Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fister Roboto posted:

Please don't play games that you don't enjoy.

I wish someone had told me this earlier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

I am attempting my fifth run of Final Fantasy Tactics, and if youve never seen me post it about it before, I hate this game. I just want to finish this thing, finally, so Id like to request the absolute most braindead overpowered setups, grinding tricks, and I swear to god Ill use them if cheats exists in War of the Lions.

Don't grind, there's a JP bug:

This works in any class that has more abilities that can fit on the page.

1) SAVE FIRST.
2) Select an ability you can afford.
3) While in the confirmation panel, hold down Square and scroll up or down. This should move the cursor pointing at Learn Skill, not the cursor pointing at yes/no. Its new location must point at an ability that you don't have enough JP to learn, or has already been learned.
4) Learn Skill >yes
5) Check how your total JP for the class has changed. Depending on the ability you were pointing at, you might get some low changes like ±60, and sometimes it might zero out, but you'll usually get hundreds or even thousands of free job points.

Save first because maybe one or two of these cases will crash the game... it's a bug, so it's to be expected.

There are a few catches with this method.
1) It only gives learning JP. It WILL NOT give you credit toward class mastery, which is what you need to unlock classes.
2) As above, this only works with classes that have more abilities than can fit on one page; you can't do the page-scrolling glitch without it. You can learn all the spells you want, but you can't master, say, Knight with it. The ever-useful Chemist and Monk are both compatible though iirc.

The other useful ability to know about is TELEPORT. It's learned from Time Mage, and because it can "miss" and you lose your movement, many players will shy away from it. But used correctly, it's far and away one of the most powerful skills in the entire game.

You have a 100% accuracy warping within your movement range. This means that equipment that gives +Move, such as Battle Boots or Red Shoes, are useful even on a character with Teleport. But because it's a movement skill, you can't pair it with the Move Up passives like from Squire or Dancer, so your movement distance remains in the 4-7 range. This is fine.

Every tile beyond your base range has a fail chance. Never plan your strategy around this, unless your strategy is specifically to bash your head into the RNG to pull off a specific cheese (i'm not being smug there actually are a few specific missions where i prefer to do this :v:).

The real power of Teleport, though, is that it combines two other move skills with a third that doesn't exist otherwise.
1) It's effectively "walk through enemy units as if they were allies."
2) It only calculates distance, not height, so it also counts as Ignore Height from Lancer.
3) It ignores impassable tiles. This is unique to Teleport.

Very rarely, you'll come across tiles that nobody can pass through where either they're weird terrain (for example like... a weathervane) or they outright don't exist as a tile on the map. Teleport counts these as 1:1, so if you wanted to warp over a three-tile gap, just add 3 to your total move distance.

There are other extremely boring grinding strategies but you don't need those. Just use a guide to know what paths you need to unlock the advanced classes you want (Ninja, Calculator). Personally I kind of like making weird class combinations, but I understand if this isn't really your thing and you just want to see what the hype is all about.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Or hey just stop, just stop playing the game that apparently is so bad you must complain about it regularly

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hahahahahahahaa, somebody obviously didn't play NiER, if you think that anything ever stops.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Barudak posted:

I am attempting my fifth run of Final Fantasy Tactics, and if youve never seen me post it about it before, I hate this game. I just want to finish this thing, finally, so Id like to request the absolute most braindead overpowered setups, grinding tricks, and I swear to god Ill use them if cheats exists in War of the Lions.

What happened the first 4 times

Mega64
May 23, 2008

My advice is to bang your head against a brick wall until you kill the brain cells that make you hate FFT.

It’s what helped me become a Final Fantasy fan!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gigglefeimer posted:

What happened the first 4 times

The Front Mission Franchise twice, one lost save, and the godawful unpatched psp port.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

gigglefeimer posted:

FF13 streamlines the process at the expense of complexity.

I guess the thing for me is that a lot of the examples you choose don't really hold too much value to me, so when I hear that 13 loses complexity, in a technical sense yeah of course it does on a bunch of the things you listed. But in terms of practicality, there's nothing I find that's really missing that doesn't have some decent workaround or happens fast enough that I don't care if I'm not controlling it exactly.

Hyper Inferno posted:

From what I remember, FFXIII isn't hard enough to require fine control over all three characters. So while it might be nice from a general gameplay feel perspective, it still gets the job done.

