Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Worf posted:

ugh God I need to rewatch that

I just watched kira and butthurt dukat in the cave again, I am so glad they got marc alaimo to do that role for his six seasons

I feel really bad for Nana Visitor having to deal with him for six seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

lmao if you haven’t already added stardate to your spellcheck, just lmao

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Kesper North posted:

I feel really bad for Nana Visitor having to deal with him for six seasons

Oh no, is he a creep in real life?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FishFood posted:

Nothing specific, but there were some vague statements in The Fifty-Year Mission that Alaimo was difficult to work with due to his intensity. It's also telling that he's one of the only major actors who didn't appear in the DS9 documentary (they just used archive footage from the DVD releases). His career also essentially flatlined after DS9 ended.

Again, nothing specific, but when it comes to Trek actors, it's not hard to guess that when there's smoke, there's fire.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I always thought if Kramer had an rear end in a top hat estranged dad, Alaimo could totally play him.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Timby posted:

Nothing specific, but there were some vague statements in The Fifty-Year Mission that Alaimo was difficult to work with due to his intensity. It's also telling that he's one of the only major actors who didn't appear in the DS9 documentary (they just used archive footage from the DVD releases). His career also essentially flatlined after DS9 ended.

Again, nothing specific, but when it comes to Trek actors, it's not hard to guess that when there's smoke, there's fire.

Oof, that's a bummer. I was in an acting program for three and a half years so I know the type. Could be anything from uncomfortable to work with to complete monster.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Didn’t Alaimo push for a Dukat/Kira romance, while Visitor was hard on the ‘oh hell no’ approach?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I thought the Visitor/Alaimo thing was that she found his character repulsive and had a hard time seeing him as anything other than Dukat.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Zaroff posted:

Didn’t Alaimo push for a Dukat/Kira romance, while Visitor was hard on the ‘oh hell no’ approach?

the best part about their relationship was her telling him to gently caress off every 2 minutes and get lost / commit less genocide next time

It sucks that he was a bajoran for s7 because kai winn cooperating with him to get her own goals done intentionally would have been in character and more interesting imo, and a better use of Louise Fletcher

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The one good thing about the Dukat/Winn plot line is when she realizes what happened and goes to Kira genuinely contrite, right up until she realizes that she might have to give up power. Then she decides she'd rather go worship Satan with Hitler

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

StashAugustine posted:

The one good thing about the Dukat/Winn plot line is when she realizes what happened and goes to Kira genuinely contrite, right up until she realizes that she might have to give up power. Then she decides she'd rather go worship Satan with Hitler
She was such a good character

They really lucked out in being able to get Louise Fletcher for that role

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

They really lucked out in being able to get Louise Fletcher for that role

lol young me was not prepared for mean kai winn :(

i really hated how she always was plotting against DS9 lol

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FishFood posted:

Timby posted:

You both need to watch "What We Left Behind". Not only is it mostly fantastic and hilarious, but it does an incredible job of juxtaposing Nana Visitor talking about how freaked out she was by Marc Alaimo and literally making the writers swear that they would never create a romance plot between those two characters, and Marc Alaimo talking about how hot Nana Visitor was and how much she was clearly into him.

It leaves little doubt that there is little difference between Marc Alaimo and the character he played, and that he utterly lacks self-awareness about that fact.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lack of self-awareness is near the top of the list for Gul Dukat's character traits.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
it's so bulbous and derpy, truly alien

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Who’s the best outsider character: Data, Odo, The Doctor, or T’pol?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Odo because he knew when to grunt.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

*sagely* Seven of Nine

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Easy, T’po—

zoux posted:

*sagely* Seven of Nine

never mind.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
None of those are Outrageous enough.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

What if we include Guinan?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

What if we include Guinan?

Guinan is like the most insider character there is. People go to Guinan to get their poo poo straightened out when THEY feel like the outsiders.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Guinan is like the most insider character there is. People go to Guinan to get their poo poo straightened out when THEY feel like the outsiders.

