Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

speaking of not graduating high school...

My [22M] GF [20F] just started her third attempt at finishing high school, but after two weeks she has yet to go. Do I tell her if she fails again it's over to motivate her, or let her find out the hard way?

My girlfriend's been dealing with depression and anxiety for multiple years, taking pills for them. They help, but she seems to suck at motivation and pushing herself. FWIW, we're in a long distance relationship so I'm not present in person all the time so can't push her IRL very often to get things done. It's also worth noting for attempts 2 & 3 that she cannot drive, but she is practically "married" to her mother since they are always around each other so there is no excuse she cannot get a ride to school.

A quick history of this. High school attempt 1 was when she was enrolled in high school, like what should've been a student's first and only time, i.e you do your 4 years and you're done, since around age 18 you graduate. But nope. She was doing a homebound education of sorts where she'd meet a teacher once or twice a week at a local library and they'd go over work, she'd get some assignments to complete, etc. She also had to do work online. Then apparently she aged out of the program but didn't realize this was a thing until she got notified she was dropped. This was two and a half years ago, April 2015.

She took a while off. August 2017 I went with her to her school so she could re-enroll for high school completion, since they have programs where you can get your diploma or your GED. She was only a few credits away from a diploma, plus diplomas seem to be favored a little more in the world of employment depending on the type of job you're going for, so why not. With high school completion you can go to the local school to do work on their computers Monday through Thursdays, 2-8PM. As long as you're there a minimum of 8 hours a week, you're meeting the attendance criteria. After a month, maybe a month and a half, she had so many absences she got dropped and was told she'd have to re-enroll at the next semester. Her excuse to me was "she misunderstood attendance I guess". She was more focused on hanging at home. Her family was moving from an apartment to a house during this time but it doesn't take weeks and she could take off 2 hours*4 days a week, 4 hours * 2 days, whatever to go to school and do some work. When people move they aren't spending 24/7/365 for several weeks focusing on moving 3 miles down the road.

This takes us to attempt 3, the end of January 2018. Today marks two weeks since high school completion for this semester began and the total number of times she's shown up is zero, so she already has two weeks of absences in the bag out of however many it takes for the school to drop her again.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated by her inability to get things done. We're together 5 and a half years but the last 3/4 of the year has been filled with frustrations regarding her like this one. Being with someone who cannot push themselves even when you try to push them is a turnoff and not a trait I desire from someone. She's also notorious for saying "I'm going to school tomorrow" but then she ends up not. She's said she's been sick the last 2 weeks but really? So sick you can't do 8 hours of school a week but can hang out at home no problem? I doubt it. She just feels so lazy to me sometimes. Yesterday I also suggested that she get in touch with her school to see what number of absences/lack of hours makes you get dropped so she can't pull the "I didn't know" card again, but will she do it? We'll see.

She knows I really want her to finish school and I've straight up said to her that I'm tired of her poo poo and inability to get things done. I can't decide if I should say to her that if she fails again I'm done, or if I should keep my mouth shut and let her find out the hard way if she fails. I'm like 60% the latter one, because why should I have to threaten that in order for her to finally (hopefully) get her act together after all this time?

tl;dr girlfriend sucks at attending high school completion which is only a minimum of 8 hours a week, time she certainly has but instead sits at home. Attempt #3 just started 2 weeks ago but she has yet to attend. I can't decide if I should say to her that if she fails again I'm done, or if I should keep my mouth shut and let her find out the hard way if she does indeed fail, which based on 2 weeks in and already zero attendance from her, I'm not feeling very optimistic about her getting that diploma.

edit it's a bit late to include but she did have a crying breakdown last month about how she feels like a failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [22M] GF [20F] just started her third attempt at finishing high school, but after two weeks she has yet to go. Do I tell her if she fails again it's over to motivate her, or let her find out the hard way?

edit it's a bit late to include but she did have a crying breakdown last month about how she feels like a failure.

I've got bad news...

