Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Who's trolling? We like flying around hitting dudes and it sometimes results in penalties or fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Yeah we still legitimately play hockey we're just also really good at hitting guys and sometimes we do it when we're not supposed to.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Rev posted:

Proceed to win every trophy there is to win, breaking every record there is to break. Name on the cup several times. Sim 5 games in the season to move things along: "I've noticed these past few games that you've been "calling it in", grats on your demotion to the AHL."

Yeah, when you first start your be a pro in NHL 14, it gives you the option to have simulation penalties. If you don't select "no" there, you will never get the option again, and your career is ruined. Sorry. And yeah the questions are awful, but it's also cool that you can play out a full minor career and get drafted based on the draft order from a simulated seasons standings. And as for everyone elses issues, have you considered turning the difficulty down a notch if you're getting wrecked nonstop? I get like 3-4 points a game outside of the random get hosed you lose game that pops up here and there.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Volkerball posted:

And as for everyone elses issues, have you considered turning the difficulty down a notch if you're getting wrecked nonstop? I get like 3-4 points a game outside of the random get hosed you lose game that pops up here and there.
What happened in my game earlier was that I somehow got a whole bunch of those "gently caress you, you're losing this game 6-1, your shots won't go in and you won't get any bounces ever" games in a row right at the start of the career. I then started a new one (because I had forgotten to update the rosters and turn off sim penalties :downs:) and immediately scored 4 points in the first game.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
The only reason to play LtL is turning off sim penalties and that authentic bullshit. Set period length to 6 or something, and adjust all the faders in the gameplay settings to make you superman. Play one season in pro, simming to the last period and score some goals. Unlock almost all the boosts and use then when you play EASHL.

Then join the #easlgoons channel on Synirc.

Tweet obscenities at @Rammer34

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Anders posted:

The only reason to play LtL is turning off sim penalties and that authentic bullshit. Set period length to 6 or something, and adjust all the faders in the gameplay settings to make you superman. Play one season in pro, simming to the last period and score some goals. Unlock almost all the boosts and use then when you play EASHL.

Essentially this. Although its still a week of my life I'm not getting back :(

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

It will probably save you a month worth of EASHL playing time to get to legend tho, split between the extra wins and grades.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Anders posted:

Ahahahahaha what? Can you really sim the games and adjust sliders and it will still count towards the boosts?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yup.

I play all of the game though, still afraid I need to do more for some of the boots that rely on stats.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
(Use this for NHL15 as well if it is more of the same)

I've always played on rookie, with the slides all maxed out in my favor. Play the CHL tournament and the NHL preseason to ensure you end up on the NHL roster.

From there I play about 5 or so games in their entirety to rack up most of the hitting I need. After that I sim each game until 10 minutes left in the 3rd, score as many goals as I can, rinse and repeat.

You can sim the playoffs without issue, but make sure you win the Stanley cup for a few extra boosts. You should also ensure that you win as many trophies as possible, mvp, rocket, etc.

To finish off the boost unlocks, I spend about 30 minutes making a random NHL team's players all be 99 overall from the main menu. Then I use them to get an easy legend card in be a GM mode, where all I do is sim to win the cup a few times over without any intervention. Do this while watching a movie or something, otherwise you'll blow your brains out staring at the sim screen. You'll have to press X now and then to decline a trade or pass up a player on waivers, but whatever.

Take the same team into a season mode to score 200 goals for your final unlocks.

Total time for everything usually takes me ~2 days worth of playing (maybe 10 hours tops?) So it's either a two day investment that you're not playing EASHL/doing something else, or you pay $40-60 more for unlocking boosts the credit card way.

This is, of course, if you want the boosts ASAP, otherwise just play EASHL/Be a pro normally and unlock them in a few months time.

I would be fine if they did away with boosts, or tied them solely to your player level. It seems like nothing more than an easy money grab for EA.

Here's to hoping NHL 15 is totally revamped...in a good way. :negative:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Rev posted:

Here's to hoping NHL 15 is totally revamped...in a good way. :negative:

Sorry we're not due for an actual overhaul until 2021.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

xzzy posted:

Sorry we're not due for an actual overhaul until 2021.