That being said, I do recall at least one encounter type where having strict control would be better than what the AI does. It's right around when you unlock Ruinga on Lightning and its a fight with a bunch of Sahagins. If you spam Ruinga (which the game will never auto select), you can stunlock the enemies with the explosions, but you're limited to just doing it with one character. If you could stagger Ruinga across all 3, I'm pretty sure you could stunlock them.

On the first part, I don't think it's really a case of just handholding the player or that the game is too easy. FF13 is most fun I think with speed and the speed matters for the stagger-chain system. Having to input for all 3 characters for everything, especially when you go between sentinels/synergists (both of which imo are not easy to use with just auto-battle), would just slow things down.

To the second thing, yeah Ruinga spamming works on a couple of fights (this strat is used in I think a couple of fights in the Plat speedruns), and is honestly the kind of thing I mind not being easy to do for game balance purposes, as I said in some earlier post.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

The Front Mission Franchise twice, one lost save, and the godawful unpatched psp port.

Play it on pc with an emulator to abuse save states. Play the WotL version and install the patch that removes the animation slowdown.

Do everything White Dragon said.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Ventana posted:

I guess the thing for me is that a lot of the examples you choose don't really hold too much value to me, so when I hear that 13 loses complexity, in a technical sense yeah of course it does on a bunch of the things you listed. But in terms of practicality, there's nothing I find that's really missing that doesn't have some decent workaround or happens fast enough that I don't care if I'm not controlling it exactly.

Yeah, it's too bad they didn't improve upon X-2's style of direct control, instead going the other direction with AI. It's kinda funny, a common complaint with X-2 among new players is that it's too fast and hard to deal with everything going on. So instead of doing something to address this while keeping the core style of gameplay intact they....sped up battles even further and ripped away control from the player so that keeping up wouldn't be an issue.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Barudak posted:

Just watch an LP. What would be the difference?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Elephant Ambush posted:

Play it on pc with an emulator to abuse save states. Play the WotL version and install the patch that removes the animation slowdown.

The what. There's a what.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Artelier posted:

The what. There's a what.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/979/

There it is! The game runs perfectly fine at full speed on a PSP, and they actually added the slowdown in manually for unknown reasons.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

For years I've heard folks on here say Yuna is better Black Mage than Lulu. I'm at Djose now and just learned all the level 2 elemental spells for Lulu and was thinking of heading her off to Yuna's grid. I put the Magic Sphere I got in Djose there, right by a +2 Magic node. I was gonna stop there and get Lulu back to her original route but the "Cura grid" has like +5 Magic +60 MP, and, uh, Cura. Oh and Shell. Then the next grid also has a few Magic nodes.

Basically I'd be sending Lulu completely down Yuna's path and it would be considerable investment. I'm nervous to do this because, while I want Lulu to have all those stat boosts, Cura and Shell, I'm afraid of losing out on spells or useful abilities. I can't see anything down the other paths. Some Magic nodes and Reflex which seems like it might be useful? But more useful than having two people with Cura and Shell and all those stat boosts?

I'm gonna send Tidus and Kimahri to get Use and Steal, hopefully to speed up acquiring handy dandy items to Mix or customize equipment.

Since I'm playing a difficulty mod I've been making sure to keep everyone leveled. First time I've ever done that when playing this game. It's definitely a pain. And soon I'll have Rikku to add to the mix... But Kimahri was a huge help against SinSpawn Gui. He and Tidus and Auron pummeled it into oblivion. If anything, Wakka is the most useless now, at least for bosses because he does so little damage and his nifty Skills don't work on them.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yuna isn’t a better black Mage then Lulu.

Yuna’s SUMMONS are better on basically any other path then Yuna’s, but especially Lulu’s because their stat growths are based on Yuna’s, so shoving Yuna down Lulu’s path turns her summons into nuclear weapons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Holy is as good or better than most of Lulu's spells, her ultimate weapon is far less tedious to unlock, and her speed is like double or triple of Lulu meaning more turns.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Holy is alright but why grab it when at that point in the game you can friend sphere to ultima and doublecast and friend sphere to a physical track and just spam 1mp ultimas in between aeons doing dumb amounts of damage.

All the differentiation melts even further by the time you just mindlessly grind AP and spheres in the arena so I put any character building value the game has in mid game transportation spheres.

