Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

GrandpaPants posted:

It's been way too long without an expansion for TI4, which is a game that feels like it should be pretty easy to expand. Like even just more races seems like a simple enough expansion.

Has Arkham Horror even gotten an expansion?

Is it too soon to say RIP FFG?

It’s totally RIP FFG. Asmodee has turned them into a licensed games factory and is aggressively shitcanning lower revenue products. They e had a couple of gambles like Keyforge but you can see how less and less original the product lineup is becoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Random posters on the geek say that there should be copies of TI making its way to distribution imminently so unless it's a lie you've got time to grab a copy if you were waiting.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2349556/2020-q1-reprint

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Nemesis does feel like a more mechanically sound version of Dead of Winter, but it has the same unevenness with the semi-traitor mechanisms, but also very static due to the limited number of actual turns you'll take in the game. You might do 3 major things in the game and it's wrapping up. I feel no urge to play it again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How is X-Wing doing? Last in flight report they gave sales number at it was the majority of their 40+ million yearly revenue, but that was before Asmodee and 2.0. Should we start a deathwatch thread for FFG?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

How is X-Wing doing? Last in flight report they gave sales number at it was the majority of their 40+ million yearly revenue, but that was before Asmodee and 2.0. Should we start a deathwatch thread for FFG?

That supposed former employee who did an AMA said XWing was selling fine.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sportsgenius86 posted:

That supposed former employee who did an AMA said XWing was selling fine.

He also said that TI4 is one of the top 50 titles for Asmodee overall. It is being reprinted and will continue to do so as long as it keeps putting up big numbers

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

food court bailiff posted:

I don't believe AH 3rd has, no. I don't know, generally I'm pretty anti-expansion in the board game space for things like this (because I'm sick of chasing new boxes of junk and cluttering my shelves when they inevitably don't fit in the base game) but it's still pretty worrying.

Arkham 3rd does have one expansion: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror-third-edition/products/dead-night/

Came out in October. Two new scenarios, four investigators, bunch of new encounter cards, basically what you’d expect.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 17, 2020

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Crackbone posted:

It’s totally RIP FFG.

FFG dying would be very sad. They were really strong when I entered the hobby. They are surely a shadow of their former selves though.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
It would be extraordinary if they died in a huge boom market.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It would be extraordinary if they died in a huge boom market.

People would be super mad at Asmodee.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mayveena posted:

People would be super mad at Asmodee.

Fuckin vulture capitalism.

I'm already mad. :\

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Confident Asmodee doesn't care: but yeah even if you don't want that part of the design wing, license out all the games you don't want and truck on.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I can see Asmodee clearing house until FFG is nothing but a Star Wars game farm and none of the old FFG is left (like Blizzard/Activision) but no way they kill that cash cow entirely. FFG is a huge brand so much so that it was a merger and not a takeover (again, like Blizzard/Activision) but with Christian Petersen gone and Asmodee going through the motions of cutting costs to maximize sell-ability for the equity firm that bought them all but FFG as we knew it is probably already dead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

djfooboo posted:

FFG dying would be very sad. They were really strong when I entered the hobby. They are surely a shadow of their former selves though.

I honestly don't miss coffin boxes. My Tide of Iron 1st edition may be about to jump in value though.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
So I was looking at solo playable deck builders and it looks like my choices are Aeon’s End or Legendary Encounters.

What are the thread views on the two? I think I’m leaning towards AE at the moment but given they’re not exactly cheap I thought I’d put it to the hive mind!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

FFG won't literally die, but it will probably be gutted both pre-sale and post-sale in a tone-deaf effort to look appealing and maximize profits. Plenty of other game companies have been eating their lunch as far as non-licensed games go for some time now, so they'll continue forward with the mission Asmodee gave them because it's all they'll be capable of doing for a while: sell Arkham/Marvel/Star Wars products, sleeves, and a few other things that generate profit, and don't stray far from there.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 17, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

X_ThePerfect posted:

So I was looking at solo playable deck builders and it looks like my choices are Aeon’s End or Legendary Encounters.

What are the thread views on the two? I think I’m leaning towards AE at the moment but given they’re not exactly cheap I thought I’d put it to the hive mind!

You need to be more specific when it comes to Legendary Encounters, as there are four different versions and the quality varies drastically.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010

Jedit posted:

You need to be more specific when it comes to Legendary Encounters, as there are four different versions and the quality varies drastically.

Ah sorry - I‘ve only been able to find Predator nearby so I guess that one!

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

There is a small 18xx called 18TE about a small German region for 2-3 players and I'm thinking about trying to do a PnP for it. Seems small enough to get a sense of 18xx games and maybe get my group to try it out.

Any tips for doing the PnP? Should I use extra thick paper? Laminating y/n?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Laminating is great for 18xx pnp. I laminate the cards (shares, trains, privates), charters. If I was doing it all over again, I'd laminate the tiles too, but I started out backing them on cardboard and don't feel like switching. I was sceptical of flat and thin tiles but they play fine. Get yourself a rotary cutter and non-slip ruler. Don't bother w/ special paper, the laminate adds enough heft. For the tokens most people use an A4 sticker and transfer it to wooden counters. I transfer the design to counter sheets where the front and back of the token are on opposite sides of a paper. Then I just fold them in half, mount them onto cardboard, and cut them out. Either way, might be worthwhile getting a hole punch because cutting out circles is difficult and tedious. As for the map, back it with something or just cover it w/ laminate in play.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

X_ThePerfect posted:

Ah sorry - I‘ve only been able to find Predator nearby so I guess that one!

