Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah exactly. When everything is valued at tcg mid or whatever it just exacerbates things. I had a coworker who was pretty religious about dumping his draft chaff and did turn it in to a number of cards with actual value but it never seemed worth my time investment. I was always worried about holding the bag with a leftover amount of points and no way to turn them in to something I want at the end of the day, too.

That's why I only sent out $1-200 worth of stuff at a time and waited until I got pretty low before sending anything else. So even if the economy died overnight it was only mildly annoying instead of the disaster it would be if I sent out everything. It really was a cool idea for a site but man, did they not manage it well. I'm no economist so I don't really know what they could have done besides give us a sink for points or have a better system where you don't get punished for not sending anything for a while, but I can't help but think it could still be thriving right now. I know I'd still be using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

JerryLee posted:

Good thing they cut the balls off of tuck effects so that there really is no way to make people's bullshit commanders go away forever, or at least for a significant amount of time.

Ixidron, Meddling Mage, Darksteel Mutation, Song of the Dryads, Nevermore, etc.

There are still ways of shutting down commanders for awhile.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

Good thing they cut the balls off of tuck effects so that there really is no way to make people's bullshit commanders go away forever, or at least for a significant amount of time.
Same, except every commander I play, because only those with shroud/hexproof would survive Baral with tucks.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

JerryLee posted:

I try (often unsuccesfully) to push to play with the tuck rules in place whenever possible. There are just some commanders that are stupid bonkers with it- like the zombie dwarf guy that essentially reads: pay 7 mana, bring back all black & red creatures from all graveyards to play. The ability doesn't tap, so unless there's a player with a counterspell, the deck has that ability for the rest of the game more or less.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

JerryLee posted:

Getting hard countered by a commander sucks, but being able to permanently remove someone's commander in a format where you're supposed to build around them was dumb and probably just pushed people towards playing more generic goodstuff decks and combo decks with a Progenitus parked in the command zone.

Also there are a bunch of ways to haze someone's commander, with blue in particular having no shortage.

EatinCake posted:

I try (often unsuccesfully) to push to play with the tuck rules in place whenever possible. There are just some commanders that are stupid bonkers with it- like the zombie dwarf guy that essentially reads: pay 7 mana, bring back all black & red creatures from all graveyards to play. The ability doesn't tap, so unless there's a player with a counterspell, the deck has that ability for the rest of the game more or less.

I'm honestly unclear on the point you're making here. That commander isn't particularly vulnerable to tuck effects since he exiles himself as part of the cost of his ability, he still has to pay the commander tax every time he uses him, and the commander himself isn't that powerful.

Y'know, to say nothing of the fact that building your deck around the abilities of your commander is the entire goddamned point of the format.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 5, 2017

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Commander needs to go the way of Tiny Leaders

Didn't they just ban a bunch of blue cantrips today? What a loving lovely format.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Getting hard countered by a commander sucks, but being able to permanently remove someone's commander in a format where you're supposed to build around them was dumb and probably just pushed people towards playing more generic goodstuff decks and combo decks with a Progenitus parked in the command zone.

Also there are a bunch of ways to haze someone's commander, with blue in particular having no shortage.

I'm honestly unclear on the point you're making here. That commander isn't particularly vulnerable to tuck effects since he exiles himself as part of the cost of his ability, he still has to pay the commander tax every time he uses him, and the commander himself isn't that powerful.

Y'know, to say nothing of the fact that building your deck around the abilities of your commander is the entire goddamned point of the format.

If you can't pack any kind of a backup plan in your 100 card singleton deck you should probably rethink your deck

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Didn't they just ban a bunch of blue cantrips today? What a loving lovely format.

Why play these types of formats if you do all the powerful things?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

EatinCake posted:

Balthor the Defiled is quite possibly one of the least powerful commanders I have ever seen so he's probably not really affected all that much by the tuck rules

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

Why play these types of formats if you do all the powerful things?

