Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

areyoucontagious posted:

That is an excellent point- the problem is coming into the horror thread and having people rave about Mungo. I seriously try and keep my expectations down when I watch movies people recommend on the internet; I like Session 9, and Grave Encounters was pretty funny, but Lake Mungo was just completely not what I was expecting. You've summed up what I was having trouble putting words to- it's really a family drama with some supernatural elements, not a horror movie.

Well, for some of us the drama enhanced the eventual horror, particularly the climax and the final scene, with the ghost being abandoned by her family, who are "moving on". I found the eventual implications of the story pretty disturbing, and it stuck with me for quite a while, even if it wasn't scary while I actually watched it.

I mean, it's a horror movie in the sense that it's got heavy supernatural elements and its eventual goal is to disturb you, but it goes about those goals in a very different way than most horror does. I'd still call it a horror movie, but it comes with a list of qualifications just because of the inherent assumptions that come with that.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

sethsez posted:

Well, for some of us the drama enhanced the eventual horror, particularly the climax and the final scene, with the ghost being abandoned by her family, who are "moving on". I found the eventual implications of the story pretty disturbing, and it stuck with me for quite a while, even if it wasn't scary while I actually watched it.

I mean, it's a horror movie in the sense that it's got heavy supernatural elements and its eventual goal is to disturb you, but it goes about those goals in a very different way than most horror does. I'd still call it a horror movie, but it comes with a list of qualifications just because of the inherent assumptions that come with that.

I will admit, the family's frantic digging and subsequent discovery of Alice's bag of stuff was extremely emotionally charged, which left me feeling extremely amped for when the climax actually came. I think for me is that despite my best efforts to go in with no expectations, I was expecting a more traditional horror film. That said, I did find the brother's fakeouts with the cameras to be really stupid. It just felt like a waste of time, but I guess I understand that it was a big plot point regarding the family drama.

I do have a question though- wikipedia states this movie as "a girl with a double life" but is the entirety of double life just that she got tag-teamed by the neighbors? Or was it implied that the sex was a constant thing? I dunno, maybe I missed it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This is why genre is descriptive and not prescriptive, your expectations coming into a movie shouldn't determine how you watch it.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is why genre is descriptive and not prescriptive, your expectations coming into a movie shouldn't determine how you watch it.

That's how it should be, anyway, but I readily admit that I almost never can watch a movie without my expectations coloring my viewing in some way. =/

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Watched The Innkeepers last night, loving loved it. Pretty much every horror movie out there should take notes from this film.

Why? Because even though the story wasn't original, and even though it wasn't made on a huge budget with big name actors, the two leads had genuine chemistry and the dialogue in the script felt "natural" to me for some reason. Basically I actually cared what happened to the two of them. To be honest, in most horror movies, deep down you're cheering for the people in them to get hosed up. A zombie movie wouldn't be any fun without zombies eating people, Friday the 13th wouldn't have been cool without the over the top deaths, etc. With The Innkeepers, the atmosphere was good enough that my wife and I started to get really creeped out midway through, but we would have been perfectly content if nothing bad happened to anyone. It was a fantastic movie, easily the best horror movie I've seen in a long time.

After that, I watched House of the Devil. I probably should have waited before watching it, because I was expecting another Innkeepers. I disliked this movie immensely. Innkeepers succeeded because despite the flaws, I cared about the leads. In HOTD, I couldn't care less. There is no real reason to care about the main girl, I already forgot her name. No real character development, and she comes across as greedy and stupid. She agrees to do the babysitting job for an obscene amount of money because she got a new place to live that she couldn't really afford . For the majority of the movie she's alone in the house, and it just isn't interesting. Then the over the top climax happens, and the ending it just so generic based on the premise. Total letdown, I really don't see what people like about this movie.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

rxcowboy posted:

Watched The Innkeepers last night, loving loved it. Pretty much every horror movie out there should take notes from this film.

Why? Because even though the story wasn't original, and even though it wasn't made on a huge budget with big name actors, the two leads had genuine chemistry and the dialogue in the script felt "natural" to me for some reason. Basically I actually cared what happened to the two of them. To be honest, in most horror movies, deep down you're cheering for the people in them to get hosed up. A zombie movie wouldn't be any fun without zombies eating people, Friday the 13th wouldn't have been cool without the over the top deaths, etc. With The Innkeepers, the atmosphere was good enough that my wife and I started to get really creeped out midway through, but we would have been perfectly content if nothing bad happened to anyone. It was a fantastic movie, easily the best horror movie I've seen in a long time.