You'll shut your truth-spewing mouth if you know what's good for you. Actually, you know what? Lets go.

Gently taps your shins with my stick multiple times while looking emotionless in the faceoff circle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft no one fights off faceoffs anymore, it's all about starting poo poo with the goalie and getting some random skater to serve the major.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

I bet this doesn't work too well for goalie boosts though huh?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Jovial Cow posted:

I bet this doesn't work too well for goalie boosts though huh?

You'll have to check, but I assume it does.

You basicly give yourself super reflexes and speed, while giving "their guys" poo poo shooting, and visa verca on the other end of the ice.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I have a dumb question about the shot sliders. Is it better to make the CPU's shooting accuracy high or low if you're trying to get easier goalie wins (with a high save percentage). For some reason I picture low accuracy to mean the shots are unpredicatable (they aim for my crest but it goes top glove) whereas high accuracy means they go exactly where you would expect. Or does low accuracy just mean every shot they take is weak and directly into my crest?

I am a competent goalie online (.800 save percentage, 3+ish GAA with whatever passes for human defense in drop-in games) but I can never, ever ever even get my rookie card in offline goalie mode unless I get a shutout in my first game and save and reboot all the time if I have a bad game. I play four minute periods and rarely, rarely get above 16-18 shots, so unless I let in one goal or less my save percentage doesn't reach the .900 minimum. I tried upping to six minute periods but I find myself dashboarding if I let it a goal early because I don't trust I'll get enough shots against to make up for it and don't want to waste ~20 minutes. Basically any advice for upping shot count would be great. It is tiring having a GAA under two but a save percentage that can't get above .850.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

CPU stuff low, Human stuff high. The Human stuff also affects your team mates, as with the fatigue stuff and speed etc

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Anders posted:

You'll have to check, but I assume it does.

You basicly give yourself super reflexes and speed, while giving "their guys" poo poo shooting, and visa verca on the other end of the ice.

I more meant you probably can't just sim 2/3 of the game and get away with it. You kind of need to be there for the entirety.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Anders posted:

CPU stuff low, Human stuff high. The Human stuff also affects your team mates, as with the fatigue stuff and speed etc

The thing about being goalie though, if I set all my team stuff to high, will my skaters just play in the offensive zone all game? I want shots, lots of shots, but easy ones from distance, not tilted ice shenanigans. I don't really care about wins (I can usually keep my GAA to under two, so I can get wins with a bit of goal support) but the save percentage is a killer.

edit: it's not a big deal, I've got a decent amount of boosts from playing goalie in club and am a couple games away from superstar online, but there's something silly about being four seasons in to my "live the life" goalie and being unable to get my rookie card. I've tried restarting new careers but unless I get the luck of a couple shutouts in my first five games the save percentage always wavers in the mid 800s purely because of low shot count.

mozza fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 2, 2014

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

I guess you'll have to play close to full length games to get realistic shot numbers

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Anders posted:

I guess you'll have to play close to full length games to get realistic shot numbers
And even then get used to letting in 5-8 goals per game.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Try bumping up everything for the CPU and lowering everything for humans. Put CPU shot power low but shot accuracy medium to high, because you want shots to hit the net (aka you) but still have a chance to save them. Put your team's defensive strategy to collapsing and protect the net (I'm not sure if this actually makes a difference, I mostly play VS and I don't usually gently caress with my team strategy, but give it a shot). The CPU is easy to make saves against when they're shooting from a distance, but they'll kill you on rebounds and deflections, so hopefully your AI players can clear the crease for you.

Hope that helps!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Jesus christ this game is almost unplayable now. This tuner set is by far the loving worst, and the player switching.. HOLY christ it's driving me loving insane. Press it five times, nothing. Then it switches you to a player on the other side of the goddamn rink. Today alone I've seen interference and tripping calls where the replay shows my guy 10ft away from any other skaters. It's so rage inducing that I just turn the xbox off because it's not even fun, it's loving terrible.

