Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
i have a onkyo 7.1 speaker system, that sounds banging but am looking to buy a new tv and thinking about upgrading to the costco denon box.

Will i need to replace my speakers or will the denon be able to shine with my current onkyo ones. I bought my onkyo speakers in 2013 i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

RoboBoogie posted:

i have a onkyo 7.1 speaker system, that sounds banging but am looking to buy a new tv and thinking about upgrading to the costco denon box.

Will i need to replace my speakers or will the denon be able to shine with my current onkyo ones. I bought my onkyo speakers in 2013 i think.

is it a HTiaB (Home Theater in a Box)?

Are they HTiaB pack-in speakers (they must be if they’re Onkyo brand)?

You can do much much better my friend, even if you spent <$100 per new speaker and they were all brand new and sealed-in-box (ie not used or refurb).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Come to the side of real speakers. It only hurts a little.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Honestly I can't imagine any normal speakers that wouldn't sound better than the little stock ones, even with the same receiver.

Lower volumes most likely, but most people aren't even in the top half of their volume knob, so I don't think it's that big of an issue.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

You can do much much better my friend, even if you spent <$100 per new speaker and they were all brand new and sealed-in-box (ie not used or refurb).

To clarify this confusing post: even the cheapest “real” speakers, from Amazon or Monoprice, will likely poo poo all over your Onkyo speakers

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm going to be that one dickhole that's going to ask why you're talking about changing something you're happy with... Once you start to circle the black hole that is audio upgrades you can never escape and you will never know happiness again.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
My only guess is wanting ARC for a new TV? That's the only real benefit I got from a newer Onkyo (but bought because old one died)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Get the best of all possible worlds and Get the Sony Ht-A8

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, I have a weird question.

I 've got a five point surround klipsch audio setup with subwoofer run through a Denon amplifier and connected to my desktop PC.

I got a 4k display for the PC and i've started watching movies through it and (recently) listening to music with deeper, more resonant bass tracks than I'd generally listened to before.

I have a glass-front bookcase on the wall to the right of the PC. The glass panels are inset into wooden frames.

Problem: when watching movies or listening to audio with heavy bass, the glass fronts of the bookcase rattle and resonate with the music. They're quite loud and significantly clash with the rest of the audio.

I've tried wedging some kleenex into the frames but that doesn't dampen them enough. Any other ideas? Maybe put little bits of felt on the glass? Any thoughts?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
You can move the sub around and see if it helps. If you want to tinker you could try applying film to the glass panels or even clear mass loaded vinyl but I doubt it will work or look good aesthetically.

Beyond that, take the doors off or turn down the sub. Single pane glass resonates super easily.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KS posted:

You can move the sub around and see if it helps. If you want to tinker you could try applying film to the glass panels or even clear mass loaded vinyl but I doubt it will work or look good aesthetically.

Beyond that, take the doors off or turn down the sub. Single pane glass resonates super easily.

what sort of film or vinyl? link?

The location of everything is kinda locked in unfortunately due to space constraints, and there's no way to remove the glass short of breaking it. Turning down the subwoofer doesn't actually seem to help much even -- it doesn't take much woof at all to make them rattle, as you say, resonates super easily.

edit: something like this? https://acousticalsolutions.com/product/audioseal-clear-sound-barrier/ ? except not a thousand dollar roll? I only need, like three square feet? I guess six if I cover both sides.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 11, 2021

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Is the sound from the glass itself or is it a rattle between the glass and the frame?

If it’s the latter, a flexible silicone caulk can help. The difficult part is that you would want the caulk to go fully around the shelf, which means shimming it up partially, caulking it, removing the shim, and caulking the rest.

Your Kleenex idea was basically doing a less effective version of this. Make sure the caulk is flexible so that the glass can have some movement. I’d hate for you to shatter the shelf.

If it’s the glass itself, your only option is really to load down the shelves to where they aren’t noticeable. Mass loaded vinyl works great for this. The stuff you found is the right stuff. It can be found WAY cheaper… if you don’t mind black.

I’d try clear silicon caulk first, personally. What you describe sounds more like a frame rattle instead of a glass resonating sound.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I'm not sure if the rattle is the frames rattling in the bookcase, the glass panels rattling in the frames, or both.

Any specific caulk y'all would suggest? Any clear silicone caulk?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I like the idea of a pair of bookshelf speakers mostly for watching TV, but I don't like the ideas of
• a fuckoff giant amp/receiver with two dozen inputs
• a (lil stereo) amp that has its own power button/volume knob/input switcher
. Is there anything that I can plug into my TV and into a pair of speakers that doesn't require janitoring every time I wanna watch TV?