Lol they banned Brainstorm, Preordain and Ponder but not any of the tutors. What a trainwreck format

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Lol they banned Brainstorm, Preordain and Ponder but not any of the tutors. What a trainwreck format

Those are all still totally legal in EDH.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Where is this? I just tried looking it up and finding nothing about new bans.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Voyager I posted:

Back when I played EDH like 5 years ago that was what made the format fun. A bunch of goofy and jank poo poo that related to your commander. My first ever deck was Rafiq so I just threw in everything that had exalted even though 90% of it was unplayable poo poo but over the years people just started using commanders for their color and then it was a race to who could crank out their infinite first while never casting their commander and it just became less and less fun as the years went on.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

TheMaestroso posted:

I saw something on Reddit this morning

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Maybe they banned them in one of the four different versions of 1v1 commander, which outside of the MTGO one have the same player count as the average Living Card Game, so who cares. The official Commander banned list has no changes.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Oh, those bans. Those are for the 1v1 Commander variant played only on MTGO. I don't know if anyone gives a poo poo about that format.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Mtgo 1v1 commander banned vial smasher, ponder, preordain, brainstorm, and treachery and unbanned a bunch of mp cards.

http://wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/162630833904/commander-1v1-banned-update

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
So they have an online 1v1 format, online multiplayer and then paper edh with all separate banlists?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Online mp will use the paper banlist.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

So they have an online 1v1 format, online multiplayer and then paper edh with all separate banlists?

Multiplayer and 1v1 online have separate ban lists, as far as I know there is no distinction made between online and paper for multiplayer.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I don't really know why wotc decided to make their own special 1v1 mtgo-only commander with a different banlist in the first place? Was anyone actually clamouring for it? Anyone who actually wanted a more 1v1 oriented ruleset for Commander was probably already playing French Duel EDH anyway.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

TheMaestroso posted:

There is nothing on The Wizards page for today, but they announced it on their tumblr, lol

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Cactrot posted:

Multiplayer and 1v1 online have separate ban lists, as far as I know there is no distinction made between online and paper for multiplayer.

I don't think you can use Sol Ring in multiplayer EDH on MTGO right? But you can use it in the Paper offline version?

I had a friend tell me at my LGS that he couldn't use Sol Ring anymore in the MTGO multiplayer rooms but it was legal offline...then in the 1v1 online you can use Emrakul but in multiplayer paper it's banned.

The only time I had fun with multiplayer EDH was I think it was called Peasant Commander. You have an Uncommon general, 9 uncommon cards allowed then the rest must be common cards. I had a sweet Blaze Commando deck

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 5, 2017

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I don't think you can use Sol Ring in multiplayer EDH on MTGO right? But you can use it in the Paper offline version?

I had a friend tell me at my LGS that he couldn't use Sol Ring anymore in the MTGO multiplayer rooms but it was legal offline...then in the 1v1 online you can use Emrakul but in multiplayer paper it's banned.

It sounds like a headache

Nah that's because when Wotc first decided to make their seperate 1v1 mtgo commander format, they initially decided to push its new banlist on online multiplayer commander as well. They changed this because literally everyone hated it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ZeroCount posted:

I don't really know why wotc decided to make their own special 1v1 mtgo-only commander with a different banlist in the first place? Was anyone actually clamouring for it? Anyone who actually wanted a more 1v1 oriented ruleset for Commander was probably already playing French Duel EDH anyway.

They have the development bandwidth for like one decent feature a quarter and adding new event types ups revenue. Really it's only maintaining one more format definition so it ought to have been a reasonably large bang for the buck effort thing. That's probably 80% of it and diehard EDH fans the rest.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you can't pack any kind of a backup plan in your 100 card singleton deck you should probably rethink your deck

Your deck should be built around the assumption that bad things can happen to your commander, but getting your commander Imprisoned in the Moon leaves a lot more room for interaction than having him shuffled into 85 cards.

