Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is trading even worth it? I seem to make more money just afk fishing, the couple 1000s I get per trade are lame. I guess later on when you trade between one corner of the map to the other, it starts paying out, but right now it feels trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

mike12345 posted:

Is trading even worth it? I seem to make more money just afk fishing, the couple 1000s I get per trade are lame. I guess later on when you trade between one corner of the map to the other, it starts paying out, but right now it feels trivial.

Trading is only good if you get master 2 and do one of the following:
1. Grind pirates a lot
2. Process a lot
3. Actively fish

To get there you have to either:
1. Actively trade to get there taking 30+ hours
2. Make 50k junk crates, losing 300mil+ in the process and sell them

Comedy option: get master 10 trading and do imperial trading from port ratt. Just look at where that is on the map though lolol

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 28, 2017

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

gwrtheyrn posted:

Trading is only good if you get master 2 and do one of the following:
1. Grind pirates a lot
2. Process a lot
3. Actively fish

To get there you have to either:
1. Actively trade to get there taking 30+ hours
2. Make 50k junk crates, losing 300mil+ in the process and sell them

Comedy option: get master 10 trading and do imperial trading from port ratt. Just look at where that is on the map though lolol

I get 2 and 3, but why grinding pirates? The stuff they drop?

Btw is there any way to automate trading? Like script a worker to buy item A at X and sell it at Y, then go back and do it again.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Pirates drop items that are worth a lot more with M2 trading.

This being a Korean MMO i am sure there is a bot that lets you do whatever you want, but i have no idea where you would get it (and it is probably a bannable offense to use one)
What is the MMO HMO stance on bot discussion?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure nobody will care if you want to talk about bots but we're all standing by to laugh if your account gets banned.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

No, not botting. Like in-game, the way you assign them to nodes. Just, you know, trade routes instead.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly if I was going to try botting I would just want something that chops wood and melts ore from my storage without me having to inventory manage. I could do that 24/7 and not run out of things to process for long, long time.

J
Jun 10, 2001

mike12345 posted:

I get 2 and 3, but why grinding pirates? The stuff they drop?

Btw is there any way to automate trading? Like script a worker to buy item A at X and sell it at Y, then go back and do it again.

At master2 level of trading, you can do a questline that unlocks the capability to spend 100 energy to get a 1 hour buff at a spot out in the desert. With this buff, trade items you turn in from outside of the desert to the traders in valencia will be worth 50% more. Pirates drop 3 types of coins (Bronze, iron, etc) that are considered trade goods. People stockpile giant piles of these coins and then go grab the master2 buff and trade the coins in at valencia.

Another thing to do with the m2 trading buff is making crates. Specifically, you make the high value crates (calpheon timber, mediah timber, bronze/brass, etc) in Trent, and then take them to valencia with the m2 buff to sell. Without the m2 buff, you lose money on these crates compared to just selling the materials on the market. But with the m2 buff they are worth more than the market value of the materials.

I'm sure there are bots out there that could probably trade poo poo automatically but I don't really know anything about them.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

J posted:

What area of the game did you log out in? I've known a few people with not so good computers that had trouble logging back into the game if they logged out in a really heavily populated area, like around the banks in heidel or calpheon. Also the past several weeks the game has really exploded in popularity and the server tends to start melting during prime time in the evenings.

I think that might have been it. I also read that clearing the DNS cache helps which checks out because I did that and was fine for the rest of the night

A couple more basic questions:

1. For questing (I'm at like 22) I've just been following the black spirit. Should I go venture into other lands or will his quests guide me there? I've traveled a good distance but I still feel like I'm kind of in the "starting zone"
2. I just hop in Discord to join the Goon Guild, right?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

J posted:

At master2 level of trading, you can do a questline that unlocks the capability to spend 100 energy to get a 1 hour buff at a spot out in the desert. With this buff, trade items you turn in from outside of the desert to the traders in valencia will be worth 50% more. Pirates drop 3 types of coins (Bronze, iron, etc) that are considered trade goods. People stockpile giant piles of these coins and then go grab the master2 buff and trade the coins in at valencia.

