Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hagakure got more lines in this chapter than in the rest of the series combined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i do not approve of sad froppy, i do not want to see sad froppy, if there is more sad froppy i will send horikoshi a strongly worded tweet along the lines of NO MORE SAD FROPPY

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was worried for a bit that Tsuyu didn't show her room because she was the mole and had mole-y things in it, but then I remembered that she's literally one of the most popular non-main characters.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I was worried that when we didn't see Tsuyu's room, and the way she was peering at the others, I was worried the Manga was hinting at her being the traitor.

I was pleasantly surprised that wasn't the case, and even more pleasantly surprised that she had a bonding/make-up moment with her friends.

Good chapter good series

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just noticed that the chapter name is "Goodbye Two Digit Numbers....From Now On, Three Digit Numbers!"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
tsuyu ain't the traitor because she had that great side story, she can't possibly be evil!

Waffleman_ posted:

I was worried for a bit that Tsuyu didn't show her room because she was the mole and had mole-y things in it, but then I remembered that she's literally one of the most popular non-main characters.

you know who else was a popular character

Kamina

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

TriffTshngo posted:

I Am Incredibly Excited For Chapter 100

Waffleman_ posted:

I just noticed that the chapter name is "Goodbye Two Digit Numbers....From Now On, Three Digit Numbers!"

I just noticed that the chapter title is just Horikoshi talking about his manga making it to 100 chapters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i figured that she was hiding her room because she was embarrassed that it was some gross frog den or something

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's weird to think that the series has only been running for two years. And it got a whole anime in that time!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Serious Frolicking posted:

that is a small oven. you can't make cake in the microwave.

amazing chapter, though!

Most Japanese microwaves also function as ovens. Cakes are completely doable.

Also, frog girl confirmed as traitor.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wittgen posted:

i had never heard that before, so thanks.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Wittgen posted:

never trust a frog

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

that is a small oven. you can't make cake in the microwave.

This poo poo is basically straight up cake mix, looks like regular cake mix and when it's done, it's got the same consistency as cake. It's not as good as the real thing but basically microwave cake is doable even when not optimal.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

hmm, i see. good point.

If it's good enough for Duff it's good enough for me but maybe he's not such a hard rear end about cakes. :colbert:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought Tokoyami was going to try to seem cool and above it all to the very end, but it seems like he does have a sex drive after all, haha.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 13, 2016

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Chapter was cute as hell :unsmith:

What's with that "Premium Uraraka" illustration? It's like Horikoshi miscounted the number of page and had to add something.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Radish posted:

EDIT: horay it worked again! VVV

We're glad to have people with your talents at our company, keep up the good work.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Petiso posted:

What's with that "Premium Uraraka" illustration? It's like Horikoshi miscounted the number of page and had to add something.

It's because Monster Hunter Uraraka is good.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Petiso posted:

Shonen Jump manga frequently get color pages for the authors to mess with, it would be dumb and boring to use the color page for a normal page at the beginning of a chapter unless it happens to coincide with a cool moment.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No matter what, Tsuyu is the best.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Terper posted:

No matter what, Tsuyu is the best.

This is the truest post.

Showing everyone's private space was a neat method to quickly add some character to everyone in a nice visual way. I'm curious if we'll ever see Bakugau's room since it feels like whatever it is couldn't live up to our imaginations or it will be ironically plain. Another great chapter.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 13, 2016

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I'm really glad this manga takes time for moments like that with Tsuyu. A lot of shonen stuff sticks to fights and gags, earnest feelings can be really tough to convey, but it breathes so much more life into the series, it's great.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Uraraka's room is really nice for a "barren and dull" room or whatever.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Another detail I liked, the girls are all unimpressed with the "hotblooded manliness" of Kirishima's room except for Uraraka, who's always gotten really psyched whenever that subject comes up. She's clearly a fan of shonen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Space-Bird posted:

I'd argue the amount of 'well-doneness' certainly makes it unique. It carries a different voice than most Shonen series, and does it to an exemplary level. Deku isn't a typical shonen lead, Baku is..etc, It certainly holds themes about young boys trying their best, and exciting action, though.. It's a lot more in line with One Piece (which was also an outlier, and now also the biggest Shonen series ever to be conceived.) I'd say it's far from predictable too, most people thought All Might was gonna flat out die, or be a villain at one point, it's a lot easier to be smug in hindsight.

When your examples of shounen "outliers" include two of Shounen Jump's most popular shounen series you might want to reconsider if what you're saying actually makes sense. Also, Deku is a very, very normal shounen lead and I can't really think of a single shounen lead that is like Bakugou (I think you're getting at the "burning spirit" thing, shounen leads are rarely actually angry and ill-natured).

As another poster said, MHA is a very normal shounen. It is very well done, but it still has all the same tropes as most other shounen series.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://twitter.com/puppiesandanime/status/753270140700020736

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

KoB posted:

Shonen Jump manga frequently get color pages for the authors to mess with, it would be dumb and boring to use the color page for a normal page at the beginning of a chapter unless it happens to coincide with a cool moment.

But it's not a color illustration :confused:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hm, it makes no sense that the students should have trouble passing this exam, since they're literally some of the best young heroes in the entire country. If they don't pass it, who would? The only way the pass rate makes sense is if a bunch of random people who aren't even trained to be heroes also take it.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Ytlaya posted:

When your examples of shounen "outliers" include two of Shounen Jump's most popular shounen series you might want to reconsider if what you're saying actually makes sense. Also, Deku is a very, very normal shounen lead and I can't really think of a single shounen lead that is like Bakugou (I think you're getting at the "burning spirit" thing, shounen leads are rarely actually angry and ill-natured).

As another poster said, MHA is a very normal shounen. It is very well done, but it still has all the same tropes as most other shounen series.

I just don't think we are going to agree, I don't see One Piece or BnHA as typical. I think they are huge successes precisely because they are outliers that play with the mold.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Frogs are superb buddies see also Chrono Trigger

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Frogs are superb buddies see also Chrono Trigger

lol if Frog's Theme doesn't start playing in your head whenever Tsuyu shows up.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Uraraka's room is really nice for a "barren and dull" room or whatever.

sad

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Ytlaya posted:

Hm, it makes no sense that the students should have trouble passing this exam, since they're literally some of the best young heroes in the entire country. If they don't pass it, who would? The only way the pass rate makes sense is if a bunch of random people who aren't even trained to be heroes also take it.

It's probably just another Logical Ruse that nobody fact-checks on because Eraserhead holds all the power.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I love Todoroki's response of... I worked really hard.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mulderman posted:

I love Todoroki's response of... I worked really hard.

Given that he was really sleepy the entire chapter. I am guessing this is the reason why.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I love Hagakure's creepy stuffed animal.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

lol if Frog's Theme doesn't start playing in your head whenever Tsuyu shows up.

i legit keep my guitar at arms reach at all times when i'm home so i can play frog's theme when i need to hear frog's theme.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I've only read this whole comic recently and It's so great that Todoroki wasn't the obvious character he would've been in other stories. He's still funny in his own way, like when he commented on his hand curse or now.

BTW I wanted to ask, could anyone link me to the Christmas short comic? The one where All Might ask Deku what he wants as a gift.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think that it's just an option they now have, but it's really rare for people to pass it at this level. Presumably, it takes a few years and a few failures for most folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Midoriya's closest analogs in WSJ are Sena from eyeshield21 and Tsuna from Reborn.

He's a lot less wimpy than either even at the end of their series but he does fit into a mold.

Maybe a bit of kurogane too.