suicide help line it if you use the word "suicide" regardless of context

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Actias posted:

I'm mostly confused by how she wanted broccoli and asparagus along with the steak. I like both broccoli and asparagus a lot, but aren't they kind of similar? Green, fibrous, generally delicious but gross if you overcook them? Wouldn't you want to have two vegetables that are different from each other?

...okay this is probably a me thing.

Asparagus is a traditional accompaniment to steak. Broccoli less so I would go with mashed potatoes but she may just really like broccoli or dislike potatoes

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Cythereal posted:

"Been with the 19/yo for ~18 months"

:chloe:Nice age math there buddy.:chloe:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That "one and a half" is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

toplitzin posted:

:chloe:Nice age math there buddy.:chloe:

Take a wild guess what most of his responses in the comments are about. :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cythereal posted:

Take a wild guess what most of his responses in the comments are about. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUq0HlMvQw0

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Asparagus is a traditional accompaniment to steak. Broccoli less so I would go with mashed potatoes but she may just really like broccoli or dislike potatoes

The worst thing is, he didn't even buy broccoli, he bought broccolini, so he didn't even get what she asked for there either!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nettle Soup posted:

The worst thing is, he didn't even buy broccoli, he bought broccolini, so he didn't even get what she asked for there either!

Broccolini is just what the drippini guy calls broccoli

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Pirate Radar posted:

Broccolini is just what the drippini guy calls broccoli

Makes me wonder, given that people were saying "she asked for steak and got steak", how she could have been more specific when the term means both a specific dish and a broader category of food?

'A great big slab o' steak with all the fixin's?'

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think steak girl and milk guy should go on a date together

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

FoolyCharged posted:

Counterpoint: it doesn't matter what the gently caress she asked for because after getting home from work he did all the shopping, and then did all the cooking, and then she came home to a hot dinner drat near ready for her.

E: seriously, how are so many people siding with the woman throwing a hissy fit because she wanted a traditional steak dinner and the person doing literally all the work saw something else and got inspired? Like goddamn, I expect better behavior out of my 5 year old.

This is where I'm at - if someone texted me three ingredients for dinner and left the rest to me, they're getting what I have the energy to create with those things, full-stop. The shortcuts he chose, he chose because it would save him energy in the prep process, not because he wanted it more or was just blatantly ignoring her.

She expressed what she wanted, and he did his best to deliver with changes made to accommodate his needs, because yes as the person cooking he also gets to think about his needs re: the meal. He's not just a tool or robot that she can text dream meals at and he simply vends them for her. It's not a jerk move to adjust the meal to something he has the energy to make.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 26, 2023

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Bright Bart posted:

Makes me wonder, given that people were saying "she asked for steak and got steak", how she could have been more specific when the term means both a specific dish and a broader category of food?

He would have had a tougher time rules-lawyering if she had specified a type of cut. "I want a ribeye/strip steak/T-bone," for example. Though she would probably have to also specify beef, so he didn't come home with camel or something.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Bright Bart posted:

Her: "Could you get me a big T-bone?"
Him: *crashes into the side of her car* "well TECHNICALLY,

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think steak girl and milk guy should go on a date together

What if one of the two get annoyed by peoples' knees/needs?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Apparently the milk derail wasn't enough and we have to bring the steak couple back up again.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I mostly feel for him because part of his thought process was clearly "it would be fun to mix it up!", with the expectation that it would be something she would enjoy, but also, to be honest, that's just not the kind of thing you should be "mad" at your partner about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I miss Teen Witch