Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shamelessly yoinking this from Knorth:
https://twitter.com/aurahack/status/930559073921183745z
https://twitter.com/tomokokurokiiii/status/930141127319212034

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Charles_Kinbote posted:

Japanese literature apparently features the Roman poet Virgil incarnated as a refrigerator. One of their Nobel laureates won the Nobel Prize for literature for a story about deliberating over murdering his retarded newborn baby, and another one of his stories involves himself becoming a nervous wreck after going through with it. Yet another writer is well-known for a mass suicide at an army base.

Zany Japanese post-modernism is a thing. Yoko Taro merely works in the tradition.

Yukio Mishima, one of the most renowned and respected authors in 20th century Japanese literature, stormed a military base with four other people, held the commander hostage, and demanded that the Emperor be reinstated as the absolute sovereign of Japan(in the year 1970, long after anyone might have gone for that).

He then became the last known person to commit seppukku until a former Olympic gold medalist Judo practitioner did it in 2001

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm glad that the honest to god, actual 2B and 9S thought it would be fun to do a photo shoot.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/912330861151887360

Can you imagine if someone had posted in the original Drakengard thread that its fourth sequel would be nominated for Playstation game of the year?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

So I finally got around to TDI's Drakengard LP... so... yeah...

Alaan
May 24, 2005

La la la la la speak not the watchers.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Alaan posted:

La la la la la speak not the watchers.

on the other hand, if you speak of the watchers you end up here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Can you imagine if someone had posted in the original Drakengard thread that its fourth sequel would be nominated for Playstation game of the year?

"Wait. They made a sequel?"

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

ultrafilter posted:

I think I heard about this earlier specifically because N:A wasn't nominated for the Game of the Year category. Considering over half the comments consisted of "Where the hell is Nier!?", it's a pretty big oversight.

Though perhaps the worse snub was the complete lack of soundtrack-related nominations. Have they LISTENED to this game's OST at all?

I earnestly hope they lost most of their viewer base over this tragedy of poor decisions.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Aeolius posted:

I found exactly one use for it: While going nuts in the infinite-spawn areas with Berserk Mode on, the Repair program is a handy way to keep your health up during a lull between waves without wasting inventory.

I like to think Jackass would approve of longer 'zerk killstreaks.

Small heals cost approximately nothing and you hold 99 of them. Plus 99 medium heals and 99 large heals, which cost slightly more than approximately nothing.

Bufuman posted:

Though perhaps the worse snub was the complete lack of soundtrack-related nominations. Have they LISTENED to this game's OST at all?

I earnestly hope they lost most of their viewer base over this tragedy of poor decisions.

That's a super weird nomination to skip. Maybe they looked at A Beautiful Song and thought "man, this game is full of itself" and didn't listen to it. Obviously if they had listened to it they would instead have thought "huh, what an accurate title".

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Yeah, good thing that that boss' theme being beauty and obsession doesn't factor into the title at all.

Also it really is a beautiful song.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
So Jackass is basically Mad Stan from Batman Beyond where the solution to all life’s problems is BLOW IT UP?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HR12345 posted:

So Jackass is basically Mad Stan from Batman Beyond where the solution to all life’s problems is BLOW IT UP?

Is she voiced by Henry Rollins?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

HR12345 posted:

Is that an uncommon opinion?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

really queer Christmas posted:

Plus, even if your data gets uploaded and then downloaded on a new platform, that’s not the same “you” that just died. That you is dead and isn’t coming back, the new you just has that ones memories.

Worth remembering that 2B and 9S canonically died twice in the game (in the prologue and at the beginning of route C) with the first death being treated pretty importantly, and the second one not so if only because of how much chaos was going on at the same time. Plus yeah, a couple of the androids got corrupted and the others were seen as expendable from the moment the mission started.

I just wish the plot gave that more attention instead of kinda keeping it window dressing to the point most people forget about it when they talk about the game. A missed opportunity to wring some existential dread out of the player

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

HR12345 posted:

Maybe Jackass is the Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight from The Tick.

"An object at rest, cannot be stopped! How about you eat this mackerel, baby! Oh yeah!"

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Nina posted:

I just wish the plot gave that more attention instead of kinda keeping it window dressing to the point most people forget about it when they talk about the game. A missed opportunity to wring some existential dread out of the player

every time you fast travel you're pulling a soma and none of your copies are remotely concerned, it seems like less of a missed opportunity and more like space for weapon stories the expanded universe

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm mildly disappointed Jackass didn't give you a batch of Edrugs and a Mackerel.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nina posted:

Honestly I'm kind of glad they didn't, although 2B's breakdown about it felt very out of character given the lack of discussion about it prior. "Oh no 9S might have to revert to the memories he had just before he suicide bombed the boss orb :ohdear:" (yes I know he turned off backups so it would have been further back but she didn't know that)

If the fast travel vending machines have been around for any length of time the idea of "your memories are what make you you, ergo wherever your memories are that's you" would be pretty well entrenched, no existential crisis necessary.

