Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kennel posted:

When did they introduce the library categories? I'm pretty sure it took at least 5 years to add that multicategory option.

The multiple category stuff was in at launch, and they took it out a month later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lance Streetman posted:

Not a huge fan of that, gotta be honest. The D-pad is essential to playing a lot of games (like platformers), and having an analog stick as a replacement is kinda counter-intuitive.

Isn't the whole point of the trackpads is that they're somehow supposed to be better than analog sticks for many games? Why have a stick on top of that while getting rid of the much requested d-pad? It makes no sense. I can't imagine the change will stay around.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hogo Fogo posted:

New beta update...

:siren:
Library
Games can now be assigned to more than one category at a time

Holy gently caress, I know what I'm doing with my night.

Saphion
Oct 21, 2010

Gasoline posted:

Here's RPS talking about it and there's a demo of it (and their other games) on the dev's website, so you can form your own opinion. I like them, personally.

The alt-text for the images in this review are incredible.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finally I can make point n click adventures starring Gabe Newell

http://store.steampowered.com/app/300280/

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

The Kins posted:

Hey! Remember how EA gave the "Ultimate Edition" of The Sims 2 away to everyone who owned some other digital version of the game?

Well now they're giving it away to everyone for free until the end of the month, presumably to stop people from bugging Origin support to add their decade old retail keys to their account.

To get it, crack open Origin and redeem the CD-key I-LOVE-THE-SIMS before 10AM PDT on July 31st.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If EA wants people to use Origin, free games is a good way to go about doing it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wait a minute this is a good Indie Royale what's going on

http://www.indieroyale.com/

Stealth Bastard Deluxe (good game!!)
Jack Lumber
FLY'N (good game!!)
Oozi
Mr. Bree+
Savant: Ascent (people say this is good!!)
Doomed'N'Damned

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

FLY'N

FLY'N is a great example of what would happen if Phil Fish and Sonic the Hedgehog hosed.

Whether that's good or not is up to you.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

revdrkevind posted:

With the touch pads they now basically have three sticks. I do not grasp this decision.

Finally that QTE in Arkham Asylum will be possible.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Everblight posted:

FLY'N is a great example of what would happen if Phil Fish and Sonic the Hedgehog hosed.

Whether that's good or not is up to you.
Eh? I thought it to be more in the Rayman ilk of games, especially with its gorgeous visual style. I have to get back to that game, I've cleared the first two worlds but like a lot of Steam games it gets discarded for the shiny new additions.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hogo Fogo posted:

New beta update...

:siren:
Library
Games can now be assigned to more than one category at a time

loving finally. It's still a chore to categorize multiple games though right?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Kins posted:

Also in the beta files: An updated design for the Steam Controller:

Looks like they replaced the left "d-pad" with a traditional analog stick.
With every new prototype they come closer and closer to reverse engineering the 360 gamepad :laffo:.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If EA wants people to use Origin, free games is a good way to go about doing it.

That's how Gaben got me in the first place. Portal for free? Don't mind if I do. Four years and 363 owned games later...

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Valve's solution to making the clients browser faster was.... to ditch their browser entirely. It's now running chromium entirely now, including sandboxed processes. Pros, it's blazing fast compared to the old one, cons, using a fair bit more resources than before.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Eh? I thought it to be more in the Rayman ilk of games, especially with its gorgeous visual style. I have to get back to that game, I've cleared the first two worlds but like a lot of Steam games it gets discarded for the shiny new additions.

Yeah, this is the problem with a lot of (indie) platformers for me.

They may look loving fantastic (Giana, Flyn, etc) [mostly because it's relatively easy and cheap to make them look very pretty], but at the end of the day they're still a platformer. I usually find myself playing ~15% of it and then getting distracted with something new and more engaging, so then I don't go back to them because I've already started but forgot where I was/what was going on with the game and don't feel like starting over after not touching it for a month or longer.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Still no categories for grid view... come on, Valve.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

loving finally. It's still a chore to categorize multiple games though right?