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"practically 'married' to her mother" is an ominous phrase

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Bro, she's a failure and probably real loving dumb. Get out before she gets pregnant and you're stuck having to make joint life decisions with someone who needs at least four tries to hit what is basically the slowest pitch society is going to throw at her.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Hmmm, let's parse that story again and see what we find:

Well that's forgivable...but then:

So there's one piece of missing info, aka "not communicating like a goddamn adult"

He's willing to move his plans to the weekend so she/they can go out to dinner with her mother, fair enough. Now here's the fun part you probably missed or just skimmed over:

Real winner there in the adult maturity and communication department - he's willing to compromise, she won't budge, tells him the birthday won't matter by the weekend...and it's somehow HIS fault?

Yeah, she can take her bullshit somewhere else honestly - the plans for oral/massage/flowers/etc. really has no bearing on the situation at all. She's being a petty bitch and sounds like a manipulator IMHO.

...are you the husband?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It seems like the wife is really bummed because nobody did anything for her birthday. I know her husband asked her repeatedly about that, but this is one situation where it's better to err on the side of caution and do something. Especially if this is someone that you love, for God's sake!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I [18F] had an argument with my brother [27M] about me doing his class work for him, may have ruined our relationship.

quote:

This isn't a new occurrence. When I was in high school my brothers had me edit and sometimes write their university papers. I didn't want to, but my parents convinced me to "help out the family" and "stop being selfish," so I did it (Asian guilt). They eventually started writing papers on their own, only emailing me occasionally to summarise and edit articles for them.

Recently however, my eldest brother decided to take advance Japanese classes in order to impress his associate. He's took Japanese for a year when he was 14, right now he can barely read script. I have taken Japanese for the last 5 years and am good at it, but nowhere near fluent. He asked me to tutor him Japanese over Skype, which I'm more than willing to do. Unexpectedly though, the lessons haven't consisted of me teaching him.

He gives me his coursework, and I go through it before the lesson. Because it's advanced, I spend a couple of hours researching to make sure I have it right. Then we read through it together, and I teach him the sentence structures through Skype. At the end there are some questions he has to answer in his actual Japanese class.

In the first Skype session, I told him that he could write it the answers himself, and I would correct his mistakes. He said that he wasn't fluent enough, so we went through it together. I let him know then that this stuff was too hard since he was just beginning and that he should switch to an easier class. He said that he would ask the teacher about it (then he never mentioned it again for the weeks to come). The lessons gradually became less of us doing it together, and more of me doing all the work for him. He gives me what he wants to say in his class in English, and basically expects me to write a script for him, which I then help him memorise before class. He hasn't learnt anything at all, like the first week he can barely read the script.

Today when we were going through the questions I told him firmly that he should write it himself and could email it to me so we can go through it together, and he can actually learn. Even if what he writes is bad, actually forming sentences together himself will help him. He started making up a bunch of excuses about how this was beneficial for me, and how he doesn't have the time since he's a medical student.

I told him that the classes aren't for me, they're for HIM, and if he didn't have time, he shouldn't have signed up for the classes. He blew up at me and basically told me his time was more valuable than mine since I'm in the summer holidays. This is true, but I'm studying overseas like him, and want to spend as much time as possible with my friends before I leave (I'm going half the world away, and since flights are expensive, I won't or will rarely see them). Also, if I keep helping him like this, did he expect this to continue even when I had to start university?

Preparing the classes, writing the script for him, and going through it takes hours of my days away. That doesn't really matter though, it's the feeling of being completely used since I'm once again covering for his rear end. He got really angry with me when I insisted that he answered the questions himself, even when I said that I can help him go over any mistakes or areas he couldn't understand. He then said he was quitting the class, blamed me for not helping him, and hang up.

I feel really guilty. I hate confrontation so it's usually very difficult for me to say no. This was a few hours ago, and just now he sent me a message saying "I quit the classes, but thanks anyway." Hard to tell if he's being sarcastic or sincere over text, either way I feel terrible now.

Did I make the right choice? Is there some compromise I haven't thought of? How should I respond? I don't want this to ruin our relationship.

tl:dr my brother took up an advanced Japanese class, I've been doing the work for him, finally told him to write it himself (with my help afterwards), he's quit and blames me.
Japanese classes ruin lives.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Haifisch posted:

I [18F] had an argument with my brother [27M] about me doing his class work for him, may have ruined our relationship.

Japanese classes ruin lives.

