Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Waffleman_ posted:

I just wanna be a Sanjuro and cut some fool ronin.

Wick's hatred of ronin never made sense to me. You'd think making the ronin a tempting option before owning someone would be more amusing to him than making one aggressively terrible on every level to disincentivize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis posted:

Yep, L5R is bad at Japanese history all right.

Yeah which is why

Plutonis posted:

It's steeped in historicity? Although I don't know if Burakumin were specially singled out for 'Tsujigiri'.

is a bullshit argument.

It's not Japan, its a fantasy world, where they've chosen to highlight some of the worst aspects of the real world- while at the same time the default assumption is that you are a member of the highest caste that benefits from this arrangement and defends the social order/celestial order whereby poor people are target practice.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

Wick's hatred of ronin never made sense to me. You'd think making the ronin a tempting option before owning someone would be more amusing to him than making one aggressively terrible on every level to disincentivize it.

I think it has to do with the fact that they're a blank slate. Wick seems to prefer, or at least did, keeping PC's tightly controlled and playing a masterless tabula rasa makes that more difficult. Ronin did get a school at one point but I remember it being garbage because it was his, as well as the dev team's, desire to make it a trap.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I think it has to do with the fact that they're a blank slate. Wick seems to prefer, or at least did, keeping PC's tightly controlled and playing a masterless tabula rasa makes that more difficult. Ronin did get a school at one point but I remember it being garbage because it was his, as well as the dev team's, desire to make it a trap.

Yep, Wick loves loving players over, and someone coming to the table with a masterless loner orphan doesn't give him any leverage to do so with.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
hmm don't know much about this wick guy but I'm starting to suspect he might not be a great game-making person

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's just blind murderhobo hatred projected into a genre where that doesn't make sense. Making ronin not garbage, especially in a game that's ostensibly partially based on chanbara movies, doesn't mean everyone would be playing wandering death machines with no social connections.

I'm beginning to think that Wick was bullied by his teen DM because his grudge against D&D is comically exaggerated.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The main issue with class / caste in Legend of the Five Rings, other than crass terminology, is that it's presented as metaphysically, unquestionably right. This is done to the point where the one major organization looking to create a more egalitarian society are presented as a cult of fanatical maniacs who engage in brainwashing and murder and little else. Similarly, commoners wanting to engage in rebellion are more often than not coopted by literal demons. There's some nuance here and there, but in general it's presumed that the majority of the people exist to serve the samurai and their daimyos, and that this is proper and right.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
are there any rpg settings with class struggle (not the wizard kind)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Impermanent posted:

Have you heard of the *punk genre?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wick's particular take on L5R RPGing was using the constraints of Japanese society to place PCs in a no-win situation, where their loyalty to their family and their loyalty to the empire and their sense of honor and their personal feelings and desires all collide to force difficult choices on players. Ronin get to skate away from all that honor-bound house nonsense and so don't play nice with Wick's elaborate plans to gently caress over the players, and so he hates them with the burning fire of a thousand suns. You can play a ronin in one of his games, but he loads you down with so much bullshit baggage that you're as constrained in your actions as any house/clan-bound samurai.

Impermanent posted:

Underground

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Impermanent posted:

Misspent Youth is a game about the oppressed youthful generation telling the oppressors to go gently caress themselves.

Red Planet is Fate Core setting about Soviet propaganda and convincing oppressed people to rebel against their oppressors in class struggle is one of the default adventures.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 5, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Impermanent posted:

Dark Sun

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Impermanent posted:

Red Markets which is a poverty simulator but with zombies where the goal is to claw your way kicking and screaming out of poverty and into stability and safety without going insane in the process.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
actually yeah Red Markets is 100% about surviving various poverty traps set up by late-stage Capitalism under the backdrop of a zombie apocalypse

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hostile V posted:

Red Markets which is a poverty simulator but with zombies where the goal is to claw your way kicking and screaming out of poverty and into stability and safety without going insane in the process.

Spoiler alert: you will fail at this task.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The main issue with class / caste in Legend of the Five Rings, other than crass terminology, is that it's presented as metaphysically, unquestionably right. This is done to the point where the one major organization looking to create a more egalitarian society are presented as a cult of fanatical maniacs who engage in brainwashing and murder and little else. Similarly, commoners wanting to engage in rebellion are more often than not coopted by literal demons. There's some nuance here and there, but in general it's presumed that the majority of the people exist to serve the samurai and their daimyos, and that this is proper and right.
This is really the problem. If all of this caste system stuff was to facilitate playing through a Japanese version of Kundo or Robin Hood it'd be cool and worthwhile. Unfortunately it isn't.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

While the reinforcement of it as 'right and good' as a metaphysical truth (not just an entrenched societal view) is odd, I get what L5R is trying to do and it's repeated in his other game Houses of the Blooded. It's trying to create and enforce that style of fiction about honorable duels and courtly love and general courtliness and filial obligation and all that sort of thing. Being rootless is the opposite of that kind of story.