You can select multiple games now with shift-click or ctrl-click.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Xaris posted:

Yeah, this is the problem with a lot of (indie) platformers and stuff. They may look loving fantastic (Giana, Flyn, etc) [mostly because it's relatively easy and cheap to make them look really pretty], but at the end of the day they're still a platformer. I usually find myself playing ~10% of it and then getting distracted with something new and more engaging so then I don't go back to them because I've already started, but forgot where I was/what was going on with the game and don't feel like picking it up again.
Strider I couldn't put down but the sword slicing felt so good. Maybe these games just need that one last additional mechanic that makes them demand your time. Incidentally I thought Giana felt like janky garbagio. FLY'N looks great and controls great but I think its lack of energy may be its problem? I dunno. I will eventually finish it and I will still recommend it as it's an instance where a demo actually sold me on a game in a rare moment.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Well Strider is more of a metroidy game with action, I wouldn't really call it an platformer. I actually just started that one myself, so far it's pretty good (even though I'm confused as gently caress as to what the hell I'm doing plot/character wise)

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

Not a huge fan of that, gotta be honest. The D-pad is essential to playing a lot of games (like platformers), and having an analog stick as a replacement is kinda counter-intuitive.

Can't you use the big touch pads as a D-pad? I though the touchpads were supposed to be a happy medium between sticks and d-pads.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.
Fly'N is a great platformer with gorgeous graphics. The learning curve felt a little steep at times but even I managed to finish the game eventually. There's a lot of fun to be had with exploration using the various forms, although the race/timed levels often went from challenging to infuriatingly difficult.

Despite all that I really cannot recommend it enough.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Can't you use the big touch pads as a D-pad? I though the touchpads were supposed to be a happy medium between sticks and d-pads.

Not really? They're more like laptop trackpads, from what I've heard, which doesn't have the precision of a d-pad. The whole point of a d-pad is that it only has 4 physical directions, and 8 directions total, so if you press down you know the game will read it as pressing down.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

ManOfTheYear posted:

Okay, thank you. My last question is what are the best adventure games on steam? I found a game called Gods Will Be Watching and it looks very interesting, but it's not open yet. The Blackwell series was mentioned, but the concept isn't too interesting for me. I've been playing The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead with my friend, but those games are nearly complete, so what can I get to replace them?

I've seen previews of Gods Will be Watching, and it looks more like Another World or Heart of the Alien than more traditional adventure games. You're basically learning to identify tells in real time and respond to them appropriately, while poo poo is happening all over and people die horribly over and over again. There's even a torture resistance simulator, with you as the victim. Hell of a thing, but not my cuppa.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

37th Chamber posted:

Valve's solution to making the clients browser faster was.... to ditch their browser entirely. It's now running chromium entirely now, including sandboxed processes. Pros, it's blazing fast compared to the old one, cons, using a fair bit more resources than before.

If this means internal flash like in Chrome, I can finally uninstall Adobe's stand alone flash player.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Stealth Bastard Deluxe (good game!!)
Jack Lumber
FLY'N (good game!!)
Oozi
Mr. Bree+
Savant: Ascent (people say this is good!!)
Doomed'N'Damned

Mr. Bree is a pretty solid platformer, and its soundtrack is really awesome.

It's only 2.99 in the store, so it's kinda baffling how quickly it turned into bundle fodder. Already been in two.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 23, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'd like to thank Kragger99 for gifting me Halfway to test out and write impressions about. The guy is a legend, I'm playing it right now.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Velvet Sundown may be the best game ever if it stops crashing all over the place.

I was Malik, a wealthy businessman with a terminal illness trying to spread my blessing to people and meditate with them. Someone gave me an orphan which was great because I'm just gonna die soon so whatever go hog wild. I refused to accept drinks or give my business card to anyone unless they accepted the word of Void Jesus. Then the game crashed and that was cool too.

This game needs a thread.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Fart of Presto posted:

If this means internal flash like in Chrome, I can finally uninstall Adobe's stand alone flash player.

Only Google is allowed to redistribute the Pepper Flash plugin.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Justin_Brett posted:

Mr. Bree is a pretty solid platformer, and its soundtrack is really awesome.

It's only 2.99 in the store, so it's kinda baffling how quickly it turned into bundle fodder. Already been in two.

It was bundle fodder before it even hit steam (one of the Groupees BAG bundles).

Savant: Ascend is fun.

