Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05/google-pixel-6-leak-shows-off-distinctive-new-design/

that camera bar :eyepop:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

[glowering at my iphone] at least its loving symmetrical

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
honestly i think it looks great

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lmao

now that's some google quality design right there

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

why is it brown

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

mediaphage posted:

honestly i think it looks great

please do not troll in this, the anroid thread in the funny computer forum

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
dual posting for dual screens

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05/microsoft-surface-duo-fire-sale-puts-device-at-50-off/

weirdly, people didn't buy this?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
$700 is a lot for a gimmick device whose gimmick doesn't actually work in the os they chose

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Hmm... let's see...

• Not waterproof
  • No headphone jack
  • No removable battery
  • No sdcard slot

I don't get it. Waterproof phones tend to remove headphone jacks, sdcard slots and removable batteries, which really makes some customers angry.

Why not just add one or more of these features? At least the headphone jack. And if you have terrible battery life, then you may as well put a removable battery in there too.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

all of that is secondary to the os being a hackjob licensed out to some third party, having the thing never actually working properly.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

sb hermit posted:

Hmm... let's see...

• Not waterproof
  • No headphone jack
  • No removable battery
  • No sdcard slot

I don't get it. Waterproof phones tend to remove headphone jacks, sdcard slots and removable batteries, which really makes some customers angry.

Why not just add one or more of these features? At least the headphone jack. And if you have terrible battery life, then you may as well put a removable battery in there too.

maybe they didnt want it to be a dedicated cum tribute device

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

who the hell wants a removable battery at this point, there's no way that isn't a smaller cell than what manufacturers fit in there anyway. phones can last more than a day with relative ease anyway.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

not my phone, with all the shitposting I do, and all the graphic avs I have to scroll past

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*anroid user, staring intently at a pile of burning dogshit*

"of course nobody wants this. No sd card slot or stylus"

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

all of that is secondary to the os being a hackjob licensed out to some third party, having the thing never actually working properly.

Verge score 6/10

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yes, we see that it's an android

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

maybe i'll be a rebel and buy a oneplus instead of the pixel 6

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sleepwalkers posted:

who the hell wants a removable battery at this point, there's no way that isn't a smaller cell than what manufacturers fit in there anyway. phones can last more than a day with relative ease anyway.

one great thing about the pandemic is that I'm not worried about running down the battery for my phone because I'm always indoors

one bad thing about the pandemic is that I have the bad habit of running down my battery with endless youtube videos and now my battery capacity is total crap.

so a removable battery would certainly help extend the life of this phone by at least another year.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you'd lose probably 50% of your capacity up front to the volume required for the battery case (two layers -- around the cell and the plastic well inside the phone), the door, the contactors, etc. it would defeat the purpose.

if your phone currently lasts you through the day, removable batteries are stupid. just have the guy at the stand in chinatown pry it open and replace the cell for you after two years if you still have your phone then.

if you want a removable battery because your phone doesn't last you through the day, jesus christ man put your phone down sometimes. get a life

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

jesus christ man put your phone down sometimes. get a life

sagebrush, where are you posting?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

sb hermit posted:

one great thing about the pandemic is that I'm not worried about running down the battery for my phone because I'm always indoors

one bad thing about the pandemic is that I have the bad habit of running down my battery with endless youtube videos and now my battery capacity is total crap.

so a removable battery would certainly help extend the life of this phone by at least another year.

the solution to the problem you’re trying to solve is to get an ipad.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i'd settle for a "designed to be serviceable" battery, i.e. the phone comes apart easily enough and the battery pouch isn't literally glued into place

replaceable batteries like on a cordless drill would be hilarious but not practical in any way

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'd prefer a fully replacable battery since the addition of more plastic would perhaps thicken the phone enough that cameras would be flush and it wouldn't wobble on a table.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you can't cut down on handset size

your removable batteries will regret it

ok then don't, just make the phone half a billifuck thicker, that's fine too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

microsoft consistently puts out interesting hardware that is often let down by mediocre software. i think a dual-screened device could be a great bridge between now and when foldable devices really work. but that thing is full of bugs. i still like the idea of it but it's still too much to spend on something i don't need at all

in re the pixel i'm all for people trying out new designs. i legit think it's pretty cool looking. third parties are going to make cases that flatten out the back so whatever most people won't even notice

do we even have solid numbers are how many pixel devices google actually sells?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

mediaphage posted:

in re the pixel i'm all for people trying out new designs. i legit think it's pretty cool looking. third parties are going to make cases that flatten out the back so whatever most people won't even notice
the guy who put out that pic is the same guy who said the pixel 5 would look like this
https://twitter.com/jon_prosser/status/1230477763343212545

but i do hope they go back to the 6p's visor so my goddamn phone can lie flat

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it looks like the tweet you quote doesn't say that it's the final design. regardless the current leaks seem to be getting independent verification though there is still some question as to what the colours will be.

the pixel watch looks good too, though like with all these devices actual use will determine its worth

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mediaphage posted:

do we even have solid numbers are how many pixel devices google actually sells?

lol. no.

they pulled the stats for pixel-only apps because people were using those to estimate the sales volume. it was real bad.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

lol. no.

they pulled the stats for pixel-only apps because people were using those to estimate the sales volume. it was real bad.

not surprised

i imagine it might still be worth it for them to do on some level whether as a halo product for comparison or just as a reference standard, but lol.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

mediaphage posted:

not surprised

i imagine it might still be worth it for them to do on some level whether as a halo product for comparison or just as a reference standard, but lol.

the product line might perform better if it the product group decisively chose one of those objectives over the other but they're googleoids so the objective is always to assemble a promotion package.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sapozhnik posted:

the product line might perform better if it the product group decisively chose one of those objectives over the other but they're googleoids so the objective is always to assemble a promotion package.
weird how their most recent pivot to "perfectly ok devices at midrange prices" didnt exactly set the market on fire

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
i like my pixel well enough and even still if I could go back I'd buy an iphone lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you could buy an iphone right now, today. the only thing stopping you is you

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

hifi posted:

why is it brown

every zune owner will buy one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

samsung looks at the surface duo and says "hold my beer"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

this is objectively neat. but it’ll run android tablet apps so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also it’ll obviously cost like three grand or something stupid i’m sure. but this would be great to slip into a pocket and take if you wanted something to read on or whatever. don’t get me wrong i obvs read a lot on my phone but it’s for sure a worse experience than a larger display.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think the primary problem is that like every folding display to date, it won't work for poo poo

samsung cannot build simple things well, they sure as gently caress can't build a double hinge frame and a flexible screen in a way that will continue to function for even a year of regular use

but yeah, also the software won't work

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

flexible screens are going to suck as long the the coatings are so soft you can permanently damage them with your fingernail

so, forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

i'm the convex and concave creases that will forever distract you while trying to watch a movie on this thing