My first ever exposure to L5R was actually The Dragon novel in the Clan War series. I was just gifted it as a kid by someone who thought it was time to expand my fantasy beyond just European.
I suppose if you squint, Ree Soesbee looks like it could be an Asian name too :downs:
The Dragon is actually reasonably well-written. I think I remember looking up later and finding out a big chunk of context was missing from not reading The Crab first though to find out the backstory of why those guys are now evil.
Although it was pretty cool to read the bit in the novel where the heroine now has a super-jade prosthetic hand and is ready to kick her rival's rear end and then when she sees him SURPRISE he has a magical crabclaw for a hand!

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 5, 2017

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
I've only quickly browsed through it so far. Mechanically it seems very different - the only thing that immediately irks me is it having custom symbol dice. Apart from that I think I'll have to give it a try to see how it plays.

They seem to have gone for the setting of 1st edition which is probably for the best given all of the dumb stuff that happened as a result of the CCG.

Terrible Opinions posted:

This is really the problem. If all of this caste system stuff was to facilitate playing through a Japanese version of Kundo or Robin Hood it'd be cool and worthwhile. Unfortunately it isn't.

Yeah - I remember when I first read the Merchant's Guide to Rokugan and was thinking - well hell, I can really see where these Kolat guys are coming from - I'd be with them. And then a little later it basically spends several paragraphs explaining that their point of view is LITERALLY UNIVERSE BREAKING. I tend to ignore that bit in my games because I think it's dumb - one of my campaigns had a monk-backed peasant rebellion as a major component.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sadly it shows up in 7th Sea too, where you are mechanically punished for making a character that might want to get in a fight but isn't in one of the half-dozen recognized duelist schools.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I will edit this as I continue to have thoughts but as they stand now:

Skipped first part as I've read "THIS IS ROKUGAN" a billion times by now, will maybe go back to it later.

Rings as approaches is interesting and could work well, but I a) forsee arguments of "no I'm totally doing this in a FLASHY WAY so I get to use Fire!" and b) worry they could end up like Fate Accelerated approaches, where you end up just picking one that you're gonna do, and pump that one up forever, and describe yourself as always doing it that way. They're a lot better at saying "uh no, they are actually VERY different in how they approach skills" but, well, it's still a worry.

Clan write ups are great. Especially love the Dragon, a clan I always kinda had issues with understanding, having a way more clear theme, and I especially especially love how each clan has a virtue they kiiiiinda embody, and one or more virtues that they either openly scorn...or, far more likely, that other clans will claim they're doing wrong. I like that MOST great clans aren't gonna be all like "no yeah we're loving terrible at loyalty," but the other great clans might point at them and call bullshit in turn.

The level up tables or whatever are a terrible idea with likewise terrible implementation and legit ruins things hard. It's such an immediate and visceral turn off for me. Congrats, you made leveling up lovely.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

You should email the creators if you've got feedback. Abaddon/Operant/the Kill 6 Billion Demons guy has an account here but he doesn't seem to use it all that much, and idk if he even reads this subforum, but he's been very polite and receptive to feedback so far.

I back his Patreon so I usually leave it there.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Zoro posted:

Misspent Youth is a game about the oppressed youthful generation telling the oppressors to go gently caress themselves.

That looks awesome, how does it go in actual play?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lemon-Lime posted:

I back his Patreon so I usually leave it there.

I really need to get around to doing that one of these days.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Why not the wizard kind? I would pay good money for Les Wizerables.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

fool_of_sound posted:

Have you heard of the *punk genre?
Note that steampunk gets it utterly rear end backwards

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Skipped first part as I've read "THIS IS ROKUGAN" a billion times by now, will maybe go back to it later.

Rings as approaches is interesting and could work well, but I a) forsee arguments of "no I'm totally doing this in a FLASHY WAY so I get to use Fire!" and b) worry they could end up like Fate Accelerated approaches, where you end up just picking one that you're gonna do, and pump that one up forever, and describe yourself as always doing it that way. They're a lot better at saying "uh no, they are actually VERY different in how they approach skills" but, well, it's still a worry.

Clan write ups are great. Especially love the Dragon, a clan I always kinda had issues with understanding, having a way more clear theme, and I especially especially love how each clan has a virtue they kiiiiinda embody, and one or more virtues that they either openly scorn...or, far more likely, that other clans will claim they're doing wrong. I like that MOST great clans aren't gonna be all like "no yeah we're loving terrible at loyalty," but the other great clans might point at them and call bullshit in turn.

