Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

bongwizzard posted:

Yea. It's the "clean it all up after" part that I struggle with.

I just have one of those ottomans with storage inside that i throw all my crap into, I don't have such a sweet fishin' space! My garage is occupied by my couch/games/tv/computer tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

bongwizzard posted:

Yea. It's the "clean it all up after" part that I struggle with.

Good to see my disgracefully messy fishing room is the norm

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

Good to see my disgracefully messy fishing room is the norm

If the camera panned to the left you would see the actual mass, that was the most presentable angle I could come up with. That every six months I freak out and give it a thorough cleaning and reorganizing, then it slowly crawls back to chaos. It's quite overdue for a thorough cleaning and organizing.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

It's time to go fishing! Wish me luck fellow anglers.

Trip report: It was a grind. There were people everywhere, and nobody seemed to be catching anything. I had to wait in line for like 15 minutes just to buy my permit (at 6am). I managed to get one though! He's a sad sight. Scars on his body, fins trimmed by the farm they got this plant from. Had a great time though! Any time I get to put on my boots and my belt knife and go traipse about in nature is a good time.

I'm about to eat that summabitch. F yeah, lunch.

Addition: Pics

Makeshift stringer, lol.

Before I ated him.

Aftermath.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 10, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Got out again for a fish, turned out to be a pretty good day

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You don’t eat the squid tentacles?

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

Got out again for a fish, turned out to be a pretty good day

What are these, and are they as tasty as they are pretty?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Danthrax posted:

What are these, and are they as tasty as they are pretty?

The top one is a pink snapper, they taste OK but not as nice as other things. They get a bit greasy and fishy as they get bigger so that one at 55cm is about as big as you want them if you're eating them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australasian_snapper

The second one is a goatfish, they taste pretty good but are usually pretty small so I don't bother keeping them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_goatfish

LingcodKilla posted:

You don’t eat the squid tentacles?

I use the heads for bait.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
We didn't catch any sharks like kayak dude, but we got some winter walleyes tonight. The temperature was well below freezing, so our rod eyelets were freezing up pretty badly. By the end of it, our braided line was starting to toss out in solid lengths.

Some Vaseline on the eyelets would have helped, but this was our first real battle in the snow. Took five home between the two of us during the hour we were there.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sockington posted:

We didn't catch any sharks like kayak dude, but we got some winter walleyes tonight. The temperature was well below freezing, so our rod eyelets were freezing up pretty badly. By the end of it, our braided line was starting to toss out in solid lengths.

Some Vaseline on the eyelets would have helped, but this was our first real battle in the snow. Took five home between the two of us during the hour we were there.

Nice haul. You're an Onterrible guy right? Where you fishing at? You don't need to tell me your secret spots.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Nice haul. You're an Onterrible guy right? Where you fishing at? You don't need to tell me your secret spots.

I'm down in poo poo hole Lambton County, fishing Lake Huron and the St. Clair River. Hit me up if you want to meet up sometime and pull some fish.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 11, 2017

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gently caress yes, you guys have been busy! I need to get out there and catch something to post. I stayed in this weekend because it is clear and cold, and the Canadians are all posting about their lines freezing. This is the part where I submit to peer pressure, admit that I'm a pussy, and get out on the water. It's 32F, boo hoo hoo.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

These pictures are a couple weeks old. I took my dad fishing at the Skyway pier for a couple hours when he and my mom came to visit for Thanksgiving. Only caught dinkers but it was fun and great bonding, especially when a pelican managed to get one of my rods knocked over into the water. We managed to retrieve it and the pelican was unharmed, hell the pinfish I had caught and put on the hook was still alive so I just rinsed off the reel, recast and reset. We caught a few small jacks and pins using live shrimp and pompano jigs, as well as these little fellas, all of which were returned:

My first ever grouper! About 8.5 inches long.

