Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243275397/air-umbrella

Air-Umbrella.

Why buy a cheap umbrella that works for life when you can have a battery-powered electronic wind-blowing umbrella that costs a ton of money, only works for 30 minutes, and has to be constantly recharged?

Looks vaguely like one of those totally-not-a-dildo massagers sold at sharper image.
But wait until you see these diagrams! (MS paint; oh yes)

Oh, so that's where the rain goes.

That's a little confusing

welp now that's cleared up

Hilariously CNet totally bought into the idea and wrote an article all about it:
http://www.cnet.com/news/umbrella-keeps-you-dry-with-invisible-force-field-of-air/

Also there's a small one for females, because women can't handle big manly umbrellas. And then there's two other versions, because reasons.
It works for one or two people only, unless there isn't much rain in which case it suddenly becomes available for more people.
Have fun crowding around the person holding the vibrator!

CNET was shilling this poo poo years before Kickstarter was even a thing.

I wish I gave enough of a poo poo to resurrect the "lol at designers who have never been in the same room as an engineer" thread from PYF because the thing is that this insane pie-in-the-sky impractical futurist minimalist bullshit has been around forever, it's just never had a platform to cross over from the circlejerk that is the design community until KS came along.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rudager posted:

To be honest, I laughed at the thought of some oblivious guy blowing ran in other people faces with his dildo as he walks down the street with a big poo poo eating grin.

I would fund at a pretty high tier if I could be certain I would always be that guy.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Subjunctive posted:

I would fund at a pretty high tier if I could be certain I would always be that guy.

Straight up. If it worked I'd loving well buy two.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The most ideas product there ever was.

If it worked why isn't it at the Sharper Image already :smug:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

pathetic little tramp posted:

It's a pice of tape you put over the ethernet port isn't it.

Finally, a worthy successor to the nvidia motherboard firewall that bluescreened your pc whenever it received incoming network traffic.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Zaphod42 posted:

Hilariously CNet totally bought into the idea and wrote an article all about it:
http://www.cnet.com/news/umbrella-keeps-you-dry-with-invisible-force-field-of-air/

Cnet posted:

it would eliminate that annoying inside-out thing normal umbrellas do in high winds.

Because there's no way high winds would interfere with an umbrella which relies on moving air to blow rain away...

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I guess a gopro equipped model would do great in japan for upskirt pantushot

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

One of my friends is going nuts about the anonabox (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/augustgermar/anonabox-a-tor-hardware-router/), but I'm skeptical. Can someone tell me if there's anything wrong with it? Aside from the fact that Tor is obviously not as anonymous as they say it is, given all the people who've been arrested for using Silk Road.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rosalind posted:

One of my friends is going nuts about the anonabox (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/augustgermar/anonabox-a-tor-hardware-router/), but I'm skeptical. Can someone tell me if there's anything wrong with it? Aside from the fact that Tor is obviously not as anonymous as they say it is, given all the people who've been arrested for using Silk Road.

You probably want to be running Tor in a VM of some kind that you can nuke if there's trouble. When the chinapolice burst in on you for your political dissidence, a hardware Tor box is kinda hard proof that you're the guy.

It's also prevent you from running your connection through any additional proxies before connecting to Tor.

Also I think purchasing a piece of hardware specifically for connecting to Tor would probably put you on the same watchlists as downloading it in any area that's actively trying to track Tor users.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Rosalind posted:

Biggest issue with a device like this is that people will use it for everything they do online, which means both polluting your anonymous use with logins to your actual facebook account etc, and allowing bad end nodes to steal your unencrypted traffic.

If you're some kind of revolutionary or dissident or whatever, you need to separate your compromising online activity from your normal online activity completely, and a device like this does nothing to help that.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Seems like a cool idea at least, but this made me laugh:

"buy our box and become completely anonymous online!"

quote:

Pledge $51 or more

4052 backers

"The House Special"
Get your name on the sponsors page of our website, two stickers, AND your very own fully functional anonabox router from the first production batch! Just plug it in and you are ready to go. Kit includes one anonabox, one usb power cable, and unlimited good karma.

Estimated delivery: Jan 2015
Add $15 USD to ship outside the US

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Supreme Court posted:

Seems like a cool idea at least, but this made me laugh:

"buy our box and become completely anonymous online!"

Clearly this is just an excellent honeytrap.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rosalind posted:

Here's what's wrong with it: Your computer, which you would presumably connect to this router, is capable of doing the exact same thing for free.

The idea I guess is that its idiot-proof security, but there is no such loving thing.

"For $50 we will download this free software for you"

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Oct 14, 2014

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I just want to say that 'anonabox' sounds like another monstrous masturbatory device.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Paladinus posted:

I just want to say that 'anonabox' sounds like another monstrous masturbatory device.

You're getting confused with the Onanobox.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

I must be getting old, because to me it sounds like one of those things (beige box, etc) that you'd use to steal phone service from people.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Apparently this "Anonabox" is just ripping off some already existing Chinese made product, here's some quoted info from a reddit post:

quote:

Hi guys,

So everyone noticed the massive hype about Anonabox router that is supposed to be used for automatic "anonymization" worldwide.