I watched this last night as well. I think it did a good job at selecting two characters that worked well together and put them in a lame job that made it relatable to the viewer. Overall, I would recommend it as it's on Netflix.

I was a little put off by how curious the main character was..it kind of required a pretty big dose of acceptance that a person would be like that. The big reveal was good but the curiosity of the girl was somewhat annoying. The psychic in the movie was also quite weird - the alcoholism was really corny and shouldn't have been played up imo. When Lee gets woken up and asks for vodka just to take a sip is kind of stupid and doesn't lend to any important point honestly.

The tension on the upper floors was quite good - every time they went upstairs it really felt kind of hostile and made the character seem unsafe somehow whereas the front desk was their safe haven for the first half of the movie. It was really interesting to watch all this change in the second half to where the front desk was far too close to the basement / hallway and was no longer safe.

I'm not sure if my TV was set too dark or if the movie was just too dark but in all the scenes where madeline appears she was near invisible so it made it even spookier for me to be kind of squinting and then all the sudden she pops out at me.

Did anything happen in that end scene of Lee's room? I didn't feel like staring for 5 minutes at it and I REALLY felt like they were going to pull the "screamer" scare that was shown on the laptop earlier in the movie haha.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

JP Money posted:

(the innkeepers)

Did anything happen in that end scene of Lee's room? I didn't feel like staring for 5 minutes at it and I REALLY felt like they were going to pull the "screamer" scare that was shown on the laptop earlier in the movie haha.

I had to look it up after we watched it, but appearantly you can see her ghost close the door.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I had to look it up after we watched it, but appearantly you can see her ghost close the door.

Thanks! I was wondering if it was just a jump scare. That whole ending scene was kind of awkward.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What do you guys think of Cannibal Holocaust?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

escape artist posted:

What do you guys think of Cannibal Holocaust?

Transcends it's corniness and is still completely unpleasant. There's a cool thread still live about it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494817

areyoucontagious posted:

That's how it should be, anyway, but I readily admit that I almost never can watch a movie without my expectations coloring my viewing in some way. =/

Yeah, of course, I just think too often genre expectations narrow the range of movies that "qualify" when it really doesn't matter.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.

rxcowboy posted:

Watched The Innkeepers ...

After that, I watched House of the Devil. ... I disliked this movie immensely.

I've watched The Innkeepers three times now, and I think last night makes the 3rd or 4th time I've watched The House of the Devil. I enjoy both of these movies immensely, and equally.

Your post is really interesting. As I was watching HotD last night I recalled, again, how much I absolutely loved Samantha. I didn't see her as greedy or stupid. Kids in college have basically no money. When I was sophomore (Samantha's age), I once had to cover the check I wrote for my phone bill with coins I found in my car. I sympathized with her a lot.

Early in the movie she's committed to giving up on the whole thing (after Tom Noonan stands her up and she falls asleep on the campus steps). And then she almost backs out again when she sees how creepy and off everything feels. Noonan's character has to basically force her to stay by throwing money at her. When she counter-offers with a really large sum ($400 to his $200, IIRC?) that's not her being greedy, that's her secretly hoping he'll say forget it so she can walk away without regret. Haven't you ever done that sort of thing before? I have.

I'm actually thinking of buying the BluRay of it even though it's perpetually available on Netflix.

However, I will give you that Claire is ultimately more likeable. I wanted to just hang out with them. If there's anything I miss about being young and poor and childless, it's actually the ennui. Innkeepers captured that perfectly.

tl;dr: ti west is my favorite director & i love him

epoch. fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 22, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DrVenkman posted:

As for 'Dawn of the Dead' it's not even my favourite Romero one, and I think that 'Day' and 'Night' probably have it beat. I think I commented on this, probably earlier in this thread, but I find that people just screaming "BUT IT'S SOCIAL COMMENTARY!" at me doesn't make me like it any more.

