Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zurui posted:

Wizard School just went up. The theme and art look great but $45 shipped seems a bit steep for 172 cards (or $30 shipped for 150 cards).

This just sounds like Munchkin. With player elimination, which may be a boon for a game that sounds like Munchkin.

ChiTownEddie posted:

7th Continent went up and funded basically instantly.
I need to read the rules/watch the rahdo but the concept is that you're stranded on a new continent and you must survive a choose your own adventure card game. That is a terrible description for what seems like an insanely cool and innovative game though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1926712971/the-7th-continent-explore-survive-you-are-the-hero/description

This sounds like a cool concept, but Kickstarter exclusives just don't give me confidence in the product, especially for something with a buy in of $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

You've sold me on this already, but here's a question: how much of the game would you say is teenage drama, compared to just being drama? "Super heroics with a focus on messy relationships" can go to some very unconventional, cool places such as Doom Patrol and Hitman, not just Runaways and Ms. Marvel.
Hard to say without seeing the full text, but it does seem to focus pretty much on teenage drama (proving yourself, growing into who others want you to be, discovering who you really are). That said, I think you could make it general drama with just a few tweaks, like changing the Moment of Truth mechanic.

DigitalRaven posted:

So could you run Pizza Dog as the Bull?
Don't have to; this is one of the BishopBeacon's moves:

□ C'mon, Lucky: You have a pet of some kind, a smaller companion that supports you and helps you out. Detail it. Choose 3 basic moves. Tell the GM how it helps you with them. Whenever your pet could help you, take +1 to that move. If your pet ever gets hurt, treat it as taking a powerful blow.

e: I would just like to point out that the pitch for that 7th Sea game refers to "those adventure books where 'you are the hero'" no less than three times.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 29, 2015

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Is there an option for a telepathic link with a Velociraptor?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Janus has animal control as a power option, but that doesn't really fit Old Lace. I've never really gotten into Runaways so I don't know what playbook would apply.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
A buddy of mine just launched a Kickstarter for his deckbuilding card game called Steamcraft: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mikegnade/steamcraft-a-steampunk-deckbuilding-card-game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HprewPxpDXY

quote:

Steamcraft is a strategic deckbuilding card game for 2-4 players (ages 10 and up) and plays in about 30 - 60 minutes. It takes place in a Steampunk universe where each player takes on the role of a different corporation hiring the best employees, constructing building, and manufacturing steam-powered machines. Players battle and sabotage each other to amass economic wealth and influence to win the game.

quote:

4 Player Components:
4 Personal Starting Decks (40 cards)
5 Corporate Reserve Decks (25 cards)
4 Mining Platform Cards
100 Labor Market Cards
100 Design Department Cards
50 Brass Point Tokens
10 Hit Point Tokens
Full Color Rulebook
A Nifty Box

Exclusive Extras for Backers:
Any and All community created cards from the ENGINEER Tier (up to 5 cards)
more to be announced...

2 Player / Alpha Components:
2 Starting Decks (22 Cards)
3 Corporation Starting Reserve Decks (15 Cards)
50 Labor Pool Cards
40 Design Pool Cards
30 Brass Point Tokens
5 Hit Point Tokens
A Nifty Box

It also says on the page that the 2 player deck can be combined with the 4 player deck to make a 6 player game which I wasn't aware of before. As someone not really into deck building games I definitely enjoyed it and the guys creating the game have a solid history as they run IndieGameStand.com and started IndieGameMag.com back in the day. Please give it a look!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

PST posted:

The Delta Green Kickstarter has gone live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-role-playing-game

On top of the base game, an extra $50 gets the hardback of 'The Fall of Delta Green' being written by Ken Hite. It's not a stretch goal but I'm going to guess will come out some time after the main book.

It went live about 30 mins ago and is already over $10k which isn't bad for an 18 year old roleplay setting.

:cthulhu: Delta Green Kickstarter update. :cthulhu:

Funded to 40K in less than four hours.

New objectives to unlock!

quote:

Stretch Goals

This project is moving fast! Here are some of downloads and books you'll be able to get as Add-On Rewards (see below!) when we hit these new funding targets...

FUNDED! THE AGENT'S HANDBOOK: Everything you need to play Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game.

FUNDED! "VISCID": A new Delta Green scenario by Dennis Detwiller, wherein the agents find that even magic has a half-life. ADD-ON COST: $5.

AT $50K, "OBSERVER EFFECT": A new Delta Green scenario by Shane Ivey. Most physicists think a new lab's experiment to study the nature of reality won't reveal a thing. Your Delta Green agents might learn otherwise. ADD-ON COST: $5.

