Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I keep forgetting I never got "These French Fries Are Terrible Hot Dogs". Everything else has kind of delivered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I backed Breakfast Cult at a high level. :v:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kai Tave posted:

I'm out some money on the Deck of Legends which I thiiiiink might actually have been my first goon Kickstarter so lol owned, me. And unfortunately Last Stand: Reinforcements as well. Even though it's posted some updates somewhat recently, I suppose I'd consider Broken World to also be a wash at this point given that it's like three years overdue and a quick check shows that the creator is having health issues. So those three out of about 50 projects, so I'm doing okay.

Also the Sigmata guy, now that he's no longer trying to collect money, has posted not just one but two interviews where he makes it clear that he thinks anyone who has a problem with the conceit of his game is a shortsighted idiot and also a concern troll:

What a fuckin wiener.

Man, this dude was way less stupid and insane about this when I talked to him and gave him my criticisms.

Guess he's just a dick.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Deep Space D6 and Gratuitous Anime Gimmick are running late, but everything else I've every backed has delivered.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Let's see... I have the standard crop of bad or long-delayed video games (Star Citizen, Net Gain, Pathologic) but in the TTRPG sphere the only things that were busts were the Deck of Legends, Last Stand: Reinforcements, Dark Age Outpost, Stone Skull 28mm Tabletop Gaming Furniture, and Retrocausality. Not too bad a success rate?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cassa posted:

I keep forgetting I never got "These French Fries Are Terrible Hot Dogs". Everything else has kind of delivered.

It seems like it went out? Did you ever chase Shawn Pierre?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I guess I've been lucky - I've only had SLA Industries: Cannibal Sector 1 fail for RPGs/tabletop. The majority of failed KS are all video games, including my second KS ever. Estimated delivery: Jan 2015.

Mors Rattus posted:

Man, this dude was way less stupid and insane about this when I talked to him and gave him my criticisms.

Guess he's just a dick.

I imagine he's had a lot of people telling him he's wrong about politics between then and now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kai Tave posted:

I'm out some money on the Deck of Legends which I thiiiiink might actually have been my first goon Kickstarter so lol owned, me. And unfortunately Last Stand: Reinforcements as well. Even though it's posted some updates somewhat recently, I suppose I'd consider Broken World to also be a wash at this point given that it's like three years overdue and a quick check shows that the creator is having health issues. So those three out of about 50 projects, so I'm doing okay.

Also the Sigmata guy, now that he's no longer trying to collect money, has posted not just one but two interviews where he makes it clear that he thinks anyone who has a problem with the conceit of his game is a shortsighted idiot and also a concern troll:

What a fuckin wiener.

Man, I got out from under that one at the last minute.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think Deck of Legends is the only complete failure I've backed. Low Life Miniatures is still in the eternal doldrums, but I think I got everything I backed for, at least.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

glitchkrieg posted:

I guess I've been lucky - I've only had SLA Industries: Cannibal Sector 1 fail for RPGs/tabletop. The majority of failed KS are all video games, including my second KS ever. Estimated delivery: Jan 2015

The first and last video game KS I ever backed was Godus. Estimated delivery September 2013; supposedly there is a lovely mobile app of it floating around but I haven't seen that either.

The oldest unfulfilled KS I have is 13th Age Glorantha (Est. deliv. July 2015), which does at least appear to be on the verge of delivery by the end of August (it's "in the warehouse"). From there it's Shinobigami, which is under a year past its estimated delivery date but still apparently lurching towards fulfillment. I don't think I've got anything that I would chalk up presently as an outright failure.

My first goon kickstarter was Nightfall, which ultimately got completed against all odds, so I have escaped that particular trap with no comeuppance.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

My entire Kickstarter-backing history is TTRPG stuff, none of which has failed or imploded or even really made me sad, though some are behind, and then my only outright disappointment: Mighty No 9.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

:argh:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

glitchkrieg posted:

I guess I've been lucky - I've only had SLA Industries: Cannibal Sector 1 fail for RPGs/tabletop. The majority of failed KS are all video games, including my second KS ever. Estimated delivery: Jan 2015.