Seems like hypothetically there could be a device that fits on my shelf, takes eARC (or optical?) from the TV, allows the TV to control volume, and turns on/off along with the TV. But I can't find this mythical device.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

pokeyman posted:

I like the idea of a pair of bookshelf speakers mostly for watching TV, but I don't like the ideas of
• a fuckoff giant amp/receiver with two dozen inputs
• a (lil stereo) amp that has its own power button/volume knob/input switcher
. Is there anything that I can plug into my TV and into a pair of speakers that doesn't require janitoring every time I wanna watch TV?

Seems like hypothetically there could be a device that fits on my shelf, takes eARC (or optical?) from the TV, allows the TV to control volume, and turns on/off along with the TV. But I can't find this mythical device.

You could get a pair of powered speakers. There aren't many that have anything but 3.5mm or RCA inputs, but these have optical:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-reference-4-35w-2-way-powered-monitors-pair-black/6241807.p?skuId=6241807

I'm not sure if you can actually control the volume through optical with these though. I'm guessing no. However, some TVs do have a setting for variable volume for their analog audio outputs. If your TV has both of these, you could just connect any powered speakers to the TV via an analog output and would be able to control the volume that way.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Good call on powered speakers, I think I ruled them out for no good reason (I can't remember why, I started thinking about this months ago) and I will rule them back in.

Unfortunately I have no analog out on my TV, but I didn't know that setting was ever a thing so that's good to know. And yeah fair point about volume and optical out, I didn't really expect that to be a thing.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

pokeyman posted:

Good call on powered speakers, I think I ruled them out for no good reason (I can't remember why, I started thinking about this months ago) and I will rule them back in.

Unfortunately I have no analog out on my TV, but I didn't know that setting was ever a thing so that's good to know. And yeah fair point about volume and optical out, I didn't really expect that to be a thing.

Sounds like you want a NAD D3045, slim, small, hdmi arc input, sub out if you want to supplement bass later on.

https://nadelectronics.com/product/d-3045-hybrid-digital-dac-amplifier/

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

DoesNotCompute posted:

Sounds like you want a NAD D3045, slim, small, hdmi arc input, sub out if you want to supplement bass later on.

https://nadelectronics.com/product/d-3045-hybrid-digital-dac-amplifier/

This looks nifty, thanks!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I originally read that post as you liking the idea of a fuckoff huge receiver with 2 dozen inputs and I got nostalgic for the good old days of everyone having a completely overkill receiver for their lovely Sony cabinet speakers with ripped cones.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ARC ports on 2 channel gear are getting more common but typically on higher end stuff, that NAD is one of the cheapest. It would be incredible if SMSL or Topping got on board and you could get a little amp with ARC for ~$250. Other similar products would be the Sonos Amp and Bluesound Powernode which also have music streaming built in. On the high end there's a lot of little all in one systems like the NAD M10/C700, Naim Uniti, Cambridge Evo, Lyngdorf TDAI, etc. all unfortunately starting at 2 grand.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure if the rattle is the frames rattling in the bookcase, the glass panels rattling in the frames, or both.

Any specific caulk y'all would suggest? Any clear silicone caulk?

Brand shouldn’t matter at all. Just make sure it’s permanently flexible.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

qirex posted:

ARC ports on 2 channel gear are getting more common but typically on higher end stuff, that NAD is one of the cheapest. It would be incredible if SMSL or Topping got on board and you could get a little amp with ARC for ~$250.

Yeah, this would be awesome. I've slowly come around to the realization that I only want two speakers and maybe a sub if I'm feelin' froggy, and a cheap-ish little stereo amp with ARC that wasn't PS5-size would be a godsend.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah it was a very big box - what kind of speakers should i be looking for?

Ok Comboomer posted:

To clarify this confusing post: even the cheapest “real” speakers, from Amazon or Monoprice, will likely poo poo all over your Onkyo speakers

I have been living a lie

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm going to be that one dickhole that's going to ask why you're talking about changing something you're happy with... Once you start to circle the black hole that is audio upgrades you can never escape and you will never know happiness again.

falz posted:

My only guess is wanting ARC for a new TV? That's the only real benefit I got from a newer Onkyo (but bought because old one died)

Arc is available on my current receiver. I guess I wanted to see if its worth the upgrade to Atmos sound or if i should hold off.