More like she has poo poo brothers.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Bogus Adventure posted:

More like she has poo poo brothers.
:thejoke:

Her whole family sucks, really.

OP posted:

My dad and I never had much of a relationship, we live apart and I only see him once a year so it's uncomfortable between us. Anyway, it turned out my dad had been cheating on my mum for 16 years. After a very lengthy split, my mum told me specifically that she didn't plan on contacting my brothers and I. During the split she kept trying to get us to ask my dad to "ditch the other girl" which he wouldn't do because he loves her. He wants both the other girl and my mum, as well as that he has a son with her so contact couldn't be split even if he wanted it. My mum blames us for not helping her, and plans on living very far so we have limited contact.

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

If your girl wants to make beer money by selling her turds, who cares? Do you want her turds? So long as she's smart and only ever does the "drop" in a public place with lots of witnesses, fine. Manipulating perverts pays better than McDonald's.

Seriously. My neighbor makes 20k/month being mean to dudes online a few hours a day from the comfort of her home, that is drat good work if you can get it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [19F] boyfriend [20M] of three years cut my hair in my sleep as a “prank”

Okay, so a little backstory. My boyfriend is obsessed with watching couple pranks on youtube and loves to recreate some. Here are some of the “pranks” he has pulled on me in the last few months.

He’s locked the bathroom door in our apartment so I couldn’t go in (this lasted for hours until I found the key to unlock it)

He’s pretended that his car broke down so I drove two hours to pick him up.

He’s switched out our nondairy milk for dairy although I’m lactose intolerant.

And now, he’s cut 4 inches of my hair off in my sleep. I don’t know what to do anymore. I don’t want to immediately break up with him, I want to work through this, but I don’t know how. I don’t know how to convince him that most youtube pranks are fake, and he’s taking these very real, and too far.

TL;DR: my boyfriend is obsessed with youtube pranks and is taking them too far.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My boyfriend is obsessed with watching couple pranks on youtube and loves to recreate some
auto-:sever:.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Okay, so a little backstory. My boyfriend is obsessed with watching couple pranks on youtube and loves to recreate some. Here are some of the “pranks” he has pulled on me in the last few months.

He’s locked the bathroom door in our apartment so I couldn’t go in (this lasted for hours until I found the key to unlock it)

And now, he’s cut 4 inches of my hair off in my sleep. I don’t know what to do anymore. I don’t want to immediately break up with him, I want to work through this, but I don’t know how. I don’t know how to convince him that most youtube pranks are fake, and he’s taking these very real, and too far.

Dude is aware most of the YouTube prank couples split up, right? Because that poo poo isn’t sustainable?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The first "prank" your boyfriend or anyone else pulls on you you tell them they can have one more chance and if they ever try to pull this poo poo again they're gone. IF the prank is mild.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Break up with him and put it up on Youtube.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Every prank post is so absurdly stupid I want to yell. I feel like I could be a prank counselor at this point - if you're gonna pull that obnoxious poo poo at least be a unified front and focus your pranks on the rest of the world. I thought everyone on okcupid wanted a "partner in crime" not a "crime victim".

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Boyfriend [23m] had a horrible reaction towards me over a small thing I asked... now i'm crying and i feel heartbroken

quote:

Me and Andy have been together 4 years

He still lives with his parents and I live on my own now. We live relatively close to each other and it is ok.

Even if he theoretically lives with his parents, around 5-6 days/week every week he stays at my place. I have nothing against it, I even invited him.

I cook for both everyday and I give him even food for work. He comes home around 6 pm very tired and here comes the problem.

He basically started to do NOTHING in the house unless I beg him and he does it being moody telling me I always work 'at night' (aka after 6-7 pm) but this is only because that's when we come home and I do house work. I also went under a surgery and i am physically limited. Can't lift any weights and can't do a lot of things - like carrying loundry, taking trash out (we have to walk a bit - the big trashcan is a bit far)

However I still do this and I put my health at risk again. He gets mad when he sees me doing work because he tells me to just ask him. But I got tired to ask him and only hear complaints, see moody faces and a bad tantrum. It is exhausting for me.

It's been weeks since he did anything at my place. Today I had some cosmetic appointment but i canceled everything to make his meal for when he comes home. Yesterday at midnight Right after shower I spent 1 hour in the kitchen cooking for him to give him lunch at work

I love to take care of him even though he doesn't ask but this way we both save money and eat healthy.