Unless the mod changes something base Yuna has like 100 magic over base Lulu or something sick so its like there's a argument to use your first ever friend sphere to grab even like fire 2.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Locke posted:

Yuna’s SUMMONS are better on basically any other path then Yuna’s, but especially Lulu’s because their stat growths are based on Yuna’s, so shoving Yuna down Lulu’s path turns her summons into nuclear weapons.

doesn't yuna have incredibly high speed like tidus though, meaning that outside of summons she has the heavy-hitting magic power of lulu with the turn frequency of the leading man

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

doesn't yuna have incredibly high speed like tidus though, meaning that outside of summons she has the heavy-hitting magic power of lulu with the turn frequency of the leading man

Yeah, Yuna has good magic and speed, but Lulu’s grid has the defense base Yuna gets very little of. It turns her summons into brick walls while still packing a magical shallow.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah I was surprised about how fast Yuna is. I always start ed fights with her and Tidus before I got Rikku.

But Yuna's Magic stat is way higher than Lulu's. At least in my game and right now, Yuna's Magic stat is 31 to Lulu's 22. Like I said, I could swear I. heard Yuna got more Magic nodes. Then again, with the ESG, apparently a ton of nodes are empty compared to SSG.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

With a heavy turn based system like FFX, speed is extremely king. Lulu isn't just slower than Yuna, she's the slowest character compared to one of the fastest for 99% of the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LuLu's limit break isnt as fun to do, and thats the most important thing

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

For years I've heard folks on here say Yuna is better Black Mage than Lulu. I'm at Djose now and just learned all the level 2 elemental spells for Lulu and was thinking of heading her off to Yuna's grid. I put the Magic Sphere I got in Djose there, right by a +2 Magic node. I was gonna stop there and get Lulu back to her original route but the "Cura grid" has like +5 Magic +60 MP, and, uh, Cura. Oh and Shell. Then the next grid also has a few Magic nodes.

Basically I'd be sending Lulu completely down Yuna's path and it would be considerable investment. I'm nervous to do this because, while I want Lulu to have all those stat boosts, Cura and Shell, I'm afraid of losing out on spells or useful abilities. I can't see anything down the other paths. Some Magic nodes and Reflex which seems like it might be useful? But more useful than having two people with Cura and Shell and all those stat boosts?

I'm gonna send Tidus and Kimahri to get Use and Steal, hopefully to speed up acquiring handy dandy items to Mix or customize equipment.

Since I'm playing a difficulty mod I've been making sure to keep everyone leveled. First time I've ever done that when playing this game. It's definitely a pain. And soon I'll have Rikku to add to the mix... But Kimahri was a huge help against SinSpawn Gui. He and Tidus and Auron pummeled it into oblivion. If anything, Wakka is the most useless now, at least for bosses because he does so little damage and his nifty Skills don't work on them.

Yuna is a better Black Mage than Lulu but that doesn't mean send Lulu down Yuna's path, because Yuna notably is not actually a Black Mage and doesn't learn any Black Magic. The reason that Yuna is a "Better Black Mage" is because her path has better stats on it(much better, Lulu's path has awful stats). In order to turn Yuna into a black mage and take advantage of the fact that she's better at it you have to send Lulu down Lulu's normal path to get all the Black Magic and then use Black Magic Spheres or Friend Spheres or whatever to teach it to Yuna without sending Yuna over there. After that you just basically never use Lulu again because the game never forces you to and once Yuna knows the top tier Black Magic she's just a strictly better character.

Mr. Locke posted:

Lulu's stats are bad. Terrible, in fact. Her Defence stats are good, but she can't take advantage of this because she has by far the lowest HP. Offensively, her MAG is workable but significantly worse than Yuna's, and most importantly she is the slowest character in the game and Yuna is the second-fastest(Yuna, at the end of her path, is actually faster than Tidus). What this ultimately boils down to is: Yuna's damage output when casting offensive magic is much, much better than Lulu's because her MAG is better and she gets way more turns. Yuna is also just a naturally more useful character because she can Summon and nobody else can. But, Yuna doesn't actually have any offensive magic until the very end of her standard path, so you can't just fix Lulu by sending her down Yuna's path because then you just don't have an offensive caster for most of the game until you get Holy, and even then can't take advantage of elemental stuff because you only have one spell. So, in order to get the best possible Black Mage that you can get, you send Lulu down her normal path and Yuna down her normal path and then use special spheres to transfer Lulu's Black Magic abilities to Yuna so she can take advantage of the good stats in order to use that magic. And then you just like, don't use Lulu because she sucks.