A ~6 inch snapper

And my first sea robin! This thing was horrifying/fascinating to look at. Also in the shot is my Walmart surf rod I affectionately call "El Cheapo"

I want to take my kayak out to the flats and try to get some trout next weekend. Work schedule has been weird, haven't had the time to go out and fish.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I call those Lizard Fish unless that’s something else entirely.

What did you catch the grouper with?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It looks like a sculpin with wings to me. Where is the Skyway pier? I know it's not the Skyway near me.

Looks like I'm going to take my niece and nephew pier fishing in Charleston over Christmas. I know very little about the fisheries down there, but I believe we're going to be targeting sheepshead.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 12, 2017

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Danthrax posted:

And my first sea robin!

I've had the song Rock Lobster stuck in my head for a few hours now because of this.
I guess there are worse songs...

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

I've had the song Rock Lobster stuck in my head for a few hours now because of this.
I guess there are worse songs...

I get the Wesley Willis classic Shoot Me in the rear end stuck in my head whenever you post.

Rock over London, rock home Chicago. Budweiser: it's the king of beers.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

If that's the Skyway in Tampa, that's probably a lizardfish, and are you certain that's a snapper? It looks more like one of the various species of grunts to me.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I took it as a snapper the first time I scrolled by but yeah, definitely not a Mangrove Snapper.

Here is a picture of one that just pooped on me.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

He looks pretty embarrassed about it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

He looks pretty embarrassed about it.

Speaking of Sheepshead above, they just look embarrassed to be alive. They are the derp fish.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

Speaking of Sheepshead above, they just look embarrassed to be alive. They are the derp fish.

"Guyth hafth you theen my rethainer?"

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

I call those Lizard Fish unless that’s something else entirely.

What did you catch the grouper with?

I thought it was a lizard fish when I caught it, due to the size, colors, and tube-like shape, then I showed that picture to a couple people and they said sea robin. Google images seems to agree with them. I've caught a couple lizard fish before but they looked more like this, with the pointy faces and teeth.

I caught the grouper with a live shrimp on a 3/0 circle hook (and a small split shot weight on the leader) dropped pretty much straight down.

Enigma posted:

If that's the Skyway in Tampa, that's probably a lizardfish, and are you certain that's a snapper? It looks more like one of the various species of grunts to me.

It is indeed the Skyway in Tampa, we were at the St Pete side. And I'm not positive it was a snapper, no. Googling grunts I think it's a white grunt maybe? If so that would make it another first of its kind that I've caught.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Never seen or heard of a sea robin that’s pretty sweet!

Never had the luck of catching any of those fish actually.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Danthrax posted:

I thought it was a lizard fish when I caught it, due to the size, colors, and tube-like shape, then I showed that picture to a couple people and they said sea robin. Google images seems to agree with them. I've caught a couple lizard fish before but they looked more like this, with the pointy faces and teeth.

I caught the grouper with a live shrimp on a 3/0 circle hook (and a small split shot weight on the leader) dropped pretty much straight down.

It is indeed the Skyway in Tampa, we were at the St Pete side. And I'm not positive it was a snapper, no. Googling grunts I think it's a white grunt maybe? If so that would make it another first of its kind that I've caught.

It's certainly a sea robin.

We have a california lizardfish and it's.... not pretty.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

You're probably right about it not being a lizardfish. You'd know if you had a lizardfish because of the giant mouth full of teeth. They are super aggressive and will try to bite you.

The other is not a white grunt. I'm almost positive it's a pigfish, which is another species of grunt.

https://www.theonlinefisherman.com/how-to-fish/big-snook-pigging-out-on-pigfish

By the way, they are called grunts because when in distress they make a loud grunting sound by rubbing their teeth together.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

"Guyth hafth you theen my rethainer?"

