Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's at least got more of a plot than Monster Hunter, but yeah, it's Monster Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's a much faster, more action oriented Monster Hunter. Not too horribly grindy til the expansion missions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NikkolasKing posted:

Well when I do get a GCN again, I'd make sure to get both a new copy of Eternal Wings and Origins again. I remember the story of Baten Kaitos pretty well since I absolutely adored the game but I'd make sure to touch up on the lore before going into Origins.

Right now though I think I'd rather just get a PSP. So many games for it I want to play - and all of them JRPGs. What would you guys say are the best JRPGs for the PSP?

Unless you specifically want a GCN for the Gameboy Player, just get yourself a first-gen Wii along with a GCN controller and memory card instead. They play Gamecube games perfectly, and it's easy to get component cables for them so it all looks nice on a flatscreen or HD CRT :allears:.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well even if I do get a Wii it won't be for a good while. PSP and then a PS3 are my consoles to buy in the foreseeable future.'

Thanks for the recs everyone. I think I'm gonna play both Persona 2 games first since now I know you can choose between whether it uses the original or remixed soundtracks. Thus no reason to bother with the PS1 version.

Also Imp your response to both my questions can be the same since Valkyrie Profile has a remake for the PSP. I'd like to try that out too in addition to Brave Story and P2.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The VP remake is almost the same as the PSX version. The only differences are a couple new cinematics and the fact that it's based off the Japanese version, thus lacking some balance tweaks and interface features from the US version.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Are you sure it's based off the Japanese version? It has all the weird censorship from the US PS1 version, like Badrach's cigarette being removed, even though you can totally have a dude smoking in a T-rated game these days without anyone batting an eye. I don't know the gameplay differences though, so maybe I'm just missing something obvious and they reintroduced the censorship for... some reason.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The engine is, the content isn't. The gameplay changes are mostly just little things like not being able to cycle through equipment screens with the shoulder buttons and a few things with slightly different costs. None of them are really reasons not to play it since the US PSX release is $100 used.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 8, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Shadow Hearts II was pretty good. The story was a bit all over the place (it basically "ends" three times over the course of the game) but it was certainly an interesting alternate history take.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

The best monster hunter like game but not monster hunter (lot of grinding and locked animation) is Dragon Dogma.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

In your guys' opinion, what's the simplest mechanic(s) in a game that still manages to scratch that "RPG" itch. Like, what do you think is the most minimalistic thing to still give a game that RPG flare?

allocatable stats?
"equipment" management?
purchasable upgrades?
selectable jobs/classes?

Just as an experiment, I'm trying to make the most distilled minimalistic version of an RPG game in flash, and I'm trying to really hone in on the essence of what makes an RPG. Obviously I want something with user input though and not just a cheesy ProgressQuest clone.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Putting points into stuff to unlock skills, or basically any measure of progression from unskilled to skilled.

But you're going to get as many answers to that question as there are people answering it.

VVVV Thank you for ruining the last hour of my evening, THEY'RE JUST loving BLOCKS STOP CLICKING ON THEM.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 9, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Baldbeard posted:

In your guys' opinion, what's the simplest mechanic(s) in a game that still manages to scratch that "RPG" itch. Like, what do you think is the most minimalistic thing to still give a game that RPG flare?

allocatable stats?
"equipment" management?
purchasable upgrades?
selectable jobs/classes?

Just as an experiment, I'm trying to make the most distilled minimalistic version of an RPG game in flash, and I'm trying to really hone in on the essence of what makes an RPG. Obviously I want something with user input though and not just a cheesy ProgressQuest clone.

Already exists http://www.nekogames.jp/g.html?gid=PRM

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Man, I gotta give this game props for also having the slot machine that solves all your problems gear wise just like most Dragon Quests.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Baldbeard posted:

allocatable stats?
"equipment" management?
purchasable upgrades?
selectable jobs/classes?

For me it'd be any one of those, and choices about plot, either just by having some non linear moments or quest lines with different options at various posts. For action RPG lites that have attracted me the past decade, Ultimate Marvel Alliance and Dungeon Siege 3 are close to a platonic ideal. Which have everything except the allocatable stats, and instead of jobs/classes, they have characters you can pick which have different abilities, but also have a personality behind them you aren't playing as a wizard, you're playing as Dr. Strange or the weird electric gnome dude from Dungeon Siege 3.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Do the treasure chest panels actually work?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

FewtureMD posted:

They become usable panels when certain things happen.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

FewtureMD posted:

There's some pre-req to unlock them, basically like achievements. No clue what the pre-reqs are other than the obvious one of unlocking all panels, and I think getting all the letters in Nekogames. I had unlocked all but one by the end, and the only thing I hadn't done by that point was buy all the upgrades.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's one for maxing out the blue combo meter, it gives you a one time gift of $200 times your level.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
How rude, they didn't give me anything for beating the postgame superboss.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

fronz posted:

How rude, they didn't give me anything for beating the postgame superboss.
What the gently caress would they give you? Isn't there literally nothing left to do at that point? It's not even like the usual console RPG trick of "You have beaten by far the hardest thing in this game! Have a weapon you just proved you don't need" because you can at least go beat things up with that.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Zereth posted:

What the gently caress would they give you? Isn't there literally nothing left to do at that point? It's not even like the usual console RPG trick of "You have beaten by far the hardest thing in this game! Have a weapon you just proved you don't need" because you can at least go beat things up with that.

Hentai picture

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

I don't appreciate your language, friend

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Baldbeard posted:

allocatable stats?
"equipment" management?
purchasable upgrades?
selectable jobs/classes?

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Yeah, I played a lot of Dragon Warrior growing up, there's where I'm drawing a lot of inspiration from. I'm thinking something along the lines of a game that is like a simple RPG bot almost. Like you do some management stuff, and then set it to grind a map, and then check back on it to do more management stuff to prepare for the next map. That way it would be even simpler than a Dragon Warrior game, but less monotonous as well.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Baldbeard posted:

Yeah, I played a lot of Dragon Warrior growing up, there's where I'm drawing a lot of inspiration from. I'm thinking something along the lines of a game that is like a simple RPG bot almost. Like you do some management stuff, and then set it to grind a map, and then check back on it to do more management stuff to prepare for the next map. That way it would be even simpler than a Dragon Warrior game, but less monotonous as well.

That sound a little bit like My Life As A King. Have you played that? I loved the hell out of it even if it was produced on a shoestring budget and way overpriced.

Now that I think about it, it would also be a perfect mobile game. Square, where's my sequel?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Baldbeard posted:

There's a game called Battle Without End on Kongregate that you might want to check out. The only idle rpg I've played that I didn't totally hate.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Baldbeard posted:

allocatable stats?
"equipment" management?
purchasable upgrades?
selectable jobs/classes?

The Monsters Den series would be something you might want to check out if you're doing a flash lite rpg game. There's just the right mix of strategy and rpg elements to make it pretty fun.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's a game called Battle Without End on Kongregate that you might want to check out. The only idle rpg I've played that I didn't totally hate.

This game is pretty close to what I'm talking about actually. Chill out with the features, make the management part more impactful, and make the combat less bonkers random -- and its basically the game I'm working towards.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Any trip reports on Atelier Escha and Logy? It has been getting good marks so far. Also, what is the difference between the two characters? I hear that the only difference is events and story despite the game saying that it effects gameplay.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unlucky7 posted:

Any trip reports on Atelier Escha and Logy? It has been getting good marks so far. Also, what is the difference between the two characters? I hear that the only difference is events and story despite the game saying that it effects gameplay.

There's no difference in the characters apart from point of view/events and an ending you can only get while playing as each character. So far I've been enjoying it, though it seems a lot more restrictive that Ayesha, instead of 'here's three years go off and do whatever' you have a main project that has to be done in three months or you've 'failed' though I imagine that only means you get a worse ending eventually. The projects have been incredibly easy to do in the time given as well, I've never even come close to failing and I'm about halfway through now. You also have a bunch of non-critical side projects that you get bonuses for completing within the time period, and I've only missed one of those so far (can't get a loving Fire Core with Meteor property to save my life :argh: ).

Combat wise it's basically the same as Ayesha, except now you have three active characters and three supports you can swap out as any time, a bit like FF X.

VVVV If you've played any of the other Atelier games it's a bit more combat/exploration orientated but not by much, but yeah it's fun. As for PS3 versus Vita, if you can get the PS3 version for cheap I'd go for that unless you really need all the DLC or to be able to play it in the bathroom.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 13, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Ayesha, I see that on the cheap. Would that game be recommended as well? I know there is a Vita port coming.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