AT $120K, THE EXPANDED CORE BOOK: This big, color hardback will have everything from the Agent's Handbook plus a Game Moderator's view of the setting and ton of new material for running Delta Green campaigns, customizing the setting and the threats, and keeping your players surprised and scared. ADD-ON COST: $70.

And we have a lot more to come....

quote:

Developers and Key Personnel

DENNIS DETWILLER—WRITER, EDITOR, ILLUSTRATOR: One of the co-creators of Delta Green and co-owner of Arc Dream Publishing, Dennis also created or co-created the tabletop roleplaying games Godlike, Wild Talents, Nemesis, and Insylum. Currently design director at Harebrained Schemes (Necropolis), he was previously VP of Creative at Warner Bros. International Enterprises and produced bestselling mobile and console games for Nickelodeon, Hothead Games, and Radical Entertainment (Prototype). He's still asked to autograph cards he painted in the early years of Magic: The Gathering.

ADAM SCOTT GLANCY—WRITER: One of the co-creators of Delta Green, Scott is president of Pagan Publishing, where the first Delta Green books were produced. He oversees its line of Call of Cthulhu sourcebooks to this day: most recently Mysteries of Mesoamerica, Bumps in the Night, and the forthcoming Horrors of War.

JOHN SCOTT TYNES—ADVISOR: One of the co-creators of Delta Green, John founded Pagan Publishing and the seminal Cthulhu Mythos gaming magazine The Unspeakable Oath. He led the production of the first few Delta Green game and fiction books: Delta Green, Countdown, Alien Intelligence, The Rules of Engagement (collected in Strange Authorities), and Dark Theatres. He co-created Atlas Games' Unknown Armies, which is soon getting a long-awaited new edition of its own. For years he designed PC and console video games. These days he manages the Imagine Cup for Microsoft.

SHANE IVEY—WRITER, EDITOR: Co-owner of Arc Dream Publishing and a former newspaper copy editor and magazine editor, Shane has managed and edited the last few Delta Green game and fiction projects: Eyes Only, Targets of Opportunity, Through a Glass, Darkly, Strange Authorities, Tales from Failed Anatomies, and Extraordinary Renditions. He's editor-in-chief of The Unspeakable Oath and has spearheaded game lines including Godlike, Wild Talents, Monsters and Other Childish Things, and Better Angels.

GREG STOLZE—WRITER: A contributor to past Delta Green books (Alien Intelligence, Targets of Opportunity, Extraordinary Renditions), Greg is also co-creator of Unknown Armies with John Scott Tynes, Godlike with Dennis Detwiller, Wild Talents with Detwiller, Shane Ivey, and Kenneth Hite, Nemesis with Detwiller, Ivey, and Adam Crossingham, and author of Reign, Better Angels, the Wild Talents setting books Progenitor, eCollapse, and (with Kenneth Hite) Grim War, and the almost-but-not-quite Delta Green novel Mask of the Other.

KENNETH HITE—WRITER, EDITOR: A contributor to past Delta Green books (Targets of Opportunity, Extraordinary Renditions) and the author of the upcoming Gumshoe game The Fall of Delta Green, Ken is the creator or co-creator of Trail of Cthulhu, Night's Black Agents, The Dracula Dossier, Ken Writes About Stuff, Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff, and many other award-winning works.

Q: What does a Delta Green game sound like?

Look no further than "The Lover in the Ice" :http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2011/05/systems/call-of-cthulhu/call-of-cthulhu-delta-green-lover-in-the-ice/

Q: What is the Delta Green world like?

Here are three excellent short stories written by one of the authors and professionally narrated.

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/11/unspeakable-episode-16-intelligences-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/12/unspeakable-episode-17-philosophy-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/10/unspeakable-episode-15-drowning-in-sand-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

Q: Is there a podcast where I can listen to what's new in Delta Green moderated by the authors?

Why yes there is!

quote:

News about the upcoming Delta Green book!

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/...t-gen-con-2015/

Featuring:
-Less math in rolls!
-Fewer skills and a concomitant shift to using basic stats! For example: Want to take a picture under duress? Might take a Dex x5 roll rather than the Photography skill.
-Your skill level actually matters more than a roll! Have a 50 in Archaeology? You may get further insight into a scene automatically without rolling Spot Hidden!
-Combat is more lethal! Introducing Kill Chances! Grenades and mortars are loving deadly!
-Combat is more dangerous! You can be shaken and lose sanity!
-Gun fondling!
-Greg Stolze! Integrating the Sanity mechanics from Unknown Armies into Cthulhu!
-Bonds as sources of stability! Be like Martin Hart and take out your frustrations on your family to gain a small respite from the horrors of the Mythos! Who is the real monster now!?!

http://www.delta-green.com/

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 29, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I'd be tempted to do Chase Stein as a delinquent with Gadgetry and hacking and psychic weapons as his powers. (It's just the psychic weapon is a psychic link to a weapon that happens to be a cloned velociraptor.)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Someone tell me why I shouldn't get Delta Green.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

S.J. posted:

Cthulu is boring and has misplaced depth?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

homullus posted:

okay well yeah I mean besides the obvious

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

S.J. posted:

You don't have a $20 to spare this month. :shrug:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

S.J. posted:

The new edition gets rid of the old CoC trope where you completely miss clues because you wiff one dice roll.