Another thing to do with the m2 trading buff is making crates. Specifically, you make the high value crates (calpheon timber, mediah timber, bronze/brass, etc) in Trent, and then take them to valencia with the m2 buff to sell. Without the m2 buff, you lose money on these crates compared to just selling the materials on the market. But with the m2 buff they are worth more than the market value of the materials.

Hmm ok, I think I've lost interest.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Confession time on botting. I used to bot wow everyday never banned. Stopped botting because i felt no attachment to my character(s) and could care less about the progress I made. Don't get me wrong it was nice making gold with no effort and having good gear but not having a goal anymore to work towards killed my enjoyment faster than blizzard could with lovely expansions. After that never felt the need to bot to try and get ahead again in a digital game with no real meaning.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Slackerish posted:

I think that might have been it. I also read that clearing the DNS cache helps which checks out because I did that and was fine for the rest of the night

A couple more basic questions:

1. For questing (I'm at like 22) I've just been following the black spirit. Should I go venture into other lands or will his quests guide me there? I've traveled a good distance but I still feel like I'm kind of in the "starting zone"
2. I just hop in Discord to join the Goon Guild, right?

The black spirit quests will eventually take you around most of the world I think. I haven't done the mediah and valencia questlines, but I want to say that the calpheon questline still takes you around most of the calpheon region. Honestly, if you're level 22, you probably don't want to go anywhere but the "starting zone" since that is a description of the entire calpheon region where you're probably questing. You can really do whatever you want, but it's not the worst idea to do the questline at least once since it gives inventory expansions and skill points

Yeah, join discord and poke someone for an invite

J posted:

But with the m2 buff they are worth more than the market value of the materials.
Worth more than the market value minus tax which is a very important distinction because you need master 19 trading to compete with the highest level trader for buying materials. Don't buy materials for crates unless you know why you're doing it

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been running this game 24/7 for over a year now and took a break a couple weeks ago when I went out of town. Haven't fired it up since. Thinking maybe this is where I call it quits? Been playing way too much PUBG lately.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

fletcher posted:

I've been running this game 24/7 for over a year now and took a break a couple weeks ago when I went out of town. Haven't fired it up since. Thinking maybe this is where I call it quits? Been playing way too much PUBG lately.

Probably. From what I hear of the paywall, I don't think I'm gonna stick with it.

Also, storage being per town is silly as hell and kills my enthusiasm.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fletcher posted:

Taking breaks from games is good and healthy.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I went looking for a beginners guide and found this.

https://youtu.be/6pOJYfMQPIA

It really helped frame what you're supposed to do. My eyes still kinda glaze over when talking about nodes and workers but I can see how it works now.

Really, though, I just want to punch fools all day.

Which is the class with the best summons? I'm still hoping that one day the world will provide another Mastermind from City of Heroes.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

cant declare war on the guildless im literally their worst nightmare

i love it when they try to threaten me out of it "These are my mobs, if you dont leave I'll kill you!" and I'm like sure go ahead buddy I'll just come back and after the second kill they just ignore me.

Finally got around to going to Sausans today and after about an hour of grind a group shows up and starts killing me repeatedly, I of course spawn 30 feet away or whatever and just continue. Funny thing is, I'd have switched channels or at least moved to another area of Sausans if they had asked or simply joined their group had they invited, but nope. Their persistence in murdering me just made me want to stay longer.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I went looking for a beginners guide and found this.

https://youtu.be/6pOJYfMQPIA

It really helped frame what you're supposed to do. My eyes still kinda glaze over when talking about nodes and workers but I can see how it works now.

Really, though, I just want to punch fools all day.

Which is the class with the best summons? I'm still hoping that one day the world will provide another Mastermind from City of Heroes.

Theres not really a "pet" class so to speak. Tamer gets their doggo but thats about it?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Yeah there isn't really any class that resembles a summoner at all. Tamers have their wolf pet which is the closest thing to a pet class in the game. Awakened wiz/witch do have these water/fire elemental companions but I don't think they are a primary focus of the class. Striker awakening has these fire clone dudes that appear out of nowhere when you use some abilities and run in WWE style and throw elbows and kicks at your target but you can't control them and they disappear immediately afterwards.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ah, then my decision to play Striker has been justified!