Totally with you on this, yeah, I get it, the film is about consumerism and whatnot. It's loving boring though, and has absolutely no tension. And blue zombies.

I started up Grave Encounters 2 last night and made it to about 50~ minutes and it's strange, because I like it but that's only because it's exactly the same as the first film. I don't really expect it to change things up much, but it's played it so safe and so close to home I feel like I'm watching a remake. Going to finish the rest up tonight.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Catching up on some backlog, just finished watching I Saw The Devil. It's probably up there in terms of my favorite modern-day horror films. The pacing was perfect, it was extensively gory and brutal, but holy poo poo rigging the door so the curious family wound up chopping Kyung-chul's head off and having the head roll right to them. Quick question about the end though: was Soo-hyun crying at the end because he felt actual remorse or shame over the fact that he actually became worse than the guy he was getting revenge on? I just wanted to make sure I interpreted the ending right.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Liku posted:

Totally with you on this, yeah, I get it, the film is about consumerism and whatnot. It's loving boring though, and has absolutely no tension. And blue zombies.

The biker gang was really something too. Apparently the filmmakers used an actual MC, but it still left me thinking of Any which way but loose.

It did have its moments though, the mall really reminded me of how they used to be when I was a kid, the fashions weren't as horribly dated as other 70's movies, and they did use the fact that the zombies just shamble to get away from them.

Also made me want to get some Iron City beer.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Sweeney Tom posted:

Catching up on some backlog, just finished watching I Saw The Devil. It's probably up there in terms of my favorite modern-day horror films. The pacing was perfect, it was extensively gory and brutal, but holy poo poo rigging the door so the curious family wound up chopping Kyung-chul's head off and having the head roll right to them. Quick question about the end though: was Soo-hyun crying at the end because he felt actual remorse or shame over the fact that he actually became worse than the guy he was getting revenge on? I just wanted to make sure I interpreted the ending right.

I took it at as him finding no answers in revenge. Okay, you got the bastard. And it didn't matter. Your life is still in ruins, your wife is still dead and there was no catharsis. His hunting and torture of Kyung-Chul was all that he had and now it's gone too. Also, he's maybe realized his selfish desires have lead to more people being killed and hurt by Kyung Chul. It could've been over and he let it continue. Tis why I took the movie as a bit of a condemnation of revenge or at least a commentary on it's futility. Oh yeah, also that curious family is Kyung Chul's if I'm not mistaken.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 22, 2012

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

troll for dollars posted:

I already searched Amazon with no luck, so I thought I'd ask you guys: was there ever a region 1 or region free release of Noroi: The Curse? I watched it on Youtube recently and I'd really like a hardcopy but all I've been able to find is a Region 3 version.

No region 1 options, it was licensed back in 2008 by the US division of a Japanese publisher and they shut down shortly after that so it never came out. There's just the two region 3 versions from HK and Malaysia that have English subtitles, but they use different translations and I don't know which was better (guessing Malaysia since the movie got a theatrical release in Singapore). hkflix used to sell a region free version that I assume was a bootleg, so they do exist, though I'm not sure where you'd find it now.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Parachute posted:

One of my favorite parts of The Collector is definitely the alternate ending:

Arkin, the main character, upon seeing that the little girl was still alive and being held in the house, decides to just leave instead of rescuing her.

Well, that and the entire scene with the dog death. I don't deal with animal deaths in movies very well, but that one had me laughing really hard.

Huh, that first spoiler would have completely fixed the movie for me because that's where I thought the excellent idea the movie was playing with went off the rails. To answer the previous question of "What the gently caress was the Collector doing", I thought the idea of the movie (up until the actual scene used) was that a movie from one genre (heist/urban crime) accidentally stumbled into another another genre's movie (slasher). I think almost the entire movie takes place from the POV of the burglar, with the exception of the pre-credits scene (which explained nothing) and a slight bit at the end. Most of the movie, up until that spoilered scene, follows a character who is behaving largely rationally (given the situation he's in): he doesn't bother looking for weapons or try to figure out what's going on or have a total screaming paralyzing breakdown, but rather focuses on the one thing he recognizes as important, namely getting the gently caress out of there and back into his own movie. What the Collector is doing or why is irrelevant; all that matters is he's a psycho with exceptional home improvement skills. The movie kinda hammered that in a bit further during the teen sex scene where the Collector just watches and starts kinda-panting like a pervert, rather than activating some Jigsaw-esque mega-trap.