However today after we ate I asked him to take out the trash before we left (we went at some friends)

Again the usual moody atitude commenting and bluffing that gets me exhausted. After that he said ' why don't you take out the trash in smaller packages so that you can carry it? '

I told him angry that he hasn't done anything in this house for weeks

He just yelled ' I AM NOT YOUR loving MAID '

I felt really like poo poo and heartbroken

Even if he apologized I still feel like poo poo. HE SAID HE DIDN't mean this but he is tired of doing my housework.I never put him pay rent, buy groceries, pay utilities. I pay everything and i don't expect anything until we fully move together (even though we kinda stay togeher). But I felt like poo poo hearing this just for asking him take out the trash

I started to cry and he told me to 'stop this poo poo and hurry up because we are late '.

He then apologized in the car many times but I know he ment what he said deep down.

I feel really really sad... he helped me in my recovery but I always wanted to hire a maid and he refused categorically saying he can do this (he only used the vaccum cleaner and washed the floors. It's a tiny space).

I'm crying alone in my car and I feel like poo poo

Tl;dr: bf refused to help me clean the house. He mostly stays at my place but not 'officially'. I cn't do much physycal work because of a surgery recovery. he got mad cuz i asked him to take out trash. The most details are in the text above
Boyfriend useless lump, so what.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Every prank post is so absurdly stupid I want to yell. I feel like I could be a prank counselor at this point - if you're gonna pull that obnoxious poo poo at least be a unified front and focus your pranks on the rest of the world. I thought everyone on okcupid wanted a "partner in crime" not a "crime victim".

Most of what passes for pranks these days is either assault or property destruction. "Prank! I cut your hair!?" I mean WTF? At least do something funny and that isn't going to piss someone off. Also, women in general don't like pranks, so don't try to prank them because it won't be funny. In fact, pretty much nobody but college boys likes pranks.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

Boyfriend [23m] had a horrible reaction towards me over a small thing I asked... now i'm crying and i feel heartbroken

Boyfriend useless lump, so what.

setting everything else aside "the big trashcan". Does a 20 something really not know the word dumpster? It would be applicable here because it's where the boyfriend belongs too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Could just be a non native speaker thing, "the big trashcan" being more or less a direct translation of whatever they call it there.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Maybe he just really respects the Dumpster trademark and doesn't like to call it that unless he knows for certain it's an authentic Dumpster.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Could just be a non native speaker thing, "the big trashcan" being more or less a direct translation of whatever they call it there.

I understand this is gonna sound incredibly racist but when I ask for the background on half the words my girlfriend teaches me in mandarin and they have explanations that sound like a toddler put two simple words together to describe a more complex thing it never gets old.

Like a descriptive language is obviously very practical but I can't help but notice how juvenile the direct translations sound.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

setting everything else aside "the big trashcan". Does a 20 something really not know the word dumpster? It would be applicable here because it's where the boyfriend belongs too.

I got the impression that English is not her first language.

Edit: waited a few min to hit post and am so beaten.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

I understand this is gonna sound incredibly racist but when I ask for the background on half the words my girlfriend teaches me in mandarin and they have explanations that sound like a toddler put two simple words together to describe a more complex thing it never gets old.

Like a descriptive language is obviously very practical but I can't help but notice how juvenile the direct translations sound.

That's also like most languages. English is just weird because it got corrupted by Latin.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

AnoHito posted:

That's also like most languages. English is just weird because it got corrupted by Latin.
And some of our words look fancy but are just two simple words put together, but from a different language. Like tele(far)phone(voice/sound).

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Why the gently caress does this guy care about this lady getting her GED? Higher education is obviously not in her future. I can't even imagine what job or how this lady could gently caress up in such a way that management gets rid of her by saying she lied about the Education portion of her empty resume instead of firing her outright.