Those loving teeth are freaking me the gently caress out dude.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The sheepshead fish has human teeth, but it's okay because it won't give you a psychedelic crisis

I really want to be able to post one of these creeps.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sockington posted:

I'm down in poo poo hole Lambton County, fishing Lake Huron and the St. Clair River. Hit me up if you want to meet up sometime and pull some fish.

hell yeah, I'll have you know though that I seem to be a bringer of back luck when it comes to fishing.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

We're going trolling for trout again on Saturday. We measured the canoe again; it turns out that my buddy was mistaken about the length, and it is legal to attach a trolling motor to it. We caught five trout last time with just paddles, so hopefully we can limit at 10 with the motor and better rain gear. I'll be happy with any at all, of course, but it sure would be nice to cut up a lot of fish this weekend. Seeing tables full of walleye on newspaper makes me loving jealous.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Birthday fishing was a success! I skipped work yesterday and went to the lake. Their website said they were stocking on the 13 so I expected a billion trout everywhere, but they stocked yesterday afternoon instead. After a couple hours of working the shoreline without a bite, I noticed a few guys on the fishing dock across the lake start pulling them in. I went over to find out what they were using and ended up hanging out and catching 4 myself.

Two on mini jigs, two on mini swim baits, lost two, and missed several bites. It was pretty wild for a few minutes there, like 3 people hooked up at once. Here are pics!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Birthday fishing was a success! I skipped work yesterday and went to the lake. Their website said they were stocking on the 13 so I expected a billion trout everywhere, but they stocked yesterday afternoon instead. After a couple hours of working the shoreline without a bite, I noticed a few guys on the fishing dock across the lake start pulling them in. I went over to find out what they were using and ended up hanging out and catching 4 myself.

Two on mini jigs, two on mini swim baits, lost two, and missed several bites. It was pretty wild for a few minutes there, like 3 people hooked up at once. Here are pics!

gently caress yeah! Excellent haul. How were you fishing the mini jigs, just bouncing them off the bottom?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I was casting them out and letting them sink for a few seconds (shallow lake) and just slow reeling with little shakes. The swim baits I was doing the same thing, cast, sink a bit, slow reel until you felt the thump.

These are the swim baits I used:
http://sierraslammers.com/miniswimbaits.html

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
I remembered there is a disused canal behind my parents' house, so I took the kids for some microfishing, expecting to catch sticklebacks or roach and rudd. I just had my 7ft odd light spinning rod and 1000 reel, with a small (12, 14, or 16) hook tied straight to the braid, with a couple lead shots near the hook. Maggots as bait.

Anyway the canal was a bust but we came to a pool that they created a few years prior and it was looking good these days. Threw a couple maggots in and we could see the shoals of roach going apeshit.

With the light set up and braid, you could feel the roach taking the bait and with the drag loose they put up a decent fight for the kids. Their size meant they were ok handling them and using the disgorger to remove the hook, etc.

We got some decent roach, and eventually pulled this beast out: the gudgeon

Similar to a sucker I believe

After a while I thought we must have a lb+ roach on but it ended up being either an F1 or common carp (can't see the barbels and didn't know about F1s at the time):

Just as we were about to leave it happened again but even better and I ended up landing my PB [redfin/European] perch. I didn't have scales on me and I'd put it at 1.5lb at a boast. Not a tank, but definite PB:

Luckily I had my lure bag at my parents' so while the kids ate I went back for the last hour of sunlight with some jigheads and soft plastic paddletails. Unfortunately no more perch but I did manage to foul hook a roach:

I have just caught up with this thread and the other general one, and I have seen a few mentions of UK carp angling...I don't know either. It really loving confuses me.

Arthur Bowlsworth fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 16, 2017

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Nice perch! Doesn't look too far off our yellow perch, besides colouring. That's a honker.

Grabbed a walleye tonight.

Eating it now. :burger:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Back to back fishing nights. Limited out tonight.

21" was the biggest of the night.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Hat trick!:sotw:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Went out before work to see how the new ice fishing line casted out. Ended up getting a 22" walleye, but it was too close to the start time for work. So my fish came into work this morning with me for a few hours. :captainpop:

The fire tiger grubs have been killing it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Ha ha, I guess keeping a dead fish in the fridge it's not quite as bad as microwaving fish-based leftovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I have a coworker who smells worse than week old dead fish so I doubt I would even notice.