I didn't even know they'd tried anything related to SLA Industries on Kickstarter.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Speaking of late, today's update from a terrain Ks that was finished production of all but the final sprue when (allegedly) the factory decided to hold the final mould ransom for more money

quote:

Update #83 from Dark Age Outpost: 28mm Terrain & Miniature Set
Aug 15 2018
August 2018 Update
So the factory and I are still talking about production, payment, shipping, getting closer! and my place of employment gets a call yesterday from a disgruntled backer (Yay!). They left a voicemail claiming this is all a scam and I'm using an email from my work. All lies!

So thanks for that whoever you are. I have a baby on the way, my home almost burnt down in a wild fire and you're trying to get me fired over a couple bucks and some plastic terrain sets :)

-Nick

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

some loving LIAR posted:

The first and last video game KS I ever backed was Godus. Estimated delivery September 2013; supposedly there is a lovely mobile app of it floating around but I haven't seen that either.

The oldest unfulfilled KS I have is 13th Age Glorantha (Est. deliv. July 2015), which does at least appear to be on the verge of delivery by the end of August (it's "in the warehouse"). From there it's Shinobigami, which is under a year past its estimated delivery date but still apparently lurching towards fulfillment. I don't think I've got anything that I would chalk up presently as an outright failure.

I just got my shipping notice for 13A Glorantha, so have faith!

grassy gnoll posted:

I backed Panic at the Dojo at signed hard copy level. :v:

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 15, 2018

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Dawgstar posted:

I didn't even know they'd tried anything related to SLA Industries on Kickstarter.

Probably for the best - there's been some drama about it, posted earlier in this thread.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Overall I've done ok but I did back Deck of Legends.

...and Evil Dead 2. :(

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Okay, I'll make everyone feel better and admit that the very first Kickstarter I backed was $11 I threw at Doobie's Doghouse.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

glitchkrieg posted:

Probably for the best - there's been some drama about it, posted earlier in this thread.

Yeah, I found some talk at Beast of War. To quote from there:

"Looks like a very iffy project from the very start. Same folks involved with company A then license IP to company B and run a KS. Raise £50k.

Money gone, and yet they jump ship back to company A and claim they own all the stuff produced with the KS money that was raised by company B.

Now company C comes along, takes a load of inventory, and buys a big stake in company A."

That's sketchy as anything.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The only RPG stuff I've backed that hasn't delivered so far are Cortex Prime, Retrocausality, Gattaibushido, Shinobigami and Pirate World.

Out of those, Pirate World is the only one that's dead with the creator gone missing, although Retrocausality is coming close (:v:).

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

rydiafan posted:

Okay, I'll make everyone feel better and admit that the very first Kickstarter I backed was $11 I threw at Doobie's Doghouse.

Technically a success!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lemon-Lime posted:

The only RPG stuff I've backed that hasn't delivered so far are Cortex Prime, Retrocausality, Gattaibushido, Shinobigami and Pirate World.

Out of those, Pirate World is the only one that's dead with the creator gone missing, although Retrocausality is coming close (:v:).

I'm still waiting on Cortex Prime too, but I know the creator's still plugging away at it.

At the time I regretted not backing Shinobigami, but at least I haven't missed anything yet.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I wanted to boast my stellar record in selecting tabletop games to back.
Then I remembered I backed Broken World by a goon.
Welp. Someday, perhaps.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I didn't back Far West, but Wallis and Skarka agreed to give each other's backers a copy of their game as a bonus for waiting...