Wait, that's a great selling point, never mind.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

homullus posted:

But Delta Green compensates by not being very interested in Cthulhu and far more interested in the human effects and costs. The organisations and individuals around Mythos stuff are the focus of a Delta Green game.

Generally, the scenarios and situations emphasise the hosed up things that people do AFTER they encounter the mythos, not what they do in order to raise Cthulhu or what ever, but rather they've seen the true nature of the world and that's encouraged them to do some kind of hideous bullshit often with institutional backing. What those institutions are depends on the nature of conspiracy you want to emphasise, it could small town authorities, religious organisations, mid-sized shipping companies, large corporations, or various forms of the government.

Delta Green, the organisation, being its own flavour of that sort of hideous bullshit.

It's not so much Masks of Nyalothrotep/King of Shreds and Tatters, more its own flavour.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

A buddy of mine just launched a Kickstarter for his deckbuilding card game called Steamcraft: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mikegnade/steamcraft-a-steampunk-deckbuilding-card-game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HprewPxpDXY

It also says on the page that the 2 player deck can be combined with the 4 player deck to make a 6 player game which I wasn't aware of before. As someone not really into deck building games I definitely enjoyed it and the guys creating the game have a solid history as they run IndieGameStand.com and started IndieGameMag.com back in the day. Please give it a look!

This looks kinda interesting but I wish I could play it before I committed (without printing it). MTG style combat seems like a weird choice, and market row deckbuilders are usually bad. I'll probably check back in with it when it's further along the campaign.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
If you want a thematic match for Delta Green, look no further than season 1 of True Detective. It's always had some of that feel of being about the people (and what it means to live your life dealing with sanity blasting monsters) but the new version has really emphasized that with bonds.

I have run the beta rules (linked on the KS) and found them to be a smoother version of BRP CoC.

I am really excited for it. If you have an allergy to anything Lovecraftian, it's not necessarily going to change your mind - but it's a fantastic implementation of modern Lovecraftian investigations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

homullus posted:

I agree, Cthulhu is boring when he sleeps in R'lyeh at depths unfathomable to the human mind. Let's wake him up.

Delta Green is as I recall very much like Charles Stross's Laundry novels, except played straight by Americans.

7th Continent does not appear to have enough people asking about the replayability level. It looks at first glance as if every scenario plays out the same way each time. That's fine when you're spending £7 on a book that gives three or four hours of entertainment, not so much when it's £60 for a board game.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
I'm unbelievably hyped by Masks. I've never been so interested in a game based on its beta documents before.

The only things I'm not sure about are how fights are dealt with, since it seems like fighting supervillains is a huge thing, but none of the basic moves spell out how you deal 'Harm' or equivalent (Conditions?) to them. I see in the GM beta playbook a mention made of 'if a Villain needs to mark a condition but can't, they're defeated' but not sure how you make them mark conditions to begin with.

Also I don't see why "Take a Powerful Blow" is a Basic Move rather than a GM move; I'm not sure why any PC would use it unless forced to.

Aside from that, I'm super loving this already.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Sionak posted:

If you want a thematic match for Delta Green, look no further than season 1 of True Detective. It's always had some of that feel of being about the people (and what it means to live your life dealing with sanity blasting monsters) but the new version has really emphasized that with bonds.

This right here. There's also a fair few collections of fiction out there, including Extraordinary Renditions which just came out (full disclosure: I'm one of the authors) that will give you a great sense of what the setting is about.

It's not Pulpy Cthulhu beat-'em-up - it's horror because you're doing Truly Awful poo poo to keep Truly Awful-er poo poo from happening. It's saying, with a straight face, that burning the nursery down with all the babies in it is preferable to the alternative, then going to get the gas can and matches.

Although it does have moments of fun heroism. I played in a game at GenCon where the group painted an Elder Sign on the roof of a car to protect anyone inside, then drove the car through a wall and let the monster take care of the cult for us. :clint:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just dropped money on The Fellowship (Paperback) and pray that I can find a group to run this with.