As for summons, if you send Yuna down Lulu's path they actually end up WORSE offensively, because they are much much slower and have somewhat worse MAG. They'd be tanky as hell though since Lulu has sky-high DEF for whatever loving reason.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 3, 2018

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Are there like diminishing returns on getting Sphere Levels? I can't tell but I feel like every time I use up all my levels and go down to 0, it's harder to get back up to even 1.

So maybe it's wise to just save up S Levels as long as possible? That's what I gotta do with poor Wakka anyway because I seriously hosed him up. I had no ultimate plan fr him and just let him wander and now he's way out in the middle of nothing and it's gonna take forever to get him to something useful.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yeah, but, like, look at Lulu and then look at Yuna. Come on my dudes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I mean if you're going to bang anyone it should be Jecht.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sublimely Magnificent Jecht Shot Mark III, all over your face.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I mean if you're going to bang anyone it should be Jecht.

i still don't understand why they decided to make another game in the same universe and had it be anything other than the Adventures of Jecht

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what mod are you using, Nikkolas

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

NikkolasKing posted:

Are there like diminishing returns on getting Sphere Levels? I can't tell but I feel like every time I use up all my levels and go down to 0, it's harder to get back up to even 1.

So maybe it's wise to just save up S Levels as long as possible? That's what I gotta do with poor Wakka anyway because I seriously hosed him up. I had no ultimate plan fr him and just let him wander and now he's way out in the middle of nothing and it's gonna take forever to get him to something useful.

The game keeps track of the total Sphere numbers each character has gotten and increases the amount of exp required for each SLVL based off that. Once you hit 101 Sphere Levels total it caps out at 22K Exp needed.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what mod are you using, Nikkolas

It's called FFX Punishment.Only 1.5 is compatible with International, although he made versions up to 2.9. I tried using the 2.9 mod with International but it crashes the emulator in Dream Zanarkand after Sin attacks.

I was lucky to find this since the original DL was gone and the current mod only has the NTSC-U 2.9 version. But somebody had reuploadede International 1.5 and now I'm keeping it on my Drive to make sure I don't lose it.

I'm having fun, although this guy sadly peaked with FFIX Unleashed. In Unleashed he gave the party and enemies several new abilities, it was a pretty different experience. Every other mod from him I've seen is just a lot of numbers tweaking. God knows I couldn't do even that much but I still miss having new skills and stuff. Those are my favorite mods but they are pretty rare in my experience.

Also this guy's Xenogears hard mod is pretty much why everyone here hates hard mods. It was unfair, unfun and just really soured me on the whole game. He made Rico useful and that was about the only good change. And as useful as Rico was, he still couldn't survive even one hit from Grahf during the Shevat fight. I quit at that point. When you die immediately to one attack with the character who has he highest HP and Def , it's time to just pack it in.

But I've had a blast with FFX so far. Just be forewarned if you actually play it that grinding is not optional. But grinding with a good battle system is fun for me.

Dr Pepper posted:

The game keeps track of the total Sphere numbers each character has gotten and increases the amount of exp required for each SLVL based off that. Once you hit 101 Sphere Levels total it caps out at 22K Exp needed.

Good to know, thank you.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 3, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So you recommend his FF9 mod then? I recently fired up Chrono Trigger with a mod called "1.01" and it definitely made it harder, but not in a fun way (at least not at the start). Basically to progress at all I have to grind my rear end off, which usually consists of running in fast forward and just holding down attack, which is not exactly compelling gameplay. I like games to be harder but not if it's going to just boil down to that.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 3, 2018

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So you recommend his FF9 mod then?

Absolutely. It was the first time I played FFIX in years. Freya, Steiner, Quina and I think also Amarant all got new skills and stuff. Bosses are different, too especially later on. There's also a version of his mod tta adds a No AP patch so you can only use the skills from the equipment you currently have on. I only played it up to the end of Disk 1 but in a lot of ways it's a lot easier - or just quicker - because no grinding. There's no point after all. Just make sure to have Freya win the Hunt so she gets the accessory with Elec protection. drat you Beatrix and Thunder Slash!

