Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TMMadman posted:

It's actually called handcuffing. You start your QB and preferably the #1 receiver of that QB. If that team scores a bunch of points chances are so are you.

that's not handcuffing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JakeP posted:

i thought handcuffing was when you pick up your starting RBs backup in case he gets hurt for insurance

Same thing basically.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

that's not handcuffing

That's what I've always heard it called.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You handcuff QBs with their WRs and RBs with their backups.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Grandicap posted:

I find this one of the hardest things to break through. When 2 players engage in a deathroll and outpace everything else in the thread and derail everything back to their issue whatever it may be.

It's me, I'm the poster that does this. AND I'LL NEVER STOP.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Tremendous Taste posted:

In=I'm with autocorrect

Usually people will shy away from starting a qb and wr from the same team. A bad week and you may have well lost on that decision alone. Those three I listed are good enough to avoid that imo

ah. I figured you meant something like that, the autocorrect just got me.

It was kind of unintentional to have that pairing but yeah, I like the Steelers and don't mind rooting for them. Especially since it creates a win/win for me week 7 when they come to KC.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

EccoRaven posted:

It was inspired by an almost-identical idea that (Pecota?) had in a game last year. The idea of towns just saying "save or sacrifice" to lurkers just as a free choice has always been interesting to me.

That was me, I had something similar in my No More Heroes game based on the Getting Trashed minigame. If I run another game sometime I'm definitely bringing a variant on it back.

E: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549845&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post415803744

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 9, 2015

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
What about having the lunch vote as well as a Kingmaker vote, and being King grants you a vig kill that can only be used on players in the bottom 25% of posters ranked by postcount, and can be used in addition to any other abilities that player may have

I made up a similar role in CPig's CYOR recently where I was a stump that could give out lurker vigs and I had fun with it

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
my lunch vote today was for sushi but we got burritos instead

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kumbamontu posted:

What about having the lunch vote as well as a Kingmaker vote, and being King grants you a vig kill that can only be used on players in the bottom 25% of posters ranked by postcount, and can be used in addition to any other abilities that player may have

I made up a similar role in CPig's CYOR recently where I was a stump that could give out lurker vigs and I had fun with it

I feel like this balances towards scum, so you'd have to account for it in the setup design.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

merk posted:

I feel like this balances towards scum, so you'd have to account for it in the setup design.

This is definitely true. But really, most mechanics created to deal with lurkers is probably going to disproportionately affect the town just because of probability

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Re Lurking: I just modkill anyone that gets below my post count. Then I purposely get my postcount to certain levels. Check I did "events" in Australian Fauna Mafia, floods, heatwave, fires, to thematically kill off lurkers. Only got Bowmore. As a mod, I think you need to be brutal and remorseless.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Closing sign ups in an hour or so.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Amoeba102 posted:

Re Lurking: I just modkill anyone that gets below my post count. Then I purposely get my postcount to certain levels. Check I did "events" in Australian Fauna Mafia, floods, heatwave, fires, to thematically kill off lurkers. Only got Bowmore. As a mod, I think you need to be brutal and remorseless.

The way you handled it was really clever and I enjoyed it a lot, especially not modkilling for fake day actions because of it :v:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I would have only killed people for fake killing or copping actions. I also just copy and pasted an old OP without updating for my newer modding policies. I now allow running near the pool.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

JakeP posted:

my lunch vote today was for sushi but we got burritos instead

Basically the same thing really

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

Casey Novak is the worst Law & Order:SVU ADA. she does garbage that Alex Cabot would never even consider in a million years and loses motions that are completely absurd.

these are my "ecco's at home watching tv" opinions, you read them you cannot unread them.

I didn't even continue reading the rest of the thread just so I could say absolutely true this statement is Novak is a Complete chump.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I bought a pound of sausage. My dinner is going to be a pound of sausage.

It is going to be lovely.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I bought more frozen rice the other day, so I am going to make a delicious dinner. We used to just call it "rice and salsa", but it's rice, ground beef, various cut up vegetables (tonight I'll be using green pepper, mushrooms, onions, and corn), taco seasoning, salsa, and a whole bunch of cheese. Then you eat it with tortilla chips. We used to make a big pot of it. Now I make a pan's worth, only use a little rice, and forgo the chips, but it's still basically the same and delicious and I'm looking forward to it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

I bought a pound of sausage. My dinner is going to be a pound of sausage.

It is going to be lovely.

I've got a pound and a half of ground beef and a half a pound of chorizo. I'm going to cut up some onion and sweat it with some chopped garlic, then toss in the chorizo first, then the ground beef. I'll add salt, pepper and a few other spices and I'll be eating tacos for a week.

Possibly some nachos in there as well because the meat mix stores and reheats pretty well.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

This little guy needs adopting! His owner abandoned him in the deadly wilderness. His name is Bert. To adopt Bert, post "I want to adopt Bert" in the Be a Raccoon! thread. You can find the thread by clicking on Bert.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

TMMadman posted:

I've got a pound and a half of ground beef and a half a pound of chorizo. I'm going to cut up some onion and sweat it with some chopped garlic, then toss in the chorizo first, then the ground beef. I'll add salt, pepper and a few other spices and I'll be eating tacos for a week.