Gloomhaven looks super tempting as does The 7th Continent and they both cost about the same. I'm super wary about dropping $60+ on either (I'm even more pensive about going for minis over standees). Given that Gloomhaven already looks to have some play via Tabletop Simulator and such, what's the play like and does it seem worth it to drop the money for it as opposed to something like Descent? 7th Continent also looks good and the money seems to be mostly for the 400+ cards that comes with the game. Probably going to look at the rules to see if it is, and possibly how, clunky some of the things on it seem.

For new things, here's Argo which just popped up
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flatlinedgames/argo-by-bruno-faidutti-and-serge-laget?ref=category
It's a semi-cooperative game set on a space ship that's been invaded by aliens. Players control teams of astronauts as well as taking turns playing the enemy aliens. Players gain points by getting their astronauts into escape pods, aliens get points by eating humans. if everyone plays too dickishly, the board wins and everyone loses. The designers are Serge Laget and Bruno Faidutti. The former is also the designer of Ad Astra, Castle, Shadows Over Camelot and Mare Nostrum. The latter also designed Ad Astra and Castle as well as Citadels, Mission: Red Planet, Mascarade, Incan Gold/Diamant, and more. The game clocks in at ~$50 after shipping.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I'm unbelievably hyped by Masks. I've never been so interested in a game based on its beta documents before.

The only things I'm not sure about are how fights are dealt with, since it seems like fighting supervillains is a huge thing, but none of the basic moves spell out how you deal 'Harm' or equivalent (Conditions?) to them. I see in the GM beta playbook a mention made of 'if a Villain needs to mark a condition but can't, they're defeated' but not sure how you make them mark conditions to begin with.

Also I don't see why "Take a Powerful Blow" is a Basic Move rather than a GM move; I'm not sure why any PC would use it unless forced to.

Aside from that, I'm super loving this already.

Oh, do you fight supervillains in that? From the way the thread was going on about it, I assumed the only conflict was with your fellow teen heroes...

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

JackMann posted:

Oh, do you fight supervillains in that? From the way the thread was going on about it, I assumed the only conflict was with your fellow teen heroes...

From the GM Notes on the Backer Beta Files:

For the First Session... posted:

Start everything off with a fight against a supervillain. Let the heroes show what they can do!

Then transition into the aftermath, where they deal with the consequences of the fight. Use NPCs to drive those consequences home.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Peas and Rice posted:

Extraordinary Renditions which just came out (full disclosure: I'm one of the authors)

loving awesome. I read that one straight through when the Kickstarter download link arrived. I enjoy Lovecraft and his writing circle for their pulpy weirdness, but Renditions and Failed Anatomies felt like the better parts of things like the X-Files or Fringe, and were really engaging for that.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Bieeardo posted:

loving awesome. I read that one straight through when the Kickstarter download link arrived. I enjoy Lovecraft and his writing circle for their pulpy weirdness, but Renditions and Failed Anatomies felt like the better parts of things like the X-Files or Fringe, and were really engaging for that.

Then we hit our mark. :D Glad to hear you liked it!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's been a good day for gaming kickstarters.

An expensive one, too.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Peas and Rice posted:

This right here. There's also a fair few collections of fiction out there, including Extraordinary Renditions which just came out (full disclosure: I'm one of the authors) that will give you a great sense of what the setting is about.

Nice. I'm about 4 stories in but really enjoying it so far. Can't wait to read more. In general, I'd say that the DG fiction is very strong - both in quality and in terms of establishing some of the terrible things your investigators might find. "Last Things Last" by Scott Glancy is a great example. Tales From Failed Anatomies is strong throughout. I also really like John Tynes' Rules of Engagement.

On the tone, during the Delta Green panel at GenCon, one of my favorite quotes was:

Scott Glancy (I think) Well, if you borrow about equally from Breaking Bad and True Detective for your campaign, you're doing it right.
Greg Stolze: ... so, "Breaking Detectives."

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I cancelled my Delta Green pledge because I don't really like that the core book price changes to 70 bucks if they hit the stretch goal that actually makes it a complete system in one book. I'll just buy the Fall of Delta Green from Pelgrane later.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I cancelled my Delta Green pledge because I don't really like that the core book price changes to 70 bucks if they hit the stretch goal that actually makes it a complete system in one book. I'll just buy the Fall of Delta Green from Pelgrane later.

Yea, this kinda sucks and it sucks that they waited to release their stretch goals until after they saw what the first few hours would do.

I'm still pledged, but I may drop my pledge down the line. These guys don't seem like they know what they are doing (or maybe they do)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wait, if it's not a complete system in one book, what system was it going to use?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, if it's not a complete system in one book, what system was it going to use?