FilthyImp posted:

Get the best of all possible worlds and Get the Sony Ht-A8

Thanks for the suggestion, this might work well! just need to find $1800

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RoboBoogie posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, this might work well! just need to find $1800
It's actually more like $2400 since you need the optional $600 sub to make the sound fuller!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

IMO don't even think about Atmos until you have a couple grand in normal speakers and subs. There's a ton of marginal improvement for all material investing in LCR and subs. Basically there's always sound coming out of your front 3 so they should be the main focus. Elevation speakers to me are firmly in the "nice to have" camp. I personally wouldn't bother unless I was building an actual theater room. If you decide you must you should be looking at in-ceiling or mounted ones like this, bounce speakers are weak.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

It's actually more like $2400 since you need the optional $600 sub to make the sound fuller!

alright back to the street corners for me

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Apartment living has finally convinced me to abandon my unnecessary Klipsch floorstanders and center channel in favor of a sound bar.

Went to test them at Best Buy and the Bose 900 is my favorite, but holy poo poo what were they thinking putting a reflective glass top on it? Reflection from the TV is almost definitely going to be super distracting. Maybe even a deal breaker. I simply can’t believe someone signed off on that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tacier posted:

Apartment living has finally convinced me to abandon my unnecessary Klipsch floorstanders and center channel in favor of a sound bar.

wha-wha-wha—

I could see you dropping floorstanders for bookshelf, but a soundbar?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

wha-wha-wha—

I could see you dropping floorstanders for bookshelf, but a soundbar?

I need a bigger TV stand and it’s hard to find a nice looking mid-century one with space for a full size center channel and ventilation for a receiver and game console. I could ditch the center, but I don’t like my floorstanders that much anyway (Klipsch Icon series).

Atmos and simulated surround sound look fun too, and I never listen above 70db anyway.

Edit: Does anyone else actually prefer the sound of a small speaker (<5”) for casual listening? If that’s heresy I’ll just show myself out…

Tacier fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 15, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Tacier posted:

Edit: Does anyone else actually prefer the sound of a small speaker (<5”) for casual listening? If that’s heresy I’ll just show myself out…

Personally, no, but they're your ears.

Going for a soundbar because of a media unit you don't own yet seems weird. I have the B&O soundbar for casual TV watching and it's OK, but definitely inferior to separate speakers. Looks great though.

I have a Treku Aura media unit which are super configurable. If you get something like that you can make it fit.

https://www.treku.com/en/blog/producto/aura-collection/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tacier posted:

I need a bigger TV stand and it’s hard to find a nice looking mid-century one with space for a full size center channel and ventilation for a receiver and game console. I could ditch the center, but I don’t like my floorstanders that much anyway (Klipsch Icon series).

Atmos and simulated surround sound look fun too, and I never listen above 70db anyway.

I have an irrational love of the Klipsch La Scala II floor speakers on purely aesthetic grounds and one day I'll have a house large enough to justify them.

What I use at my desk is the klipsch 5.1 reference pack and I'm overall very happy with it. I did have to buy an aftermarket monitor stand to lift my LG c1 OLED screen up a few inches to fit the center channel beneath it.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Is the sound from the glass itself or is it a rattle between the glass and the frame?

If it’s the latter, a flexible silicone caulk can help. The difficult part is that you would want the caulk to go fully around the shelf, which means shimming it up partially, caulking it, removing the shim, and caulking the rest.

Your Kleenex idea was basically doing a less effective version of this. Make sure the caulk is flexible so that the glass can have some movement. I’d hate for you to shatter the shelf.

If it’s the glass itself, your only option is really to load down the shelves to where they aren’t noticeable. Mass loaded vinyl works great for this. The stuff you found is the right stuff. It can be found WAY cheaper… if you don’t mind black.

I’d try clear silicon caulk first, personally. What you describe sounds more like a frame rattle instead of a glass resonating sound.

trip report: a little clear silicone lining the edges of the bookcase so that the window frames rest against it when closed completely solved the rattle issue, thanks!