I've been exposed over the last few years to far too many episodes of Criminal Minds, and I felt The Collector hit a lot of the same notes, except instead of the BAU flying around in a jet and super-analyzing the situation with computers and magic, it's Joe AverageMan's (and the audience) turn at solving a case, and boy howdy are we screwed. But that's also what makes the alternate ending more appropriate, because my girlfriend and I started yelling at the TV right then because what he was doing was wrong, wrong, wrong, and (for us) it betrayed the concept.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 22, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

areyoucontagious posted:

I also was not that thrilled by Lake Mungo. It was alright, but ehhh I got bored.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

Toaster Beef posted:

Watched The Ring for the first time in about seven or eight years last night. I forgot how much that movie rattled me the first time around, and even now it managed to keep me awake for a bit. I know it's not a masterpiece, but I really enjoyed it. Lots of tension, and the atmosphere's pretty loving incredible.

OK Octopus posted:

Oh my loving God, that closet jump scare...

I have seen my fair share of scary movies, but The Ring scared me like no other. I unplugged the TV in my bedroom at night for about a week. Its funny the closet scene got mentioned. My wife and I saw it in theaters opening weekend, so there was a pretty sizeable crowd there. Sadly it was mostly teenagers... but that ended up being the sole funny element of the entire evening.

The vast majority of the people in attendance thought they were there to see another Scream / Scary Movie sequel...what with the good looking teenage girls discussing the tape etc. There were lots of whispers under people's breath, quite a few "ahh he'll nah don't go in there"'s, plenty of giggling and just general commotion going on during the first few minutes.

then BAM

Closet scene / reveal with the oh so subtle head drop.

You could hear a pin drop for the rest of the film. Nary a giggle or whisper was heard for the rest of the night... except mine, I laugh as a self defense mechanism when I am scared. I was laughing my rear end off when she came out of the TV.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Are any of the New Wave of French Horror films (or whatever the "official title" is) worth watching outside of "Martyrs", "Inside", and "Haute Tension"? I am reading the Wiki page, and the only ones I have heard are "Ils" and "Irreversible." I don't want to watch the latter because of the supposedly long rape scene.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've mentioned it before here, but See The Sea is sort of a precursor to that movement and it's fantastic.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Twin Cinema posted:

Are any of the New Wave of French Horror films (or whatever the "official title" is) worth watching outside of "Martyrs", "Inside", and "Haute Tension"? I am reading the Wiki page, and the only ones I have heard are "Ils" and "Irreversible." I don't want to watch the latter because of the supposedly long rape scene.
I liked Frontiers, although it seemed like one of the least "new wave" of those movies, if that makes any sense. I took it more as an homage than anything new or groundbreaking, it's sort of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre with neo-Nazis. It's a pretty insane and violent movie though.

And Sheitan is a bizarre and often hilarious trip.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Frontiers is really good.

Sheitan is hard to watch because the main dude looks like Nigel Thornberry and I kept hoping for him to give a good ol' "Smashing!"

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

BunLengthHotDog posted:

I have seen my fair share of scary movies, but The Ring scared me like no other. I unplugged the TV in my bedroom at night for about a week. Its funny the closet scene got mentioned. My wife and I saw it in theaters opening weekend, so there was a pretty sizeable crowd there. Sadly it was mostly teenagers... but that ended up being the sole funny element of the entire evening.

The vast majority of the people in attendance thought they were there to see another Scream / Scary Movie sequel...what with the good looking teenage girls discussing the tape etc. There were lots of whispers under people's breath, quite a few "ahh he'll nah don't go in there"'s, plenty of giggling and just general commotion going on during the first few minutes.

then BAM

Closet scene / reveal with the oh so subtle head drop.

You could hear a pin drop for the rest of the film. Nary a giggle or whisper was heard for the rest of the night... except mine, I laugh as a self defense mechanism when I am scared. I was laughing my rear end off when she came out of the TV.

I was one of those teenagers when the movie came out and it was easily the best experience I had watching a movie with a crowd. No one knew anything about J-horror back then and no one expected anything to happen like that closet scene in that movie (or the suicide or the horse).