Pushing your long term long distance girlfriend to get a GED is like the fractal version of the sunken cost fallacy.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Something Awful Forums > Main > GBS: Home of xenForo 2.0 > /r/relationships: the fractal version of the sunken cost fallacy.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
https://www.reddit.com/r/occult/comments/7ul6fe/orgasms_andor_sexual_thoughts_feed_an_entity/

Not quoting either of the full posts

quote:

I don't even have bizarre fetishes, just vanilla cowgirl stuff. Almost immediately following orgasm, I can feel these sort of etheric clots, usually in my limbs. Heavy and foggy, like a dark veil. It's not just that, but foreign thoughts are injected into my mind. If I surrender, the flow won't stop and soon my entire body and mind could become engulfed by that dense haze. In the worst of situations, I can feel something expand under my skin and just take control. Effortlessly if I surrender. I'll be watching my hands perform increasingly intense and bizarre symbols and gestures, and have no input in the matter. Then it'll force me to masturbate even more, feeding it so that it's influence grows larger and control tightens.

Excorcism through exercise and listening to Bulgarian folk choir helps so, so much.
One recent thing that tripped me out, was towards the climax of masturbation, an image of an angel woman entered my mind. Beautiful beyond belief, clear as day, volumltious, blonde hair, bouncing ontop of me. The orgasm felt cosmic, but then I saw that ** I EJACULATED BLOOD**. Like, what the gently caress? The face of true evil is beautiful, deceptively beautiful

That’s not healthy

https://www.reddit.com/r/occult/comments/7ul6fe/orgasms_andor_sexual_thoughts_feed_an_entity/dtoa99v/

quote:

...As it was riding me, I had the sudden thought, what if the hag reflected in my cat's eyes is the very thing that I'm having sex with right now? ...

:stare:

(Also, this thread really needs a index or table of contents, it sucks trying to find funny older posts)

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 9, 2018

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Nckdictator posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/occult/comments/7ul6fe/orgasms_andor_sexual_thoughts_feed_an_entity/

That’s not healthy

https://www.reddit.com/r/occult/comments/7ul6fe/orgasms_andor_sexual_thoughts_feed_an_entity/dtoa99v/

(Also, this thread really needs a index or table of contents, it sucks trying to find funny older posts)

*this is fine comic but the flames are black*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

listening to Bulgarian folk choir helps so, so much.

glupak

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

So we are down to making fun of people with schizophrenia now?

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

therobit posted:

sometimes schizophrenics see creepy walking shadows, so they're actually racists

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

/r/relationships: Excorcism through exercise and listening to Bulgarian folk choir helps so, so much.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

therobit posted:

Can we make fun of the people assuming this is OP just being really repressed and not having Serious Mental Problems?

redditor posted:

First, if you ejaculate blood, you need to see a doctor, preferably an urologist as soon as possible. Get it checked out.

Second, you might want to consider the option that you are denying part of yourself and that has formed in to a shadow self, as described by C.G. Jung. Maybe reading his work and finding a therapist who does Jungian psychoanalysis would be a helpful place to start. I would also recommend voice dialogue method and the book "Embracing Ourselves".

Thirdly, you might want to check out the concept of "sexual transmutation" as described by Napoleon Hill in his book Think and Grow Rich. Here's a primer http://www.proctorgallagherinstitute.com/15287/demystifying-sex-transmutation

Otherwise, it's the usual occult recommendation of daily meditation, banishing, grounding and centering.

I hope you will get better soon!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The first "prank" your boyfriend or anyone else pulls on you you tell them they can have one more chance and if they ever try to pull this poo poo again they're gone. IF the prank is mild.

Do this, then when they think you've forgiven them, yell "PRANKED!" and dump them anyway

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Nckdictator posted:

That’s not healthy

I originally envisioned this as like, a best of thread, but the tap ran out and the thread is thirsty. I kinda feel like some really good old ones should be reposted at least. If someone wants to compile a list of links to them that'd be cool and I could link it or put it in the OP.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

mllaneza posted:

/r/relationships: Excorcism and listening to Bulgarian folk choir helps so, so much.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

What was the original SA throw acid in face and yell PRANKD post?

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I originally envisioned this as like, a best of thread, but the tap ran out and the thread is thirsty. I kinda feel like some really good old ones should be reposted at least. If someone wants to compile a list of links to them that'd be cool and I could link it or put it in the OP.

yeah we only made it to like 6000 pages when you count all the threads. Pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
can someone post the Carcosa story, I can't find it