I didn't like it from the start, considering I've been using the same on Raspberry Pi, WR703n clone called Gl-iNet (powered by OpenWRT) and because it looked like devices mentioned above.

What really pissed me off is because they said THEY had built FOUR prototypes before.

Picture: https://i.imgur.com/wgpd2bh.png

First on the left is a board that looks like PC Engines ALIX board, I don't recognize numbers 2 and 3, but 4th is definitely a Chinese clone of TL-WR703N (and there's gazillion of them).

How is this THEIR prototype and how is the hardware open source? As for software, they published some code, since I'm not a coder I won't judge it but it looks like OpenWRT to me.

Here's Anonabox 4th prototype with picture of Chinese router:

https://i.imgur.com/dvBjzJO.jpg (credit goes to /u/cstyves)

Here's PC Engines Alix http://www.pcengines.ch/pic/alix.jpg

See anything similar?

YOU CAN EVEN BUY THEIR PROTOTYPE ON ALIEXPRESS FOR 20$: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...1691403728.html

I bet if you order thousands you get each under 10$...

So to keep things short, here's what bothers me:

They say hardware and software is open source, which isn't the case
They say they had four prototypes and all are THEIR prototypes. Which is a blatant lie, they are reselling Chinese devices.
They will sell the device for about 50$, while the Chinese ones go under 20$.

I don't mind having TOR enabled router, but I most certainly don't want to give money to a campaign that's making false claims and it can be a scam. What makes things worse, they already have 367,119 $ on their campaign.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/augustgermar/anonabox-a-tor-hardware-router

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

homewrecker posted:

Apparently this "Anonabox" is just ripping off some already existing Chinese made product, here's some quoted info from a reddit post:

It shouldn't be a surprise, 90% of the electronic devices (that are technically possible anyway) on Kickstarter follow that exact same business model.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Oh hey guys it's the potato salad of programming

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/408326236/hello-world-0

except this guy will get no money

ironically

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You probably want to be running Tor in a VM of some kind that you can nuke if there's trouble. When the chinapolice burst in on you for your political dissidence, a hardware Tor box is kinda hard proof that you're the guy.

Computer security and encryption are complicated things, and the situation you've described is too difficult for most people. A physical device that sits between your PC and the internet and somehow makes everything safe, is simple enough to understand. Because computers are magic to most. But it's not actually very secure as you've just pointed out.

It's depressing to see how much money has been thrown at it, but it does show that there's a need/want for such a simple solution.

Stick Insect has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Oct 15, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Here's what's wrong with it: Your computer, which you would presumably connect to this router, is capable of doing the exact same thing for free.

The idea I guess is that its idiot-proof security, but there is no such loving thing.

"For $50 we will download this free software for you"

For $19.99 I will ship you this Ubuntu starter pack dvd

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

Oh hey guys it's the potato salad of programming

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/408326236/hello-world-0

except this guy will get no money

ironically

The tragic thing is he might have raised a few his initial goal if he set his initial goal to $5 and priced his tiers lower.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

homewrecker posted:

I told you. Typefaces can hint to a lot of stuff sometimes.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Urgh got one for a maid cafe

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ichigo-cosplay-cafe

quote:

Ichigo Cafe: Edmonton's only Maid and Cosplay Cafe!

Short Summary
Ichigo Cafe has launched in Edmonton but lacks the space and resources to grow. We turn to you to help us get a better, more permanent location and provide a better environment for our customers. Being Edmonton's ONLY Maid and Cosplay cafe, and now realizing how much of a demand there is for it, we want to do this right. Goshujin-Sama, Ojou-Sama, please read on!

What We Need & What You Get
Ichigo needs your help to expand into a bigger space. We will use these funds to:

Paint the new space
Get tables and seats
Have a stage installed for the Maid performances
Cover some Leasehold improvements
Of course, we dont ask for anything for nothing. We have some great perks available. Look over to your right and see what we have to offer!

The Impact
Your support will make a large impact on how we are able to proceed as a business. The ability to offer more Maid services and serve more customers depend on the bigger space as the one we currently occupy is limited and can only hold 20 customers at a time. Your contributions, however small will help us achieve our goal

So this isn't even to open one, it's to raise money for a better one which isn't a dump.

However my favorite part is the $1000.00 "stalker" package

quote:

MASTER III - $1000.00

You will receive Lifetime Membership to the cafe, waiving all Admission fees on each visit. You will receive a photo with your favorite maid each visit as well as the ability to choose your maid instead of going by rotation. You will also get a store credit for each visit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"Edmonton's Only" doesn't typically convey a strong message of economic viability.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Shadoer posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ichigo-cosplay-cafe

So this isn't even to open one, it's to raise money for a better one which isn't a dump.

However my favorite part is the $1000.00 "stalker" package

God drat I want to comment and call him a creep, but like hell am I donating a dollar.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Tiberius Thyben posted:

God drat I want to comment and call him a creep, but like hell am I donating a dollar.