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Toaster Beef posted:

Watched The Ring for the first time in about seven or eight years last night. I forgot how much that movie rattled me the first time around, and even now it managed to keep me awake for a bit. I know it's not a masterpiece, but I really enjoyed it.

The Ring is a masterpiece. :colbert:

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
After thinking about it for a day, I've had a change of heart in regards to House of the Devil. I think the problem was that I watched The Innkeepers first, and then HOTD second, so it seemed like a step backward in terms of what I liked most about the Innkeepers, namely the fantastic chemistry between the actors and how natural everything felt.

When I examine HOTD on it's on merits, it's a good movie. It's basically a love letter to "shocking" horror films from the late 70s to mid 80s and delivers a feeling of claustrophobia and inescapable doom for most of the movie.

Ti West's evolution as a director is very clear from these two films. HOTD is basically fan fiction for a decade of horror, but Innkeepers is where West finds his voice and focuses more on character development and dialogue than gore and jump scares. This continued with V/H/S. At first I disliked his segment of the movie, the "Second Honeymoon" but then I rewatched it based on the advice of a poster here and it grew on me. Again, the focus is on the characters and dialogue. At first it appears like it's just another couple on vacation, but if you pay attention it's clear there are strains on the relationship and basically a huge fight is about to break out any second.

I think West might be my favorite horror movie director at the moment. His grasp of the importance of creating realistic empathetic characters instead of focusing on cheesy jump scares makes a world of difference, and I can't wait to see what he does next.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I loved the characters in The Inkeepers, but that's about it. Nothing else about that movie appealed to me. Lack of tension, lack of scares, lack of ... everything else, really. Just really good characters. Kind of a pity they were wasted.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Toaster Beef posted:

I loved the characters in The Inkeepers, but that's about it. Nothing else about that movie appealed to me. Lack of tension, lack of scares, lack of ... everything else, really. Just really good characters. Kind of a pity they were wasted.

This is how I felt. I liked the characters (or rather, I believed the characters... sometimes they annoyed me, but in a way that made sense for aimless 20-somethings blowing off steam at work), but they were given nothing to do. The whole movie felt like some kind of build up to something, like a twist or a revelation or a grand finale or a moment that puts things into some kind of grander context but no. We're told there's a ghost in the basement, and then there's a ghost in the basement. It looks spooky at the hero, who promptly dies. The old man ghost was certainly a nice touch, but it wasn't enough for how long it took to get there, and Madeline herself wasn't just not scary, she was completely expected... we'd seen her earlier in the movie so we knew exactly what she looked like already.

Nothing was resolved. We already knew everything there was to know about the haunting itself, and it never really managed to have anything to do with the main characters beyond their own interest in it. If the movie focused more on the haunting that'd be fine, not everything has to be a character piece, but The Innkeepers is a character piece and it never found a compelling or interesting way to tie its main characters to the central haunting thematically. Their general slacker ennui was the most compelling aspect of the movie, yet it barely mattered in the end.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sethsez posted:

This is how I felt. I liked the characters (or rather, I believed the characters... sometimes they annoyed me, but in a way that made sense for aimless 20-somethings blowing off steam at work), but they were given nothing to do. The whole movie felt like some kind of build up to something, like a twist or a revelation or a grand finale or a moment that puts things into some kind of grander context but no.

The Innkeepers is about a young girl who scares herself to death. There aren't any ghosts, except in a metaphorical sense. This is why the focus is entirely on those characters and not on 'busting techniques.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Innkeepers is about a young girl who scares herself to death. There aren't any ghosts, except in a metaphorical sense. This is why the focus is entirely on those characters and not on 'busting techniques.

And I liked that the movie was going with that, right up to the final shot where she, herself, is now a ghost. It seemed like a too on-the-nose ending for a film that otherwise did a great job of implying, as you said, that she was simply psyching herself out.

That said, that was in fact the interpretation I had been going with until the ending, which was so literal I pretty much wrote it off. It does tie things together better than anything else I suppose, even if I do think it's a bit of a light concept in how it's handled.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

BunLengthHotDog posted:

I have seen my fair share of scary movies, but The Ring scared me like no other.