The level up tables or whatever are a terrible idea with likewise terrible implementation and legit ruins things hard. It's such an immediate and visceral turn off for me. Congrats, you made leveling up lovely.

Yeah that's the number one thing they need to change about the mechanics right now. Nothing else jumps out to me as extremely bad as that.

Character creation itself just being the twenty questions is probably my favorite thing along with advantages/disadvantages being completely reworked to meaningful narrative mechanics instead of stupid poo poo you take to squeeze some more XP out.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 5, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ProfessorCirno posted:

The Unicorn School is hilarious. Basic power: your horse helps you. Capstone power: you can summon your horse with a whistle, even if it's dead.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The leveling system reminds me of Warhammer Fantasy and it's weird. It doesn't personally bother me too much but it's a strange choice.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
And how hard would it be to just ignore the requirements and just use XP spent if you don't like it?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The leveling system reminds me of Warhammer Fantasy and it's weird. It doesn't personally bother me too much but it's a strange choice.

Not surprising considering the FFG Star Wars game are just a thinly-disguised reskin of Dark Heresy, which is itself a thinly-disguised reskin of WFRP.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Dragon entry in the mechanic that gives you a rank in a Skill that your clan normally disdains is hilarious to me because it feels like the biggest stretch.

"Wait what do the Dragon hate?" "...Boats?"

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

And how hard would it be to just ignore the requirements and just use XP spent if you don't like it?

The breakdown of the system is that you have to spend X amount of XP on stats to go up to the next rank. Much like careers in WFRPG, you have preset stats for each rank.

You could take away the specific stats and just make it so that once you spend X, you go up in rank. I wouldn't really start planning stuff though until the final product is out since they could scrap it, as FFG has done in the past, and start over or just use the older editions.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Lemon-Lime posted:

Not surprising considering the FFG Star Wars game are just a thinly-disguised reskin of Dark Heresy, which is itself a thinly-disguised reskin of WFRP.

What? First off Dark Heresy was originally made by Black Industries not FFG, so that's where the system comes from. Second WFRP 3rd edition, the one made by FFG users a different system where they first started the custom dice advantage/disadvantage etc. Which they then used for Star Wars, it's a completely different system then Dark Heresy and previous WFRP which is a percentile system.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

bewilderment posted:

Being rootless is the opposite of that kind of story.

The thing with L5R is that there are the ronin that are core main characters of the first two story arcs (Toturi, Ginawa, Hiroru) so it very much feels like a "do as I say, not as I do".

You could take away the specific stats and just make it so that once you spend X, you go up in rank. I wouldn't really start planning stuff though until the final product is out since they could scrap it, as FFG has done in the past, and start over or just use the older editions.

Ugh. That's better than L5R 1e-4e's Insight, but given that Insight is one of the worst advancement systems I've seen, that's not saying much.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The breakdown of the system is that you have to spend X amount of XP on stats to go up to the next rank. Much like careers in WFRPG, you have preset stats for each rank.

So it's cultivation XP ala Legends of the Wulin, except you have to spend it on very specific things? Well, that's...a thing you could do, I guess.

Actually it kind of reminds of cultivation XP married to the ridiculuous "Tager awakening" thing from Cthulhutech' where to awaken your super-powered fire monster form you'd have to start 300 small fires, 200 medium fires and at least one fire that burned out of control and killed a person you didn't intend to burn.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Yeah which is why

is a bullshit argument.

It's not Japan, its a fantasy world, where they've chosen to highlight some of the worst aspects of the real world- while at the same time the default assumption is that you are a member of the highest caste that benefits from this arrangement and defends the social order/celestial order whereby poor people are target practice.

Yeah honestly I'd try to downplay the Hinin stuff and make "sword-testing" something that is reserved just to convicted criminals while doing so to random commoners something really frowned upon. Hell that could even spawn a cool character class or archetype based on "Beheader" Asaemon from Lone Wolf and Cub/Samurai Executioner, the dude whose official job is to test new swords made for bigwigs on criminals.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ugh. That's better than L5R 1e-4e's Insight, but given that Insight is one of the worst advancement systems I've seen, that's not saying much.
I've always wanted to try to fix L5R (at least 4e) but haven't because of a lot of reasons. Most of the issues are easy enough to fix (call raises after rolling, flat xp costs) but how would you go about fixing Insight? Just say "after you spend N xp, rank up"? But then how do you determine the amount of xp needed?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Not surprising considering the FFG Star Wars game are just a thinly-disguised reskin of Dark Heresy

Bwuh??????

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Did anyone ever do a detailed breakdown of the probabilities in Cortex Plus that I could read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The actual worst thing about this new edition is the Mantis aren't a Great Clan.

• Locked thread