Possibly some nachos in there as well because the meat mix stores and reheats pretty well.

This would last me two days.

I enjoy eating you see.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Last call while I write up the gimmick reveal post.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hey Ecco did you watch Colbert last night? I thought he was great. My dad (who's gonna end up watching him anyways since he is an old person who watches so much CBS) didn't like his monologue but every time I made a comparison to Fallon he agreed with me that Colbert is better.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Tremendous Taste posted:

culture the game you want but recognize that beyond the "haha we're all terrible" the majority of this community is seriously socially maladjusted and almost anyone can make games unpleasant for other players at the drop of a hat

Lol

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
One time I modded a game and told everyone they would get a role and then j gave everyone but like one person a role. He was vanilla.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
This just came up in a game, so don't talk about the context of me bringing it up in that game:

merk posted:

Yeah, SirSam is Scum Joat. "Gotta save my one shots" might be the worst scum lie in 2015.

What do people think about Mafia Awards? The "major" categories could get pretty 2+2-ish, but the off-shoot categories would be funny and interesting, like:
  • Worst fakeclaim by scum or third party
  • Best fakeclaim by town
  • Best fakeclaim by scum or third party
  • Worst scum slip / post

We could get random ideas from the whole community for awards and who should be on the committee that nominates. Then, the nomination committee could do some work in creating the list of options for each award which the whole Discussion Thread would vote on. Each player would get one vote that would be collected privately (could votefinder do this?), and then the awards could get revealed.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

One time I modded a game and told everyone they would get a role and then j gave everyone but like one person a role. He was vanilla.

owns

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

This is a bad idea and you should have waited until after the game was over.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

merk posted:

This just came up in a game, so don't talk about the context of me bringing it up in that game:

What do people think about Mafia Awards? The "major" categories could get pretty 2+2-ish, but the off-shoot categories would be funny and interesting, like:
  • Worst fakeclaim by scum or third party
  • Best fakeclaim by town
  • Best fakeclaim by scum or third party
  • Worst scum slip / post

We could get random ideas from the whole community for awards and who should be on the committee that nominates. Then, the nomination committee could do some work in creating the list of options for each award which the whole Discussion Thread would vote on. Each player would get one vote that would be collected privately (could votefinder do this?), and then the awards could get revealed.

concept sounds great, but im sure it will just be some super circle jerky lame rear end thing so I absolutely support the idea

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Amoeba102 posted:

This is a bad idea

There have been some very very good fakeclaims this year (QPQ in Ecco's game two games ago) and some very funny/fail town gambits this year (CCKeane in Ecco's last game was funny to me after seeing him flip), and even some very funny setup decisions this year (Hal as an actual Death Miller like eight months ago which took 10-15 pages of discussion at the town (me mainly) not believing it). If you ignore the major categories, like "Best Town Performance," I think it would be pretty funny to look back on past games in the year. 50 loves bringing up his Survivor gambit in Lost Mafia, and we'd get to reminisce on plays like that for the past year as a community.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

JakeP posted:

concept sounds great, but im sure it will just be some super circle jerky lame rear end thing so I absolutely support the idea

Yeah, the circle jerky categories aren't interesting:
Best Town Performance
Best Scum Performance
Best Third Party Performance
Best Setup

If we do this, we might try those categories for the first year just to see how bad it is. The committee could even choose to discard them if it's circle jerky in the nomination process.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My favourite recent fake claim of my own was my spirit bomb claim in DBZ Kai mafia that won me the game as scum

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Put in more awards that I will win, even if they're bad.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Yeah the actual complimentary awards are circlejerky and bad. I like the funny ones though.

Then again I'd rather just reminisce instead of actually awarding anything. I like the discussion more than anything that could be structured out.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Opopanax posted:

Put in more awards that I will win, even if they're bad.

Most Likely to Succeed in Bringing Up Canada
Best Canadian Avatar
Most Maple Syrup Eaten
Most Hockey Assumed to Have Watched

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Since we're talking about awards, I'm going to put forth the post that made me laugh the most this year

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

*writhes back and faces sky with arms flailing like Godzilla breathing fire* The Scum Must Die!!!

from PETA mafia Yeah, diqnol ended up being scum

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

chaoslord posted:

Since we're talking about awards, I'm going to put forth the post that made me laugh the most this year

from PETA mafia Yeah, diqnol ended up being scum

I still quote that post, which I still visualize the man from Diqnol's avatar doing/saying.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

BottleKnight posted:

Yeah the actual complimentary awards are circlejerky and bad. I like the funny ones though.

Then again I'd rather just reminisce instead of actually awarding anything. I like the discussion more than anything that could be structured out.

The nomination and voting process kind of forces the discussion.

One complaint voiced by Tremendous Taste awhile ago on why our Discussion Thread is bad is because it's too big and too circle jerky about non-mafia content. This Mafia Awards thing forces us to talk not only about mafia but in particular about mafia played by our community over the last year. Something funny discussed here could cause someone to go read a past game... which I think is what we want out of this thread, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Complimentary awards can be fine as long as they're objectively provable. "Earliest successful scumread", or "Most scum correctly identified in one mass read"