The only time I had fun with multiplayer EDH was I think it was called Peasant Commander. You have an Uncommon general, 9 uncommon cards allowed then the rest must be common cards. I had a sweet Blaze Commando deck

1v1 and Multiplayer are functionally different formats and should have different ban lists.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Also the multiplayer banned list is loving awful

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

OgreNoah posted:

Merfolk doesn't work well in EDH. I tried it once with white Sygg. One of my friends played Elesh Norn just once and the game was over for me. Nothing I could play would survive.

Spicy as gently caress tech for this: Gather Specimens.

Actually, Gather Specimens is spicy in lots of situations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

Also the multiplayer banned list is loving awful

And the duel ban list. Lol at banning the cantrips when Vamp, DT, and Mystical Tutor are still legal. Like, 90% of the games I've played nobody even cast a cantrip, and when they did it really didn't matter because 100 card singleton but every EOT Vamp, Mystical, or Enlightened Tutor has ended the game immediately.

I really don't know how anyone can think WotC has any idea how to make a format at this point.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

And the duel ban list. Lol at banning the cantrips when Vamp, DT, and Mystical Tutor are still legal. Like, 90% of the games I've played nobody even cast a cantrip, and when they did it really didn't matter because 100 card singleton but every EOT Vamp, Mystical, or Enlightened Tutor has ended the game immediately.

I really don't know how anyone can think WotC has any idea how to make a format at this point.

To be completely fair, wotc has only just started banning, although they probably should have started more aggressively. The Rules Committee product is basically finished.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Zemyla posted:

Spicy as gently caress tech for this: Gather Specimens.

Actually, Gather Specimens is spicy in lots of situations.

Can confirm its spiciness. I won the very first game of EDH I ever played off of that card in response to an infinite token loop.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I play Baral, can confirm that without Vial Smasher something needed to be done about me, and taking my brainstorm hurts but I understand it had to be done.

Also I'm doing the most busted things in the format with mystical tutor and it's just polymorph tutoring with a spare island.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I am still utterly baffled that MTGO isn't just using the Duel Commander rules and banlist. What is the purpose of making their own when that one has been tested extensively and had several tournaments to aggregate statistics with?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Shortest Path posted:

I am still utterly baffled that MTGO isn't just using the Duel Commander rules and banlist. What is the purpose of making their own when that one has been tested extensively and had several tournaments to aggregate statistics with?

Wizards of the Coast isn't very good at this.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think wotc is moving towards making duel Commander an occasional GP format and therefore want a banned list that they control. Probably should have started with the French list rather than the RC, but it's wotc so they're going to do it in a clumsy and awkward way

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh baby Painter's Servant is unbanned. Time to play Jaya Ballard, the bestest red blue mage.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Their ban philosophy is rather trigger-happy. And by rather I mean extremely. Sufficiently :qq: on MTGS and they'll ban your bad matchup. They also strive to find some probably-mythical balance between combo/control/aggro and all five colors but favor banning commanders, and the current result is that aggro is on top, and who knows what the metagame will look like in August when they ban Reyhan, Bruse, Zurgo, and Geist.

The MTGO results are a lot more data for modomander in its few months than Duel Commander has in the same time frame, really.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Competitive EDH sounds awful

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Their ban philosophy is rather trigger-happy. And by rather I mean extremely. Sufficiently :qq: on MTGS and they'll ban your bad matchup. They also strive to find some probably-mythical balance between combo/control/aggro and all five colors but favor banning commanders, and the current result is that aggro is on top, and who knows what the metagame will look like in August when they ban Reyhan, Bruse, Zurgo, and Geist.

The MTGO results are a lot more data for modomander in its few months than Duel Commander has in the same time frame, really.

Sure, but it still would have been a much better starting point than the multiplayer list, and then they could extrapolate based on MTGO data from that point instead of taking ~a year to realize that they need to ban vintage tutors.

Also the Duel metagame has been really stable and not particularly aggro-heavy for the past ~3 months, I'm optimistic that they won't need to ban anything.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

EDH sounds awful