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Is there any secret to the quest to tame the wood horse? I've used 20 ropes on it so far, I walk closer, do the space spam mini game, get in range and then hit R to get on and it fails to let me ride.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

WetSpink posted:

Is there any secret to the quest to tame the wood horse? I've used 20 ropes on it so far, I walk closer, do the space spam mini game, get in range and then hit R to get on and it fails to let me ride.

Did you feed it a sugar cube?

No, really.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
That may be it

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
If you get the timing perfect you don't need the sugar cube.

Yes apparently there is/(was) a hidden timer (that I don't remember what it was) that differs by wild horse tier (at least they were different for T1/T2 horses when those were the only wild horses around).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 30, 2017

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
Worker node advice for PNR guys:

We do a ton of gathering guild missions and we always try to encourage people to go and chop logs/hit rocks. Especially during the events which give bonus drops to gathering.
Gathering gets you hard/sharp stones which are worth 1.6/3.6 respectively and used to enchant gear so they're very valuable.
A lot of newer players keep asking in guild chat about nodes to connect, etc.

I would suggest doing the following:
Veila - max out your workers there, get a residence and grab all the nearby grains (corn/potatos).
Heidel - Get the Heidel mine
Keplan - Grab the coal node right next to Keplan.
Iron mines near Altinova - Iron + Zinc
Glish - Iron mine next to town

Glish: get the Armor factory and the Tool factory. Do the following items:
Make steel using melted iron shards + coal.
Make Bronze with zinc + copper shards.
Grind down magic crystals for Blackstone powder.
Chop some lumber nearby for tools.
Mine rocks for rough stone for tools.
Farm tough hide.
Melt down Black Crystals from Altinova Iron mine.

At Glish, you can now craft all your tools (make sure you use a high luck human to proc lucky tools/Ult Grunil).
You will need to farm tough hide but if you do that, you can craft Grunil for repairing yours or just selling.

Always use lucky tools when gathering, as it increases hard/sharp rate.

When I have VP buff active, I craft several weeks worth of Lucky Steel tools and sell the regular ones on the MP.
Don't craft anything but Steel, it's the best value.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Gonna pick this up during the steam sale. I played in the beta and at the time the wizard was hands down the asskickingest best class. The rest of the classes I tried just felt so slow by comparison. I don't care at all about pvp, and I see there's a lot of new classes. What are peoples class pro-picks for tearing through mobs like paper?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Cheap Shot posted:

Gonna pick this up during the steam sale. I played in the beta and at the time the wizard was hands down the asskickingest best class. The rest of the classes I tried just felt so slow by comparison. I don't care at all about pvp, and I see there's a lot of new classes. What are peoples class pro-picks for tearing through mobs like paper?

Witch, wizard, musa, dark knight, or tamer are probably the best all around grinders. Witch/wizard/dk happen to be top tier in pvp

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 3, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I am disappointed that goons probably didn't cause this.

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/gms-take-action-against-roleplay-griefing.24166/

But I'm glad somebody did.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Picked this game up again and i'm playing a Musa right now. I've gotten a +9 sword from the rewards for coming back but I need some help picking my armor yo spend stones on. I've seen Grunil recommended but it's really expensive, what should I be looking at for gear as a level 26 newbie?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
13 pages literally talking about the elephant in the room. Amazing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Demiurge4 posted:

Picked this game up again and i'm playing a Musa right now. I've gotten a +9 sword from the rewards for coming back but I need some help picking my armor yo spend stones on. I've seen Grunil recommended but it's really expensive, what should I be looking at for gear as a level 26 newbie?

With the understanding that you'll eventually (eventually) want to replace it anyway with boss armor, a common suggestion is Heve because when you break up the set you don't lose too much. Or Taritas for the raw defence. But really anything other than Fortuna or Talis has its merits.