She's so inside she's outside

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Data is a good, solid outsider archetype, he's the model for every outsider that comes after

Odo being torn between wanting to come out of his shell to be with Kira and craving to rejoin the Great Link adds an interesting wrinkle to his characterization, plus he's the only one of the batch who makes the final choice to reject society and return to his enclave

The Doctor is just a fun, sardonic guy with the strongest fascination with everyone he's surrounded by, and I think he'd be the most enjoyable one of the bunch to befriend

Seven of Nine is the least personable of them, by contrast, but she probably has the most satisfying conclusion to her arc

I've only watched like four Enterprise episodes so all I know about T'pol is that she's grouchy and won't touch food with her fingers

Honorable mention for Saru, at least the season 1/2 version of him; the idea of a sapient prey creature dealing with its orthogonal instincts in a world of omnivores and carnivores is another interesting way of making an outsider distinct

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FishFood posted:

Not at all. Weird Trek fans gave invented and canonized head canon in their imaginations that he must have been harassing her nonstop because he made a joke that their characters should have gotten together in the documentary.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Odo's the best because he has regular humanoid emotions and recognises that he has them, but he's just a dick

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why are we not counting Spock in this discussion? He’s the archetype for all of those characters.

Regardless, the correct answer is Data.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

No Dignity posted:

Odo's the best because he has regular humanoid emotions and recognises that he has them, but he's just a dick

Riker makes an innocent statement about something and Data rattles off a bunch of surrounding facts and context because he's a big-brain android.

Worf makes an innocent complaint about DS9 and Odo rattles off a bunch of security breaches and fuckups aboard the Enterprise because he's been waiting for this moment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why are we not counting Spock in this discussion? He’s the archetype for all of those characters.

Regardless, the correct answer is Data.

Yeah it's Data.

I'm not sure that the doc qualifies as an outsider, at least not in the way that the Designated Outsider was. I mean, he used contractions and everything.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

She's so inside she's outside

Fittingly, she also sleeps on the bare hull outside Ten Forward.

Well, it looks like sleep, at least.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol i like that Q doesnt even gently caress with guinan

awesome touch

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Watched Latent Image last night, which is a fantastic episode of captial S capital T Star Trek. It helps that it's centered around the two best actors on the cast, and they deliver marvelously. Also, really sharp dialogue. It's too bad that Braga interfered with Menosky's final scene like he did. Next up is Bride of Chaotica, and I plan on developing an idiosyncratic opinion on it. Something like "actually it's bad" or the like.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Worf posted:

lol i like that Q doesnt even gently caress with guinan

awesome touch

I love that the Q Continuum and the El-Aurians fought each other to a stalemate in some kind of mind war, yet that has no bearing on her and Q’s relationship at all. Q just loving hates Guinan, and that’s it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Man with what we saw in First Contact and now in Strange New Worlds I wish we had had a human character put Archer in his place on Enterprise.

Earth owes *everything* to the Vulcans. In 2063 the planet was dying. If Archer resents them he can gently caress right off!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Man with what we saw in First Contact and now in Strange New Worlds I wish we had had a human character put Archer in his place on Enterprise.

Earth owes *everything* to the Vulcans. In 2063 the planet was dying. If Archer resents them he can gently caress right off!

I'm pretty sure that loving further off than any human had ever done was his main thing?

But I'm pretty sure Enterprise tried to do flawed characters like on Battlestar Galactica, where Archer was just a bit too eager to do all the things now.

Enterprise question after just finishing season 3: if we accept the Xindi=Muslims reading, what does that make the Sphere Builders? Because I was getting some uncomfortable Illuminati/nwo/etc vibes...

Also the Nazis invade America plot was dumb as poo poo.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BonHair posted:

I'm pretty sure that loving further off than any human had ever done was his main thing?

But I'm pretty sure Enterprise tried to do flawed characters like on Battlestar Galactica, where Archer was just a bit too eager to do all the things now.

Enterprise question after just finishing season 3: if we accept the Xindi=Muslims reading, what does that make the Sphere Builders? Because I was getting some uncomfortable Illuminati/nwo/etc vibes...

Also the Nazis invade America plot was dumb as poo poo.

I took the Sphere Builders as a either space Saudi Arabia or space Halliburton. The season ended up being fairly progressive in its messaging for early 2000s “git them terrorists” television, even if for the Xindi kinda turning out to be mostly good guys who were misled by a manipulative power with a ton of resources.

The Nazi cliffhanger was very explicitly a gently caress you to the new show runner Manny Coto, who took over in season 4.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I honestly don’t hate the Nazi two parter because it’s so inherently goofy and I actually like the guy who plays the one Suliban dude teaming up with Archer.

It’s also almost worth it for the “what the hell?” moment of P-51s trying to shoot down the Shuttlepod in the cliffhanger.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I remember when the cliffhanger was leaked by probably-Okuda on TrekBBS and everyone thought it had to be bullshit because it was so stupid lol.

I also liked it. And Coto did an entertaining job of wrapping it up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait, another ST besides VOY did a Nazis two-parter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Star Trek and Nazis: two not-so-great tastes that apparently want to be tasted together