Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why yes, that clears it all up.

typical values include: loving gibberish.

if you want to know how it works clearly you just read the sores

epic this.

probably the best part of java compared to any other language is its documentation.

the only bad part about it is when you get too tangled up in the FactoryFactoryFactoryFormatSpecifier and even then you probably missed some static convenience method that does exactly what you were trying to accomplish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

If ur reading the javadocs for a factoryfactory either you missed the easy way or the library is poo poo (it's both)

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007

tef posted:

your attachment to the code you write will bring you suffering.

buddhism out of nowhere

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

tef posted:

your attachment to the code you write will bring you suffering.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

rotor posted:

im just sayin that perfect code is not its own reward

I disagree, I make art for art's sake.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
that don't put bread on the table tho

i mean i'm sure some liberal farts :smug: fucker is working on it now but nobody goes to an exhibition to admire beautiful code, sit the gently caress down, shove your lovely layer-breaking XXX FIXME hardcoded specialcasehaving copy-pasted train wreck out the door like the rest of us

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I actually write code for ops' sake. Mostly this involves writing clear simple code, and results in my getting respect from people I don't despise.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

that don't put bread on the table tho

i mean i'm sure some liberal farts :smug: fucker is working on it now but nobody goes to an exhibition to admire beautiful code, sit the gently caress down, shove your lovely layer-breaking XXX FIXME hardcoded specialcasehaving copy-pasted train wreck out the door like the rest of us
there is an e/n story behind this post, please share it here. right here. bend over grab your knees take an almighty breath and with a great heave please share it in this thread

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Zombywuf posted:

i make farts for farts' sake.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

homercles posted:

there is an e/n story behind this post, please share it here. right here. bend over grab your knees take an almighty breath and with a great heave please share it in this thread

I worked in industry once and I had to work on a big Win32 server project that was a three-way trainwreck of Boost fanatic C++, Microsoft style C++, and let's-pretend-it's-Java C++. It had lots of plugins and there was also lots and lots of XML.

It was somewhat strait-jacketed by a very rigid framework written by another team that had long since disowned it, and it was pretty bad in general, but nothing particularly soul crushing. Maybe the bit where they later added composable lambdas to Excel's expression language and allowed those composed lambdas to be compiled and executed externally within this server framework was somewhat outstandingly awful but that's about it

w,tmss

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

Maybe the bit where they later added composable lambdas to Excel's expression language and allowed those composed lambdas to be compiled and executed externally within this server framework was somewhat outstandingly awful but that's about it

Now that sounds like art for art's sake.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Give spergs a boring problem and they'll add complexity to it until it becomes an interesting one.

and if by "art for art's sake" you mean "masturbatory exercise in which it is incredibly painful to do anything more complicated than apply Pythagoras' Theorem", then yes.

I believe they attached semantics to certain cell background colours when they discovered that diff-merging a two-dimensional grid of expressions is actually kind of hard

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 3, 2012

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Zombywuf posted:

l'code pour l'code

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

I believe they attached semantics to certain cell background colours when they discovered that diff-merging a two-dimensional grid of expressions is actually kind of hard

I want to see screenshots of this now.

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what the gently caress is "mode"? where is it defined?
http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/image.htm

python documentation is poo poo
write good docs before you duck type you MORONS
doc before you duck

I'm learning some django right now for a class project and it is so opaque it's ridiculous. The single-line miracle commands have all these caveats and weird edge cases that make it so that you have to tear apart the declarative syntax (which you can only do in specific locations). The worst thing was that in some pages of their docs (which read like an insane wiki) they tell you to put single quotes around your url aliases, because they switched to using quotes a few versions ago, but... when I use the quotes it doesn't work?? Their sample code mixes the two together and the error messages don't point you in the right path. Probably after just a few weeks it'll all become second nature, but I was under the impression this was a professional tool and there's all these little holes.

Shameproof fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 3, 2012

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
don't use django

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

you know what our dumb gay blog website framework needs? metaclasses. that's a thing we should use, in our dumb gay blog website framework.

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

yea for real, I'm really thinking hard about how big a project would have to be before it could be worth using this vs plain old LAMP.

was it good at some point?

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
if you want to use python for the web, use flask

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Jerry SanDisky posted:

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

I actually don't have a choice about this but thanx

What's the best framework for a single-man-month project? Language/IDE doesn't matter.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Shameproof posted:

What's the best framework for a single-man-month project? Language/IDE doesn't matter.

the best framework is the one where you figure out what problem you're trying to solve first before firing up the ol' editor and jamming poo poo into it

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

the best framework is one where you make a todo app.

atm i'm wondering if it's a good idea to send a thank you/follow-up email regarding the interview i had on friday or just to let everything simmer until i hopefully hear back.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

gucci void main posted:

atm i'm wondering if it's a good idea to send a thank you/follow-up email regarding the interview i had on friday or just to let everything simmer until i hopefully hear back.

yes, send a follow-up email a handful of hours after the interview

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
how many fingers do u have/??

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

gucci void main posted:

they're not going to forget you exist. just be patient

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Jerry SanDisky posted:

oooh i hadn't heard of this. looks p cool

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

WHOIS John Galt posted:

the best framework is the one where you figure out what problem you're trying to solve first before firing up the ol' editor and jamming poo poo into it

OK sensei.

I just want to make an automated version of (WARNING Games Link) this dumb fundraiser thing I did, only with books instead of video games.

So just a database, user registration, little bloggies. No user uploads or big files or any kind of technological marvels.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Jonnty posted:

yes they will

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Django is hella crazy and weird. I say this as someone who is a baby with no prior framework experience.

I mean, just today I was reading some of the app code here and then there was a bunch of SQL queries inside a view and I don't even know what the hell

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Shameproof posted:

OK sensei.

I just want to make an automated version of (WARNING Games Link) this dumb fundraiser thing I did, only with books instead of video games.

So just a database, user registration, little bloggies. No user uploads or big files or any kind of technological marvels.

flask is fine for this, it has extensions for sqlalchemy so yeah http://packages.python.org/Flask-SQLAlchemy/

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Jonnty posted:

this is mostly what i was thinking based on the situation. it's a pretty small company and it didn't appear as if they were meeting with a lot of people.

Symbolic Butt posted:

Django is hella crazy and weird. I say this as someone who is a baby with no prior framework experience.

I mean, just today I was reading some of the app code here and then there was a bunch of SQL queries inside a view and I don't even know what the hell

i like a few more things in rails than django based on what i've seen of each. the one thing about django i really liked was having certain things like slugs built in, but there are gems out there which solve that issue. rails routing is kind of driving me nuts but i'm still not really used to it (and i could be much better with ruby in general).

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
django is really simple and the admin view can take away a ton of boilerplate you might need if you do the flask+sqlalchemy route

but it's w/e really. django isn't complex; it just has a rigid structure

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

gucci void main posted:

this is mostly what i was thinking based on the situation. it's a pretty small company and it didn't appear as if they were meeting with a lot of people.

yep. if they forget you then one or both of these are true a) they don't want you b) you don't want them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shameproof posted:

java or c#

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i dont think ive ever used a "framework" that described itself as such

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
thats cause they're frameworks which is antithetical to the google mindset.

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

Shaggar posted:

java or c#

shaggar is ASP.NET good enough now?

cuz if not i think you might just be shaggin

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mvc 3/4 is ok but its still a web thing so its not great. i've been meaning to checkout zk since its mvvm but i havent had the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

java or c#

is java a linux? this is important