Although this is still the best FFIX mod I've seen: Alternate Fantasy IX
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16324.0

It's just suppose to offer a new experience, not be a hard mod like Unleashed. Spells now have status effects (I think that is a really cool addition), new skills, altered bosses, Beatrix joining the party permanently, and everything else he lists out there.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 3, 2018

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The equipment drops in this game are interesting but the randomness of it seems like it could be irritating. I was blessed to get a Poison Steel for Tidus early on and it was pretty much the only way I could defeat the Dual Horns at Mii'Hen Highroad. And just now, after a 5 Cheer'ed Energy Rain to Overkill a Chimera at Macalania, I got a Variable Mog for Lulu with Magic +10% and Magic +5%. That was an unbelievably wonderful surprise and a huge help but I imagine it could have been something else for some other character and not as good. So I like the system but I like it because it's being nice to me, I guess.

I also backtracked to Besaid before going to the Thunder Plains because I've never done this before and I was trying to find a few missing Al Bhed Primers but I think they might be gone forever.. I certainly have no idea where they could be. Anyway, in some games, NPCs often say the exact same thing for entire disks. Here there was new dialogue all over the place about the failed Crusader operation and the upcoming wedding. That was really cool and appreciated.

X is often criticized for being linear but even if it is, they actually put in the effort if you wanted to backtrack and that is pretty cool. I think Spira is rightly considered one of the best settings in the series by a lot of fans. It's because they put so much love and care into worldbuilding.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

NikkolasKing posted:

I also backtracked to Besaid before going to the Thunder Plains because I've never done this before and I was trying to find a few missing Al Bhed Primers but I think they might be gone forever.. I certainly have no idea where they could be. Anyway, in some games, NPCs often say the exact same thing for entire disks. Here there was new dialogue all over the place about the failed Crusader operation and the upcoming wedding. That was really cool and appreciated.

IIRC, there's only one permanently missable primer, and that one's outside the Al Behd home city.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

IIRC, there's only one permanently missable primer, and that one's outside the Al Behd home city.

I think you can miss the one from Rin at the Thunder Plains Travel Agency. I got that one, though. The ones I missed yet came back and found were a second one at Luca and the one at Killika. I'm still missing three others. I don't particularly care except that getting all of them would be a first for me and I wanted to see if I could do it. I could of course easily find all of them via Google but that rather defeats the point.

The numbering and ordering in the item menu pretty clearly shows you where I missed them too in a sense. I'm missing Vol VIII, IX and X. I know XI and on are the Moonflow and beyond and i got the one at Rin's first Travel Agency on the Highroad so the missing three are somewhere in between.

I figure I probably missed one at the now gone forever Operation Mi'ihen base but even if that was true I'm still missing two others. There might be one at Djose that I missed both times I went there but I dunno. And the last one I haven't the foggiest clue. It just bugs me to see those missing spots and have no idea how I missed them.

e:

I can see now why there are Rikku Solo Runs. She is amazing. I was trying to figure out what I was going to do with the Yeti boss because I don't have Dispel and I remember that the two Guado with it will buff it before they die. Only, while running away from the Guado, I noticed they are vulnerable to Petrify. And I have several Petrify Grenades. That solved my dilemma about not being able to get rid of the Yeti's Protect and Shell because turns out the Guado can't buff him if they die via shattering to pieces. Rikku is also how I have Overkilled a few bosses, including the Yeti.

Wakka is the most worthless character in this game. Rikku does everything he does but better.

Kimahri I have gained new respect for. Between him, Rikku and my Tidus all having Use and Steal, we are sitting nice and pretty on a stack of awesome items that make Wakka's abilities look laughable and useless. I also got this sword called Lifesaver for Overkilling...I forget, I think the tank? Lifesaver has Alchemy on it which I guess doubles the power of healing items? If that applies to Al Bhed Potions, my Tidus will make them even more broken than they already were.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 4, 2018

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Wakka is the most worthless character in this game.

Wakka is, I believe, the absolute best damage dealer for endgame stuff because his second overdrive is disgustingly powerful and allows him to deal obscene damage, but without it he's kinda underwhelming and getting it is a pain in the rear end.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I like Wakka as a character, he’s a good and nice man who grows throughout the adventure.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When I was a kid Wakka was my strongest damage dealer even without the overdrive stuff because I thought he was much cooler than Auron who I never used

I don't remember but I think there are a lot of strength nodes on his grid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wakka is a mix of great accuracy, decent speed, 2nd or 3rd strongest character, and has the unique gimmick of not being affected by range.