I guess the rules you need are there but it's 20 more dollars for GM and campaign advice instead of the book that's "just for players".

I mean, part of it is just that 70 bucks is really steep for a print book that isn't gigantic or a super deluxe edition. If it ends up being like 500 pages I might be back in.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 30, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I respect Delta Green for being a fantastic update to Call of Cthulhu but I still find myself unenthused about Call of Cthulhu. I've actually played a lot of it, even, but I still have a hard time seeing the Mythos as any more frightening than the Universal Monsters.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They put the rules up for everyone, whether you've pledged or not. It really does seem like a good game, I'm just kinda iffy on the pricing scheme right now.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OogZHpifybUFvdSi9lCpttF50hkiRPGw3J-Efiax-YQ/

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I respect Delta Green for being a fantastic update to Call of Cthulhu but I still find myself unenthused about Call of Cthulhu. I've actually played a lot of it, even, but I still have a hard time seeing the Mythos as any more frightening than the Universal Monsters.

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I've just never been able to get into the Mythos in general.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Swagger Dagger posted:

That's not what happens at all:

The Agent's handbook has everything you need to run the game, it's the core book. The expanded core book is a second book, it includes the Agent's handbook and has more stuff. The core book price doesn't change at all, you can still get the agent's handbook. You can also get the Expanded core book as well, or switch your pledge for an extra $20

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Mythos really only works if you relegate the gods and monsters to the background and focus on the human horror of people losing their minds and doing terrible poo poo to themselves and others. Alternatively you can go full pulp and just have your dudes blasting cosmic horrors apart with high-powered weaponry and kicking the asses off of these up-jumped squidbeasts from space. I like both approaches personally, but it's easy to see people just throw in a shoggoth and expect that to cover them on the horror aspect with no work.

I would like to see more games that take the Mythos and put it in a fantasy universe. Seeing cthulhoid horrors get hacked apart by dwarves would be pretty cool.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I maintain that Jack Kirby's New Gods or Terry Pratchett's Auditors would be much more effective for cosmic horror, but that's a post for a different thread.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Serf posted:

The Mythos really only works if you relegate the gods and monsters to the background and focus on the human horror of people losing their minds and doing terrible poo poo to themselves and others. Alternatively you can go full pulp and just have your dudes blasting cosmic horrors apart with high-powered weaponry and kicking the asses off of these up-jumped squidbeasts from space. I like both approaches personally, but it's easy to see people just throw in a shoggoth and expect that to cover them on the horror aspect with no work.

I would like to see more games that take the Mythos and put it in a fantasy universe. Seeing cthulhoid horrors get hacked apart by dwarves would be pretty cool.

I like the Delta Green setting a lot more than normal Mythos stuff for this reason. DG is more about conspiracy and X-Files-like stories with a Mythos bent. You could run entire campaigns of Delta Green vs Majestic-12 without really getting into the idea that the aliens M-12 has bargained with are Mythos aliens, and the same is true of stories featuring PISCES, the UK version of Delta Green that's been completely taken over by a different group of aliens, or Black Magic Nazis or Demon Worshippers or whatever the gently caress monster of the week you come up with.

It's a really good game and I'm probably going to talk myself into dropping like 150 bucks on it sometime in the next month.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I've just never been able to get into the Mythos in general.

The Mythos were a response to newly burgeoning scientific development, is why. New vistas of the unknown were opening up, and Lovecraft was tapping into the question of what is out there? If they no longer work in the same way, it's because we now know what is out there. The Fungi From Yuggoth was written in reaction to the discovery of Pluto, but you can't really instill fear of the unknown when NASA are passing around their holiday photos of the place.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

This. This right here; if you have this feeling you've been in a bad Mythos game. Cthulhu shouldn't be run as Monster of the Week. A sense of mystery and creeping sense of "well poo poo" is central to a Cthulhu game.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
My only exposure to Delta Green is having read a novel back in high school. I don't remember much, except there was a woman who had turned into some sort of brain-eating monster and had been recruited by the agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Helical Nightmares posted:

This. This right here; if you have this feeling you've been in a bad Mythos game. Cthulhu shouldn't be run as Monster of the Week. A sense of mystery and creeping sense of "well poo poo" is central to a Cthulhu game.

They weren't bad games at all; rarely do I remember ever having a horror at gun's length (save when I played through Convergence, and I think we electrocuted the protomatter-infested city council, ultimately). The core problem is you kind of get a game where the answers are way less interesting than the mystery. The mysteries are really cool! And then it's the Fungi From Yuggoth and it's like "oh, those guys".

• Locked thread