Yeah same here... then again with a comment like this, it's so tempting

quote:

As a contributor to this I will say that THIS WILL HAPPEN!
I know a seldom few people in the Edmonton area that would help in any way they can, so I must spread the word…
Let it be known that Cosplay Cafe is a place where anime people can join and find more friends.
A place where we can revel in the joys of cosplays.
A place we can call home!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shadoer posted:

This is a fetish thing, isn't it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The way it's been described to me is that it's a way for people to feel "dominant" over a person and have every need of yours taken care of, but are too squeamish to say get smashed at a strip bar or something.

So whereas a stripbar you can pay for a lap dance, at a maidcafe you can apparently pay a maid to stare "longingly into your eyes".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shadoer posted:

at a maidcafe you can apparently pay a maid to stare "longingly into your eyes".

She'll call you "master" and draw a love heart on your omelette with ketchup :japan:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

At least here in Taiwan, maid cafes are quite popular with Serious Businesspeople. They can go in and meet with whoever and talk about whatever in confidence because they know no-one is going to listen to anyone who says "I was in a maid cafe and overheard...."

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

the $1000 tier seems like it would bite them in the rear end. Anyone obsessed enough to donate a grand to this poo poo is likely gonna be a) unpleasant in some way and b) coming into that cafe a LOT. like every day. And there are ten available. Imagine having ten weird guys in at once ALL of whom are there without paying, all of whom get to choose which poor girl is serving them (which probably means trouble with overlapping demands for the one Asian employee) and all of whom are getting free tea and cake *each visit* (not a total store credit that they work through till it's gone, but each visit, forever).

Hell, I'd pay a grand for LIFETIME store credit EACH VISIT at a cafe, get a coffee each day before work and you've paid for it in like 6 months, but they still have to feed your rear end for literally the rest of your life. Assuming it's enough credit to get a drink that is, it could just be a lovely discount

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
To be fair, any cafe dumb enough to offer something like that is going have a lifetime of roughly zero days.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's Hooters for paedophiles. Replace 'master' with 'daddy' and you'd have the exact same experience without the thin veneer of acceptability.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

You know, I was thinking this thing was probably a scam since I couldn't find facebook or website link on their campaign site. Like you'd think that if they've been open for a while, they'd list it.

Welp... after a bit of google it turns out it is sort of a scam as this maid cafe has been an "event" held a few times on Sunday at a place called "Sporty's Soup and Sandwich".

https://www.facebook.com/Sportysedmonton

There's also no mention of the kickstarter there. So either the owner is

A) Turning his cafe into a maid cafe
B) The guy running the event is using the money from Indiegogo to start his own cafe.
C) The owner wants free money and part of the motivation for this is that as the Maid Cafe is an "event" that falls sometime on Sunday, stuff like a "Credit every time you come to the cafe" becomes more financially manageable.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It kind of is. But at the same time not necessarily. Japan's 'culture of cuteness' is weird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLIFqfOFVhA

E: that said, importing this aspect of Japanese culture out of its original context is invariably creepy.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Oct 15, 2014

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

E: that said, importing this aspect of Japanese culture out of its original context is invariably creepy.

yeah those 20yo girls cheering like babies at a fifty year old journalist and calling him my lord is really not creepy and embarrassing

Tidy Flea
May 2, 2013

Shadoer posted:

You know, I was thinking this thing was probably a scam since I couldn't find facebook or website link on their campaign site. Like you'd think that if they've been open for a while, they'd list it.

Welp... after a bit of google it turns out it is sort of a scam as this maid cafe has been an "event" held a few times on Sunday at a place called "Sporty's Soup and Sandwich".

https://www.facebook.com/Sportysedmonton

There's also no mention of the kickstarter there. So either the owner is

A) Turning his cafe into a maid cafe
B) The guy running the event is using the money from Indiegogo to start his own cafe.
C) The owner wants free money and part of the motivation for this is that as the Maid Cafe is an "event" that falls sometime on Sunday, stuff like a "Credit every time you come to the cafe" becomes more financially manageable.

They have a tumblr:

http://ichigomaidcafe.tumblr.com/about posted:

About the Cafe!

Sporty’s Soup and Sandwich presents: ICHIGO CAFE!!! Edmonton’s only Maid Cafe with a special menu only available during the cafe! Come and be served by cute girls in maid dresses and a handsome butler!

Time: Every Sunday from 12 - 5:30 PM

General Admission: $2

Autographed digital picture with maid/butler by Cyclops Photo Studio: $10
Additional maids in picture: $3

Interview your maid/butler on High-Def video, 1 question: $15
Interview your maid/butler on High-Def video, 2 questions: $20

Play a game with your maid: $5

So you'd have to really earn the name to get the value out of that $1000 stalker package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Oh god, looking at that tumblr page is like having acid thrown right into my eyes. It's hideous.

Did find the "meet the Maids" section though. Love some of these profiles:

quote:

Name: Kissa

Favourite animal: Kittens! =^3^=

Favourite colour: Pink! o3o

Favourite food: Does milk count? :o

Tell us a random fact about yourself!: I LOVE being scratched behind my ears and often purr!