(Also Up Front and still waiting on Cortex Prime).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Foglet posted:

What disappointed you about Mutant Crawl Classics, then?
It feels half-baked. It doesn't seem like much thought at all was put into how the various parts fit together, especially pure-strain humans, but kinda all the classes. Always-On mutations are a mess. There's interesting bits here and there, but it feels shoddy and incomplete compared to DCC.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

rydiafan posted:

I'd play the Doobie's Doghouse RPG.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Dawgstar posted:

At the time I regretted not backing Shinobigami, but at least I haven't missed anything yet.
Andy Kitkowski deserves praise for being one of the few forces currently in operation that tries and manages to commercially publish Japanese tabletop RPGs in English (Tenra Bansho Zero, Ryuutama, Shinobigami) alongside Ewen Cluney (Golden Sky Stories) since Ver. Blue (Double Cross) went down, but drat if his Kickstarters' update density hasn't been frustrating :(

I just want someone to pick up Tenra War for publication.

Or Meikyuu Kingdom / Meikyuu Days (I think I remember Ewen's "Yaruki Zero" planning to take it officially, but seemingly not much resulted out of it).

Or Colossal Hunter (Shadow of the Colossus/Monster Hunter: The TRPG, with multi-tiered combat maps).

Or DracuRouge (Castlevania: The TRPG/Japanese World of Darkness).

Foglet fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 15, 2018

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You don't want Meikyuu Kingdom. Turns out there's not actually any play to it, just random generation of funny-ish objects and scenarios.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

grassy gnoll posted:

You don't want Meikyuu Kingdom. Turns out there's not actually any play to it, just random generation of funny-ish objects and scenarios.
That's a lot more than I could say of some other published products I may own.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'd like to see Novi Novi get a translation, but it's niche even for ttrpgs.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I will forever pine for Flying Assault Butts.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

demota posted:

I will forever pine for Flying Assault Butts.
Did you expect competence from someone who missed the obvious opportunity for an "ASSault" pun right in the title?

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
Cashing in on the Nostalgia wagon, but this just dropped:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165626423/power-rangers-heroes-of-the-grid-board-game/

I just want a ton of Megazords :toot:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

kinkouin posted:

Cashing in on the Nostalgia wagon, but this just dropped:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165626423/power-rangers-heroes-of-the-grid-board-game/

I just want a ton of Megazords :toot:

God loving damnit with these bullshit exclusives

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

S.J. posted:

Yeah, but people are "learning" from CMON to get that sweet sweet cash flow...

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

S.J. posted:

Back game
Get exclusives

whatsaproblem

(half joking; I agree they suck to have in the long term, but really only for people who miss the campaign, which you haven't)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Merauder posted:

Back game
Get exclusives

whatsaproblem

(half joking; I agree they suck to have in the long term, but really only for people who miss the campaign, which you haven't)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

So seriously though, break it down for me? I've never understood why people would be upset about getting exclusives items from a KS. I completely understand finding a game a year after the KS has run and finding out that you've missed a bunch of sucks, that's a total downer. If I were ever to run a KS I'd be very unlikely to have any for that reason, but... yeah, what's the thought process here, since it's a common topic here on the forums? Altruism for future customers?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It essentially means your Kickstarter is all the money you're ever going to make.

There was a Conan kickstarter a while back and they packed it with a bunch of KS exclusives and then released it to retail and nobody bought it because everyone knew it was an incomplete game. They admitted they lost all their profit on a retail release and won't be doing that again.

Essentially, significant KS exclusives means that your audience becomes KS or nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Merauder posted:

So seriously though, break it down for me? I've never understood why people would be upset about getting exclusives items from a KS. I completely understand finding a game a year after the KS has run and finding out that you've missed a bunch of sucks, that's a total downer. If I were ever to run a KS I'd be very unlikely to have any for that reason, but... yeah, what's the thought process here, since it's a common topic here on the forums? Altruism for future customers?

Three major reasons

1) Just because something isn't unfair to you doesn't mean you can't object to it on the grounds of being unfair to other people

2) A game with kickstarter exclusives tends to be very frontloaded and is unlikely to get much support in the future

3) If half the content in a game is locked behind exclusives, that makes it very difficult to draw in new players. That means that the community for a game is almost entirely going to be people from the kickstarter, a group which shrinks over time. Even for games you only play with friends, having a large community is good because it keeps up interest and makes continued support for the game more likely.