This is still the only horror film that truly terrified me to the bone. Sure DotD's remake had some really scare bits, Saw had its cringe factor (at least for the original 3), and Jason had his unstoppable menace, but this film...

Dear god this film still bugs me to this day. It would be a whole hell of a lot worse if two didn't suck so hard that it offset so much of ones glory.

Back to PA4 though I don't think I have EVER left a theater as pissed off as I did with this movie. Nothing substantive was added to move the narrative or flesh out the elements introduced in 3 (which I actually like the best if you don't count the original ending to PA before Spielberg loused it up) and overall just infuriated me to see them just go with the ending that they did.

Ughhhhh and I know I'll go see 5 just like I went to see the other saw films after 3... I know better but I become a glutton for punishment...

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Anyone seen Sauna? Its about a group of men (Swedish and Russian) marking the border between Finland and Russia in 1595 after a war. The two Swedes are brothers and they begin to go crazy from all the atrocities they've committed during the war. Eventually they reach a town in the middle of a swamp that has a curious back history. Its pretty light on actual horror elements but its got tons of atmosphere. If anyone knows quite what happens at the end let me know. I'm not sure if I fully tracked that.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

foodfight posted:

Anyone seen Sauna?

No, but after checking imdb, I really want to.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

foodfight posted:

Anyone seen Sauna? Its about a group of men (Swedish and Russian) marking the border between Finland and Russia in 1595 after a war. The two Swedes are brothers and they begin to go crazy from all the atrocities they've committed during the war. Eventually they reach a town in the middle of a swamp that has a curious back history. Its pretty light on actual horror elements but its got tons of atmosphere. If anyone knows quite what happens at the end let me know. I'm not sure if I fully tracked that.

I remember watching this movie years ago and really enjoying it. The whole movie justfeels cold and gross. I second this recommendation. It ends up getting a little trippy but I don't recall being confused by the resolution.

According to IMDb, this is what happened at the end of the movie. It sounds right enough to me.
The Sauna is Eerik's conscience. The village was home to the "ghosts" of everybody he had killed or, though inaction, allowed to die. It exists only in his mind, and stepping inside is basically owning up to what he has done. Knut was his brother, but has passed on, and is now with him and represents humanity in Eerik's severely damaged mindset. Knut forces him to face up to his truths, basically "opening his eyes" to the terror he has caused. The child at the end was Eerik's last victim and the "eye opener" that his guilty conscience cannot ignore.

Strontosaurus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 23, 2012

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

foodfight posted:

I wish I could remember more detailed, but I'm pretty sure they were punished cosmically for the person they left locked up. Silent Hillish.

What a film, though. Such an incredible sense of dread.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I's almost to the end of Excision and I can't bring myself to finish it. This isn't a horror movie, it's one of the saddest Teen dramas I have ever seen. :smith:

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

foodfight posted:

Anyone seen Sauna? Its about a group of men (Swedish and Russian) marking the border between Finland and Russia in 1595 after a war.

Sauna is really a great movie, and didn't nearly get enough attention. I can't say it is a full on horror film, more in line with cerebral horror (think Cronenberg type films), can be slow at times, but it really does portray some interesting things, and it is visually successful in atmosphere and tension at times. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it and look back on it as more of a 'thinking person's horror' more than anything else.

wicked-tribe
Jun 9, 2004

Saw The Devil's Rock on Netflix today and I was surprised. I felt like I was watching a decent 80's horror flick. A bit gory but also pretty good, definitely worth a watch if you like movies with demons and Nazis.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

foodfight posted:

Sauna is an exceptionally beautiful film. Some of the most gorgeous cinematography I've seen in a while. I was captivated after seeing a .gif from the movie and luckily a girl I work with already owned it so she lent it to me.
I loved it. It's effectively creepy, but not necessarily scary. Well, until the last half hour of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

I's almost to the end of Excision and I can't bring myself to finish it. This isn't a horror movie, it's one of the saddest Teen dramas I have ever seen. :smith:

Oh, Excision! The best (and only) way I can describe that movie is as a sick, twisted, female version of Napoleon Dynamite, but with more gore and sex. It just has that strange, "what the gently caress" quality to the plot/characters that I've only really seen employed in coming of age movies like Napoleon Dynamite and Juno. It works well.