It didn't take a full seal or fancy work with shims. Just a little blob in the corners was enough to dampen the rattle.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 15, 2021

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Glad to hear it worked. Rattles suck.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

TheMadMilkman posted:

Glad to hear it worked. Rattles suck.
I get mad every time I hear someone drive by with a huge car stereo who didn't bother to spend a literal dollar on rubber washers making their license plate not rattle.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

It's about time to retire my Denon AVR-X1000 that I bought back in 2014. I'm using ARC for the sound because I got a 4k tv and this receiver doesn't pass through higher than 1080p or HDR. Unfortunately, the bigger problem is that a lot of stuff we've been trying to watch lately uses audio codecs that either output incorrectly or end up simplified down to Stereo. There's an update for additional Dolby codecs but my receiver's menus have stopped working so I can't connect via wifi or wired to update the firmware.

Currently I have 2 SP-FS52 Pioneer Andrew Jones Standing speakers, 2 of the matching Bookshelf AJ speakers, 1 SP-C22 Center Channel, and I'm waiting on a replacement Polk PSW505 Sub. I've got a ps4 and ps5 hooked up to it for games, tv, and movies.

I'm looking for a receiver that can power what I have, handle 4k and HDR passthrough, and will handle whatever I want to watch on it instead of the coin flip I have going now. Variable Refresh Rate would be nice, but honestly I'm fine with how good 4k 60hz stuff looks on the tv. The handful of 4k Blurays I bought today were the final kick in the rear end I need to replace this receiver. All 6 Blurays only have Dolby Atmos sound, so I'm left with stereo sound on all of them. Also a lot of the streaming video on Hulu shows as Dolby Digital Plus on my receiver, and it outputs as a high pitched chirpy sound that freaks my dogs out. I have to manually swap to PCM and settle for Stereo on most Hulu content.

What are my good options here? I'm not planning on adding any additional speakers to my setup.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The latest Denons are the probably best choice, the 660H, 760H, 960H or X1700 are all good and reliable with many 2.1 features. The new Onkyos and Pioneers are decent too but there's basically no inventory right now. All the ones I mentioned have 3 40gbps ports which is what you want for high framerate 4k and they should handle whatever codecs.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Thanks! I can't bring myself to watch 4K HDR Greedo say "Maclunkey" in 2 channel sound.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jolo posted:

Thanks! I can't bring myself to watch 4K HDR Greedo say "Maclunkey" in 2 channel sound.
Movie remixing from the early Dolby stuff is pretty bad, since they just funnel basically everything through the center channel except for specific spatial effects so once you upgrade you'll really be hearing greedo in mono.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Star Wars has had enough attention to it that it’s better than that, but pretty true of a lot of catalog pre surround titles.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Even modern movies are mixed like that, I'd guess a lot of post-2015 stuff is closer to 90% of all audio in center including music which is just :psyduck:

If I was budgeting for a theater system now I think 80% of the money would go to the center and subwoofers, everything else is a "presence" speaker.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Jolo posted:

It's about time to retire my Denon AVR-X1000 that I bought back in 2014. I'm using ARC for the sound because I got a 4k tv and this receiver doesn't pass through higher than 1080p or HDR. Unfortunately, the bigger problem is that a lot of stuff we've been trying to watch lately uses audio codecs that either output incorrectly or end up simplified down to Stereo. There's an update for additional Dolby codecs but my receiver's menus have stopped working so I can't connect via wifi or wired to update the firmware.

Currently I have 2 SP-FS52 Pioneer Andrew Jones Standing speakers, 2 of the matching Bookshelf AJ speakers, 1 SP-C22 Center Channel, and I'm waiting on a replacement Polk PSW505 Sub. I've got a ps4 and ps5 hooked up to it for games, tv, and movies.

I'm looking for a receiver that can power what I have, handle 4k and HDR passthrough, and will handle whatever I want to watch on it instead of the coin flip I have going now. Variable Refresh Rate would be nice, but honestly I'm fine with how good 4k 60hz stuff looks on the tv. The handful of 4k Blurays I bought today were the final kick in the rear end I need to replace this receiver. All 6 Blurays only have Dolby Atmos sound, so I'm left with stereo sound on all of them. Also a lot of the streaming video on Hulu shows as Dolby Digital Plus on my receiver, and it outputs as a high pitched chirpy sound that freaks my dogs out. I have to manually swap to PCM and settle for Stereo on most Hulu content.

What are my good options here? I'm not planning on adding any additional speakers to my setup.

This is a wild shot (and you should probably buy a new receiver anyway) but is your TV a TCL by chance? I had trouble with ARC outputting from my TCL r635 if I left the TV speakers on, but if I go into the TV's settings and turn the TV speakers off manually or switch it to HDMI out only it makes it output lossy dolby and DTS correctly.

Edit: I think you also have to choose Dolby and DTS as supported outputs as well