That's a good bundle (if I didn't own them all already, except for Doomed'n'Damned).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Should I play Metro: Last Light with ranger mode on or not?

Unlike Metro 2033 Last Light has a better balance to its difficulties so I'd say that playing with any Ranger Mode for the first game is not necessary, and might actually be ill advisable. If you're more interested in the atmosphere of the game I found Normal on my first time through pretty easy but not so easy that I was just strolling through everything so it maintained a really good feel to it.

Basically unless you're someone whose IMMERSION just gets ruined by HUD's then Ranger mode is no longer a necessity to just make it fun.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finished Wolfenstein 2009 finally after being motivated to finish it after being gifted New Order. Overall I enjoyed the game, but the final boss was pretty awful, with the boss lasting way too long for his own good.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

They're actually supposed to be a happy medium between sticks and a mouse. Valve wants to think their haptic feedback is good enough to make them double as buttons as well but developers have already told them it doesn't work well enough.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Gilok posted:

Velvet Sundown may be the best game ever if it stops crashing all over the place.

I was Malik, a wealthy businessman with a terminal illness trying to spread my blessing to people and meditate with them. Someone gave me an orphan which was great because I'm just gonna die soon so whatever go hog wild. I refused to accept drinks or give my business card to anyone unless they accepted the word of Void Jesus. Then the game crashed and that was cool too.

This game needs a thread.

I just played my first game. I was a bartender and went around giving people drinks while they chatted about tranny dicks for fifteen minutes. Oh and I was simultaneously a secret corporate spy and unwittingly prevented terrorists from blowing up an oil rig.

edit: Yes, this game definitely needs a thread.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 23, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They're actually supposed to be a happy medium between sticks and a mouse. Valve wants to think their haptic feedback is good enough to make them double as buttons as well but developers have already told them it doesn't work well enough.

Every time some new info comes out of their controller, I cannot but think back of the Xbone controller and the absurd fortune Microsoft spent on making different iterations of it including dumb stuff like capability to detect smells. And then they just went with what worked, a decision that if taken from the start would have saved them a disgusting amount of cash.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Every time some new info comes out of their controller, I cannot but think back of the Xbone controller and the absurd fortune Microsoft spent on making different iterations of it including dumb stuff like capability to detect smells. And then they just went with what worked, a decision that if taken from the start would have saved them a disgusting amount of cash.

This line of thought is why every AAA title is the same loving game.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Trustworthy posted:

I just played my first game. I was a bartender and went around giving people drinks while they chatted about tranny dicks for fifteen minutes. Oh and I was simultaneously a secret corporate spy and unwittingly prevented terrorists from blowing up an oil rig.

edit: Yes, this game definitely needs a thread.

VELVET SUNDOWN, SECOND GAME TRIP REPORT:

I was supposed to find a responsible parent to adopt my orphaned, poverty-stricken, South American godchild. So of course I roleplayed a human trafficker, greeting everyone with "I have a tiny human child available for purchase. Would you like to buy her?" followed by showing them a photo of the girl. I started out asking for $100,000, but after ten minutes agreed to sell her for a bag of cocaine, which I snorted with a some sort of businessman who then tazed me.

edit:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 23, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Tower of Guns trip report: I like this game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Trustworthy posted:

VELVET SUNDOWN, SECOND GAME TRIP REPORT:

I was supposed to find a responsible parent to adopt my poverty-stricken South American godchild. So of course I roleplayed a human trafficker, greeting everyone with "I have a tiny human child available for purchase. Would you like to buy her?" followed by showing them a photo of the girl. I started out asking for $100,000, but after ten minutes agreed to sell her for a bag of cocaine, which I snorted with a some sort of businessman who then tazed me.

Bloody hell, I've been resisting getting this even after all the posts you guys have made, but Christ, I'm going to have to play this, aren't I?

...is there a goon group for it? Also, how big is it?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I've put about 2 hours into OlliOlli today, the only thing I've discovered is that years of playing the Tony Hawk games really messes you up when you try to play a game with a different control scheme for tricks

Really though, this game is rad as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, Velvet Sundown is kind of fun despite the jank. I'd be totally up for playing with goons because I haven't had a proper goofy as hell game yet.

• Locked thread