Predator is not the best of the series, and it only has two cooperative scenarios. The other two are competitive, a mode to which I don't think Legendary lends itself very well. It would be interesting to play the Predator mode of the game solo, but the game is designed around having multiple players and required a rules hotfix to make solo mode fully viable.

If you can find LE: Alien, though, go for it. The base box has scenarios for all four Ripley movies and they did an excellent job of making them feel both different and like the movie they're based on. The first expansion adds two characters to each of the base game scenarios, increasing both variety and difficulty, along with a 1vMany mode and two original scenarios with their own characters. The second expansion is Alien Covenant and it's been made to challenge experienced players.

There's also crossover rules for people who own both boxes that allow you to play the Alien scenarios as Predators.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Mr. Squishy posted:

Laminating is great for 18xx pnp. I laminate the cards (shares, trains, privates), charters. If I was doing it all over again, I'd laminate the tiles too, but I started out backing them on cardboard and don't feel like switching. I was sceptical of flat and thin tiles but they play fine. Get yourself a rotary cutter and non-slip ruler. Don't bother w/ special paper, the laminate adds enough heft. For the tokens most people use an A4 sticker and transfer it to wooden counters. I transfer the design to counter sheets where the front and back of the token are on opposite sides of a paper. Then I just fold them in half, mount them onto cardboard, and cut them out. Either way, might be worthwhile getting a hole punch because cutting out circles is difficult and tedious. As for the map, back it with something or just cover it w/ laminate in play.

Thanks.

Laminating seems the way to go then. It's a small design so I'm looking at like 14 pages to print and laminate. Looking forward to it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The final "laminate" of course should be perspex. Don't laminate your table.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Yeah, of course. Thinking about splitting the map into 2xA4, laminate it and maybe add some tape on the back to hold it toghether.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

S.J. posted:

FFG won't literally die, but it will probably be gutted both pre-sale and post-sale in a tone-deaf effort to look appealing and maximize profits. Plenty of other game companies have been eating their lunch as far as non-licensed games go for some time now, so they'll continue forward with the mission Asmodee gave them because it's all they'll be capable of doing for a while: sell Arkham/Marvel/Star Wars products, sleeves, and a few other things that generate profit, and don't stray far from there.

This isn't the worst thing that can happen, really. They'll sell and trade on the FFG goodwill until that's exhausted, and if we're lucky they'll accidentally install another visionary who can re-expand into original or less well-known IPs subsidized by the heavy hitters they currently have.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

Quest has a terrible rulebook, but it's OK once you understand how it works. It's still the weakest of the Itemeeple games, though.

The only truly bad Tiny Epic is Defenders. Kingdoms is limp without its expansion, Western is just sort of there, and Zombies, Mechs and Tactics are all quite entertaining in their own ways.

Defenders 2nd Edition is one of the better games of the series I think. I'd say expansionless Kingdoms and Western are the worst of the series, discounting Defenders 1st ed, which is out of print.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If FFG was purchased by an equity group, they're already dead.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CommonShore posted:

If FFG was purchased by an equity group, they're already dead.

Asmodee as a whole was, which includes FFG. This was back in ‘17 I think?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, they've been gradually selling off chunks of it for a long while.

It's a great shame.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I wasn't trying to say that FFG would close, just that it no longer resembles the FFG pre-Asmodee.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mr. Squishy posted:

The final "laminate" of course should be perspex. Don't laminate your table.

Yeah it'd probably make the table too slick :)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

deadwing posted:

Defenders 2nd Edition is one of the better games of the series I think. I'd say expansionless Kingdoms and Western are the worst of the series, discounting Defenders 1st ed, which is out of print.

Yeah, TE:Defenders 2nd edition was a huge shift in fun level, but unfortunately everyone remembered 1st edition and didn't give it a shot. It's a pretty meaty game for it's size.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I asked about the Tiny Epic games because I grabbed Mechs on a whim. Finally cracked it open and wow, there’s a bunch crammed in there.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Huh, Starfarers of Catan just popped up & I had no idea it was reprinted.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Eyes Have It posted:

Huh, Starfarers of Catan just popped up & I had no idea it was reprinted.

No no no

Catan: Starfarers

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

silvergoose posted:

No no no

Catan: Starfarers

The new spaceships look poo poo compared to the old ones, sad to say.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Of course the last copy of Road and Boats from Cardhaus came banged up. Of course it did.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Anyone get a chance to try out Empyreal yet? Argent is probably one of my favorite games, so was curious on the sophomore effort.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Crackbone posted:

I wasn't trying to say that FFG would close, just that it no longer resembles the FFG pre-Asmodee.

I don't think it will close per se, but I'd be pretty surprised if it doesn't wind up a brand-only subsidiary of some megacorp before the decade's out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't think it will close per se, but I'd be pretty surprised if it doesn't wind up a brand-only subsidiary of some megacorp before the decade's out.
as I said at the start of this, we're already there by most accounts.