I've had loads of people ragequit on me too, and rightly so, because sometimes my players pull the same crap and the ice is so obviously tilted that I don't even have to try and keep possession. The puck just magically gravitates to my stick.

I'm definitely not buying this again if it's just going to be another iteration of the same poo poo show.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 5, 2014

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
So this is an NHL13 problem, not 14, but I don't suppose anyone has dealt with this? I'm playing Be A GM, and I made a trade that put me below the cap floor. I had to call up 3 AHL scrubs to make it above the floor. Then I claimed an NHL player off waivers, so the game put him in the AHL. But now my NHL roster is full, so it won't let me call anyone up, but I'm at the cap floor, so it won't let me send anyone down. I'm not missing anything obvious, am I?
I think my only saving grace is that I have 3 players coming back from injury soon so, as they come off IR one by one, the game will force me to send someone down. But that means I have to play two weeks or so with 60-something AHL-ers on my main roster.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I don't think there is a way around that. It was a glitch that was around for a couple iterations. In NHL14, they added a "Swap" so you can, swap an AHLer for an NHLer and vice versa. It bypasses that issue.

But you, you're stuck.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Hockles posted:

I don't think there is a way around that. It was a glitch that was around for a couple iterations. In NHL14, they added a "Swap" so you can, swap an AHLer for an NHLer and vice versa. It bypasses that issue.

But you, you're stuck.

I figured. Whatever, I'm the Winnipeg Jets anyways. :( Honestly, I almost couldn't play this game at first with how slow it was, since I jumped straight from 10 to 13. Everything just takes FOREVER. I guess it's a known issue with the PS3 version. I've gotten used to it now, but if I ever fire up 10 again I won't be able to come back to this.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Brettbot posted:

I figured. Whatever, I'm the Winnipeg Jets anyways. :( Honestly, I almost couldn't play this game at first with how slow it was, since I jumped straight from 10 to 13. Everything just takes FOREVER. I guess it's a known issue with the PS3 version. I've gotten used to it now, but if I ever fire up 10 again I won't be able to come back to this.
Oh yeah 13 was the worst with loading times. Single player is bad, GMC was loving horrible.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Crosspost from EASHL thread:

Diet Crack posted:

Seeming the other thread isn't really active, would you guys be interested in doing a playoff bracket like we did for the Olympics? Once all the playoff spots are finalized in the NHL we could do a 16 (or however many we get in even numbers) team - 1 game series for the Cup.

Texas A. Wreckus
Aug 20, 2006

Welcome to the OVal Office

Diet Crack posted:

Crosspost from EASHL thread:

I'm in for sure.

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.
Also in!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

DC, feel free to post a thread and link it here

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3619979

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Did they release an even loving more lopsided bullshit tuner pack recently? Talk about refs favouring one team and lopsided ice.

For the record we won't be using this tuner set for the playoff bracket, it's Rammer at his finest.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 27, 2014

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Diet Crack posted:

Did they release an even loving more lopsided bullshit tuner pack recently? Talk about refs favouring one team and lopsided ice.

For the record we won't be using this tuner set for the playoff bracket, it's Rammer at his finest.

https://twitter.com/Rammer34/status/435261896610967552

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

You have been blocked from following this account at the request of the user.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

sba posted:

Hey, me too!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sba posted:

I as well...

...then Twitter suggested I follow him. :haw:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Haha, what a twat.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Diet Crack posted:

I've had loads of people ragequit on me too, and rightly so, because sometimes my players pull the same crap and the ice is so obviously tilted that I don't even have to try and keep possession. The puck just magically gravitates to my stick.

NHL14 '14 - Earnest feelings of sympathy for the person who just ragequit on you.

The Rev posted:

Actually, you know what? Lets go.

Gently taps your shins with my stick multiple times while looking emotionless in the faceoff circle.

NO! I will not be bullied! I have a non-violent alternative to fighting.

*Bends over*
*Stands upright*
*repeats rapidly*

cname fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

I had two other games just before this where I also doubled their shots and possession stats, and otherwise dominated the game in all other categories, but lost by 1 due to unscreened goals from the blueline.

I see why sba spends his time harassing Rammer.

• Locked thread