I used Zereth for ages because it was cheap and good to grind in.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Pick literally any armor set with two crystal slots if you're not already invested. I wouldn't recommend fortuna if you want it for the luck bonus, but it does have two crystal slot. If you're not p2wing weight I'd recommend hercules for weight capacity which you will probably appreciate more than the ap/hp bonuses of grunil/heve

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Pick literally any armor set with two crystal slots if you're not already invested. I wouldn't recommend fortuna if you want it for the luck bonus, but it does have two crystal slot. If you're not p2wing weight I'd recommend hercules for weight capacity which you will probably appreciate more than the ap/hp bonuses of grunil/heve

Have to second hercules. Even if you have weight maxed, if you're likely to level multiple classes it's nice to have given you can switch armor between characters.

I'm too invested in my Grunil now to switch, but really wish I had went with hercules now that I've ditched my Striker. Can't bring myself to buy all the weight expansions again. I will however buy another horse whistle because gently caress not having a horse whistle.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'll check out hercules, thanks. I'm trying to find quests that reward bag slots so I'm just going around randomly not really grinding.

I've heard about pets picking stuff up for you,is that a must have and can I get them without the money store? I have about 500k to my name right now but I'll try to get the hercules as I scrape together enough money.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

gwrtheyrn posted:

Witch, wizard, musa, dark knight, or tamer are probably the best all around grinders. Witch/wizard/dk happen to be top tier in pvp

Awesome thank you.

One last question: playing virtual barbies is of course the most important thing in video games. Does BDO have cosmetic armor slots or anything similar?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Demiurge4 posted:

I'll check out hercules, thanks. I'm trying to find quests that reward bag slots so I'm just going around randomly not really grinding.

I've heard about pets picking stuff up for you,is that a must have and can I get them without the money store? I have about 500k to my name right now but I'll try to get the hercules as I scrape together enough money.

Do the quests from the black spirit and you will get a bunch of inventory slots. Don't worry about grinding levels, you need a good economy and a good grasp of the various game mechanics to continue to have fun in your mid-50's. There ar a lot of unique mechanics in this game that take some time to learn. Don't worry about having to learn everything right away. Take your time and spend 80% of the time playing, 20% of the time watching youtube tutorials.

You need pearls (irl cash) for pets, though the current login event rewards a penguin pet on day 21 or so. If you recently started and are behind on the login rewards you can get 2 login reward per day during weekends, 1 immediately upon login and 1 an hour after. This lets you catch up a bit at least. Pets are amazing in the sense that you don't have to bother with looting enemies, the pets will vacuum up everything and put it in your inventory.

The newbie login rewards you get for the first 21 days give you a ton of cash, i believe it is almost 100 million silver so that should get you started on a full set of +15 glove/helm/boots/mainhand. No need to spend money on a chest armor or an offhand with +15s on the others. You get a great chest armor and a great offhand for free through the black spirit quests. These items are by no means endgame gear but more than good enough to get you to 56 and awakening at least.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Cheap Shot posted:

Awesome thank you.

One last question: playing virtual barbies is of course the most important thing in video games. Does BDO have cosmetic armor slots or anything similar?

How much cash you got because boy does this game have pretty princess dress-up

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Arcade posted:

I will however buy another horse whistle because gently caress not having a horse whistle.

Did you see that you can ticket a GM to swap your horse whistle once per account?

https://blackdesert.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003075009-One-time-transfer-of-Horse-Flute

J
Jun 10, 2001

This game is horrible for playing barbie dress up unless you're willing to drop the cash to buy costumes from the store. There are lots of cool looking costumes on the cash shop, but if you don't have one most gear sets in the game have you looking like a hobo. Technically you can buy the costumes for in game silver off the market (20-25 million), which is a great deal, but you'll have to sit around the market a lot bidding on every costume that gets listed because you're competing against hundreds of people for each one. Same deal with pets, technically they can be bought for in game silver, realistically it will take you forever to actually win one. For grinding, 4 pets is absolutely crucial. Picking up loot manually sucks.

Regarding starting armor, really anything will do. I'd agree with others saying that the hercules set weight limit increase will likely be far more noticeable than any other armor's set bonuses. Especially if you find out you're more into the lifeskilling side of the game than the grinding side. Weight limit is good in general but is super useful while doing afk lifeskill stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly, costumes are the easiest pearl item to get since it's a one time purchase whereas pets and vps are consumable. That being said you basically need to have a market maid and ~20mil stashed in every capital