So on a whim I decided to play through the FFIV Collection for the PSP, and discovered that I can steal Sirens in the post-game. I've played through FFIV in one form or another probably 10 or so times, but I've never gotten the Pink Tail because it seemed so grindy. I've read that the odds that a monster drops something is 1/20, and the odds of the tail dropping is 1/64, so I figured that as long as I had 99 Sirens, I could just turn on Auto-Battle and get the tail in maybe a couple resets. Now I've fought over 1000 battles with these guys (over 5000 enemies killed), having reset 10 times, and not a single tail has dropped. Plenty of Fuma Shurikens though. Has anyone here gotten the Pink Tail before? Is this normal, or am I just really, really unlucky?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Is the PSP one a port of the DS version? If that's the case, your odds are very different because every time you get a drop, it overwrites the previously-dropped item. Also the tail's drop rate is 1/256. In classic FF4, the Flan Princess mob is guaranteed to drop an item but only drops one per encounter; I'm not sure how this changed in the DS port because I was pretty sick of it by the time I escaped the Underworld.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The PSP port isn't a port of the DS version. I think it's based on the GBA version? I know it doesn't have bands or 3D models or anything.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's not quite a 1/20 chance of anything dropping, but it's close enough for the most part (actually just slightly over that, because its 5/98 but doesn't make too big of a difference). Problem is, of course, that means the chance of getting the Pink Tail is, uh, very very low. It needs to drop anything at all, and it needs to be the Pink Tail specifically so you actually have odds that work out as 0.07% of any given Pink Puff/Flan Princess dropping it. Not really worth it, to be honest.

So, yeah, taking over 1000 battles is completely normal.

e; Oh, and if you're in the Complete Collection then you can make it slightly quicker by using the Lunar Ruins. There's a Flan Room there that has a fight with 8 of them instead of the usual 5.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

It's not quite a 1/20 chance of anything dropping, but it's close enough for the most part (actually just slightly over that, because its 5/98 but doesn't make too big of a difference). Problem is, of course, that means the chance of getting the Pink Tail is, uh, very very low. It needs to drop anything at all, and it needs to be the Pink Tail specifically so you actually have odds that work out as 0.07% of any given Pink Puff/Flan Princess dropping it. Not really worth it, to be honest.

So, yeah, taking over 1000 battles is completely normal.

e; Oh, and if you're in the Complete Collection then you can make it slightly quicker by using the Lunar Ruins. There's a Flan Room there that has a fight with 8 of them instead of the usual 5.

Unfortunately the Siren doesn't summon that encounter when used. Fighting in the Lunar Subterrane works better for me because I can just crank the battle speed to max, turn on auto-battle, use a Siren and do chores or something while the battle resolves itself.

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 17, 2014

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of Ayesha, I see that on the cheap. Would that game be recommended as well? I know there is a Vita port coming.

It's been a pretty fun experience so far. The game feels a lot closer to the Iris/Mana Khemia games than a more traditional Atelier game, especially with the way they pretty much divide each year into 3 blocks and give you a list of goals to complete. The gameplay difference is mostly in which attack items Escha and Logy can use, since some of them are limited to one of the two, and the lead you don't pick can't get their ultimate item for that run.

Combat looks like it revolves a lot more around having good attack items during the endgame like Meruru, instead of turning your alchemist(s) into more of a dedicated healer and supporter while everyone else murders everything for you like in Totori/Ayesha. They also removed some of the little touches from Ayesha's combat system(back attacks, special support skills, and bonuses to attacks for being at a certain distance) in exchange for the 6 character party and a system that really wants you to chain support attacks together for a super support attack.

There's actual story bosses this time around, and you get most of your characters by the middle of the second year, instead holding one off until the end of the main plot and hiding another one behind a side-character arc like Ayesha does.

As for Vita version vs. PS3 version for Ayesha, the Vita ports for the PS3 Atelier games have been pretty good beyond some occasional slowdown during certain enemy types, and I expect Ayesha Plus to run the same. They also seemed to add a lot more stuff to the Vita port as incentive to get it beyond just adding in the DLC and calling it a day.

I think the PS3 version would still be slighty cheaper even after you got all the DLC for it if you wanted, but it's really up to you if you want to play it on the TV or have it available where ever you want.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
This is a game recommendation request, I'm asking here instead of the specific thread since there's a lot of rpg knowledge here.
Can anyone recommend me some RPGs with great crafting? Hopefully an interesting and useful part of the game. Games I have played include Rune factory (all three) great crafting but short and frankly annoying trying to deal with limited recipes per day, Mana Khemia (played the one with the boy and the cat and atelier annie) crafting was good but I kind of lost all will when I realized atelier annie had a time limit.

SO hopefully someone here has a few recommendations they can make!

fake edit: being able to gather materials outside of combat would be really nice. Also have heard that dragon quest 9s crafting is good?

fake edit 2: DS, PSP, PC games preferably!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
If you want game-breaking crafting systems the PSP Star Ocean games are pretty fun and almost good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Grathmelding from the first Ar tonelico is still my favorite system.