What I am surprised at is the lack of duplicated-memory bots running around, at least so far, but maybe the fast travel systems all have failsafes because they saw firsthand the problems with that scenario at some point in the last 10k years and said "aw hell no".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Honestly I'm kind of glad they didn't, although 2B's breakdown about it felt very out of character given the lack of discussion about it prior. "Oh no 9S might have to revert to the memories he had just before he suicide bombed the boss orb :ohdear:" (yes I know he turned off backups so it would have been further back but she didn't know that)

If the fast travel vending machines have been around for any length of time the idea of "your memories are what make you you, ergo wherever your memories are that's you" would be pretty well entrenched, no existential crisis necessary.

What I am surprised at is the lack of duplicated-memory bots running around, at least so far, but maybe the fast travel systems all have failsafes because they saw firsthand the problems with that scenario at some point in the last 10k years and said "aw hell no".

Apparently, the risk of duplicates is why YoRHa has those creepy helmets.

It helps reduce the risk of existential crisis when you don't see your own face staring at you across the battlefield. As long as you don't know it's you, you don't have to think about how you just got killed horribly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jackass is extremely good.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Stuff like this is apparently pretty common in Japan. I think Persona got a whole loving concert dedicated to it.

This is from a few pages back, but there are MULTIPLE persona stage plays. And musicals. The Persona Fighting games got stage plays of all things. Japan really likes its stage plays. A lot more than it likes the things those plays are based off of sometimes. Did you know there are like 4 prince of tennis stage plays running at any given time in the greater Tokyo area?

On the subject of memory and face duplicates, there are already multiple lookalikes in YohRa running around. A2 and 2B both use the same physical template. If not for the hair, they'd be twins.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Ryushikaze posted:

On the subject of memory and face duplicates, there are already multiple lookalikes in YohRa running around. A2 and 2B both use the same physical template. If not for the hair, they'd be twins.

I mean, A2 isn't YoRHa and YoRHa were doing their damnedest to stomp her out but you're right they're the same "person" template

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nina posted:

I mean, A2 isn't YoRHa and YoRHa were doing their damnedest to stomp her out but you're right they're the same "person" template

A2 is YorHa. Just a prototype, not production.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The pods have called her "YoRHa unit A2" a couple dozen times now, along with many other people referring to her as YoRHa.

A2 and 2B even have the exact same facial birthmark in the exact same spot.

...! fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 15, 2017

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

exploded mummy posted:

A2 is YorHa. Just a prototype, not production.

Too surly and dirty for mass production. 2b was the more cheerful, personable redesign.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

...! posted:

The pods have called her "YoRHa unit A2" a couple dozen times now, along with many other people referring to her as YoRHa.

A2 and 2B even have the exact same facial birthmark in the exact same spot.

The distinction seems more physiological than cultural. A2, 2B and 9S are internally different in anatomy and functionality than the models the Resistance belong to. (They mention that androids are regularly working on modifying themselves to be more human. The only thing they actually can't do is have children.)

So A2 is YoRHa model, but doesn't actually belong to YoRHa. Just like White is actually an older generation model but belongs to YoRHa.

In a world of mass produced chassis, IFF signal may actually be more important to individual identity than faces or bodies.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Maybe A2 and 2B are the program, or "sisters" the same way Adam and Eve were.

I was about to type this wouldn't include android orgies....but....:yokotaro:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Andyzero posted:

Maybe A2 and 2B are the program, or "sisters" the same way Adam and Eve were.

I was about to type this wouldn't include android orgies....but....:yokotaro:

why would you write this post

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Don'tbecreepy.jpg

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Jetrauben posted:

The distinction seems more physiological than cultural. A2, 2B and 9S are internally different in anatomy and functionality than the models the Resistance belong to. (They mention that androids are regularly working on modifying themselves to be more human. The only thing they actually can't do is have children.)

So A2 is YoRHa model, but doesn't actually belong to YoRHa. Just like White is actually an older generation model but belongs to YoRHa.

In a world of mass produced chassis, IFF signal may actually be more important to individual identity than faces or bodies.

The only reason A2 doesn't belong to YoRHa is because she deserted when she realized that Command's intent was always for her to be killed in Pearl Harbor and for them to use her combat data to create 2B.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Frionnel posted:

Don'tbecreepy.jpg

So Yoko Taro wouldn't do this?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Andyzero posted:

So Yoko Taro wouldn't do this?

i don't think WWYTD is the right litmus test for non-creepy forum posting

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Now I want a WWYTD wrist band.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Andyzero posted:

Now I want a WWYTD wrist band.

I would never let anyone wearing one of those near a child, ever.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zoe posted:

I would never let anyone wearing one of those near a child, ever.

Or anything alive in general.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Hey, he let Emil live, he can't be all bad right? right?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Corte posted:

Hey, he let Emil live, he can't be all bad right? right?

Death is a release. An end to suffering.

Someone as innocent and happy as Emil must never be granted that mercy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You're all worried for nothing. There's a whole village full of machine children that nothing bad has happened to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Remember: Emil is only happy and cheerful because he lobotomized himself by cloning himself over and over.

• Locked thread